• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Two techniques for your arsenal of flashiness

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Well maybe most of you already now about this but anyway I'll tell you.

One of these techniques it's the shine to back air (in the air), yes with fox not with falco. It works against all characters that doesn't go too far away from the shine. To connect with the back aerial after the shine (in the air) you must keep in mind that the shine will send them away from you in a lower trajectory, good setups for this combo are the up throw, d-tilt and up-tilt, so to properly connect with bair you must jump and when you're next to them connect with your shine so that it sends him/her away to your back, so you can JC into bair, If not they will go away(forwards you) that's when it comes this other sick trick, JC then do nair and hold the controller straight forward so you can connect with the nair, keep in mind that fox should look that he's coming with an nair right out from the shine(so you can follow the lower trajectory of yor target). Uses? nothing just to look flashy.

PD: Sorry about my english :ohwell:

Inevitable

Smash Apprentice
Waveshining isn't flashy nor hard, neither is this trick.

I don't think there is a such thing as a "flashy fox" since everyone can already do anything/everything with fox.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
fox is one of the hardest (if not THE hardest) character to master, espeically for falco players like myself becuase it's difficult to maintain abilities with both characters since they're so different :)

anyways, yeah space animals have a lot of cool flashy stuff. thanks for bring it up oskurito. i've seen it before but i've never used it with my fox. and your english is good, by the way/

and for the record waveshining isn't extremely difficult but it is very cool to be able to do efficiently.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Keep in mind that being extremely technical won't win you battles. Just because you can infinite JC shine doesn't mean you're a good player.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that being extremely technical won't win you battles. Just because you can infinite JC shine doesn't mean you're a good player.
I know... I had a tourney last week and placed 3rd and im the most technical fox in my country. Who won? the smartest fox... He's too gay..

I'm trying to be more smart but that will require some practice but with humans.

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
I seriously doubt that Fox is the hardest character to master. That is, unless you are talking about mastering all his perfect frame-sensitive movements.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Many of you said waveshining isn't hard, well I know many fox mains which are pretty good, none of them have "mastered" waveshining, meaning they mess up, You all refered to it as easy, many pros have said getting waveshining down Consistently is hard. Not just one shine but many, like chaining them across fd.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
I seriously doubt that Fox is the hardest character to master. That is, unless you are talking about mastering all his perfect frame-sensitive movements.
Acually, I think the reason Fox is hardest to master is because of how comboable he is. To play Fox at a high level, you need to be smart and quick enough to both control your own speed and avoid getting stuck in those horrific combos most characters can pull on fastfallers.

He is generally accepted as hardest to master.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Many of you said waveshining isn't hard, well I know many fox mains which are pretty good, none of them have "mastered" waveshining, meaning they mess up, You all refered to it as easy, many pros have said getting waveshining down Consistently is hard. Not just one shine but many, like chaining them across fd.
Waveshining alone is pointless cause it does very little damage(5% at the start 4% after the second hit and 3-2% in consecutive repetitions) and it's just good to gimp an opponent. I personally find drill shine easier and better, it does more damage than the normal waveshine combo and it can be extended as well (across FD or any stage that is flat). LOL this is off topic, I didn't even say those were the flashiest moves, and JC shines look faster than waveshining

Inevitable

Smash Apprentice
lik i tink da flashest mov is teh down bz cuz lik ppl wont di nd dey lik stay nd get hurt while u go wooooshshhh, so ya itz iz awesum nd lik so hard 2 do yo, it wud tak me yearz jus 2 do dis yoo, nd itz lik so broken yooo, i meen how u gonna do anyth1n yoo???

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Waveshining isn't flashy nor hard, neither is this trick.

I don't think there is a such thing as a "flashy fox" since everyone can already do anything/everything with fox.
Is that true? I thought Fox was one of the hardest to master.
Exactly. Fox is one of the hardest to master buddy. If EVERYONE could do everything with him, then everyone would be using his infites non-stop at each opportunity. And I'd be at least 1/4 decent or at least know how to waveshine. xD

Inevitable

Smash Apprentice
I didn't mean literally anyone who picks up Fox on the first try can do everything, I mean the basics like waveshining and such, 98% of Fox's you'll fight in a tourney will know how to waveshine and everything.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
I'm not sure I can consider waveshing a.."basic" xD. But that part about majority tourny Fox's, I agree with.

Basics of Fox IMO are like L-Cancelling, knowing Fox's speed and power, and using them together to you don't fast fall to your death at 5% from a backthrow. :p

Inevitable

Smash Apprentice
I'm just trying to speak from the expierence I had from my tourney last week, my whole pool was Fox, and they all waveshined and spike shined me every stock against my Marth. :urg:

Edit: It was my first tourney, but fun overall, despite the beatings. :)

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Ah my bad then. :p
Only a few monthes till I can even go to a tourney. Reduced to handing out beatings in the neighborhood and calling it practice.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I don't undestand why are you discussing this in my thread, who cares about waveshine, anyone can do that **** LOL But not anyone can flatland infinite, or SHDL, or waveshine backwards that stuff is harder (most technical foxes do it tough) And just a few uses shine to bair with fox

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I shine to bair all the time. But not the same way you do. I use the shine to turn myself around in midair and space myself for a bair as well as doing a running shine and turning around while you are sliding then JC bair. And I can SHDL and RSHDL better then anyone I know..including pros >_>. Do I win again FLT? No. lol.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I shine to bair all the time. But not the same way you do. I use the shine to turn myself around in midair and space myself for a bair as well as doing a running shine and turning around while you are sliding then JC bair. And I can SHDL and RSHDL better then anyone I know..including pros >_>. Do I win again FLT? No. lol.
That's right Mindgames>tech skill. I'm working on RDSHL it's cool an useful against big targets or medium big targets. Nice tip with those other ways of doing shine to bair

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sure. It's great for edgeguarding as well. Run off stage and FF then shine and turnaround the jump out of the shine and bair or nair back onto the stage.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Sure. It's great for edgeguarding as well. Run off stage and FF then shine and turnaround the jump out of the shine and bair or nair back onto the stage.
I do that all the time. Hmm this is more cool: Shine Spike someone then turn around in the shine (very quickly) and do a Bair when they're trying to get back to the stage.

Inevitable

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't they DI the bair so that they would get more air time and it could give them a chance of making it back to the stage? A shine spike usually gets people off for good. But I guess you can add that to the arsenal of the "Flashyness."

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I do that all the time. Hmm this is more cool: Shine Spike someone then turn around in the shine (very quickly) and do a Bair when they're trying to get back to the stage.
This is pretty much impossible off the stage. At the angle they are sent and considering the lag from hitting them and the fact that you will be jumping and they will be going down makes it impossible to hit anyones but maybe like bowser or ganondorf >_>. This is mainly because of the 4 frames it takes turn around in the shine (I think its 4 frames >_>)

Oskurito

Smash Lord
This is pretty much impossible off the stage. At the angle they are sent and considering the lag from hitting them and the fact that you will be jumping and they will be going down makes it impossible to hit anyones but maybe like bowser or ganondorf >_>. This is mainly because of the 4 frames it takes turn around in the shine (I think its 4 frames >_>)
I probably do it in my crew combo video (I'm gonna record some vids soon..) so you can better understand that thing. It obviously wont happen against targets that go too far from the shine. Turning around in the shine takes little time (that will depend on how fast you are).

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
Acually, I think the reason Fox is hardest to master is because of how comboable he is. To play Fox at a high level, you need to be smart and quick enough to both control your own speed and avoid getting stuck in those horrific combos most characters can pull on fastfallers.

He is generally accepted as hardest to master.
That makes sense. I think I was confusing ease of use with ease of win a bit. This is of course assuming we are only talking about difficulty of mastering. I don't know though, Yoshi...

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Fox is very hard (or just hard) to master because is really hard to make him EFFECTIVE on battle (because most of his techniques require fast finger speed and good timing).

Driz

Smash Apprentice
I think the reason fox is hard to master isn't because of his diffuculty of his movesets but the fact that if you don't have good mindgames you can easily get owned. Fox is fast enough to deal out quick damage and has some nice finishing moves suck us his up attacks and has one of the best edg gaurds thanks to his shine buta s mentioned earlier if you get hit it can lead to some nasty combos plus fox isn' to difficult to edgegaurd against. To keep yourself from getting in those situations while still dishing out the damage is what makes fox a diffucult to master character.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Fox is the hardest to master. Period.

Even if you manage to master his tech skill, learning how to approach players and handle large amounts of pressure due to being juggled and edgeguarded is an even harder challenge.

To be good with any character, all you need is common sense and little luck.

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
Fox is very hard (or just hard) to master because is really hard to make him EFFECTIVE on battle (because most of his techniques require fast finger speed and good timing).
I don't think it's hard to make him effective. Fox has number of very effective techniques that don't require incredibly fast reaction or decision-making. They often do require tech skill, but a lot of it is primarily muscle memory.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I second that muscle memory comment. Upper level players don't consider it skill because it honestly isnt "hard" to waveshine down FD. When taking into consideration MASTERING fox, ive seen noone so far. There are certain speeds at which you can waveshine people. Some people have found weird ways.

Some people wave shine too slow to get to their opponant, and some waveshine too fast. To find that middle is not hard either, but to find the limit between the middle and too fast is where its at. Here's a graph

:::::::::::::Wave shine Speed::::::::::::::
<---------------------------------------------------------------------------->
...........^................^........................................X.^
--------Too slow--------combos can start--------------------Too fast

X= Maximum speed without going too fast.

Have I seen that, never.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The only fox I have seen that was near perfect techwise is FastLikeTree...in MLG Dallas he beat Isai first round..Played ken and took the first stock by flatland infiniting him into an upsmash..amoung other stuff >_>...

Oskurito

Smash Lord
The only fox I have seen that was near perfect techwise is FastLikeTree...in MLG Dallas he beat Isai first round..Played ken and took the first stock by flatland infiniting him into an upsmash..amoung other stuff >_>...
Yeah I've seen him, MoFo can do that too. And I can do that too, but no more than 10 repetitions, I usually mess up after that.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah I've seen him, MoFo can do that too. And I can do that too, but no more than 10 repetitions, I usually mess up after that.
Umm sorry but I don't really think you can. Mofo can't really either. Yeah you might be able to infinite in training mode or against your friends or something but try it in a tournament against experienced pros. It won't work. Trust me. Lunin and FLT are the only people I see do it in tournament play against pros. There are too many factors involved..DI..smash DI..your ability to do it...things like that. For the most part it is just safer to drill into a waveshine grab.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Yeah you might be able to infinite in training mode or against your friends or something but try it in a tournament against experienced pros.It won't work.
Exactly, even with my friends I sometimes mess up. But it's pretty cool tough, specially when lot of people are looking at you... and they see OH! WHOA! or something like that :)

alcheato

Smash Ace
IMO Falcon is the hardest to master. You have to know how to DI every attack and get the timing down very well to pull off Darkrain or G-reg type combos, and you have to learn to read your opponents very well to play an effect falcon.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
...You have to know how to DI every attack and get the timing down very well to pull off Darkrain or G-reg type combos, and you have to learn to read your opponents very well ....
In that case everyone will be hard to master. Fox combos can be more harder than falcon's.
Fox is the hardest to master period. Do I need to say that again? I hope not.

Top Bottom