• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uair SHFFL Combos and Set-Ups

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
This is one of, if not the (next to the PTP), things I'm worst at with Dr. Mario and I know it is a key factor to his gameplay. Can Uair be used effectively against all characters? When is an appropriate time to use it? I just can't seem to ever make the attack functional or pull into combos with it. Any help or advice?

M3RC

Smash Apprentice
Ive found that c-stick works 1 bigillion times better and eaiser than Up+A. Also, Im pretty sure that upair shffl works best on fast-fallers.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
You're shouldn't be SHFFLing Doc's/Mario's Uair....it's just SH, Uair, FF.
You don't L-Cancel since the attack ends on it's own before Doc/Mario hits the ground.

Anyways, watch videos such as "Mario *** The Evolution" and "Uair...Blind" for Uair combo setups. It's common to see setups coming from a grab or U-tilt.

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
cause there is no reason to? there is no lag to cancel if the attack ends before you hit the ground. so what njzfinest is saying is... unless you're starting your attack way too late, you don't need an L-cancel. i think mario can get 2 uairs into one SH?

lol "uair blind"? serious?

i wonder if theirs a peach "dsmash blind" cause they need one

SmashMac

Smash Lord
The uair is an amazing link for three things in combos: 1.) Starting them, 2) Comboing in them/juggling, 3.) Moving towards the finish. It's good against all characters but in different aspects:

1.) Fast-fallers - Because you can use it as a link between combos/CG's because it's a follow up for a finish
2.) Weighted characters - Because you can shffl/juggle them across the stage if you perform it right
3.) Floaters - Because it keeps the ones like Peach in the air and abuses the fact that they has a bad DJ

What I usually do against FF'ers or Weighted characters is I'll get them to about 60% damage some kind of way (Combo, CG), then start to shffl uairs or just shffl one 'til they're about 80%, and then finish them(whatever's the best move for the finish ... it depends). It's effective man. Definantly something you should get down.

Oh yea, it's not necessary to shffl Doc's uair because the uair animation should be done by the time you hit the floor, but once the battle gets heatened up, you'll want to shffl them.

FOB

Smash Ace
uh.... -_-' you l-cancel them if you ff them. Which you should almost always.

~Grounded uairs work well as a jab substitute.
~from 40% Doc can uair juggle marth to about 80%?
~On fox/falco you can chaingrab to about 60% then stop and do uthrow to SHFFLD air to dsmash.
~uair lead to dsmash on fastfallers
~fairs/uairs on midweight
~fairs/uairs on mid floaty
~and fairs on floatys
~uairs can stop shine combos

^ only a few of the magical wonders of uair.

really in the end though its just a good, fast, combo leading aeriel.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
You don't need to l-cancel them if you FF them. If you actually do, then you must not be doing the Uair right after your short hop fast enough >_>

Smash Journeyman
You don't need to l-cancel them if you FF them. If you actually do, then you must not be doing the Uair right after your short hop fast enough >_>
yea your right but some peeps are accustomed to sfflin docs uairs from havind shfflin so much and forget that a ff uair is not needed.

i find that docs uair is definitly one of his best moves it leads to many set ups if you cant find the right way to use it then you need to either listen to the fine gentleman here or find out .

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
i wonder if theirs a peach "dsmash blind" cause they need one
There isn't and never should be. Just the thought of it hurts my soul.

Thank you very much Smashmac. That helps more than you think.

As for the SHFFLing of the Uairs... Well, I'll just practice a lot and take note of wether or not I Uair quick enough to not have to SHFFL, just SHFF. I'm still iffy on that. Thank you very much for the information though, guys. This is a good jump for me on my way to being a better Doc.

Smash Journeyman
There isn't and never should be. Just the thought of it hurts my soul.

Thank you very much Smashmac. That helps more than you think.

As for the SHFFLing of the Uairs... Well, I'll just practice a lot and take note of wether or not I Uair quick enough to not have to SHFFL, just SHFF. I'm still iffy on that. Thank you very much for the information though, guys. This is a good jump for me on my way to being a better Doc.

if its natural for you to shffl attacks then no one said you couldnt continue with doing that.
i think nj was simply letting you know you didnt have to try and cut the lag cuz there was none.

Top Bottom