• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Under-Represented Gaming Series, Duplicate Characters & Uniqueness: A Theory (Updated

raul

Smash Lord
I don't normally start threads, but I have been doing a large amount of thinking about how some of the gaming series in Brawl are very under represented in terms of the number of characters and what are some ways to fix this. Let's go straight to arguement.

It's very obvious that the Mario, Pokemon and Legend of Zelda video game series are some of the top series Ninentdo deals with in terms of both popularity, sales, fan base and the quantity and quality of games produced. Some of the best games not only in Nintendo history, but perhaps gaming history come from these gaming series. Without questions they are represented very well. Below is there listing of their current representatives:

*NOTE: ONLY CONFIRMED CHARACTERS ARE LISTED*

The Mario Series: Mario, Peach, Bowser

The Pokemon Series: Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer with 3 pokemon (Charizard, Squirtle, Ivysaur)

The Legend of Zelda Series: Link, Zelda, Sheik

Not bad so far. 3 gaming series totalling up for 7 representatives. That currently, as the roster stands as of January 18, 2008, about 30% of the current 25 man roster. Now, yes I did count Zero-Suit Samus and Sheik is different characters when calculating representative numbers and the percents, but I'll explain why later.

The Proposed Problem

Here's the problem I see. While some games are very well represented, and speculated to be further represented, some video game series lack such high numbers of characters. Let's have a look at those series. Again, these are the current characters, confirmed, as of 1/18/2008.

The Metroid Series: Samus, Zero-Suit Samus

The Donkey Kong Series: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong

The Star Fox Series: Fox McCloud

The Fire Emblem Series: Ike

The Mother/Earthbound Series: Lucas

Wow, 5 gaming series only get 7 characters? That's a terrible percentage, 25% for characters, which is 5% representation for each series on average. Clearly, these series need more representation.

Before You Jump Down My Throat...

Yes, I know the entire roster isn't out yet. I realize I have zero clue as to who those other characters are and yes I realize these series will get more characters. I'm not clueless to these facts. Now that I've said that, I'll move to the next part.

Further Representation?

Many forum members, including myself, speculate further character representation for the already well-represented series. Here is what consider a general list.

The Mario Series: Luigi, Geno, Bowser Jr.

The Pokemon Series: MewTwo, Lucario, Jiggly Puff

The Legend of Zelda Series: Ganondorf, Young Link (of some kind), Midna (with or without wolf)

Cleary, some of these characters will return, such as Luigi and Ganondorf. Others are still up in the air. But suppose that we give 5 reps each series for fairness to all these series. Here is what I find to a complete, but speculated general list of these series character representation.

The Mario Series: Mario, Peach, Bowser, Luigi, Geno

The Pokemon Series: Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Jiggly Puff, MewTwo

The Legend of Zelda Series: Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link (Of some kind)

Technically, you could swap out any character, but thats not the point. That 15 characters for 3 series, creating a much larger percentage for these series. What about the lesser series?

The speculated characters for the lesser represent series include:

The Metroid Series: Dark Samus, Ridley

The Donkey Kong Series: King K. Rool

The Star Fox Series: Krystal, Falco Lombardi, Wolf O'Donnell

The Fire Emblem Series: Marth, Roy, Miciahia, the Black Knight

You may not totally agree with these lists, but I passed these of Melee and what I saw in terms of popularity and which characters were not likely to be bosses and/or assist trophies. You see the problem? The first thing is that not all these characters will make it and second those that do add to the series total, but still cannot compete with the larger series. Granted these games aren't as popular, but they still have die hard fans and fan bases. These series will remain under-represented even so.

A further problem is what I call the "duplicate character" and it applies to all series. What a duplicate character is in my definition is: A character that has a unique moveset, but is an already existing character in another physical form. They are not clone characters. This is also why i count Zero Suit Samus and Sheik as seperate characters because they may be part of another character but they still are unique in terms of pyhsical appearance and moveset.

Here are examples:

Link----> Wind Waker Link/ Revamped Young Link

Mario---> Paper Mario

Samus--> Zero Suit Samus

Zelda----> Sheik

While these characters are unique as I mentioned, the reality is, they are basically playable alternate costumes. They add no uniqueness to their respected series representation other than movesets. Samus is still Zero Suit Samus minus the suit and Mario is still Paper Mario in 2-D.

Part of the problem I believe we have had with not only these characters, but with the clones in the past where not the clone aspects, but some of the character are/were simply the same character. Young Link is another version of Link and so on. We wanted characters like Pit or Wario who offered totally and complete uniqueness. Thus I fear that this could arise again and I believe Nintendo sees it too.

A Personal Prediction

This predicition was given some thought and I believe that Nintendo and Sakurai may be thinking on the same page. It is all specualtion, but here goes.

My belief is that Nintendo will add not only more representation to those already with high character counts, but also to those with low character counts. The difference is, we will have very unique characters and those series that are under represented will be better represented than they are currently.

My predicition of unqiue characters includes:

*Note this list deals with already listed gaming series and not predicting reps for series not already represented. Example: Issac from Golden Sun will not be on this list since no other Golden Sun rep is listed. Sorry, that means Captain Falcon is NOT debated here either, atleast not yet.

The Mario Series: Luigi, Bowser Jr.

The Legend of Zelda Series: Ganondorf, Midna (With Wolf)

The Pokemon Series: Lucario/MewTwo/Jiggly Puff (2 of the 3)

The Star Fox Series: Krystal, Wolf/Falco (one or the other)

The Metroid Series: Ridley and Dark Samus--slightly lesser chance than Ridley, but still high

The Fire Emblem Series: Micahia, Marth

The Donkey Kong Series: King K.Rool

The Mother/Earthbound Series: Claus

*NOTE*-This list concerns Playable Characters Only.

Why Come? An Explanation of the Prediciton

You may want to know how I came about these particular characters. Well here is my answer. I didn't use fan base or personal bias or "clues" hidden in the updates. It is all pure speculation and comparison to the characters we already have now.

Basically, all these character reflect the major players from the their respected gaming series that:

1.) Have not currently been deconfirmed via Assist Trophy or in a similar way

2.) Are a major character in their respect series

3.) Do not follow into what I define a duplicate character

4.) Have no clone aspects

5.) If I forgot anything, I'll add it later

Now I'll answer some questons I know you're going to ask.

Why Bowser Jr. over Geno ?

Well, I know not everyone will agree, but Bowser Jr. is a character that has recently been involved alot more in the Mario universe. He's been the final boss in many games and he's made various appearance in such games as Mario Party, Mario Strikers and so forth. He is new to young gamers and has the ability to have a very unique moveset from Bowser.

Geno is a well known character with great potential and has one more thing going for him: He's not a koopa. While Geno hasn't been in a game in while, Geno doesn't give the impression that he's Bowser, or any other character in a different form. He is kind of like a retro character, but he isn't a major player outside of Mario RPG.

This is a difficult arguement. Do you go with the current Bowser Jr? Or dip into the past with Geno?

My prediction is Bowser Jr, because as time moves on, I could see him some day replacing Bowser as the main villain of the Mario series, much like Andross was replaced by other villains in the Star Fox series.

Why Ridley over Dark Samus?

Simply put, Dark Samus gives us too much Samus in the game. With a suit, without a suit, a dark suit, how many versions of Samus do we need? Ridley is the only logical choice left and he can actually fit on the stage compared to Kraid. If we had 3 versions of Samus as the only 3 reps for Metroid, we're doing the series a great injustice.

Dark Samus is a great character, but there are other character outside of Samus and her multiple forms. I'd argue on the half of the hunters, but I feel strongly they will be assist trophies. They arent a major player like Ridley, whose been a villain in plenty of the Metroid games. This character's chances are high, but not as high as Ridley's.

While many forum members think that Dark Samus would make a perfect representative for the Metroid series, I do not. However, I would loved to be proved wrong and have both Ridley and Dark Samus make the game. Until then, I remain skeptical. I will not deny Dark Samus has a great chance, but I remain unsure as to where Metroid will go from minimal representation to large representation even with Sakurai's desire to include more Metroid characters. One would think he could do it, but Sakurai has not always been predictable so we'll have to wait and see.

Why Midna over Wind Waker Link?

This one was difficult but Midna over any version of WWLink/Young Link makes sense. We already have Link, do we need to seem cell-shaded or younger? Plus, it seems that the Twilight Princess appeal has gotten into all current graphics of the Legend of Zelda characters that have been confirmed. It will only be a matter of time before we get a character from that game. Midna also possesses possibly one of the most unique move sets in Brawl if she makes it in.

The Fire Emblem Issue

The Fire Emblem series is a vast gaming franchise with tons of potential reps. However, when it comes to Brawl, not everyone will make it. Obviosuly Micahiah brings a new feel not only as a playable character, but also shows the magic user side of Fire Emblem for the fans of Brawl unfamiliar with the series.

The issue is Marth and Roy. I'll admit right now my knowledge is limited but Marth seems worthy of coming back because of his popularity in both Japan and America and he is one of the first lords, if im not mistaken. But does he really belong there? Does Roy belong?

If you look at Ike, he has taken parts of Roy and Marth into his moveset. It seems the best of both Marth and Roy are within Ike with a few changes. Compare Ness to Lucas. Lucas basically has Ness's moves and Ike seems to appear in a similar fashion. However, for clarification purposes, Ike does not play like Marth or Roy, but some of the similiar aspects of the two when it comes to his move set. His eruption attack is nearly identical to Roy's flare move, and like both Marth and Roy, his up-B move is very similiar to theirs as well, minus virtually any horizontal movement and the much nicer finish at the end. He does have his own differences, but the similiarities are there and that cannot be denied.

None the less if Marth and Roy arent there, who will be? I've been well informed that the Black Knight is too minor of a character, but who then? Hector? Sigurd? Someone else?

I chose Marth because he is a reoccuring lord in both Fire Emblem 1 and 3, while I am unaware of any other reoocuring lords. He is popular in both America and Japan and was a top tier character that Sakurai might want to keep.

I speculate Roy is gone, mainly because forum members that specialize in Fire Emblem explained to me that Roy was in a very unsuccessful game and that his appearance in Melee was a mere advertisement. Makes sense to me, since I have no real knowledge about Roy or his popularity or the game he appeared in.

Right now it seem Ike, Marth and Micahiah are logical choices to represent Brawl. My only concern would be if Nintendo wanted to do like they did with the Mother/Earthbound games and use the newer characters. They have Ike, so why not use newer Fire Emblem characters and leave out Marth and Roy?

And Marth has one major thing going for him and that is the for mentioned huge popularity. Marth probably isn't going anywhere. Compare that to Ness, who has been on the replacement list since Melee.

I'm very unsure on this issue. Perhaps time will tell.

All the Pokemon

Yeah I hate pokemon, but more are going to come. Probably why that bothers me so much is because I look at Pokemon Trainer and see 3 more pokemon.

Lucario is the issue because he is a 4th generation pokemon which people say Sakurai wants more of, but I am skeptical on that. If you add Lucario, you figure to lose MewTwo because of his awkward controls. Then again, Lucario and MewTwo are more involved in Pokemon in terms of movies than Jiggly Puff who has lost some popularity.

Overall, there are too many pokemon, much like there will be too many Mario characters, but I don't see them being excluded from Brawl.

King of the Scrapheap?

King K. Rool is the only logical character left for Donkey Kong. I'm sure many agree, unless you want ANOTHER ape of some kind as a character, than I guess I'm not going to debate this any further.

Unless there is a significant character I missed, I dont see anyone standing in the way of K.Rool.

Unmasking Claus and Burying Ness

Again, to me, this seems obvious, but Claus, much like K. Rool, is really perhaps the only character of importance left in the series.

Many clamour for Ness, but don't make any bets. Ness has no move set now and with clones seeming less and less of an option every day, thats all Ness would be if he returned.

My knowledge is limited on Earthbound, so please correct me if I missed something big.

However, from what I do know, Ness is just about 6 feet under. Let's look at the fact:

1.) Sakurai has been awaiting the day to replace him and
2.) If no clones are goin got be in Brawl, then what are Ness's' moves?
3.) Lucas's has way more sex appeal...PERIOD.

Comparing Lucas to Ness so far we have:
Lucas's Moveset:
1.) Pk Thunder
2.) Pk Fire
3.) PSI Magnet

Ness's Moveset:
1.) Pk Thunder
2.) Pk Fire
3.) PSI Magnet

Hmmmmm.......??? Looks like Ness still has a baseball bat and yo-yo.....and Pk Flash. Wow, awesome moveset Ness. The fact that Nintendo has wanted to replace him since Melee should be enough for those who believe he will return. But some still hang on in denial.

No new representation for Wario and Yoshi?

Yes and sorry. Part of it because of this question:

Can you name a character in either series that is one same scale of popularity as Waro or Yoshi? I can't and I don't think you can either.

The second part is rather personal, but yes, Yoshi and Wario are their own series, but to myself and MAYBE others, they are very closely linked with the Mario world. In fact they have crossed paths many times. Wario and Yoshi are Mario-eque characters, regardless of their own icons or gaming series and what we do not need is anymore Mario representation in any way.
==========================================================
A History of Representation

Here is a look at the history of gaming franchises that I've discussed and how they have been represented in the past and currently. Numbers in ( ) equal number of character in that series and % equal the percent that the series takes up in the total roster. Percents are rounded. The "New Series Percentrage" reflects the number of new gaming franchises represented in that Smash Brothers game from the last game.

Nintendo 64:
The Mario Series: Mario, Luigi (2)-16%
The Pokemon Series: Pikachu, Jiggly Puff (2)-16%
The Legend of Zelda Series: Link (1)-8.3%
The Star Fox Series: Fox McCloud (1)-8.3%
The Metroid Series: Samus (1)-8.3%
The Kirby Series: Kirby (1)-8.3%
The Donkey Kong Series: Donkey Kong (1)-8.3%
The Yoshi Series: Yoshi (1)-8.3%
The F-Zero Series: Captain Falcon (1)-8.3%
The Earthbound Series: Ness (1)-8.3%

Melee:
New Series Percentage: About 23%
The Mario Series: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Dr. Mario (5)-20%
The Pokemon Series: Pikachu, Pichu, Jiggly Puff, MewTwo (4)-16%
The Legend of Zelda Series: Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link (5)-20%
The Star Fox Series: Fox, Falco (2)-8%
The Metroid Series: Samus (1)-4%
The Kirby Series: Kirby (1)-4%
The Donkey Kong Series: Donkey Kong (1)-4%
The Yoshi Series: Yoshi (1)-4%
The F-Zero Series: Captain Falcon (1)-4%
The Earthbound Series: Ness (1)-4%
The Ice Climber Series: Ice Climbers (1)-4%
The G & W Series: Game & Watch (1)-4%
The Fire Emblem Series: Marth, Roy (2)-8%

Current Brawl Roster:
New Series Percentage: About 31%
The Mario Series: Mario, Peach, Bowser (3)-12%
The Pokemon Series: Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer (2)-8%
The Legend of Zelda Series: Link, Zelda, Sheik (3)-12%
The Star Fox Series: Fox (1)-4%
The Metroid Series: Samus, Zero Suit Samus (2)-8%
The Kirby Series: Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede (3)-12%
The Donkey Kong Series: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong (2)-8%
The Yoshi Series: Yoshi (1)-4%
The Ice Climbers Series: Ice Climbers (1)-4%
The Mother Series: Lucas (1)-4%
The Fire Emblem Series: Ike (1)-4%

Additional Series in Brawl Include:
Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic, 1)-4%
Metal Gear Solid (Snake, 1)-4%
Kid Icarus (Pit, 1)-4%
Pikmin (Captain Olimar, 1)-4%
Wario (Wario, 1)-4%
==========================================================
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want you guys to know this isn't a character prediction thread, but a theory of what I believe to come. So don't send me suggestion for characters, this isn't a thread like Wise Guy's or Chronobound's or Homeless Vagrant's.

Feel free to disagree, ask questions, make suggestions, and such.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I was gonna praise you as my hero... but basically what you did was get every ALREADY represented character in SSB universe, and fill them with idiotic popular fillers...

TERRIBLE IDEA

X X X

You haven't suggested anything new, really.. I'm disappointed. There are franchises that don't even get ONE single character.

raul

Smash Lord
I was gonna praise you as my hero... but basically what you did was get every ALREADY represented character in SSB universe, and fill them with idiotic popular fillers...

TERRIBLE IDEA

X X X

You haven't suggested anything new, really.. I'm disappointed. There are franchises that don't even get ONE single character.
Well tell me, who could I possible fill in for the Ice Climber series or Kid Icraus series?

They have no major characters left. Neither does Yoshi or Wario

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
The only reason you include Ridley over DS is because of originality? Trust me thats the least important reason for his inclusion.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Very true. Metroid was horribly un-represented in Melee, and I could see this being the case in Brawl, too.
More Mario characters will be added, unfortunately. Yes, I agree with Luigi, but why Geno or Bowser jr. They may as well call it Super Mario Bros. Brawl.
Starfox will only have 2-3 characters max. Krystal, and perhaps Falco.
And I'm very unsure why everybody includes Marth in their prediction lists and not Roy. They should have both.
And I can't see Midna being included, unless she's paired with Wolf Link.
There will always be over represented series, and many characters will be left out of series of the same importance, for seemingly little reason, but oh well.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well tell me, who could I possible fill in for the Ice Climber series or Kid Icraus series?

They have no major characters left. Neither does Yoshi or Wario
You miss the point... You miss the point so bad...

Have you ever heard of franchises such as Golden Sun? Advance Wars? Custom Robo? Balloon Fight? Mach Rider? Urban Champion? to name a few?

Most likely you haven't. The point is NOT filling franchises with filler characters. If there are no more worthy Ice Climbers reps.. then WHY add them? Why not look for NON-represented games instead?

You don't HAVE to give 5 characters to every game series. Because most of them can be represented through one, two or up to four max.

Should've clearly read UNDER-represented franchises instead of NON-represented ones...

Would you give Pikmin another representative? Even though you'd know he'd do exactly the same? (Yeah, I learned today there's another guy called Loie, and people are actually suggesting him).

*Sigh* it's just hopeless...

raul

Smash Lord
You miss the point... You miss the point so bad...

Have you ever heard of franchises such as Golden Sun? Advance Wars? Custom Robo? Balloon Fight? Mach Rider? Urban Champion? to name a few?

Most likely you haven't. The point is NOT filling franchises with filler characters. If there are no more worthy Ice Climbers reps.. then WHY add them? Why not look for NON-represented games instead?

You don't HAVE to give 5 characters to every game series. Because most of them can be represented through one, two or up to four max.

Should've clearly read UNDER-represented franchises instead of NON-represented ones...

Would you give Pikmin another representative? Even though you'd know he'd do exactly the same? (Yeah, I learned today there's another guy called Loie, and people are actually suggesting him).

*Sigh* it's just hopeless...

No you missed the point. I wrote that I wasnt going to include reps for series that arent already confirmed. That means no Golden Sun, no Advance Wars, to Custom Robo and everything you listed. I was dealing with the series we have NOW. I wrote that very clearly and Isaac was an example I even used.

And yeah I could have done that, but clearly most of those games would already be under represented any way.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
*Disagrees with a lot* But yeah, I agree with some, We should at least see lesser franchises like MOTHER Get Claus and Starfox get krystal before we keep seeing random thigns like Geno and Paper Mario come out of the blue, Nice job writing this out raul.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Thank you! I feel the same way. We don't need 3 versions of Mario (Normal, Doctor, Paper), 2 versions of Link (Normal, Young / Toon), or 3 versions of Samus (Normal, Zero Suit, Dark). Could unique gameplay mechanics be implemented for some of them? Sure! But although it may be just a personal preference, I still think that cramming the roster with "alternate" versions of the same basic character is just boring. Originality is key, and I'm very glad that you agree.

(Not to mention the fact that you agree that Claus is definitely the best rep for the MOTHER series. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he makes it! :grin:)

raul

Smash Lord
I've updated alot because I screwed up a section, but all in all, everything is the same. I've added some stuff about Fire Emblem and Pokemon, currently doing Donkey Kong.

Thanks all for viewing.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Dark Samus is a special case--While I heartily agree with the "no duplicate characters, they are made of fail and lose" mantra, Dark Samus isn't Samus at all--it's Metroid Prime. Kinda like how Bowser Jr. isn't Bowser.

Just playing Devil's Advocate, since I'd much prefer Ridley over her.

raul

Smash Lord
Dark Samus is a special case--While I heartily agree with the "no duplicate characters, they are made of fail and lose" mantra, Dark Samus isn't Samus at all--it's Metroid Prime. Kinda like how Bowser Jr. isn't Bowser.

Just playing Devil's Advocate, since I'd much prefer Ridley over her.
Yes you're correct. I think whats going to happen though if Dark Samus was there, you'd get an "Oh, another Samus." Just hearing the name Samus and seeing an armored body might cause that reaction. Thats what I believe alot of people what think. I could be wrong though.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Its because the Nintendo world doesnt have a wide variety of franchises and they only expand on what they have now or it will end up in failure, like Billy hatcher or something.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Actually the Nintendo word has many, many franchises... don't know what Nintendo has to do with Billy hatcher though.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand all the negativity about original series... he put a million disclaimers in the post to tell you that this is NOT about series who haven't been revealed yet. Try reading it without skipping over huge sections next time, Shin Head.

Good post, I agree on most of your points. The ones I contend with are: 1) Midna over Young/WW Link - I know nothing of Midna so this may be biased but the whole time aspect is a big part of Zelda culture and Young Link represents this split very well. 2) Bowser Jr. over Geno - Once again you knew this was arguable, and once again I don't know Bowser Jr. well but Geno does have a totally different style and as you say is no Koopa.

I strongly agree with the numbers you've come up with though, in fact as I read this it seemed like most of my thoughts put to post. Pokemon has ungodly representation but I suppose they always make it entertaining on the battle field, plus we have plenty of other fighters to help get away from Pokemonopoly. Will be most eager to witness Ridley, Claus, Ganondorf and possibly another F-Zero fighter (granted it's a stretch but they did so well with Captain Falcon's original moves that I would enjoy seeing another brand new creation).

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
WW Link has been the design used in 5 different Zelda games, it represents the newer more casual (Yet still epically amazing) side of Zelda and is the favorite design of several people in Nintendo. He can also easily be much more unique than adult Link and is more popular around the world.

Midna is a supporting character in a newer less critically acclaimed Zelda title.

You do the maths.

raul

Smash Lord
I don't understand all the negativity about original series... he put a million disclaimers in the post to tell you that this is NOT about series who haven't been revealed yet. Try reading it without skipping over huge sections next time, Shin Head.

Good post, I agree on most of your points. The ones I contend with are: 1) Midna over Young/WW Link - I know nothing of Midna so this may be biased but the whole time aspect is a big part of Zelda culture and Young Link represents this split very well. 2) Bowser Jr. over Geno - Once again you knew this was arguable, and once again I don't know Bowser Jr. well but Geno does have a totally different style and as you say is no Koopa.

I strongly agree with the numbers you've come up with though, in fact as I read this it seemed like most of my thoughts put to post. Pokemon has ungodly representation but I suppose they always make it entertaining on the battle field, plus we have plenty of other fighters to help get away from Pokemonopoly. Will be most eager to witness Ridley, Claus, Ganondorf and possibly another F-Zero fighter (granted it's a stretch but they did so well with Captain Falcon's original moves that I would enjoy seeing another brand new creation).
If you play Twilight Princess you'll learn about Midna or wikipedia here. You'll see why shes so often debated.

raul

Smash Lord
I've been eager to try it, just need the spare money after bills to pick it up. Is it worth buying?
Absolutely and I wont lie to you, its the only other Zelda game I have ever bought other than OoT. I usually just rented them. TP is by the far the best game, for the Wii with the exception of Brawl and Mario Galaxy.

The puzzles and boss battles are amazing. It starts off slow as you would expect but dear god its addiciting.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
What!? What IS so special about her? She has a little bit of (Crappy at best) character development, people make out as if:

I don't like you Link -> Now I like you Link

Is such an amazing thing.

Edit: If I would recommend a Zelda game I would recommend OoT or WW TP is good as well if your new to the franchise and dont give a **** about originality or story.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
So they want her not because she is important to what she represents but because she is different?

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
Nice job once again Raul. I agree with you about Dark Samus, she just a dark suit
Samus. I know Dark Samus isn't samus but it look the same. People say you can give her
different moves but thats like putting both Mario and fire Mario in the game.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
I would say yes, originality is just as important as representation. Hell originality is why Captain Falcon happened in the first place. However I still think Young/WW has the best chances in general so I technically agree. And thanks Raul, I will definitely get it now (my favorite Zelda is the SNES Link to the Past but OOT was great as well).

raul

Smash Lord
So they want her not because she is important to what she represents but because she is different?
Yes and no. She is very important to the Twilight Princess plot of course and yes she is different. However, she is not a super major character like Ganondorf, who appears in 99% of Zelda Games. The problem is outside of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf, no other Zelda reps appear nearly enough to be considered a major character. Young Link is a major character, but in reality, reguardless of his moveset, he's still Link.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
I would say yes, originality is just as important as representation. Hell originality is why Captain Falcon happened in the first place. However I still think Young/WW has the best chances in general so I technically agree. And thanks Raul, I will definitely get it now (my favorite Zelda is the SNES Link to the Past but OOT was great as well).
No. Captain Falcon got in because he was the main character of a Nintendo franchise.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
No. Captain Falcon go in because he was the main character of a Nintendo franchise.
There are plenty of good franchises who do not have their main characters in Smash Bros, they put Falcon in because he didn't have a single move to go on. This means it was pure originality of being able to come up with his attacks, which was great fun because nobody could have expected how he would fight.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
No he was the main character of the F-Zero series, which had two popular games at the time, was the same status as Star Fox.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
There are plenty of good franchises who do not have their main characters in Smash Bros, they put Falcon in because he didn't have a single move to go on. This means it was pure originality of being able to come up with his attacks, which was great fun because nobody could have expected how he would fight.
Also most people didn't know who the hell he was till he appeared in the game.
Not counting F-Zero fans.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's all speculation but I was under the impression that it was the ability to invent that gave Falcon an edge over other established series at the time of the first Smash game. In fact it was rumored to be the one that shoved Dedede off of the roster but who knows.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
The Fire Emblem Issue

The Fire Emblem series is a vast gaming franchise with tons of potential reps. However, when it comes to Brawl, not everyone will make it. Obviosuly Micahiah brings a new feel not only as a playable character, but also shows the magic user side of Fire Emblem for the fans of Brawl unfamiliar with the series.

The issue is Marth and Roy. I'll admit right now my knowledge is limited but Marth seems worthy of coming back because of his popularity in both Japan and America and he is one of the first lords, if im not mistaken. But does he really belong there? Does Roy belong?

If you look at Ike, he has taken parts of Roy and Marth into his moveset. It seems the best of both Marth and Roy are within Ike with a few changes. Compare Ness to Lucas. Lucas basically has Ness's moves and Ike seems to appear in a similar fashion.

None the less if Marth and Roy arent there, who will be? I've been well informed that the Black Knight is too minor of a character, but who then? Hector? Someone else?

I'm very unsure on this issue. Perhaps time will tell.
Allow me to correct you on a few things.

Ike plays not one bit like Marth or Roy. His moveset is not a combination of the two, but a unique moveset in its own right. The only move that he shares with them is the down B counter, but every other move is unique to him. Comparing Ike to Marth is like comparing Mewtwo to Samus.

Roy was the lord of an unpopular game. He was only put in melee for advertisement purposes and will most likely be taken out due to the failure of his game. The GBA games are held in very low regard by Japanese fans and hardcore FE fans. Marth's games on the other hand were extremely successful (thus we're getting a remake). Marth deserves to be in brawl even more than Ike (who's already confirmed). He's even able to pull Roy's advertising angle since FEDS has been anounced for this year.

Marth is the most reoccuring Lord, being in FE1 and FE3. He will also be getting an internationalized remake of FE1 sometime this year.

Black Knight is not neccesarily a minor character, but Ike's slow swordsman style really hurt his chances, as it was the only logical style BK could have.

Well, that's my Marth rant. For more info look here http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=123714

Darkness Link453

Smash Rookie
Outside the Brawl Development building "I'll
Its because the Nintendo world doesnt have a wide variety of franchises and they only expand on what they have now or it will end up in failure, like Billy hatcher or something.
Then why is Captain Olimar and 3rd party characters being added being added that is adding on not expanding. Notice they havent really expanded much yet just saying some interesting characters that we start out with or will build popularity of the game.
Also Billy Hatacher is a great game you need to play through to get fun out of it......and most likely be younger then age 13.......
I dont want this to become one big fight but used a worse example like idk..... ET rated worst game in existance...

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
Nice job once again Raul. I agree with you about Dark Samus, she just a dark suit
Samus. I know Dark Samus isn't samus but it look the same. People say you can give her
different moves but thats like putting both Mario and fire Mario in the game.
No, that would be like putting Mario and Luigi in the game.

Oh wait...

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
Luigi is very popular though and people expect him to be similiar to mario.
That's true. But Dark Samus is very popular as well, and she would actually be more different from Samus than Luigi from Mario.

Maybe they should call her Metroid Prime so people who didn't play the games don't think "omg Dark Samus = Samus in black" :laugh:

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
But Luigi is the second most important character in the most important video games series of all time, and the most popular soooooo that puts him a little bit above DS (And Ridley is more popular than DS anyway).

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
That's true. But Dark Samus is very popular as well, and she would actually be more different from Samus than Luigi from Mario.

Maybe they should call her Metroid Prime so people who didn't play the games don't think "omg Dark Samus = Samus in black" :laugh:
Yeah.....To bad Nintendo doesn't care about Hardcore fans as much as casual gamers.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Top Bottom