• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

brickman

Smash Lord
Please give me a general idea as to where you guys want to have friendlies and weekend tournaments located. I went to the orientation, and filling out forms is the next step. We should have official locations for next week. I just need to know where and when you guys want them.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
Well, I think sunday is good for just about everyone so sunday at 3 should work. If we can rent the room at Allen, that would be cool. If not, we can fall back on Weston.

slomo431

Smash Ace
I was going to suggest that too. 2 or 1 would be more preferable, because I expect I will usually leave to go eat around 6.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I'm not sure about the Union. The downstairs rooms are much bigger than what we need, and the upstairs rooms are... upstairs. Plus, I don't believe any of them already has a big TV like Weston or Allen.

I like Weston and Allen a lot, so unless someone knows of something else with comfy chairs and a big TV and a nice location...

brickman

Smash Lord
Alright, Allen Hall sounds good to me. Will start working on trying to get that space reserved for ooo say the next 2 months or so for Saturdays and Wednesdays?

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so we'll meet at 1 at Allen? And for a weekday smashfest, wednesday doesn't work for me. Could we do it on tuesdays? Tuesdays are great for me.

brickman

Smash Lord
Alright, as far as getting these tournaments publicized, that should not be a problem. We just need to come up with a design to put on a flyer, and then we can print a ton of them off. We get a discount rate for printing if we want to do it through the school because of RSO status. If someone would like to come up with a flyer design and present it this Sunday, that would be awesome.

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
you could use an engineering student to print for free as well, theres a 300 page quota for ews labs and i believe another 300 just for everitt

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
Alright, as far as getting these tournaments publicized, that should not be a problem. We just need to come up with a design to put on a flyer, and then we can print a ton of them off. We get a discount rate for printing if we want to do it through the school because of RSO status. If someone would like to come up with a flyer design and present it this Sunday, that would be awesome.
I'll bring a design

btw, what would you like on the flyer and what will we call this RSO?

brickman

Smash Lord
The RSO is called "Smashing Illini"

As far as stuff to put on the flyer besides general information about time location, etc. Just put stuff that relates to the game. Characters, items, screen shots.

feel free to be creative.

Dew Rag, (just tell me your real name please, I like to be on a actually name basis, mine being brickman)
If what ryzingsun11 says is true, then we can get them printed there, we just need an engineering students help.

Tom, you're a engineering student, correct?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
We're just talking about fliers for the tournaments, right? Because I would hate to have big turnouts at regular old smashfests. I'm imagining 30 novice players showing up who certainly don't bring extra setups (we're lucky if they bring trollers) and cramping our style, or am I just being an old grump?

We do need to get extra setups somehow. 3 TVs is going to make for very long tournaments.

As for putting up fliers, I did plenty of that for SMYMs before I gave it up a year or two ago. It's a pain in the ***. You're lucky if they stay up for more than a day or two anyway, so if you really want to get exposure you have to go out several times.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
my name is durand

should i just put sundays at 3? at weston?

and do we really need to put stuff about the game? i mean i think most people know what the game is
or do u mean like rules 4 stock 8 min time limit etc etc?

brickman

Smash Lord
I think you misunderstand. I don't think we need anything for this weekend, I would like it to be quiet and small still for this weekend. Once I have reserved a place, hopefully for next weekend, than you can make a flier, but for this week just bring some ideas.

As far as rules. Just put bring your own controller, and if they have more information they can contact a member of the group.

slomo431

Smash Ace
Speaking of Chipotle, when are we gonna see some of those burrito coupons? I still have like 7 breakfast burrito coupons from last year...

slomo431

Smash Ace
Allen at 1 on Sunday? I thought everyone was pretty set on that. I really need to play some matches. I can't figure out how to wavedash consistently anymore.

Azuryu

Smash Cadet
Yeah 300 for ews and 300 more for ECE students. Let me know if you need some printing. Need to waste 600 pages this semester... Oh btw, these pages will be in black and white though. I am not sure about printing in color. I believe ews lets you do that and its like 2 or 3 pages for color. Everitt doesn't let you print color.

brickman

Smash Lord
Alright this is what we are going to do, in case there was any confusion.

We are going to have our friendlies/tournament at Allen Hall in the Main Lounge (PM if you need directions) at 1 PM on Sunday. If this place is occupied I suppose we could always fall back on Weston.

I would like to know who is going to be able to bring set ups.

On another, hopefully we can get some notice in the Allen Notes (Allen Hall's weekly newsletter) to inform people about these things so people can come out and see how they like it.

As far as the fliers, Durand, you will hopefully have an outline ready for Sunday that you can present to some of the people who are there. Then you should get into contact with Azuryu in order to make some copies of your flier.

I think this just about covers all things related for this weekend and the upcoming week (disregarding the tentative location and time of mid-week friendlies in the upcoming week).

Thanks for all your help, see you guys on Sunday.

slomo431

Smash Ace
Speaking of crews, maybe if we have enough people one of these days we could try crew battles. Each of the twins can be their own crew.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
I was just thinking that the Bears are playing on Sunday and we might have to fight people to get the TV (I really want to watch the game too).

I think the flyers should go up in places they have less chance of being taken down. I think by the dining halls of dorms would be good. Other than that, random places on the quad or something.

And I wouldn't mind doing crews either.

flipkid

Smash Apprentice
soo the bears game starts at 3.. im thinking that maybe doing the smashfest in the evening would work better if we actually wanted a tv bigger than a ruler... plus i wouldnt be able to show up until 430 at the earilest even without the bears game..

i got a big *** tv and a wii at my place.. plus lots of space... but no game/memory card though

but yeah.... i think after the bears game would be much better then before the bears game... something like 6-9 pm say for example... that way the lounges will be more accessible..

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Ugh, I have class at 8 on Mondays. If we do Sunday night, I'll leave around 9 also.
I don't really know how this football stuff works. And are there a lot of Sunday games? Saturday? Maybe we should be thinking about Friday nights instead?

The quad is the best place for fliers, but they are guaranteed to be torn down or (if you put them on that column) covered up in a day or two. I also like the streetposts at the Green/Wright intersection, but again, they get torn down.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I know it's short notice, but I could do tomorrow at 1 also. I would prefer that to Sunday at 6, if you guys are up for it?

Top Bottom