• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UAH SMG Weeklies - Huntsville, AL

j00t

Smash Champion
*EDIT* The weekly smashfests at UAH have been CANCELLED. Read the bottom of the post for a little more detail. Sorry, everyone.

Good evening, everyone. Just dropping by to post a new opportunity for Huntsville smashers to get together, since there is hardly anything going around up here.

Every Wednesday Night, from 8 to 12 p.m., the Society of Multiplayer Gaming (From here on referred to as SMG) will be playing multiplayer games. The only two we play so far are Halo 2 and, you guessed it, Super Smash Brothers Melee. This event takes place at the North Campus Residence Hall (From now on it will be called the NCRH) in the University of Alabama in Huntsville (And this will be called UAH.) Directions to this place can be found here. Click on the North section of the map, and the NCRH will be the yellowish orange building northeast (northwest in the map's point of view) of the red-colored building, which is Morton Hall. If you need further assistance, PM me and I will give you my cell phone number.
Another thing, the door will be locked. Call me or Moogle and i'll let you in. The entrance is facing Morton Hall, you'll recognize it.

There is a one-time entrance fee of 5 dollars, so the club can pay for food and drinks for special occasions. I'm going to try to become the coordinator of SSBM tournaments around here so we can get some action in northern Alabama. We need some attention around here. By the way, there will be a cost to get in to one of these tournaments. Details on that once we can get one started.

Enough about the meeting place and time, here are some general rules that I would like to enforce IF we do get a tournament around here. These do not apply to the general weeklies, but it is encouraged that we follow these rules anyways.

-Items are absolutely not allowed. They take no skill whatsoever to use and if you think that it does take skill, then you're wrong. :p

-There are only five stages allowed in the tournaments that I hope will happen someday:

Dream Land
Fountain of Dreams (Singles Tournament Only)
Pokemon Stadium
Battlefield
Final Destination

If you have any questions about stages that aren't allowed, or would like to convince me that a stage needs to be allowed, then PM me and i'll talk with you.

-The tournament matches are timed stock matches, with 4 stocks and an 8 minute time limit. These are only the default rules - time limits and stocks may change depending on the situation. Most likely, though, it'll be 4 stocks and 8 minutes.

-Tournament matches are the best 2 out of 3. The final match is the best 3 out of 5.

-Controller hacking or any modifications that are different from the default controller is absolutely not allowed. This even applies to the weeklies. Nothing bad will happen to you if you hack your controller during a weekly, it's just that no one will like you. :(

-Stalling isn't allowed. I really don't see how you'll be able to stall on one of the stages listed above, but it still isn't allowed, including Peach's wall butt bomber and Jigglypuff's rising Pound.

And that concludes it. Just remember to bring a controller for yourself. And there is one point that I need to make so that everyone reads it:

Please bring a television and a Gamecube with a copy of SSBM ONLY IF YOU ARE ABLE TO. I do not want you to go through the trouble of unhooking the television and soforth. This is because it is a rule of SMG to bring your own television if you want to play. This isn't necessary if we have enough televisions, though, so just bring a television and a GC as a backup plan if we don't have enough t.v.'s already. Last week we only had 3 people, so Moogle brought a television and I provided the gamecube and SSBM.

EDIT: Tournaments will consist of cash prizes for first place and second place (Maybe third place, depending on the number of players). The amount of cash you win will be dependent on the number of players in the tournament.

Well, that wraps it up. Thanks for reading.

*EDIT* The SMG has been ><-0_+=)%> CANCELLED <%(-+_0-><. Do not come expecting to play, the whole SMG has been stripped of it's room and is now unable to function. Sorry.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Alright, glad to see you got the thread going. Now all you have to do is make some adjustments here and there and put up all the rules to everyone will be sure what the matches are ganna have in them other then just the levels.

j00t

Smash Champion
Made an edit already. Fountain of Dreams is banned for multiplayer matches now. I had known that the stage lags on multiplayer matches, but it had just slipped my mind. Just letting you all know.

And what do you mean by that, Tarnish? :O

j00t

Smash Champion
Ahh, I see now. It is 4 stock matches with 8 minute time limits. I'll be posting that now.

Sensai

Smash Master
Neat. Cool. Excellent.

Now we just need more then 4 people to come and we could get some tourney's going.

j00t

Smash Champion
If I get a room reserved and advertise it, i'm sure it will get more attention.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Yeah, It will get more attention just keep advertise when you get started, but it will be rough at first.But just go places that you know that people play smash and let them know and then they will tell other people and so on.Trust me. I thought no one would come to my tourneys, but I have 8 poeple to show up all the time. And another thing that will help, if you go to biweeklys in your area and let them know about your tourney that will help you too. But good luck too your tourney, I'm sure It will be huge.

j00t

Smash Champion
I "host" the only weekly in Huntsville. So i'll have no choice but to tell them anyways. :p

j00t

Smash Champion
If we get weekly tournaments going about, i'll probably be using the built-in tournament function in the game when we had a 8-person turnout. Otherwise we'd be using custom rules. Meh, now i'm just rambling.

j00t

Smash Champion
It starts at 8 o'clock P.M. Don't forget to bring your 5 dollars for entering the club. xD

j00t

Smash Champion
PM me for my cell phone number. When you arrive, call me and I will let you in to the building. Remember, this is a dorm for the UAH campus, so the door's going to be locked. Do you know where the building is?

Solitaire

Smash Cadet
Bah, sorry me and my buddy didn't make it this week, but next week is a definite yes. Just don't expect anything good out of us, we are going so we can hopefully get some MAJOR improvements.

My main is Falcon and I consider myself below average:urg: lol. My friend's main is Falco and he's wayy better than me. So yeah, basicially I'm a nub looking to become a not nub.

j00t

Smash Champion
Ahh, it's ok. We don't have a person who mains Falcon or Falco yet, so it'll be lots of fun. We had 6 people show up this time (Woot, it's growing) And if we have you two come next week it will be 8. And that's awesome.

j00t

Smash Champion
moogle said:
@Solitaire: I've mained Sheik or Falcon for 2+ years. I can show you how to beat JWT with Falcon.
Haha, ok. I can krunk your Falcon anytime. xD

j00t

Smash Champion
He can't do it, anyways! :p Well, iono, I didn't get a chance to play his Falcon this week.

j00t

Smash Champion
Would be nice. Only if we have more than 8 people though. We had six last time (woot)

moogle

Smash Ace
whoa sensai has three eyes!
Moogle im thinking about picking up Mslano from AL on tuesday (mainly to play with you and thief) is that cool cause i think he said you said it was ok.

i guess just let me know.
Yo KO. Yeah, Tuesday is cool. I work weekdays 9-5... so maybe come over around 6pm or later? We should be able to get some Huntsvillians, like Coach, Sensai, JWT, etc. Thief is in Tuscaloosa for school, though... and I think his spring break is next week. >_<

I guess this gathering would be at my house. I'll PM you my address, KO. Though, Mslano has been here a couple times... he might remember how to get here. :p

*an alternative* We have Huntsville weekly smashfests on Wednesday (which happens to be what this thread is for :)). If you want to wait a day, you could try to make it to this instead. It starts Wednesday at 8pm at UAH. Though if you want to maximize the enjoyment of your trip to Huntsville, you could still come to my house to smash around 6.

I guess we'll see what everyone thinks.

coach

Smash Apprentice
I got some couches if anyone wanted to stay over >< and a plethora of classes wednesday. This next week is going to be hell for me I have 3 tests leading into spring break. Then im driving to austin texas for the break.

Sephranos

Smash Rookie
lol is there one this week at UAH? If so then I'll probably leech a ride off sensai if he goes. Last week was fun. =p

This one time I played against Moogle's bowser. Then I went home and cut my wrists. :D

Solitaire

Smash Cadet
All I have to say is WOW. I knew I wasn't good but DANG! lol. I'll be returning though. I wonder if getting my azz kicked by you guys will help me get better.

Top Bottom