• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I can't believe agnes killed the thread by dabbing
GOD DAMMIT PYRA

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Dragon Quest rep does not hype me up...though of course Joker caused too much hype

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Dragon Quest rep does not hype me up...though of course Joker caused too much hype
Same here although it is pretty much inevitable methinks. I would have had Crono or Sora as an SE "rep" personally.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
mfw 'brave' was the most obvious answer all along

View attachment 218737
Well if you think about it, the code names ARE objectively obscured anywhere from just the sound the character makes (piranha plant) to literary references (joker)

“Brave”, notably, was the only one found that wasn’t explicitly in Japanese. In bravely default, “Bravely” is written as “Bureiburī”, brave being “bureibu”

It being in English caused everyone in the west to jump the gun and think it could have implied a western character (besides the Erdrick thing). However, after some thought, it could be as simple as using the English spelling of the first part of the title of the franchise.

Again, pointing out that Plant’s was just the sound it makes.

Edit: rather, more directly, his name. I took it a bit further cause his name is based on the sound, my bad

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Well if you think about it, the code names ARE objectively obscured anywhere from just the sound the character makes (piranha plant) to literary references (joker)

“Brave”, notably, was the only one found that wasn’t explicitly in Japanese. In bravely default, “Bravely” is written as “Bureiburī”, brave being “bureibu”

It being in English caused everyone in the west to jump the gun and think it could have implied a western character (besides the Erdrick thing). However, after some thought, it could be as simple as using the English spelling of the first part of the title of the franchise.

I thought plant was "packu", short for it's japanese name, Packun Flower?

D

Deleted member

It's not JUST the sound, it's actually far more straightforward than the others.

It'd be literally just like if the file name was "piranha" as it is called Pakkun Flower in Japan.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I thought plant was "packu", short for it's japanese name, Packun Flower?
The name of the character itself in Japanese is a reference to what noise it makes tbh

Pakupaku is the onomatopoeia for opening and closing your mouth over and over again

It's not JUST the sound, it's actually far more straightforward than the others.

It'd be literally just like if the file name was "piranha" as it is called Pakkun Flower in Japan.
Yeah I went a step farther but point still stands

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The name of the character itself in Japanese is a reference to what noise it makes tbh

Pakupaku is the onomatopoeia for opening and closing your mouth over and over again

Yeah I went a step farther but point still stands
Not exactly since Plant didn't have a codename to begin with unlike Jack (and Doyle) and Brave.
It's like saying "donkey" and "captain" are codenames when that's just Donkey Kong and Captain Falcon.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Regardless of the actual character, I'm rather glad the whole situation brought some attention to Bravely. I had never considered it for Smash until I heard about that damn file name for the first time.

D

Deleted member

Greetings, everyone!
The weekend is here.
I hope I will see Detective Pikachu this weekend.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I mean uhhh guys yeaaah I don’t actually think about this stuff and just keep postulations away from this thread nooooo ha ha I’m just joshin y’all!!! Joshing!!!! Ha!

Not exactly since Plant didn't have a codename to begin with unlike Jack (and Doyle) and Brave.
It's like saying "donkey" and "captain" are codenames when that's just Donkey Kong and Captain Falcon.
Oh that’s what you were saying. I still hold by my point, though even in that case.

In the case of it being a reference to the Erdrick, it’s not like that’s too much “more obscure” than what I claimed- someone who is referred to as “the brave” by the staff, youd think that wouldn’t be just that haha

Anyway it’s just my two cents. Feel free to ignore and throw away etc etc I don’t really mind I just wanted to say it haha

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Brave is Batman because Nintendo really misinterpreted all those people complaining we had Joker and Robin but not Batman.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hi everyone,

Last night we had an incident that required urgent attention by the staff. I am here to clarify our policy regarding content indicating self-harm and how it is handled. Before I begin I remind everyone that if you have any further questions on these rules and/or moderator actions you are free to raise your concerns and make a thread in Forum Support, send me or one of the admins a Private Message, or message us through Discord.

Users who are actively having thoughts of self-harm are in a very delicate state. As such, when a post indicating self-harm is identified, the staff removes the post or discussion thereafter in order to avoid situations where the user might be pushed over the edge. Afterwards, the staff quickly gets in touch with the user in order to provide support and help to the best of our ability.

Concern was raised as to why a lot of the posts in the discussion were removed. Particularly, those that were trying to help the user and having positive messages. These are not seen as negative by the staff or things that are to be penalized. However, we need to remove the whole discussion to avoid the potential of having certain parties troll or joke about the situation. We must not work under assumptions. It is critical we avoid situations that could turn lethal.

---------------------------------------------------------

Additionally, there was also concern regarding Forum Support itself. The amount of time it takes for replies from admins in particular. There is usually a high number of threads that require attention. Some of the threads are also complex in nature. Additionally, admins live on different time zones, and the times that they are active on the site will differ. For this reason, it takes time for the staff to discuss and perform adequate responses to the concerns of users.

---------------------------------------------------------

I hope this clarifies some of your concerns. And as mentioned above, feel free to contact me or one of the members of the staff if you have further questions.

Attentively,
Locuan

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Surprised people remember this guy.
I have memories as a young kid because despite being decent in other games I just could not beat the first stage in Aero- so that music and color scheme and visuals are forever burned into my head

Imagine having this in your head for years and as soon as you forget the first four notes blare in your head and remind you to git good

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
In bravely default, “Bravely” is written as “Bureiburī”, brave being “bureibu”
unless i'm misunderstanding, the japanese version of bravely also just flat out uses the english word 'bravely' in its title

1557511298771.png

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
unless i'm misunderstanding, the japanese version of bravely also just flat out uses the english word 'bravely' in its title

View attachment 218738
You’re right. I was talking about the pronunciation (it’s in Japanese right on top of Bravely) and the fact they intentionally use the word in English in the title too

I’ll probably be able to word my thoughts better and come up with more reasons later tbh

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash Ultimate is the greatest game ever made, the closest we will ever get to the perfect video game, and it's truly what all of gaming history has been leading up to, don't @ me

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
You’re right. I was talking about the pronunciation (it’s in Japanese right on top of Bravely) and the fact they intentionally use the word in English in the title too

I’ll probably be able to word my thoughts better and come up with more reasons later tbh
yeah, my thinking before erdrick really kicked off was that 'brave' has much more immediate significance to a japanese dev working on a bravely character than a japanese dev working on erdrick, since 'brave' is only related to erdrick through translation to english

tbh if it wasn't for tansut i'd probably still be much more skeptical on erdrick

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just out of Detective Pikachu.

It was...okay. Didn't blow my mind aside from a few cool twists, but wasn't bad either. Definitely a fun flick.

Would recommend if you have time.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
yeah, my thinking before erdrick really kicked off was that 'brave' has much more immediate significance to a japanese dev working on a bravely character than a japanese dev working on erdrick, since 'brave' is only related to erdrick through translation to english

tbh if it wasn't for tansut i'd probably still be much more skeptical on erdrick
Yeah

I mean most of my reasoning is still just cause I get a thrill from the potential of being right betting on the underdog (probably a gambling addiction red flag lmfao) but I feel like people do sleep on the possibility.

I don’t disagree the Erdrick is definitely looking to be the most likely.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
CannonStreak CannonStreak @Coricus

Inspired by the recent trailers for Crash Team Racing Nitro Fuled, I give you....

1. Team Sonic
    1. Sonic the Hedgehog
    2. Tails Prower
    3. Knuckles the Echidna
  2. Team Dark
    1. Shadow the Hedgehog
    2. Rouge the Bat
    3. E-123 Omega
  3. Team Rose
    1. Amy Rose
    2. Cream the Rabbit
    3. Big the Cat
  4. Team Mighty
    1. Mighty the Armadillo
    2. Ray the Flying Squirrel
    3. Honey the Cat
  5. Team Chaotix
    1. Espio the Chameleon
    2. Charmy Bee
    3. Vector the Crocodile
  6. Team Silver
    1. Silver the Hedgehog
    2. Blaze the Cat
    3. Maurine the Raccoon
  7. Team Eggman
    1. Dr. Eggman
    2. Metal Sonic
    3. Zavok
  8. Team Hooligan
    1. Fang the Sniper
    2. Bean the Dynamite
    3. Bark the Polar Bear
  9. Team Chaos
    1. Chaos
    2. Chao
    3. Tikal
  10. Team Rogues
    1. Jet the Hawk
    2. Wave the Swallow
    3. Storm the Albatross
  11. Team Sticks
    1. Sticks the Badger
    2. Comedy Chimp
    3. Soar the Eagle
  12. Team Freedom
    1. Sally Acorn
    2. Bunny Rabbot
    3. Rotor the Walrus
  13. Team Underground
    1. Manic the Hedgehog
    2. Sonia the Hedgehog
    3. Queen Aleena Hedgehog

Do you think anyone is missing?
A bit much, but still nice, if I do say so, myself.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Regardless of the actual character, I'm rather glad the whole situation brought some attention to Bravely. I had never considered it for Smash until I heard about that damn file name for the first time.
I here ya buddy. I’ve been on the Bravely train ever since Vergeben said there would be another Square rep, all the way back during base roster speculation.

It’s kinda surprising that it’s legitimately possible that a Bravely character could be the Square rep. I figured that everyone would just forget about them.

But ever since that codename dropped, I regained a bit of hope.

Maybe it’ll work out idk. But we’re gonna find out soon so... we’ll see.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Same here although it is pretty much inevitable methinks. I would have had Crono or Sora as an SE "rep" personally.
I’m more in favor of Lara Croft, but Sora would be acceptable for me

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I here ya buddy. I’ve been on the Bravely train ever since Vergeben said there would be another Square rep, all the way back during base roster speculation.

It’s kinda surprising that it’s legitimately possible that a Bravely character could be the Square rep. I figured that everyone would just forget about them.

But ever since that codename dropped, I regained a bit of hope.

Maybe it’ll work out idk. But we’re gonna find out soon so... we’ll see.
Tbh I'd have probably given up on idea, but Bravely Third existing and being a theoretical E3 reveal is too tempting to my hopes. :054:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
more fun food for thought:

brave is still technically a codename if it's masking a character's precise identity like agnes or ringabel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom