• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twilight of Smash 3 - Ottawa, Canada - May 12, 2007

Fogel

Smash Lord
TWILIGHT OF SMASH - BREAKING NEWS!

Our agents report that nefarious hacker and evil super-genius "nox" has developed an army of large, dangerous, shiny, professional-smash-playing robots, known only under the code-name "Bye". At most tournaments, "Bye"s have performed terribly, always tying for last place, and were never considered a serious SSBM threat. Until now, no one has bothered saying anything about these robots as they have never accomplished anything worth mentioning.

However, nox has used his genius to upgrade the "Bye" model to be a legitimate tournament threat. Recent results from the tournament known as "Smash Till You Drop 2" have shown that 'Bye" is beginning to be a serious contender:

Super Smash Brothers Melee_1
2007-02-24
64-man bracket

1 vwins
2 chesterr01
3 pkmvodka
4 bam
5 Bye
5 lock
7 testrider
7 matt
9 gpwn
9 rimi
9 Bye
9 Bye

Look at the incredible growth rate! 3 "Byes" in the top 10, and one even got 5th place! Other members of the top 10 were asked to comment on "Bye" in hopes of finding a way to stop this menace, but none could remember playing against one. Is it possible that they are invisible? Do they just hack the brackets? Or, are they so powerful as to be able to erase memories, stopping anyone from determining their weakness?

Regardless, Twilight of Smash staff believe that it may be possible for "Bye" to win second, or even first place in future tournaments! Can anyone stop this madness? Only YOU can stop "Bye" from taking first! Please stop them from winning at Twilight of Smash 3!

==================================================

Date: Saturday, May 12, 2007

15 Aylmer Avenue
Ottawa, ON

The tournament itself will be held in the church basement (the same one as at ToS1, for those of you who remember it).

To get inside to where the tourney is held, use the BACK entrance (the one in the parking lot). We only have a key for the back door, as other people will be using the upper part of the church. If you go to the front door, either no one will answer the door, or at best they won't know what 'Smash Brothers' tournament you're talking about. Make sure you use the correct door!

Another issue is that the doors MAY lock automatically. The room where the tournament will be is far away from the door, so if you want to go out and get food etc. make sure the door will open first.

Directions:

Driving:

Here's the Google maps link:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=e...&ll=45.392694,-75.68254&spn=0.013501,0.043259

I suggest taking Bronson until you reach Sunnyside, turn onto Sunnyside, then go up one of the sidestreets to Aylmer Ave. I do not recommend taking Bank Street, as you will have to deal with a lot more traffic and traffic lights.

Parking: We can use the church parking lot, but do not park in the organist's parking spot as s/he will be there on Saturday at some point. Don't park in any other reserved spaces, either.

Bus: I haven't personally taken the bus there, but here's what I've got by checking the OC Transpo travel planner:

From the south:
Take the 1 Ottawa-Rockcliffe and get off at the Bank + Aylmer stop. You can get on the 1 from Billings Bridge or South Keys.

From the north:

Take the 7 Carleton and get off at the Bank + Aylmer stop. You can get the 7 from Rideau or St. Laurent.

If these directions are wrong it's octranspo.com's fault :) Someone who lives in the Glebe area might be able to give better directions than what I've got here.

Time: 12:30-9pm, come at 12:00 if you are bringing TVs/Cubes/power cables. Do NOT come before 12:00, the doors will be locked! If I'm able to open the room any earlier than noon, I'll post to let everyone know.

Equipment: To ensure the tournament finishes on time, please bring TVs, Gamecubes, and power cabling such as extension cords and power bars. The more setups we have, the faster things will go. Please post if you can bring any of these things.

Tournament rules (the ruleset so good, STYD, EC vs. WC, and SoS just copy+pastes it):

General:

- Bring your own controller, or ensure someone is bringing one for you. Tournament staff are not resposible for providing extra controllers.
- Good behaviour is expected; we don't want to get kicked out of the church. In particular, do not damage any church or tournament participant's belongings, and do not make a lot of noise (there will be people other than us using the church during tournament hours, we don't want to get reported). If tournament staff deems that you are causing trouble in this fashion, you will be kicked out of the tournament without refund.
- Controllers: see MLG rules (no mods aside from cosmetic changes, no programmed buttons)
- No pausing during a match unless there is a good reason. If you pause repeatedly for no good reason, you may forfeit that match at the discretion of tournament staff.
- No infinite stall/freeze glitches (ie: Peach's Wallbombing, Jigglypuff's rising pound, Ice Climber freeze glitch, etc). If you use these in a match, you forfeit that match. If one of these tactics is used on you for the purpose of stalling the

match, pause the game and call for tournament staff.
- Once a match has been announced, it must be started within 5 minutes. If one or more of the participants does not show up within the 5 minutes, they forfeit the match. This applies to both singles and doubles.
- Prizes: Singles and Doubles: 65/25/10 split for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
The room costs money to rent, so the total pot amount will be entry fees minus the room rental cost ($115).

Match rules:

- All matches are 4 stock, 8 minute time limit
- Doubles-specific: Team attack ON, life stealing allowed
- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing already won on that stage
- Stage Knock-out: Each player (or team, in teams) may choose to eliminate one of the legal stages (neutral OR counterpick) to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
- Double blind pick may be called at any time (the only time this is useful is, before players choose their first initial character, before the first game starts).
- Neutral stages: Fountain of Dreams (BANNED in teams), Dream Land 64, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Final Destination, Pokemon Stadium
- Counterpick stages: Any neutral stage, plus Rainbow Cruise, Green Greens, Corneria, Brinstar, Mute City, Poke Floats, Donkey Kong 64
- Any other stage is BANNED in both singles and doubles

1v1:
- $15 entry (please bring change, I'm not made of $5 bills you know...)
- Format: Pools, top 16 advance to a double elimination bracket. Matches are best 2/3, except for Winners', Losers', and Grand finals, which will be best 3/5.

2v2:
- $20 entry per team ($10/person)
- Format: Double Elimination. Matches are best 2/3, except for Winners' and Losers' bracket finals, which will be best 3/5.

Please post or MSN/e-mail me (fogelfogelfogel at hotmail period com) to register for an event.

Equipment:

TVs:

1) Fogel
2) Fogel
3) ThatGuy
4) Dice/Locke)
5) Dice/Locke)
6) Dice/Locke)
7) Jazriel
8) Desgros
9) tect

Cubes:

1) Fogel
2) ThatGuy
3) Vwins
4) Jazriel
5) chesterr01
6) Desgros
7) Shuriken
8) Jarc
9) tect

Power cables/Extension cords:

Church - 3 Extension cords
Fogel - 2-3 Extension cords, 1-2 power bars
ThatGuy - 4 power bars
Vwins - 1 power bar
tect - 1 power bar

Registered Smashers:

Singles (40 currently registered):

1. Fogel
2. Phen
3. Lanowen
4. Candy Lover Jagg
5. ThatGuy
6. vexed69
7. GanonPWN!
8. Dice
9. Locke)
10. pkmvodka
11. Vwins
12. BigRick
13. Jazriel
14. Shuriken
15. chesterr01
16. tect
17. TestRider
18. Cbone
19. Derek
20. Phrozn
21. Ambrose
22. Craig
23. Desgros
24. chlor0form
25. Maelstrom
26. Damax
27. Matt
28. JayWinner
29. WarranThad
30. Divinokage
31. Jumbley
32. Jarc
33. Jih
34. Navo
35. Bam
36. TyrantWolf
37. nox
38. Apoc
39. Wak
40. Demonic_Angel

Doubles (8 teams registered):

1. We play WoW and still own you (GanonPWN! + pkmvodka)
2. Team Smallville (Vwins + Bam)
3. TEAM OSTRICH (tect + Locke)
4. Rather be Playing 3S as at Least That Way we can Parry (WarranThad + Matt)
5. Team Too Sexy For My Shirt (Divinokage + Damax)
6. team smoke weed, get drunk and fun! (Jarc + Jih)
7. Emos /wrists (Fogel + Lanowen)
8. Show me your moves! (Cbone + Derek)
9. Saikyou Mara Futarigumi (chesterr01 + Rimi)

Regional Crews rosters:

Ontario (Captain: ?)

Quebec (Captain: ?)

ToS3 events:

Singles will be happening, as always, and will be pools to a top 16 double elimination tourney again.
Regional crews WILL happen at ToS3, I am scheduling time for it.
The third event will be doubles.

Twilight of Smash 3 - Preliminary event schedule

12:00 - 12:45 Setup/Friendlies/Doubles and Singles registration
12:45 - 3:15 Doubles
3:15 - 3:30 Break/Friendlies/Last-minute Singles registration
3:30 - 5:45 Singles Pools
5:45 - 6:40 Break/Friendlies/Supper
6:30 - 7:45 Regional Crews
7:45 - 9:00 Singles Top 16 Tournament

NOTE: The schedule may change depending on how many setups we have, and how quickly events finish. Do your best to finish tournament matches quickly.

Twilight of Smash 3 - Singles Pools

**THESE ARE NOT FINAL**, if on the day of the tournament there are a bunch of people missing, I may have to redistribute people between the pools. However, if you're on the PR, or listed in a crew in my previous post, you probably won't be moving (unless a bunch of PR people don't show up for whatever reason).

To pre-empt people who are going to complain about pool balance, here's how things shake down:

- People who are on the PR are split evenly between the pools (4 in pool 1, 3 in the rest)
- People in a crew are divided evenly
- People are divided evenly by region:

Pool 1: 4 mtl 4 ott 2 gta
Pool 2: 4 mtl 5 ott 1 gta
Pool 3: 5 mtl 4 ott 1 gta
Pool 4: 4 mtl 4 ott 1 gta

So no pool johns, please.

Mudkips pool (Pool 1)
(just for you Jarc)
Captain(s):

Cbone
chesterr01
Divinokage
Jagg
Jarc
Cemo (Phen)
Lanowen
tect
Dice
Desgros

WoW players pool (Pool 2)
Captain(s): Jih

Ambrose
GanonPWN!
Jazriel
Jumbley
Navo
pkmvodka
WarranThad
Apoc
Jih
Phrozn

Hackers pool (Pool 3)
Captain(s):

Bam
Craig
Maelstrom
Rimi
Shuriken
ThatGuy
nox
TestRider
JayWinner
chlor0form

C-STIK Pool (Pool 4)
Captain(s): Fogel, Damax, Vwins

BigRick
Derek
Locke)
Vwins
vexed69
Matt
Fogel
Damax
TyrantWolf

IMPORTANT: Make sure you read this part if you skimmed my post!

- MAKE SURE TO READ THE GENERAL TOURNAMENT RULES
- Use the back entrance to get in (the one in the parking lot), NOT the front door!
- Bring TVs, Gamecubes, and power bars/extensions!

Rimi

Smash Apprentice
WTF I GOT TIED FOR 9TH!!?! TIED WITH ZAC AND NUBLOCKE AND MATT BEAT ME!?!! I HATE YOU NOX IM GONNA PEE IN YOUR CEREAL!

Ya so lets just hope im not in Russia when this happends ya..yuihhz?

Fogel

Smash Lord
oh right. Are you going to ban the IC infinite?

( ) Yes
( ) No
( ) *****
The infinite grab, aka Wobbles is not banned. HOWEVER, you can not use it for stalling purposes (as per the rules, no methods of stalling the match are allowed). If you're up a stock and wobbles someone just to try and run out the clock, that's not allowed at this tournament. You need to finish them off when you are pretty sure they'll die. For example, if you wobbles someone past, say, 200% they have a good case that you're stalling, and you'll forfeit that match. Any character in the game will die from at least one of the ICs d/f/usmash at percents that high, and it can be reasonably assumed that an ICs player who knows how to desync is going to know this.

The rule of thumb with the infinite grab is: finish them off when you're reasonably sure they'll die, don't wobbles just to waste time or piss people off.

GanonPWN!

Smash Journeyman
best be on your guard for vexed69, hes the xXxNoobSlayerxXx.

I'll show up for this one too.. BEWAREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Dice

Smash Lord
omg is karl going to come?

And for sure I'm coming, school will do finished :D:D

And put down us kanata guys for 3 tv's for now, most possibly more.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I've updated the first post with everyone's registrations/what equipment they're bringing.

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of comments on regional crews, should I scrap it and just do low tier instead?

I'm afraid not.

Team "We play WoW and still own you" is going to be unleashed.
I set that as your team name for now :p

cemo

white walker
There would probably be more posts if it wasn't for the transcanada sexathon thread.
i'm all up for ontario getting their *** kicked, though.[/trashtalk]

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Actually, I MIGHT come to this, lol. I would like to meet the bigger names of East Coast Canada. The thing about that weekend is that I think one of my closest friends have a party then. Cannot miss it if it's on that weekend lol. So I'm 50/50 at this point.

Shuriken

Smash Apprentice
WTF vexed69? I'll believe it when I see it. Theres no way Karl would walk that far.
count me in for singles for now, I'll talk to my people about doubles.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I HATE YOU NOX IM GONNA PEE IN YOUR CEREAL!

Ya so lets just hope im not in Russia when this happends ya..yuihhz?
He might like it. =/

lol, USSR! *cues Zangief music*
The infinite grab, aka Wobbles is not banned. HOWEVER, you can not use it for stalling purposes (as per the rules, no methods of stalling the match are allowed).
[...]
You need to finish them off when you are pretty sure they'll die. For example, if you wobbles someone past, say, 200% they have a good case that you're stalling, and you'll forfeit that match. Any character in the game will die from at least one of the ICs d/f/usmash at percents that high, and it can be reasonably assumed that an ICs player who knows how to desync is going to know this.
If you play against me, I suggest you don't stop before you reach 350%, or else I might DI and take off 2 or 3 of your stocks.
Count me in for singles and doubles with GPWN! :) .
Whoa, kowaii da yo~!
I'm kind of surprised at the lack of comments on regional crews, should I scrap it and just do low tier instead?
Hmm, I don't know how many people from Quebec are going to come to this. Can we even gather the top 10 from Quebec? What about Toronto, are they coming to this? Who's top 10 from QC... bam, vwins, me, test, pkm, jih, jarc... I'm too tired to think.
I'll see if I can make it. That's my pre-birthday weekend, after all.
I want to be housed at the same place than Jarc and tect. Preferrably at Zac's, I wanna be able to get glazed.
WTF vexed69? I'll believe it when I see it. Theres no way Karl would walk that far.
QFT.

Sign me up for singles. I'll sign up for doubles when Test registers for singles. I'll bring one GC.

Btw, expect a blast from the past, straight outta 2004.

Dice

Smash Lord
team darkness is pkm as bowser and testrider as mewtwo I believe, not perfectly sure though

Top Bottom