• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Im still kind confused about why Persona Q2 has no English voicing
unfortunately it's doomed to be a game on a last-gen system that didn't even sell that well in japan, so to be honest i'm amazed it's even coming over here at all

the songs themselves being in english is just a stylistic choice

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Im still kind confused about why Persona Q2 has no English voicing
Likely low sales forecast, so there isn't enough reason to justify paying for an English voice cast.
A 3DS game in a niche genre releasing in 2019 is kinda doomed to have lower than normal sales.

D

Deleted member

We already knew of the Direct on the 13th though, is Liam really going to be the one to convince you guys?

also give samus jotaro-level of buffness but like part 4 jotaro so she doesn't look like a 17-year old

To me it just proves how boring he is because all the fan movesets do is "reference this, reference that".
The same could be applied to :ultduckhunt:, :ultinkling:, :ultkirby:, :ultlink:, :ultmario:, :ultluigi:, :ultmegaman:, :ultgnw:, :ultpacman:, :ultpeach:, :ultpiranha:, :ultrosalina:, :ultryu:, :ultken:, :ultsamus:, :ultsimon:, :ultrichter:, :ultsonic:, :ultvillager:, :ultwario:, :ultwiifittrainer:, :ultyoshi: and :ultpokemontrainer:.

Alongside :ultkrool:, all of these basically have many references or the stuff they usually do in their respective games as part of the moveset.
I don’t find your argument that strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The same could be applied to :ultduckhunt:, :ultinkling:, :ultkirby:, :ultlink:, :ultmario:, :ultluigi:, :ultmegaman:, :ultgnw:, :ultpacman:, :ultpeach:, :ultpiranha:, :ultrosalina:, :ultryu:, :ultken:, :ultsamus:, :ultsimon:, :ultrichter:, :ultsonic:, :ultvillager:, :ultwario:, :ultwiifittrainer:, :ultyoshi: and :ultpokemontrainer:.

Alongside :ultkrool:, all of these basically have many references or the stuff they usually do in their respective games as part of the moveset.
Hell the Shotos are basically ripped directly from their games

Cracke

Smash Journeyman
I'm still confused as to why Richter got in and not Alucard, wouldn't a more Iconic character be more fitting for another Castlevania rep?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Alongside :ultkrool:, all of these basically have the stuff they usually do in their respective games as part of the moveset.
A least those references are a bit more unpredictable, and make the movesets more fun...

Imo ,:ultkrool: has the absolute safest moveset in the game, and tbh, it's kinda boring...

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Speaking of 2019 3DS games not selling well

Nintendo's tryna kill off both Mario RPG series

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Likely low sales forecast, so there isn't enough reason to justify paying for an English voice cast.
A 3DS game in a niche genre releasing in 2019 is kinda doomed to have lower than normal sales.
compounded by the original Persona Q not selling too great either (an etrian odyssey/persona crossover is niche as **** and one of them is playstation exclusive to boot). it's a shame really, since joker in smash will probably help Q2 out a ton for those still actively using their 3ds.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm still confused as to why Richter got in and not Alucard, wouldn't a more Iconic character be more fitting for another Castlevania rep?
because it would be a bit odd to add 2 fully unique reps from the same third-party franchise in one game

D

Deleted member

Hell the Shotos are basically ripped directly from their games
Megaman’s moveset is basically the way the character tends to control in his series with the Robot Masters abilities mixed together and some extra stuff from other games like Marvel vs Capcom.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Richter is more popular than Simon in Japan, but the west doesn’t really know him. And He’s an echo fighter where Alucard would have to be unique.

D

Deleted member

A least those references, make the movesets more fun...

Imo ,:ultkrool: has the absolute safest moveset in the game, and tbh, it's kinda boring
Yeah but his Blunderbuss is such a fun tool to use, and the whole gimmick with his crown falling off and becoming a normal item is very nice. His Up-B is a little boring though.

His Armor gimmick is also pretty cool and unique, but his counter is stupid.

D

Deleted member

A least those references, make the movesets more fun...

Imo ,:ultkrool: has the absolute safest moveset in the game, and tbh, it's kinda boring
For me, :ultsonic: is the one with that title.
While it is true that he was rushed in order to appear in Brawl, you can’t deny that he reuses a huge number of animations and stuff like the spindash model.

D

Deleted member

Alongside :ultkrool:, all of these basically have the stuff they usually do in their respective games as part of the moveset.
They really aren't the same. You're comparing two different concepts for creating movesets.
All of those characters have a specific theme they follow, they aren't just random references put in together incohesevely so people can go "I remember that".
The best offender of this is easily SSF2's Bandana Dee. Are the wand and umbrella neat references to other Waddle Dees? Yes. Does it make for a fun and cohesive moveset? **** no.
And K. Rool feels like something there wasn't really much to do other than give him references.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Yeah but his Blunderbuss is such a fun tool to use, and the whole gimmick with his crown falling off and becoming a normal item is very nice. His Up-B is a little boring though.

His Armor gimmick is also pretty cool and unique, but his counter is stupid.
k rool's counter is the personification of having a well-rounded character then you just kinda decide to keep going and see what happens

i love it

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They really aren't the same. You're comparing two different concepts for creating movesets.
All of those characters have a specific theme they follow, they aren't just random references put in together incohesevely so people can go "I remember that".
The best offender of this is easily SSF2's Bandana Dee. Are the wand and umbrella neat references to other Waddle Dees? Yes. Does it make for a fun and cohesive moveset? **** no.
And K. Rool feels like something there wasn't really much to do other than give him references.
K. Rool's moveset is far more cohesive than SSF2's Bandana Dee. Like, it's not even a contest.

According to Sakurai, K. Rool's theme revolved around being a heavyweight with moves that are unconventional for a heavyweight to have, like a far-reaching recovery, a counter, and projectiles.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Well, Richter's really popular in Japan? Even more so than Simon in some regards! And, anyway, they probably wouldn't have had the time to create another whole new fighter...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

K.Rool’s moveset isn’t intended to be a series of references.
It is just the stuff he does in most of his appearances.

And as a character who got in thanks to the ballot, it is fair to see why Sakurai wouldn’t pull a :ultfalcon: with him.

D

Deleted member

k rool's counter is the personification of having a well-rounded character then you just kinda decide to keep going and see what happens

i love it
Yeah but we already got so many counters in the game

I would've preferred a more unique counter like Incin's or Bayo, or the punch flurry thing in some fanmade movesets

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
A least those references are a bit more unpredictable, and make the movesets more fun...

Imo ,:ultkrool: has the absolute safest moveset in the game, and tbh, it's kinda boring...
You ask for a character to be added to the game for years. It becomes a community wide movement, and then he actually gets in this crap happens.

I don’t get you internet

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I would've preferred a more unique counter like Incin's or Bayo, or the punch flurry thing in some fanmade movesets
I mean, it's also a reflector and only hits from one side, so that's at least something to set it apart.

D

Deleted member

K. Rool's moveset is far more cohesive than SSF2's Bandana Dee. Like, it's not even a contest.

According to Sakurai, K. Rool's theme revolved around being a heavyweight with moves that are unconventional for a heavyweight to have, like a far-reaching recovery, a counter, and projectiles.
I said "worst offender" for a reason, it's simply the easiest example to showcase how references can actually ruin a fun character concept. Despite K. Rool's specials, his A moves actually work.
And the problem with K.Rool is that it seems his theme came after his moves, if you throw a bunch of uncohesive moves together, of course they're gonna be "unconventional"

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
For me, :ultsonic: is the one with that title.
While it is true that he was rushed in order to appear in Brawl, you can’t deny that he reuses a huge number of animations and stuff like the spindash model.
At least his moveset was made to focus on one play style, unlike :ultkrool:

It feels like they just slapped his specials on, for references, and called it a day. His specials really weren't tailored to focus on a certian style, and tbh, it really shows...

D

Deleted member

I feel like Sakurai decided to give him a counter just for the sake of getting creative with the 3D model and playing with the hitboxes.

I actually like it, and maybe if he gets a boss fight in the next DKCR it could be applied to it as a way to find his weak spot.

D

Deleted member

K. Rool's moveset is fine. I think it fits a character like him. As far as a moveset having too many references....Doesn't almost every character in Smash have multiple references in their moveset already? I've heard of things like a character having a bad recovery, but a character having too many references in their moveset? That's certainly a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I said "worst offender" for a reason, it's simply the easiest example to showcase how references can actually ruin a fun character concept. Despite K. Rool's specials, his A moves actually work.
And the problem with K.Rool is that it seems his theme came after his moves, if you throw a bunch of uncohesive moves together, of course they're gonna be "unconventional"
But there's nothing uncohesive about them. The crown and blunderbuss fit with K. Rool's style incredibly well, and it's not like the counter or helipak is outlandishly out there.

You're not saying what is uncohesive about it.

Cracke

Smash Journeyman
Well, Richter's really popular in Japan? Even more so than Simon in some regards! And, anyway, they probably wouldn't have had the time to create another whole new fighter...
Richter is more popular than Simon in Japan, but the west doesn’t really know him. And He’s an echo fighter where Alucard would have to be unique.
because it would be a bit odd to add 2 fully unique reps from the same third-party franchise in one game
So that's why he's in the game, because of his popularity in the Japan. So the same reasons most Fire Emblem characters are in, makes sense.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
At least his moveset was made to focus on one play style, unlike :ultkrool:

It feels like they just slapped his specials on, for references, and called it a day. His specials really weren't tailored to focus on a certian style, and tbh, it really shows...
Than what would you have done? Make up a bunch of random things that he’s never done in any game like Ganondorf?

My guess is, you’d just not have put in K. Rool.

And THATS the problem here. We live in a world where suggestions the entire community used to rally behind are being ragged on and trashed. That is just completely ridiculous.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So that's why he's in the game, because of his popularity in the Japan. So the same reasons most Fire Emblem characters are in, makes sense.
Chrom and Marth were literally the only Fire Emblem characters to get in because of popularity. Everyone else was because they were from the most recent games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom