• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
brickman, are you the official president of RSO?

What does RSO even stand for exactly? O_o;

If you're president, you should make a facebook group for this. :D

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Yup, I tried to get Allen for SMYM 2 and I was told that only Unit One groups can get that. If you can snag it, that's great, but I'm perfectly happy with Weston.

The real problem with the Union (not to trivialize the lack of comfy chairs) is that there is no big TV. Being minus one TV for a big tournament when you're lucky if you get 5 TVs is bad.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
Well, can Robin be the one to rent the room? A combination of RSO and residency could work right?

And ****it, my name is Jon not John (technically it's neither but whatever).

brickman

Smash Lord
Sorry Jon, lol.

as far as reserving space at Allen Hall they are pretty big jerks. In order to reserve a space the majority of your group has to be Allen Hall. That shouldn't be too hard to swing, or lie about. The true problem is that we are not a group that was formed under Unit One rules. Therefore this means that we are limited in the times that we can use Allen Hall space. They are really up tight about this and defend it pretty hard.

As far as the Union, I Can bring a television, I know we wont be able to have a whole bunch of big televisions, but maybe we can get some money requests from the school to get some cheap televisions off of craigslist. Just a suggestion.

_marth1_

Smash Lord
this is matt...i am done with class at 1pm today...that'd be awesome if someone (deku or anyone who wants to) could come play me, we have a nice couch and a bigish tv here, tom will be in and out until 4 so he can play too

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I was done with class at 8:15 today...

The university as a whole is very uptight about letting groups use their space. My friend was lucky when he hosted SMYM 1 in April 2004 that the rules were not very strict back then, but when I started looking for places in August I found that they had recently (within the last few weeks) beefed up their rules to make them almost impenetrable.

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
I live in Allen Hall too, so I can talk with Robin and Franklin and together we can try and muscle them over. 3 is close enough to a majority.. ^^;

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
I talked to my RA about securing the Allen lounge. The best way to secure it is to make it a social event for Allen Hall. This means it would be advertised in the weekly Allen newsletter, "Allennotes". If its open to all comers, it doesn't matter whether our club is affiliated with Allen or not, though it will probably require an Allen resident to fill out the request form, which I will gladly do, once I get the nods from you guys.

My RA also said it might be difficult to secure it for Saturdays at 1. Saturday afternoon is obviously the most popular time to use the lounge, and there are a bunch of huge groups who might want to use it, so reserving it every week might be difficult. If they don't let us reserve it for 1, I'll try and get it for later that night instead, unless we can decide on a good backup time.

Please respond quickly, so I can sign us up!

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
When I do fill out the form, I'll need to post a description, which will be publicly displayed throughout Allen Hall. So this is what I'm thinking:

Take a break from studies this Saturday and come down to the lounge for some hard earned smashing with the official Super Smash Bros. Melee club, RSO! You can meet new players, learn different strategies, and of course, have a great time. Unfortunately, we don't have as many systems as we would like, so tug your TV and/or Gamecube along! We'll love you for it!

Anything I should change? Should I take out the association with RSO?

brickman

Smash Lord
we are Smashing Illini, just so you know. Everything else sounds pretty good. See what times you can get for Saturday.

Thanks a lot for helping out.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
I don't think there's a big rush it get it reserved and I don't think a lot of people are keen on later in the day in saturday. If we can't get between 1 or 3 pm for a long enough time, we may as well just go to the union and I'll try and bring my tv (if someone can pick me up).

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
...you mean Weston.

3 is a bit late for me. My buddies and I always get together Saturday evenings. So if 1 doesn't work, Weston it is.

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
A new source tells me it cannot be an event FOR a club, but it can be an Allen party SPONSORED by a club, so that's how I'm going to swing the request. "Sponsorship" shouldn't make much of a difference though.

Just a heads up.

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
Alright. I submitted the form. I decided to ask for just this one saturday, since it's more likely we can get that. After we receive permission, I will submit another form, asking for every saturday.

Also, they said to allow five business days for response, but I don't think they'll actually take that long. I mean, how many requests can they get?

Sorry for all the double posts

slomo431

Smash Ace
Nice work guys. It's nice to see some planning and organization to go with our smashings. Jon I'll pick you and your TV up when you need it. If anybody else can only bring their setup if they get a ride, I guess I could be willing to make one or two more detours especially if they're at ISR with Jon or close to it. I'll be Secretary of Transportation for the RSO.

Speaking of social events for Allen Hall, SSB: Super Smash Barcrawl!

RHYMES!!!!

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of social events for Allen Hall, SSB: Super Smash Barcrawl!
Good sir, you just blew my mind.

Alright, just so I understand this situation, Mike has put a request in to use Allen this saturday at 1. If that doesn't work we will be at Weston at 1, correct? I think the system Allen uses for reserving is for more time in advance since they said 5 business days.

And I probably don't need to bring a TV normally, but I'll bring it if no one else can or for tournaments.

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
I got a reply from Allen. My request was denied because the time slot was already taken for something else.

Guess we're at weston then...

I'll fill out another request for the same time next week.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I don't mean to discredit the work you guys have done to try to secure Allen, but I'm afraid I don't see why it's any better than Weston. Besides, it was super cold last time.

So, yeah. Weston at 1 Saturday.

slomo431

Smash Ace
I need to get some smash in during the week. Weekends take too long to arrive. I no longer have class on Thursdays and Fridays. And only one on Tuesdays. And only two on Monday and Wednesdays. Are we still planning on getting semiweeklies? Cause almost any day is good for me now.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
I would rather our weekday stuff happen on Tuesdays. That's the best day for me at least.

I'd prefer Allen just cause I'd rather not lug a TV across campus to Weston, but I'd lug it to Allen. Then again if Henrik is gonna give me a ride then that doesn't matter and I can bring a TV if my roommate doesn't need it regardless of location.

brickman

Smash Lord
We can have different meeting. We can find what works out best for everyone and have two different days. It seems like a group can play on Tuesday and a group can play on Wednesday, than we can all play together on Saturday.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
So Jon, see if Henrik can pick you up. If not, I can, but I'm so much further away.

edit: I originally read your post as "if someone is gonna give me a ride," so uhhhh, I guess this post was unnecessary.

slomo431

Smash Ace
Jon and Vikaas, if you need a ride from me tomorrow to bring your stuff just coordinate with each other and tell me what time you guys want me to be there.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
tues/thurs works really well for me
cept i have exams this week so i dunno if ill show up this tues
but yeah will the tues one be at allen or ?

brickman

Smash Lord
dunno yet, it is kind of in the hands of mike ladror. He lives there and probably has more sway. He should find the people who play smash in allen hall, get them to join the mailing list and then protest at allen hall to let us play there.

Nekomancer

Smash Journeyman
Yeow, I didn't know I was supposed to arrange something for Tuesday. At this point (monday) I cannot possibly put in a request for tomorrow. I tried again for next Saturday, but it's already reserved.

I think we should try for Weston tomorrow (whether they know we're coming or not ^_^) and if that doesnt work, maybe invade someones apartment.

I'll put in another request for next Tuesday at 1.

I'm can't go tomorrow though T_T. See you all next saturday!

Top Bottom