• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Under the Southern Cross, Anything is Possible!" | Mike Jones Support Thread

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
It's a bit of wishful thinking, but there will be around 10 games announced at the VGA this year. What if...one of them was Startropics? Aha haha, just kidding...unless...?

Also, found this artwork of Mike that I wanted to share. It looks real good!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
https://twitter.com/JonComms/status/1204319685401042944

Jon from GameXplain usually has insider info. If he says that the fifth fighter could be a "literally who", that looks good for Mike.
That just seems to be him commenting on Smash speculation in general, not any kind of implied leak about who it could be. At the last Game Awards, we got Joker, who is pretty unknown compared to the other third party characters in the game aside from Bayonetta. (his game was critically acclaimed and sold well, but has nowhere near the history of Mega Man, Sonic, Cloud, etc.)

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
That just seems to be him commenting on Smash speculation in general, not any kind of implied leak about who it could be. At the last Game Awards, we got Joker, who is pretty unknown compared to the other third party characters in the game aside from Bayonetta. (his game was critically acclaimed and sold well, but has nowhere near the history of Mega Man, Sonic, Cloud, etc.)
It's also worth noting that Sakurai said pretty much the same thing in the Terry presentation.
ELad8d3X0AE_lI1.png

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Just one year short, wonderful.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I want Mike in smash.

I want Zoda in smash.

I want a remake of star tropics 1 with the star tropics 2 ability to jump diagonally thrown in. And a 16 bit color pallette. And 2 can get one as well. Like Mario all stars. If they need to go full squaresoft “2d hd”, so be it.

I want a 16 bit star tropics game to be the series version of link to the past. It should feature Mike fighting zoda in space and heavily reference Star Wars, specifically the special editions of the 90s, though if Zoda has to be a Darth Maul reference, I wouldn’t complain.

I want a crypt of the necrodancer cadence of startropics game, because it’s a zelda game with a grid. The overlap is there.

I want a lot more than this too.

So santa clause, please give me a majority share in Nintendo for christmas.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Also, in order to fix the timeline we need:
StarTropics Land (Gameboy)
StarTropics 64
StarTropics Blue Horizon (Gamecube). With compatibility with
StarTropics Adventure (GBA).
StarTropics on Wii (it’s never too late!)
StarTropics Dark Sails (DS).
StarTropics on Nintendoland for the Wii U.
And StarTropics on Switch.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Oddball

Smash Lord
Usually when you find Star Tropcis official art is in pretty horrible quality. Tiny, badly blurred, etc. I'm posting this one here because it's actually fairly good quality. So if anybody needs Star Tropics 2 art... there ya' go!

Personally, I think Mike looks weird with a sword.
Mike Jones.jpg

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
happy year of startropics everyone! lets make this year the big 30th the series deserves!!!​

Hey guys does anyone know where I can find a vector of the ST boxart logo? I need it for a project "eyes emoji"

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Looks like Christmas comes a little late this year (or early depending on how you look at it) for StarTropics fans. I ended up finding the issue of Nintendo Power that had the retrospective (a featured column called Playback) on Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II. It is in the April 2008 issue (V227) on page 82 (the game featured on the cover is Mario Kart Wii).

Here is a transcript of the article. It was written by George Sinfield, who was one of the screenwriters for the title.

Headline for the article:
"The last adventure for the NES showcased one of Nintendo's brightest hardware and software developing talents"

A bit of text under a screenshot:
"Zoda's Revenge was a great action-adventure title for its day- it's just a shame that it was release when the NES was on its way out."

The actual article itself:

Though Shigeru Miyamoto is the public face of Nintendo game development (and deservedly so), a handful of longstanding designers and engineers at Nintendo Co. Ltd. in Japan had contributed just as much to the company's success. One member of that group, Genyo Takeda, may be best known for his numerous contributions to console-hardware development, but he's had his share of software successes, too -- particularly in the arcade and NES days. His Punch-Out!! is still a favorite among retro gaming fans, and the NES StarTropics titles are mini adventure-gaming classics that never quite got their due.

As a writer for Nintendo Power in the 1990's, I had the opportunity to help Takeda's R&D3 team develop the story and write the dialog for the StarTropics sequel. After a few phone calls, with Takeda in which he gave me his ideas for a time-travel story and the use of the seven Tetris block shapes (Tetrads) as treasures, I left for Kyoto for two weeks to work directly with his team.

Enamored with Western culture, Takeda wanted to select time periods and figures from fiction and history for the game that would be familiar to a North American audience. His first suggestion was the Wild West. From there, we spun off to the caveman era, medieval times, the Renaissance, and England's Victorian period. Eager to research Sherlock Holmes (who appears in the game), while in Japan, I bought a collection of the detective's adventures that were simplified for first-time English readers (the only English Holmes books that I could find): the sort of "see spot run" version of The Hound of the Baskervilles.

While not putting words in the mouths of game characters, I looked over the shoulders of the team members -- map builders, programmers, and artists -- as they developed puzzles and enemy encounters for the Zelda-style adventure. With lessons learned from development of the first game, the team sought to improve gameplay, particularly in the area of offering diagonal movement for the character.

When it became apparent that the original title was not going to be a big hit, the sequel was completed but its eventual release was delayed. It was eventually put into the market in 1994 (well into the reign of the Super NES) as one of the company's last NES titles (along with Wario's Woods). The subtitle, Zoda's Revenge, was promoted to the the main title because it was not clear that StarTropics II would be much of a draw.

Still, those who did play the game were treated to a quirky title with lots of humor and action -- everything that players enjoy from gaming's golden age. - George S."

We now have confirmation that StarTropics II indeed had its original release delayed. We also now have a confirmation as to why StarTropics II was not the lead in for the title, and was instead called Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II. I am personally glad the game was released at all. As I said before, it is a very good NES game, and its a shame that many StarTropics fans are still unaware of its existence. Hopefully, it will be released for the Switch Online's NES catalog at some point this year.

It is not much but it does provide some interesting insight to the development of Zoda's Revenge, as well as give some confirmations to some things that were strongly suspected among StarTropics fans.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
That was a great post, ChronoBound.

Now here's Mike on the eshop:
mjChallenger_Pack_Eshop.png

shoutouts to Templates4Smash on Twitter for this template

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

smash puffle

Smash Ace
It seems Jon from GameXplain is a man of culture. (lol guys what if this was a hint for something st related coming soon)

we realized something in the discord a few moments ago... honestly this is probably just NoA being dumb here and not NoJ being NoJ
Sin título.png

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This looks promising. What are you guys' thoughts on this?
Looks neat, does it have a name yet? I'd like to keep it in mind.

Tortfeasor

Smash Cadet
Ah Mike Jones would be great! He'd bring a lot of ideas that could be worked into his moveset. It'd be a great out-of-left field addition similar to Ice Climbers in Melee or Pit in Brawl. I imagine he'd be similar to Simon and Richter in that he uses a lot of tools and his weapon is a yo-yo.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I think the Island Star, formerly the yo yo, would make a good Neutral Special. At 0%, start with the Super Nova. At 50% damage, the weapon is reduced to the Shooting Star and when Mike gets to 100% damage, he uses the Island Star. I don't remember if the damage given was reduced with the downgraded weapon in the original, but the range was more diminished the lower Mike's health was.

I was dreaming of a possible trailer for Mike. Enlist the same company that did the animation Link's Awakeing and have a sequence similar the the intro, but with Young Link. After being shipwrecked, he wakes up on the shore. After walking a bit, he spots a craft. At this point, it isn't quite clear to the audience what it is that caught his attention, but it is the Sub-C. Thinking he might find help there, he starts to run towards it when he is ambushed by a large snake, the C-Serpent. Young Link tries to fend it off, but in his weakened state, the battle is difficult. The snake opens his mouth and lunges forward to strike when an object bops him on the nose. It is the Island Star. Young Link looks to see who it is and it is revealed to be Mike. Together, they take down the snake.

I was thinking of pairing Mike with Link because the gameplay of Startropics was like Zelda's and both Link's Awakening and Startropics had storms that resulted in shipwreck as a plot element.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I was dreaming of a possible trailer for Mike. Enlist the same company that did the animation Link's Awakeing and have a sequence similar the the intro, but with Young Link. After being shipwrecked, he wakes up on the shore. After walking a bit, he spots a craft. At this point, it isn't quite clear to the audience what it is that caught his attention, but it is the Sub-C. Thinking he might find help there, he starts to run towards it when he is ambushed by a large snake, the C-Serpent. Young Link tries to fend it off, but in his weakened state, the battle is difficult. The snake opens his mouth and lunges forward to strike when an object bops him on the nose. It is the Island Star. Young Link looks to see who it is and it is revealed to be Mike. Together, they take down the snake.

I was thinking of pairing Mike with Link because the gameplay of Startropics was like Zelda's and both Link's Awakening and Startropics had storms that resulted in shipwreck as a plot element.
That's a neat idea for a trailer! Didn't thought of that before.

Here's the 30th anniversary logo we're going to use:
yearofstartropicslogo.png

I really need to get a lot of things done this year, huh?
Tweet: https://twitter.com/SmashTropics/status/1221213296818380807

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
So this is happening pretty soon! This was posted from the ST speedrunning Discord and I thought some of you might be interested.
> Hey all. Have a remix update!! SNESTropics (Super Nintendo StarTropics Remix album) has been going well and I'm nearly done writing everything. Not all the tracks will be on the album but I'd say 90% or more-ish and all the main tracks are on there. Looking at a release date in March. Once everything is written I have to mix and master everything for proper release which takes a little bit of time.
>
> It will be FREE and streaming on my bandcamp and soundcloud!! You can also pay what you want with royalties going to the original composer (Yoshio Hirai). I'm really excited to finish this and hope you guys enjoy it.
> ALSO: I will be doing a live performance of a handful of tracks on Feb 29th (approx. 8:54pm PST) for a charity marathon benefiting Save the Children on http://www.twitch.tv/pixels4peace
>
> These are synth performance streams with fun graphics and other fun stuff, so if you'd like to hear some tracks from the album early you can tune in. That's all! Thanks!

Here's also a ST logo for free use:
startropicslogo.png

smash puffle

Smash Ace
My dissapointment is inmesurable, and my day is ruined.
(Seriously, when was the last time you thought of, or even heard of Eliminator Boat Duel!? I've never even heard of this game before!!!)

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Voted!

Mike Jones was first on my list.

Just thought I’d share the rest of my list, because.

- Doomguy
- Crono
- Ryu Hayabusa
- Joe Musashi
- Tails

(It should have stopped at Doomguy since Mike and Doomguy would set me for life, but once posted I remembered... I shouldn’t have stopped at Mike, I should have included Zoda!)

Edit: Been getting awfully nostalgic about StarTropics today. I really want to do more ST again. Last thing I completed was my PunchTropics vid.. like 10 years ago. (And fan art a few years ago as well).

Looks like Christmas comes a little late this year (or early depending on how you look at it) for StarTropics fans. I ended up finding the issue of Nintendo Power that had the retrospective (a featured column called Playback) on Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II. It is in the April 2008 issue (V227) on page 82 (the game featured on the cover is Mario Kart Wii).

Here is a transcript of the article. It was written by George Sinfield, who was one of the screenwriters for the title.

Headline for the article:
"The last adventure for the NES showcased one of Nintendo's brightest hardware and software developing talents"

A bit of text under a screenshot:
"Zoda's Revenge was a great action-adventure title for its day- it's just a shame that it was release when the NES was on its way out."

The actual article itself:

Though Shigeru Miyamoto is the public face of Nintendo game development (and deservedly so), a handful of longstanding designers and engineers at Nintendo Co. Ltd. in Japan had contributed just as much to the company's success. One member of that group, Genyo Takeda, may be best known for his numerous contributions to console-hardware development, but he's had his share of software successes, too -- particularly in the arcade and NES days. His Punch-Out!! is still a favorite among retro gaming fans, and the NES StarTropics titles are mini adventure-gaming classics that never quite got their due.

As a writer for Nintendo Power in the 1990's, I had the opportunity to help Takeda's R&D3 team develop the story and write the dialog for the StarTropics sequel. After a few phone calls, with Takeda in which he gave me his ideas for a time-travel story and the use of the seven Tetris block shapes (Tetrads) as treasures, I left for Kyoto for two weeks to work directly with his team.

Enamored with Western culture, Takeda wanted to select time periods and figures from fiction and history for the game that would be familiar to a North American audience. His first suggestion was the Wild West. From there, we spun off to the caveman era, medieval times, the Renaissance, and England's Victorian period. Eager to research Sherlock Holmes (who appears in the game), while in Japan, I bought a collection of the detective's adventures that were simplified for first-time English readers (the only English Holmes books that I could find): the sort of "see spot run" version of The Hound of the Baskervilles.

While not putting words in the mouths of game characters, I looked over the shoulders of the team members -- map builders, programmers, and artists -- as they developed puzzles and enemy encounters for the Zelda-style adventure. With lessons learned from development of the first game, the team sought to improve gameplay, particularly in the area of offering diagonal movement for the character.

When it became apparent that the original title was not going to be a big hit, the sequel was completed but its eventual release was delayed. It was eventually put into the market in 1994 (well into the reign of the Super NES) as one of the company's last NES titles (along with Wario's Woods). The subtitle, Zoda's Revenge, was promoted to the the main title because it was not clear that StarTropics II would be much of a draw.

Still, those who did play the game were treated to a quirky title with lots of humor and action -- everything that players enjoy from gaming's golden age. - George S."

We now have confirmation that StarTropics II indeed had its original release delayed. We also now have a confirmation as to why StarTropics II was not the lead in for the title, and was instead called Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II. I am personally glad the game was released at all. As I said before, it is a very good NES game, and its a shame that many StarTropics fans are still unaware of its existence. Hopefully, it will be released for the Switch Online's NES catalog at some point this year.

It is not much but it does provide some interesting insight to the development of Zoda's Revenge, as well as give some confirmations to some things that were strongly suspected among StarTropics fans.
Sorry for double posting but man, this was a great read! I’m so glad Startropics 2 got released! Sometimes I love that game more than the original. It’s just weird like that!

It’s so sad the original didn’t do as well.. wonder if they should have gone for another cover art.

-

In other news I have recovered a long lost project, and I finally have something to work on for Startropics’s 30th Anniversary!
Luckily I can take it slow since the official anniversary would be early December. But if I can release it early, then all the better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom