• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Umm Quick question.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Okay, I just started playing as 3D and I need to know if the chaingrab is necessary when playing as him. I see it all the time, posts talking about how necessary it is, but I just cant seem to land it. I'm not asking for help on the chaingrab, (I have many threads I can look at if I want help on the chaingrab) I'm just asking if you can be a good D3 WITHOUT it.

I'll happily close this once I get an answer. :)

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Hm. Not sure. It would be best because it would give you a valuable way to rack up damage, but Dededee is an all around good brawler accept in approaches. I'd recommended you do, so that you can have every weapon at your arsenal. But I think a more experienced 3D (I'm calling him this from now on) should give you an answer, someone who has like Co or Fogo.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
CGing is definately what makes D3 top tier material. It is important for racking up damage as previously stated, and can lead to gimps or throwing to kill.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Alright, thanks guys. Guess its time for topic CLOSE.

Edit: How do i close this...? I guess I'll wait for it to be closed.

Badjuju

Smash Apprentice
It's not vital to win. I have to play non-CGable characters all the time. Tech chase, gimping, defensive playing, range, and spacing make D3 a good character.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Okay, I might have to play some 3D dittos with some of you guys, learn the ropes ya know? Umm...Whats tech chasing?

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Okay, I might have to play some 3D dittos with some of you guys, learn the ropes ya know? Umm...Whats tech chasing?
Pretend you're playing a character that you can't chaingrab. You downthrow, you run up but you can't grab him again. Since you can't do this, you run up, and wait for him to get up then grab him. You kinda have to predict. Sometimes they will use their get up attack, sometimes they will roll away. The best thing ever though, is when they roll towards you. If you notice every time they roll towards you, do a downthrow then an fmash. It's ****.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
I don't chaingrab and my DDD is good.
All I do is grab, shieldgrab and D-throw to Side-tilt, I mostly kill with Fair or U-tilt.
I also Tech chase ALOT, D-throw setups for amazing tech chases.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162447

Check this out Brave Hippo. You will learn everything about the general game there is to no there. What is covered in this topic is essential to win and grow as a smasher. Almost everyone is an essential read and will answer question that might come up like, what is tech chasing and what are mind games.

Techchase in simple terms is an attempt to follow up a technique with something else, either a ko move or a grab or even another technique.

For your basic 3D needs I recomend Co'sThe Royal Guide/FAQ of King 3D. If you want to see these things in action, or wonder how to approach a particular match up, I host a video thread called [ur=http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=212083]The Dededee Channel[/url]. When you have progressed, feel free to post your videos in this thread, and I'll consider adding them, or if you see a good Dededee video that is not up and you would like it added, post it up in there. If a general question concerning 3D comes to mind, but it seems to small to post a whole thread, go to The King Dededee Discussion Thread.

Welcome to the 3D boards Hippo. I hope to see you around for a while. :)

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Thanks guys! I expected the 3D community to be helpful but this is just great! Say CRASHIC, wanna play some 3D dittos? Not now, but, like, this weekend? I got time, do you? Everyone, thanks I'll make sure to be the best DeDeDe I can BE!!!!!!!

A little dramatic...But you get my point.

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
If you want your Dedede to be strong, you'll have to use his grab game ALOT. As Badjuju said, the actual chaingrab is unnecessary, but it makes certain matchups alot easier.
For instance, the Dedede board's matchup discussion thread lists Dedede vs. Snake as 60:40 Dedede's favor. Without the chaingrab, that number could go down some.
Diddy Kong vs. Dedede is 40:60 Diddy's favor, and that's WITH the chaingrab. Without it, the matchup could be close to as difficult as the Ice Climbers matchup.

But that's enough numbers.
I'll tell you this: If you just want to play with your friends, have a good time, and stand a decent chance of winning some local tournaments every now and then, then the chaingrab isn't necessary. If you never cared about learning wavedashing or L-cancelling in Melee, don't bother learning Chaingrabbing.
You'll have a good enough time without it, and your opponents will definately be happier about losing. :)

EDIT: Wow, alot of people posted while I was typing that. Hope I didn't say anything redundantly!

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Yeah I would love to play!
Hit me up tomorrow on when you want to play. Though I warn you, my 3D is a little bit different than most people's, though I still understand how to play traditional Dededee if that would help you out better. I play both.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
But I did take the time to learn a good wavedash and L-Cancel in Melee. Guess eventually I will have to learn this Chain Grab, as the numbers suggest. But now, as I have just begun learning the basics of 3D, the chain grab can wait. thanks again, everyone and good night.

Edit: CRASHIC, sweet. Alright, tomorrow it is!

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
But I did take the time to learn a good wavedash and L-Cancel in Melee. Guess eventually I will have to learn this Chain Grab, as the numbers suggest. But now, as I have just begun learning the basics of 3D, the chain grab can wait. thanks again, everyone and good night.

Edit: CRASHIC, sweet. Alright, tomorrow it is!
You're probably trying to chaingrab the wrong characters. Just try chaingrabbing like, Bowser or DK. Then look at the other characters you can chaingrab. When I first started playing Dedede I thought I sucked because I couldn't chaingrab Jigglypuff. ._.

Ravener

Smash Apprentice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Hippo View Post

You're probably trying to chaingrab the wrong characters. Just try chaingrabbing like, Bowser or DK. Then look at the other characters you can chaingrab. When I first started playing Dedede I thought I sucked because I couldn't chaingrab Jigglypuff. ._.
Yes, for me CG is essiential to winning with DDD. It's a great way of stacking up damage and maybe you are chaingrabbing the wrong characters have a look in the CG sticky and it'll show a list of characters you can CG

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
I'm now trying to get the timing for the CG down, I cant seem to do it with my grab being the X button on the Gamecube controller. Whats the grab button on all of you guyses controllers?

Oh, and I can now CG Donkey Kong fairly well, but the occaisonal sheild messes me up. Its like the grab button was also MENT to be the sheild button.

Badjuju

Smash Apprentice
I have my grab button set to "Z", but it's best to use the dash cancelled grab for CGing. Also, you can infinite standing grab four characters and perfectly walking grab one character.

Here's a link to the chaingrabbing info http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152392

The characters are Samus, Mario, Luigi, and Donkey Kong. The walking chain grab you can do on Bowser. I've heard that you can walking CG Wario and Wolf, but I haven't tried myself.

Make sure when doing the infinite CG on those four characters to set your C-stick to grab, which is called Bricksticking. It prevents you from shielding when doing the infinite grabs, which is usually how people mess up.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Thanks Badjuju, C-Stick as grab? Oh snap. Alright, I'm gonna go practice this grab and in a few minutes, I'll try the C-Stick thing.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Hes defintaly extemely good without the chaingrab, top 4? maybe not but he still has everything else good about him and a NASTY backthrow for damage, and upthrow for setups. (i use upthrow alot vs those i can't chaingrab, cuz in this game, being below ur opponent is key)

Coney

Smash Master
He wouldn't be top tier without it, that's for sure. A chaingrabless DDD would probably be in high tier, probably around the middle or lower.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
He wouldn't be top tier without it, that's for sure. A chaingrabless DDD would probably be in high tier, probably around the middle or lower.
DeDeDe without chaingrab would still be top tier, hes too good watcha smoking son.

Top Bottom