• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

slomo431

Smash Ace
haha all i know is that its an actuarial analyst...as far as department, do you mean life/health vs prop/cas? i havent done any research on the company yet so i dont even know what they do hahaha

i have a 0% hit rate so you got me beat by an infinite amount on that front

mostly i just want scoop i can use at the interview to make me seem smart
I honestly think my track record with interviews is pure luck but ill try to describe a bit of what I do. I offer no guarantees with my advice.

Definitely research the company. I always look at press releases, awards and recognition the company has gotten, their community efforts, maybe a glance at annual reports and other financial info. Also I look em up on google news and just explore their website for an hour or two for anything else. I also learn about their products a bit but other than a general overview of what they do and where they operate it hasn't come up much in interviews.

Come up with a decent list of questions. I usually have some general, like what's the corporate culture like, and some gleaned from my research on that specific co. Since its health its also good to brush up on what's happened the last few years with health care reform. Also with your questions try not to sound like you're just picking at random off a list try to have questions that might naturally flow from one to the next, like from how large is the act department to how valued do you feel the act dep is at this co? Have enough questions to carry the interview if necessary, I've had a guy stop asking me stuff 15 min into a 1 hr interview and had to keep it going myself.

Get your stories straight. By that I mean, its best to answer a good number of questions with an example from your history illustrating that answer. With my being out of work like 10 months I typed out word for word good stories I felt could be used about my experience. It helped getting it on paper beforehand to refresh it all in my memory. Didn't memorize it but remembered all the main ideas. Could be a good exercise for you too since id expect you to mostly talk about what you did in college. There's a lot of good question lists online you can use to get an idea of what to talk about.

Lunch is part of the interview. Its a lot less formal, you can relax a bit, but you still have to be on, sort of. Be friendly, maybe ask them what they do and how they like things at the co, and just generally carry on conversation. I've always been taken out by other entry level people near my potential level.

You prolly know not to ask about benefits at this stage, but I've been advised not to ask about act study programs too. I guess at this point its just assumed everybody has a decent one. I've asked at lunch most of the time though.

A few questions seemingly always come up throughout a day of interviews. Andy will probably be able to describe what humana interviews are like specifically, but things like your greatest weakness, where you see yourself in x amount of years, and why you want to work for this company always seem to be there. For me, I've never really given out a real weakness, always some bs. There's a lot of good examples online, but use something that applies to you and that you can back up. My "weakness" is my overly strong attention to detail making me work a bit slow and methodically, but I always use good time managment to meet my deadlines and I feel it just shows my dedication to doing things the right way. Actuarial outpost is another good resource if you need a few ideas on some tougher questions.

For you specifically, there's a good chance you're going to be asked what you've been doing the past few years, so be ready for that. It came up for me about my 10 months.

Sorry if that's long I'm just spitting out anything that comes to mind.

Edit: oh yeah and like andy said try to figure out what you're interviewing for.

slomo431

Smash Ace
Also funnily enough two weeks or so ago I got an interview scheduling call from humana as well, but obviously had to decline. Man, we could've had smashfests in the breakroom! Or maybe we were up for the same job!

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
thanks henrik

although i'm curious as to why you did that at 3 am

i think they might just be trying to bring in every UIUC actuary still out there..they got andy, they wanted you, and then now me

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Gee Henrik, you should have taken the interview. So you burn a few bridges. Getting some of the old gang back together would have been worth it.

Call them back and tell them you've changed your mind.

Matt, study some VBA for the next two weeks if you haven't been already. Everyone always asked me about computer skills, and they were glad to hear I was working on them despite not having a job. One guy at Allianz in Minneapolis even came down on me because he didn't think I was doing enough to improve my skills, but that's not very common.

This is despite the fact that learning that stuff happens much faster on the job.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
What do you do nowadays? You were fresh when I was a senior so you just graduated, right?
yep i graduated last may

I'm a research coordinator at Wash U right now (basically I coordinate cancer treatment studies)

I'm hoping to go to med school next year :)

slomo431

Smash Ace
thanks henrik

although i'm curious as to why you did that at 3 am

i think they might just be trying to bring in every UIUC actuary still out there..they got andy, they wanted you, and then now me
Heh, I'm in the Eastern time zone, so try 4 am. What happened was I pretty much studied for MLC all weekend sleeping about 2 hours total Fri and Sat night and then crashing Sun night from 10pm-3:30am and being unable to go back to sleep.

Also I typed it all on my phone in bed.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
haha henrik you da bess, the thought of you typing actuarial stuff in bed on a phone brings a tear to my eye

yeah andy i intend to study up on all that stuff even though i could learn it so fast on the job as you said

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
might be able to go

I'm finding out dates and etc for smym will make a separate thread once i get it all figured out. Expect the date to be around feb/march

also might be able to get the 2nd floor instead of the main lobby where we normally have it. 2nd floor has more room, we had it there once for people that dont know.

we will be using pound 4 rules. any objections or requests?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
No, use Snexus 1 rules:

- items on
- all stages legal
- each player bans one stage for the match
- do a FFA in the middle of the bracket because you made it wrong

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
I've always wanted to do an expanded stage list with stage striking for each match. I think the space animals have too many good stages for that to work though.

otherwise, i say we go with whatever APEX does or the MBR new tentative ruleset.

edit: i need some melee this weekend. Friday/Sat/Sun i can do anytime.

jackmaster09

Smash Rookie
Hey UIUC smashers,

First post, I'm bert's roommate. Anyone want to play some smash today? I'm down anytime but gotta be done by 9.

tbhuang2

Smash Apprentice
Hey UIUC smashers,

First post, I'm bert's roommate. Anyone want to play some smash today? I'm down anytime but gotta be done by 9.
Is today at 5:15ish alright? Edit: sorry, can't actually make it today :(

And Bert, I am down for smash this weekend (anytime)

To anyone with a setup (PPV?), I have a car and can pick up you and your setup next time we have a smash session.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Ohhh, Matt, this must be Humana's recruiting event, like the one I went to a year ago. They rejected me that time. My boss said something today about doing interviews that Monday/Tuesday.

One of my interviewers asked me about something I have done in an innovative way. I talked about something "different" I have done (hosting tournaments), and then she told me that's not what really what she meant and I should try again (but not in so many words). Another, after asking me a question, encouraged me to use a different example from the one I had already been using for pretty much every question (also hosting tournaments).

With any luck, that's not what you have to look forward to. Interviewers aren't usually that tough. But you may want to think about "innovation." That seems to be a Humana theme.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I can do fri afternoon-evening and sun anytime.

Can't stay as late as last time tho, my parents are back in town.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
wow they rejected you and then accepted you for a similar position? strange times

do they even hire anyone during this recruitment thing?

and yeah its definitely mon/tues because the HR lady sent me the wrong schedule (monday) before she sent me tuesday's

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
They rejected me but I guess they put me on a list for future consideration, and then I got another interview in March. So I was just sorta bad, not really bad.
But still pretty bad. I think they said they were going to hire about 40% of the people who were there.
I guess for the recruitment event they have a bunch of positions open and you don't know which one you'll get. For the Spring interview, there was a specific opening.

There was also a dinner event the night before that was a waste of time, albeit tasty. But I think there was a sign-in sheet, so they might have known if I had skipped it.

slomo431

Smash Ace
Dang 40% and they brought people back later to hire? No wonder I only got calls from health companies when i was looking. Business is booming.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
sorry for the lack of communication gents. next time i'm semi free will be either tmw or after wed. also, who's down to go to sakurai this weekend?

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
er was it jack that texted me?

I dont know if i will be going atm, based on how much work I have to do and if I will be working. if we do go, I would have to come back on sat night or whatever since I have to work sunday.

also I will find out date/times soon for smym

slomo431

Smash Ace
Andy, how long did it take to finish your FAP? My goal is an ASA before the end of 2012. I'm borderline with passing MLC this sitting, so if I have to pass it next May I wanna gauge whether my goal is still a reality since I'd guess I'd need to get through the modules fairly quickly.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I started in early April and I'm planning to take the final assessment around the beginning of December. And going faster than that would not be hard. You'll be able to do that, although there will be a lag between finishing the final and actually getting the results. Right now interim assessment grading is taking about 10 weeks (I'm at 9 and still waiting), and I doubt final grading is going much faster.

You didn't see my question. When do you start?

slomo431

Smash Ace
I started in early April and I'm planning to take the final assessment around the beginning of December. And going faster than that would not be hard. You'll be able to do that, although there will be a lag between finishing the final and actually getting the results. Right now interim assessment grading is taking about 10 weeks (I'm at 9 and still waiting), and I doubt final grading is going much faster.

You didn't see my question. When do you start?
Oh, yeah I completely missed it. I actually started a couple weeks ago in mid-October. Since it was so close to my exam I had to stay in a hotel here in Indianapolis for 3 weeks because I just didn't have the time to look into it.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
eh, dont worry about those guys, I'm glad you guys are doing well. Kind of a nice update for me. Hope all goes well for you guys, Henrik, Andy, Matt. And Alex good luck getting into med school.

and also where is Tom? rofl

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
OK, I love you guys and stuff, but can we get a separate thread for Kentuckian Actuaries?
I have a better idea. How about a separate thread for UIUC smashers?

Besides, I'm the only Kentuckian Actuary posting in this thread. Henrik is an Indianan Actuary, and Matt is an Aspiring Kentuckian Actuary.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
So, I just came back from a smash tourney (kind of) at the Asian American Cultural Center. They had all three smash games there, and I played two really good Melee players both named Alex. One was a Luigi/Marth player, and the other was a Falco player (I'm Mark if you guys ever see this).

I also played a really good N64 player named Jason. He's really great.

Top Bottom