• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Are Sakurai's comments regarding the Belmonts bad news for picks like Crash Bandicoot or any other western third-party character?
Well if they are, then they're bad news for every 3rd party developer, not just Western IPs.
If not, then it's purely business as usual.

D

Deleted member

Fwiw I believe this is under the specific paradigm of being base, under whatever restrictions were present there. I assume they play by different rules financially and logistically when dealing with standalone DLC packs, towards which third-parties are probably more amenable.

In short, I'm still expecting the rest of the season to be primarily if not entirely third-party.

Oh and also, called that one.
But remember back during the November Direct and other instances that Sakurai also confirmed that the DLC lineup was also being planned alongside the base roster.

If Castlevania and Persona 5 are to believed to be some of the last choices for third parties, what would be next?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
But remember back during the November Direct and other instances that Sakurai also confirmed that the DLC lineup was also being planned alongside the base roster.

If Castlevania and Persona 5 are to believed to be some of the last choices for third parties, what would be next?
That lends credence to the idea that Square and possibly Mojang wanted their (additional) characters kept to DLC, even if they were negotiated first

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I wonder if anyone had brought up this part from a recent Sakurai interview? Would seem for preeeetty interesting discussion here in the threads. Especially this part: "...when I was thinking of bringing another franchise from a different company, there weren't many options."

This lines up with something Sakurai said after Cloud was released in Smash Wii U and 3DS.

—Still, Ryu and Cloud crossing over into Smash must surely be a smash hit with long-time gamers. You really know how to make people happy.

Sakurai: At the same time, gamers from that generation probably already have all the characters they could want. Mega Man has also joined the fray, so there might not be anyone left.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, if Sakurai thinks he's reaching the bottom of the barrel in terms of third party classics, I'd have to seriously have to question what he considers "classic."

osby

Smash Obsessed
As usual, people are taking the stuff Sakurai says way too seriously. He said there aren't "many" left. Less than many can literally mean any number between one and five in this context, there is no reason to make a huge deal out of it, especially since we just got Persona.

Also, since this thread is apperently into cannibalism now: Play Digital Devil Saga and thank me later.

D

Deleted member

If Sakurai does indeed confirm to go only with third party properties from the 2000s to the 2010s, we will sadly have to scrap the idea of some picks getting in, including Crash.

But we can't say for sure that he will do that at the moment, doh.

Iridium

Smash Hero
IMG_20190218_043918_hdr.jpg

Not sure why my photos keep coming out the wrong way.

I screwed up the shield a bit, and perhaps I have an issue adjusting size. Based on this as reference. Everything else seemed okay to me.

2 drawings in less than 2 hours is the most I've done recently.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think I need to...

This Yoshi's smug aura mocks me.

If Sakurai does indeed confirm to go only with third party properties from the 2000s to the 2010s, we will sadly have to scrap the idea of some picks getting in, including Crash.

But we can't say for sure that he will do that at the moment, doh.
Before Bayo, Smash exclusively added guest fighters from 20th century and still most of our third party line-up is from the first two decades of gaming. It's no surprise that Sakurai feels we have enough characters for older gamers.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Cannibalism is the act of eating one's own species, not eating humans.

So even with glitches, Yoshi's not a cannibal in Yoshi's Island.

Smash Bros Mirror Matches on the other hand...

osby

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 193139
Not sure why my photos keep coming out the wrong way.

I screwed up the shield a bit, and perhaps I have an issue adjusting size. Based on this as reference. Everything else seemed okay to me.

2 drawings in less than 2 hours is the most I've done recently.
It looks really cute. And a sketch per hour is pretty productive, I hardly make one drawing per week.

D

Deleted member

Before Bayo, Smash exclusively added guest fighters from 20th century and still most of our third party line-up is from the first two decades of gaming. It's no surprise that Sakurai feels we have enough characters for older gamers.
I personally don't mind that.
In fact, this mighte even mean that the Dragon Quest rep could be Eight instead of Erdrick, which is something I would be completely fine with since I want Eight in Smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I personally don't mind that.
In fact, this mighte even mean that the Dragon Quest rep could be Eight instead of Erdrick, which is something I would be completely fine with since I want Eight in Smash.
I heavily doubt Sakurai's going to pick one DQ hero over another just because one is newer, considering neither of them are the most recent one.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In terms of large gaming icons, I think we have most of the Japanese ones already.

Chances are characters you can name that are famous enough that your parents know are most likely American ones.

Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Creeper from Minecraft
Lara Croft
Master Chief
Doom person

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
In terms of large gaming icons, I think we have most of the Japanese ones already.

Chances are characters you can name that are famous enough that your parents know are most likely American ones.

Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Creeper from Minecraft
Lara Croft
Master Chief
Doom person
I feel like the last BIG Classic Japanese 3rd Party Character is Ryu Hayabusa. (Not including Erdrick I guess) Any other character is either western made or just not iconic enough.

Everyone is sleeping on Rayman though. He may not be AS iconic as some other characters but he's a damn good choice if we're really "at the bottom of the barrel".

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I feel like the last BIG Classic Japanese 3rd Party Character is Ryu Hayabusa. (Not including Erdrick I guess) Any other character is either western made or just not iconic enough.

Everyone is sleeping on Rayman though. He may not be AS iconic as some other characters but he's a damn good choice if we're really "at the bottom of the barrel".
I'd argue Leon Kennedy and Heihachi are pretty god damn iconic, but there are other issues that I think are holding them back.

I'd also argue that Bomberman might be more iconic than Ryu Hyabusa, but his chances of being playable aren't looking too good.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Eh, i don't know...

Also I need an Ibuprofen. That fall really dealt a number on my tush... :yoshi:
Get well soon, man.

I was going to say "Dragon Quest", but then I remembered it's not a character... Slime?

D

Deleted member

I'd argue Leon Kennedy and Heihachi are pretty god damn iconic, but there are other issues that I think are holding them back.

I'd also argue that Bomberman might be more iconic than Ryu Hyabusa, but his chances of being playable aren't looking too good.
Crash Bandicoot is also another one.

Crash Warped used to be the best selling western game in Japan for a long time until Spider-Man PS4 launched there and broke the record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom