• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Just got done with Splatfest a bit ago:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

An odd Splatfest for sure. Scored higher than my last Splatfest even with me having an off day with the game and occasionally getting some meh teams. It was pretty much a constant back and forth between "Wow, me and the other Team Time Travel members are kinda bad" and "Wow, Team Time Travel's actually pretty good!"

It wasn't nearly as consistent as my last Splatfest, yet I somehow performed better. Ah well, still had a blast: Splatfest is always good for some great fun and your usual amount of salt. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So Noipoi given your love for HTTYD I take it you're gonna but The Hidden World on disc the day it comes out which is Tuesday?

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Spending my whole day moving furniture and cleaning, that's where.

RE:Revelations doesn't support co-op in the campaign. Only in the Raid Mode side missions. Which are definitely fun if you like the gameplay, but if you're looking for a co-op campaign to play through with someone, you want Revelations 2. Or RE5.

But what do you want to know?
Oh ok good to know. I got the Switch game which has RE:Revelations 1 and then 2 as a download code.

Just need to know if there's anything I should do at the start of the game or if it's a game you can just play through without knowing anything beforehand. Like in Dark Souls there's some items you really shouldn't waste and stuff, so kind of the same thing here. I'm brand new so anything a total newbie should know, I'd appreciate!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'll definitely be getting it too for sure. When I don't know maybe this week, sometime this year or during Christmas. Fact is I have to start budgeting myself more.

D

Deleted member

Anyone have any tips for looking androgynous for a person assigned male at birth
I feel like I would be happier doing that...

I will also ignore all eyebrow-related suggestions because they’re the one feature of me I like besides my butt
shave your facial hair and uh

yeah that's all i got

Roberk

Smash Champion
Shadow Dragon thoughts:
Opossum Opossum
Despite liking Marth, I had never actually played the Archanea saga and this year before Three Houses I mean to rectify that. I initially started playing this game at the start of the year but then I was busy with school and life stuff but I finally completed it. Honestly, I really wish I didn't put it down because it was a breeze to finish (stopped around chapter 16, only a third left to complete) and my playtime was only about 16 hours. I guess I had preconceived notions from long FE games like Echoes, Genealogy, and Blazing Blade, but Shadow Dragon was definitely the shortest game I've beaten in terms of playtime.

Gameplay: The gameplay of Shadow Dragon was incredibly simple, but also incredibly fun. For me it's FE boiled down to its core, efficiently using units on well-designed maps. The maps were great, not too open like to not allow for tactics but not too closed to choke your army and limit your positioning. I don't think I ever felt an enemy could cheaply come and kill one of my units or pressure me into sending a unit to be surrounded and potentially die to progress. One thing that was irksome Erksome (heh) was the villages. I love villages as something to incentivize exploring the map for a reward or expanding the story, but it was frustrating that only Marth, a unit who I needed to protect and only had 7 movement, was the only one who could visit villages. Reclassing was... there. I barely used it, because I was scared of making good units bad and I like using characters' "canon" classes. Shadow Dragon also gets points for breakable weapons, I think resource management is a big part of strategy games and using weapons efficiently always keep me on my toes even when an encounter is easy to beat. Some staff usages were kinda busted though, like a 12 use Hammerne? Multiple warp staffs that could send a unit anywhere on the map? Definitely abusable (but fun).

Characters: This might be one of Shadow Dragon's weakest points because most characters have little to no characterization. You've got most of the dialogue in the game coming from Marth and Nyna, some characters like Caeda, Merric, Hardin, etc. are more important than others with more dialogue and presence in the world, and then some characters basically just have a recruitment line and a death line (which are probably quite generic). But while this can be negative, it can also be positive, characters not mattering after their initial recruitment kept the flow of gameplay for me because if I lost a character I didn't really care about or need, I could just move on because I wasn't missing out on anything and could find a replacement. Shadow Dragon even incentivizes you to kill your units to access the gaiden chapters which I found interesting because it made me much more involved in teambuilding despite not doing an LTC because I wanted to play all of the maps, though this was totally out of line with Marth's ideal of losing no one no matter what. Speaking of Marth, Shadow Dragon made me appreciate his character more but I'm going to have to beat New Mystery (and possibly read an Old Mystery script because of Kris's overabundance in New Mystery) to really judge his character. I can't really say much about personalities that I liked as there wasn't much to absorb, but Caeda's always fun and I enjoyed Xane's antics. To talk about some characters gameplay-wise: Wolf was amazing when I reclassed him to a general, he kept getting strength and defense levels and was so physically beefy. Abel was my MVP (he actually accidentally soloed Medeus), he was a 20/20 paladin and capped strength, skill, and speed, amazing unit. Xane's shapeshifting was interesting but frustrating to use because he didn't copy HP and I'd have to heal him to put him into combat and he wasted XP. Lena is definitely my favorite cleric I've ever used because when she promoted to a sage she helped Merric fill the magic niche very well. Caeda's just OP, she became pretty beefy for a pegasus knight and hit hard early on with the immensely powerful Wing Spear and got lots of strength levels to be useful in the lategame. Finally, Marth was a very serviceable lord always being able to double and being able to level more after 20.

Story: The story was ok, it never got too crazy and everything seemed quite sensible. I just wish the really dramatic moments were elaborated on and were presented better to really make the story something special, though I guess that goes with the limit of being a DS game. Rather than another remake because I'd rather all of the other pre-Awakening games to be remade first, I'd like maybe a full anime to give some of Shadow Dragon's iconic and hard-hitting scenes the weight they deserve. Seeing "I am a prince before I am a son or a brother" or Marth and Nyna's confrontation with Camus in action would be amazing.

Presentation: The music was ok, but I didn't really hear anything that made me instantly want to download and listen to over and over again like other songs in the series, I guess it really matched the reserved nature of the game. Graphics... if people say that the Three Houses portraits are bad then just point them to Shadow Dragon. I like the actual artwork, but the portraits are probably some of my least favorite in the series. They're bland and devoid of personality. Nowhere near as soulful as pixelated portraits before them or as dynamic as drawn portraits after them. New Mystery really shows how the Archanean characters can look good with detailed portraits. The map artwork was good, it's darkness matched the tone of the game compared to the brighter GBA games. Combat animation was really disappointing because when it comes to 3D models: "just because you can doesn't mean you should". Sprite artwork just looks much better than the 3D models the DS can produce.

Overall: While the presentation and lack of fleshed out characters was disappointing, the core FE gameplay and a serviceable story make this game a quick and fun way to experience "Marth from Super Smash Bros. Melee". 7/10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom