• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Two Sides of the Same Aegis: The Pyra & Mythra Social thread

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Well I caved and bought Fighter Pass 2. I hadn't bought any DLC previously due to my disappointment with the buffer system and online but I've decided that playing offline modes with the new characters I like (Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra) will be worth it. Steve looks like a fun character too and I'm hopeful the final two will be interesting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This is one hella scrubby character. dumb Utilt juggles and Mythras tilts have absurd range and killing power. This "she is slow" downplay ain't real.
Why does her Dair cover below her, in front, ABOVE her and kill at like 80% onstage AND set up for kill followups/send you flying at a bad angle? Jeez.
I feel Mythra's lack of range compared to Pyra pretty hard, so I dunno. And why do you say her tilts have killing power? Wouldnt they only kill at like 250% or something?
It's probably the main thing that makes me switch to Pyra. I think it's pretty appropriate range for both :p

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, naturally, I prefer Pyra as a character, and I like the meaty hits, but Mythra is obviously useful too. Though, not really a fan of Mythra's up special(s). I also seem to do better with Pyra.

Last edited:

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Honestly shocked at just how strong Pyra is power wise. I was expecting a difference akin to Mario vs Dr Mario or Fox and Falco, but she's up there with Ganondorf.

Constantini

Smash Cadet
Shes Ganondorf with supplemental shiek speed. I mean....why?
All throughout the life cycle of this game I've held back on calling anyone broken despite the joker/min min fiasco but even from a first impression standpoint this is a bit much.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Eh, to compensate Pyra is sluggish and it's not like you can instantly swap and f smash for the win. Plus, neither of their recoveries are great. Mythra's is better, but still kinda meh. Granted, Chrom and Cloud have shown that's not necessarily a deal breaker, and Mythra's is probably better than Chrom's and at least limitless Cloud. Their disadvantage in my experience seems less than great, though you can potentially slip through by swapping. Landing may be something of an issue.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Pyra's quite similar to Ganondorf, but still noticeably weaker with slower attacks in general, while having no burst movement or command grab... and let's not forget "similar to Ganondorf" has similar echoes to "low tier". Dair's the only attack I can say is quite nutty since it kill combos early but it's not like she gets to land it for free with her slow attributes.

Last edited:

Constantini

Smash Cadet
That very reductionist of the character though. Its been a day but this "she's slow" rhetoric sounds to me like when people sweat to downplay Mario by saying he's got "no range" kinda deal. The hitbox viewer video for them is out there already, most of their moves just wrap them in hitboxes. I can't stress enough just how nutty they are, specially since they're interpolated.
Pyra can short hop Uair and reach last the top ledge on BF, remember, it can kill as low as 75%...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
:ultpyra: :ultmythra: are fun characters to play and the music they bought with them is great. It’s just as well there is only two more characters left until Ultimate DLC ends as there is enough space on the CSS to add 4 more characters after. But oh well.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That very reductionist of the character though. Its been a day but this "she's slow" rhetoric sounds to me like when people sweat to downplay Mario by saying he's got "no range" kinda deal. The hitbox viewer video for them is out there already, most of their moves just wrap them in hitboxes. I can't stress enough just how nutty they are, specially since they're interpolated.
Pyra can short hop Uair and reach last the top ledge on BF, remember, it can kill as low as 75%...
Exagerating XD.
I think how she's strong is appropriate for how slow she is. Her slowness is actually really not good..
The only attack I find is op for how good it is and early it can ko is up-b.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So out of the two, which do you guys prefer using?
Mythra, because her speed and combo potential are insane and her moves generally look stylish as all hell. I'm also biased because I think she's a much more interesting character than Pyra and her design is more appealing. Not to say that I don't enjoy Pyra, mind you, but I feel like she's a bit too slow with a lot of her moves.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Am I the only one who thinks Pyra is crazy mediocre and hardly worth switching to? Mythra seems very solo viable. But Pyra? That move speed and initial dash are a big yikes. She has some good moves like her gentleman and absurd d-air, but I hardly ever feel a need to switch to her for even for her kill power when you can just ledge trap with lightning buster and Mythra's fast aerials or edge guard with Ray of Punishment and F-air. Mythra f-smash seems to get the job done too for killing because it's crazy fast and still decent at killing. Maybe I'm not seeing it yet but Pyra feels pointless in comparison to Mythra in 99% of situations, unless the character is a super heavy or something, which i actually find her pretty well at dealing with.

Last edited:

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
I know I am late but congrats to Xenoblade fans you guys got your gals. I still haven't played 2 yet but I'll get to it sometime.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Am I the only one who thinks Pyra is crazy mediocre and hardly worth switching to? Mythra seems very solo viable. But Pyra? That move speed and initial dash are a big yikes. She has some good moves like her gentleman and absurd d-air, but I hardly ever feel a need to switch to her for even for her kill power when you can just ledge trap with lightning buster and Mythra's fast aerials or edge guard with Ray of Punishment and F-air. Mythra f-smash seems to get the job done too for killing because it's crazy fast and still decent at killing. Maybe I'm not seeing it yet but Pyra feels pointless in comparison to Mythra in 99% of situations, unless the character is a super heavy or something, which i actually find her pretty well at dealing with.
Maybe you just got lucky with kos for Mythra up to now. It's not really easy to be consistent with it. But then again because Pyra's slow it's not consistent there too. Except for up-b XD

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Maybe you just got lucky with kos for Mythra up to now. It's not really easy to be consistent with it. But then again because Pyra's slow it's not consistent there too. Except for up-b XD
Yeah that's what I mean though. Pyra isn't consistent either because she's incredibly slow. She's as slow as Ganondorf. I get she's meant for purely being used in advantage state but she can't chase at all. Her kill power is shockingly weak outside of smashes as well. 120 at ledge from tilts and gentleman and 140 from like up tilt and up air isn't particularly powerful at all for moves that are so laggy. I know I said down air was great, but it's mostly for it's hitbox alone. It's meteor effect is surprising weak despite the devastating sound it makes when it hits. Making her as slow as Ganondorf when she isn't even as powerful as Ike just seemed very unnecessary.

Edit: In fact I'm fairly certain Ganondorf is actually faster if you take his initial dash into account.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah that's what I mean though. Pyra isn't consistent either because she's incredibly slow. She's as slow as Ganondorf. I get she's meant for purely being used in advantage state but she can't chase at all. Her kill power is shockingly weak outside of smashes as well. 120 at ledge from tilts and gentleman and 140 from like up tilt and up air isn't particularly powerful at all for moves that are so laggy. I know I said down air was great, but it's mostly for it's hitbox alone. It's meteor effect is surprising weak despite the devastating sound it makes when it hits. Making her as slow as Ganondorf when she isn't even as powerful as Ike just seemed very unnecessary.
The thing about Pyra though is that you can ko someone at such an early %, and up-b out of shield is consistent enough, so I feel that she's good to switch to unless you think youll then be a sitting duck too much when they're letting you chase.

You're wrong about weak outside of smash XD. Her up tilt, back air, and up air all ko very early. Up-B is still the best tho. Besides f-smash, but that's more predictable. Down air to up-b is also a combo.

Edit: Saying 'ko very early' isn't quite right. Back air is the best out of those three for early, but they're all very good for kos still ;p More range than ganondorf, but I do feel ganon is a bit faster.

Last edited:

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
The thing about Pyra though is that you can ko someone at such an early %, and up-b out of shield is consistent enough, so I feel that she's good to switch to unless you think youll then be a sitting duck too much when they're letting you chase.

You're wrong about weak outside of smash XD. Her up tilt, back air, and up air all ko very early. Up-B is still the best tho. Besides f-smash, but that's more predictable. Down air to up-b is also a combo.
I'm not saying she can't kill or anything. And d-air to up b is a combo I actually use often when I do switch to Pyra. But she isn't that great at killing as it was originally implied. Up tilt can't kill until about 140-150 from ground level if the enemy di's properly. Same with back air even at ledge. Up air can't even kill Ike with proper di on the top platform at 140. Again, these aren't necessarily bad numbers. Her kill power off if stray hits is just shockingly low for somebody with bottom 3 run speed and a terrible dash to match.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
i like them both, but i find I do better with Pyra. I struggle to KO with Mythra, but she is good at racking up damage

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not saying she can't kill or anything. And d-air to up b is a combo I actually use often when I do switch to Pyra. But she isn't that great at killing as it was originally implied. Up tilt can't kill until about 140-150 if the enemy di's properly. Same with back air even at ledge. Up air can't even kill Ike with proper di on the top platform at 140. Again, these aren't necessarily bad numbers. Her kill power off if stray hits is just shockingly low for somebody with bottom 3 run speed and a terrible dash to match.
If you're playing against heavies maybe. Ive seen lots of pyra's moves kills before or around 100. If youre playing that heavy, then mythra's f-smash would only ko at like 170%+, it's really not a good ko move. Mythra's best seems to be up-smash, I've seen it kill around 120, and plus it can be used out of shield. It's possible to use Mythra on her own and be fine, but Pyra is a ko powerhouse. Once you reach around 100% almost anything can start killing, and before that up-b can kill super early.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
So out of the two, which do you guys prefer using?
I mentioned this before that I would use them both equally but then I suddenly find myself using Mythra more than Pyra mainly because of her speed. I’m not used to playing as characters who feel slow and sluggish, hence why I barely switch to Pyra unless it’s to deliver the killing blow. Plus I agree that Mythra is a much more interesting character than Pyra but I still like them both.

Arthur97

Smash Master
As far as gameplay, like I said, I seem to do better with Pyra. Sadly though, perception of her seems to be going pretty predictably, at least on the competetive side.

As for personality, Pyra's story is arguably sadder than Mythra's if you think about it. She ended up bearing the burden for something she didn't do. The purpose she was given after her creation is rather morbid, and it paints her as rather tragic. If only she had been given more time to delve into stuff like that.

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
If you're playing against heavies maybe. Ive seen lots of pyra's moves kills before or around 100. If youre playing that heavy, then mythra's f-smash would only ko at like 170%+, it's really not a good ko move. Mythra's best seems to be up-smash, I've seen it kill around 120, and plus it can be used out of shield. It's possible to use Mythra on her own and be fine, but Pyra is a ko powerhouse. Once you reach around 100% almost anything can start killing, and before that up-b can kill super early.
I can't see tilts and aerials killing an opponent before at least 120% unless you got some nutso rage or they can't DI. Up tilt doesn't even kill Mario on BF platform until about 130. Again, not a bad number. It's actually great. I just don't understand what it is about these admittedly solid kill percents that mean she has to be in the same speed tier as Ganondorf and Incineroar who kill earlier and can actually go for a DJ Dair below the stage and not die for it, with their spikes even killing ABSURDLY earlier. I don't want her killing as early as they do though because Pyra still has Mythra. I just don't think there's anything about the character constitutes being one of the absolute least mobile characters in the game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think the Classic mode for these two is actually more clever than it looks at first glance: the first opponents are the ones who started the power/speed team template (Zelda & Sheik), almost all of the series used were part of Pyra and Mythra's trailer, and Ryu & Ken also were used as a dichtomy in the presentation. Beyond that I found it nice that the items, when present, were themed after the series as well, in addition to the Street Fighter battle being a stamina one. It was like Pyra & Mythra were actually travelling to these different worlds.

I can't see tilts and aerials killing an opponent before at least 120% unless you got some nutso rage or they can't DI. Up tilt doesn't even kill Mario on BF platform until about 130. Again, not a bad number. It's actually great. I just don't understand what it is about these admittedly solid kill percents that mean she has to be in the same speed tier as Ganondorf and Incineroar who kill earlier and can actually go for a DJ Dair below the stage and not die for it, with their spikes even killing ABSURDLY earlier. I don't want her killing as early as they do though because Pyra still has Mythra. I just don't think there's anything about the character constitutes being one of the absolute least mobile characters in the game.
When you can switch to being fast whenever you darn well please, would it even really matter if Pyra was even slower than Ganondorf? Chasing people is not what Pyra is meant to do anyway. You switch to her when you want people to come to you, or at least create an opening. Because even with all her speed and fast moves, if the opponent is dead-set on defense, it can be surprisingly hard for Mythra to dislodge them.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
She does have disjoints, that counts for quite a bit ;)
But I do think her recovery should be better. Right now someone pretty much should always switch to mythra to recover. I guess that's.. ok. Just could be better.

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I think the Classic mode for these two is actually more clever than it looks at first glance: the first opponents are the ones who started the power/speed team template (Zelda & Sheik), almost all of the series used were part of Pyra and Mythra's trailer, and Ryu & Ken also were used as a dichtomy in the presentation. Beyond that I found it nice that the items, when present, were themed after the series as well, in addition to the Street Fighter battle being a stamina one. It was like Pyra & Mythra were actually travelling to these different worlds.

When you can switch to being fast whenever you darn well please, would it even really matter if Pyra was even slower than Ganondorf? Chasing people is not what Pyra is meant to do anyway. You switch to her when you want people to come to you, or at least create an opening. Because even with all her speed and fast moves, if the opponent is dead-set on defense, it can be surprisingly hard for Mythra to dislodge them.
I'm talking about chasing in advantage state, which Pyra definitely wants to do if they're at death percent. Pyra has a bottom 5 initial dash, bottom 3 run speed, and only average air speed. It also takes a second to change between the two which makes it inconsistent. This essentially relegates her to ledge trapping duty for consistently killing unless the character she's against has an atrocious air speed or big frame like Ganondorf.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
She does have disjoints, that counts for quite a bit ;)
But I do think her recovery should be better. Right now someone pretty much should always switch to mythra to recover. I guess that's.. ok. Just could be better.
While the air speed alone probably puts Mythra ahead in recovering overall, she isn't always the clear-cut better choice here. Throwing projectiles at Mythra can stop Photon Edge fairly easily, and her up special actually doesn't go nearly as high as Pyra's when used in the air. A team effort may actually be the best approach here.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
While the air speed alone probably puts Mythra ahead in recovering overall, she isn't always the clear-cut better choice here. Throwing projectiles at Mythra can stop Photon Edge fairly easily, and her up special actually doesn't go nearly as high as Pyra's when used in the air. A team effort may actually be the best approach here.
Mythra's little hop from the projectile gives her an extra boost, but anyway the air speed is enough to make her good overall, you have way more options too is the thing. When I'm Pyra offstage I don't feel safe XD

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mythra's little hop from the projectile gives her an extra boost, but anyway the air speed is enough to make her good overall, you have way more options too is the thing. When I'm Pyra offstage I don't feel safe XD
If Mythra is at the point where she needs to actually fire the Ray to reach the edge, almost everybody standing there could smack her hard for it due to the delay in snapping.

It's largely just a question of vertical vs. horizontal: Mythra is better at the latter, Pyra at the former. Both in going up and in crashing down for a quick ledge snap.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If Mythra is at the point where she needs to actually fire the Ray to reach the edge, almost everybody standing there could smack her hard for it due to the delay in snapping.

It's largely just a question of vertical vs. horizontal: Mythra is better at the latter, Pyra at the former. Both in going up and in crashing down for a quick ledge snap.
If you go under the stage enough it's fine enough, but yeah Pyra's is faster so is a little better-ish. But overall with the air speed it's not enough to make her good to recover, imo. I'll definitely try to compare a bit more since you brought it up, but right now I much rather always switch to mythra if I want to survive :p

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Mew2king has released his guide pyra herself. Spoilers, he thinks they may be the best characters in the game

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My opinion of how good they are has actually gone down a bit. I think they're probably high high-tier, or low top tier at best. Definitely not the best in the game XD But they are good :)

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I have a hard time believing they're the best characters in the game when a similar in Joker exists without weaknesses like slow movement speed in Arsene or a really bad recovery on both forms.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I have a hard time believing they're the best characters in the game when a similar in Joker exists without weaknesses like slow movement speed in Arsene or a really bad recovery on both forms.
A few pro players can still have exaggerated impressions of characters. I've seen a few raving about how super good they are, but then you see some who feel they're just ok. Dabuz doesn't think they're part of the best or anything. People still don't know everything, especially on the second day of them lol. xD

Arthur97

Smash Master
As for their weaknesses, remember how many doubted Min Min to start? They could be great, they could be okay.

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
As for their weaknesses, remember how many doubted Min Min to start? They could be great, they could be okay.
It seemed people caught on pretty quickly that Min Min was insane when she could effortlessly two frame the whole cast with a kill move.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It seemed people caught on pretty quickly that Min Min was insane when she could effortlessly two frame the whole cast with a kill move.
Really? Seemed to take Japan to get people to change their tunes. Overall, you seem kinda pessimistic. I am about Pyra, but that's at least partly I like her and don't want her to be competitively irrelevant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom