• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TWEWY Mafia | scumbags victorious

Swiss

Smash Lord
@Swiss: Didn't I teach you to vote first when there's a noob in LYLO?
Lawlz

Sucks I only realised Swiss was mafia and not SK after I died, should have realised when he actually made Cello claim, even though Swiss knew he was FBI agent before that - he wanted the SK to find him out.

Well played Swiss.
Not entirely true, but I'll take the kudos.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
You are asking for reasoning as to why I called you dumb town and you said "Note no reasoning."

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Gah I'm so frustered at myself, just because I don't want to see Swiss take away another MVP. >.<

Gonna have to give credit through where credit is due

vote Swiss

for MVP

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
If Swiss does not get MVP who else gets it lmao?

He played great and deserves the win.

Yes you can say "I called him scum D1!" or "I don't see how his scummy butt didn't die! He was so obvious." but in reality it's towns fault for letting themselves get persuaded by Swiss and town's actions in LYLO and MYLO that let Swiss just take the win.

Saying otherwise is a lie. Plus he was the only one to survive from D1 to make it for a mafia win.

Vote: Swiss

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Will post when I get home (on my iPod) but I assume the game is over.

I don't think there will be an MVP though. Props to Swiss for winning in like an impossible slot, but town basically random lynched each day and the win was more so the result of bad town play. It really could of gone either way (to either scum or town) but again I'll think it over and give a summary.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Game Over!

Afro Horse
, Koki Kariya,
Town Vanilla has been erased!

-Joey-, Uzuki Yahiro, Town Vanilla has been endgamed!

Swiss, Neku Sakuraba, Mafia Goon and Ryker, Shiki Misaki, Mafia Goon win!

Mod notes coming up!

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Role Pms - Might have some errors or be outdated somewhat

Role Pm's

---

Dear Swiss, Welcome to The World Ends With You Mafia!

You are Neku Sakuraba, Mafia Goon.

A quiet, misunderstood teenager who just wants to be left alone. Upon waking inside the Reapers game, you find have no recollection of anything besides your own name. All your life you've been selfish and shunned away from others. However, to win this game, you'll have to rely on the help of a friend. Together, you and Shiki must avoid erasure and make it back to the real world!

All the world needs is me. I've got my values...so you can keep yours, alright?

Mafia Partner:
Your Mafia partner is Shiki (Sho-Minamimoto), Mafia Goon. You may communicate with them at any time during the game.

Mafia Quicktopic: http://www.quicktopic.com/45/H/CT86462z5FAP

Mafia Nightkill: You and your partner have no killing abilities.

Safeclaim:
You know that Megumi Kitanjii is not in the game and are the only player with this knowledge.

Win Condition: You win when the Mafia have an undeniable majority and nothing can be done to prevent this.

---

Dear Ryker, Welcome to The World Ends With You Mafia!

You are Shiki Misaki, Mafia Goon.

At a first glance, people will see you as a cute, bubbly teenager. What they don't realise is that this is not you at all! You'll do everything you can to get back to the real world and see Eri again, but losing in this game will cost you more than friendship… You are Neku's partner and it is your job to keep him in line, if you are to have any chance of escaping from the Underground!

There was nothing special about me at all. I hated myself. I wanted to change, to be somebody else. To be Eri.

Mafia Partner: Your Mafia partner is Neku (Swiss), Mafia Goon. You may communicate with them at any time during the game.

Mafia Quicktopic: http://www.quicktopic.com/45/H/CT86462z5FAP

Mafia Nightkill: You and your partner have no killing abilities.

Safeclaim:
You know that 777 is not in the game and are the only player with this knowledge.

Win Condition: You win when the Mafia have an undeniable majority and nothing can be done to prevent this.

---

Dear Delvro, Welcome to The World Ends With You Mafia!

You are Sho Miniamoto, Independant Serial Killer.

As the youngest Game Master in the Reaper's Game, your cruelty is second only to your intelligence. More a mathematician than a brawler, you excel in all areas of leadership except one -- cooperation with others. Given your strange mathematical obsession, you will often yell out odd phrases such as "Zetta Slow!" and "SOH CAH TOA!" The time has come for you to stand up and take control of the reapers game for yourself, and no factoring hectopascals are going to stand in your way!

Any tree can drop an apple. I'll drop the freaking moon!

Ability: Each night you may send me the command Factorise: XXX. This player will be killed during the night.

Safeclaim:
You know that Mitsuki Konishi is not in the game and are the only player with this knowledge.

Win Condition: You win once every other player is dead, or if nothing can be done to prevent this.

---

Dear Afro Horse, Welcome to The World Ends With You Mafia!

You are Koki Kariya, Town Vanilla.

Special Ability: None

Win Condition: You win once all threats to the town have been eliminated.

---

Dear -Joey-, Welcome to The World Ends With You Mafia!

You are Uzuki Yashiro, Town Vanilla.

---

Dear X1-12, Welcome to The World Ends With You Mafia!

You are Yodai Higashizawa, Town Vanilla.

---

Dear Zen, Welcome to The World Ends With You Mafia!

You are Tenho, Town Vanilla.

---

Dear Cello_Marl, Welcome to The World Ends With You Mafia!

You are Joshua, Town FBI Agent.

Special Ability: Each night you may send me the command Investigate: XXX. You will be told if this player is a 'Serial Killer' or 'Not a Serial Killer'

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Thoughts On The Set-Up

I was actually surprised by how much maths/numbers were run.

I really thought that Lynching on Day 1 would be the most obvious pro-town option. It's a small game with a high ratio of hitting scum, and it can basically be won or lost for town based on D1/N1 results.

A 3 in 8 Chance of hitting scum if Town lynched at random is one of the highest chances of hitting scum I've ever seen. The risk of hitting town is outweighed (imo at least) by the massive benefit of lynching scum or the SK on Day 1.

If the SK is lynched day 1, there are no night kills. Ever. This pulls the game down to a 2 vs 7 vanilla with no Night kills. Incredibly pro town.

If a mafia member is lynched day 1, it is guaranteed that Town will at worst make it to Day 3 with 2 Town 1 Mafia 1 SK. Factor in the possibility that the FBI agent could be a clear in this scenario, as well as potentially clearing other players as not SK, it is hard to see SK not being caught if the FBI agent can survive (i.e. FB + 2 clears means SK is confirmed scum). Ofc the two clear might be killed by the SK, but it is still a bad scenario for them.

Funny enough, the best case scenarios for ALL factions come from a lynch on Day 1 (either townie mislynch or scum lynch).

A no lynch is still awesome for a SK, considering the lowish risk of being copped. It's great for scum too (considering the odds that they won't get hit, and that the SK doesn't WANT to hit mafia on N1). It seems obvious imo that it is most likely going to be bad for town.

As a townie, if you even have just a SINGLE strong town read on D1, it makes so much sense to bank on that town read and push a lynch on someone else, effectively giving you a 50% chance of hitting scum (3 out of 6 as you aren't including yourself).

If you no lynch, it is likely that your strongest single town read is going to be dead on D2 regardless. SK is NOT going to remove a questionable player, they will be gunning for the most obv townie brownie.

So yeah, I was surprised that a No Lynch was considered a 'good' option by some people. I guess it might look like that if you look at the game mathematically, but then you aren't really playing mafia anymore.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Replaced out

Omni/Zen: Sorry you guys didn't enjoy the game. I totally understand you guys replacing out, and am glad you did so promptly. Your reads were pretty on point apart from Cello, but it's hard to read someone when they're tunnelling you, so good try and sorry it didn't work out :/

BSL: Sorry if you were busy and stuff. I really hope you were busy and not just lazy (still see you around the forums quite a bit). You didn't really do much that I can remember.

J/Seph: Pretty annoyed at you guys. I understand maybe if Seph was working heaps but J I seriously see you on DGames all the time, and to even watch you POST in other games when you flat out don't even look at mine for 3 days straight, yet never told me you didn't want to play or were too busy with other stuff… is just flat out disrespectful. I don't hate either of you or anything, but PLEASE if you don't intend to play the game don't sign up. Again I don't hate you or hold a grudge or whatever and hope to play games with you in the future, but a simple replace out when you realized you wouldn't be able to play would of helped your faction tremendously.

That said J I was impressed with how quickly you nailed Delvro as the SK, even if you didn't try to get him lynched in game. Maybe if you were town you would of had more motivation to play, I dunno.

Dead

X1: You pretty much just lurked this game. Dunno what else to say really, I probably would of lynched if I was playing and for your extreme lack of content.

Afro Horse: Wish you guys could of been more active. You had good reads for most of the game but you didn't really push to get people lynched, which might of been partially why people thought you were the SK. Nabe got better as the game went on, but really lacked the push to win. And it doesn't help when the rest of town sucked.

Ryker: Thanks for replacing into a dead slot =]

Sworddancer:

Sworddancer. said:
SK = Swiss playing a ballsy game
Mafia = Afro

You're most welcome. ^.^
Thanks for replacing dude. Good try, can't win them all!

Delvro: You got better as the game went on, but MAN I was so sure you were going to be lynched Day 1. You did a lot of scummy things. E.g. from my notes:

Cello asking Delvro about no lynches. Delvro took a strong stance that No Lynch was incredibly pro town (in the fact the only pro town option) but then totally retracted it later when it was decided by most that lynching is a better option, and then he proceeded to vote swiss for being "pro No lynch" without much consideration. He had other reasoning behind his vote, but it was based upon having a certain stance on mechanics which contradicts his own play. This quick and big change in stance really stood out to me, and I'm surprised Cello didn't crucify Delvro for it.
And you genrerally played a very "in the background game" where you pushed Cello's suspects on Day 1. Add to that your bad reaction to pressure and I thought "damn my SK is dead." But you managed to recover and shift the suspicion onto X1/Swiss later on, so good effort.

A tip I'd give you is to just flat out "not care" that you are scum, as I think that was holding you back (that you considered replacing out because you wanted SK to win). It's a harder mindset to adopt then I'm making it sound out, though again thanks for playing ^^

-Joey- thanks for replacing but bad move at the end lulz =]

Cello

Cello_Marl said:
vanderzant said:
Cello_Marl said:
Investigate: Swiss
Sorry but you are dead :o.

Just out of curiosity, who would you pin as the remaining scummies?
Even though I'm assuming that your curiosity came about because my in-thread beliefs were wrong, I still can't see the SK as anyone other than Swiss. Before you asked me, I would have said X1 for the other mafia, but now I would say Delvro. I had considered the possibility and meant to endorse his lynch if Swiss flipped SK after lynching X1, but forgot to put that in my last post. The "single choice" of X1 was probably his SK pick.
Ah Cello, honestly the best town by far. It's difficult to follow you sometimes because you keep a lot of your cards hidden, but you played effective and really got all the scum tells you needed from Day 1. Even if some people dislike your style, they can't deny that you got the scummy reactions out of all 3 scum that gave town the potential to take it.

Getting the FBI role was probably the worst thing that could happen to you though. Would of loved to see someone like Afro Horse/BSL get it.

Some advice I'd give thought is you need to work on taking a step back and asking yourself what is truly scummy. You forced all the info out but wasn't totally able to evaluate it fully. I'm surprised Delvro managed to slip past you like he did, and I think your approval of him towards the end of day 1 (iirc) gave him a townie status which helped him immensely. If you'd hit him Day 1 (like I really expected) the game was basically done, as you couldn't be NK'd lol. Thanks for playing!

Winner!

Swiss: Hahahaha Swiss, good job pulling the win off in the end. Your day 1 play was really bad by your own standards, but I think it was the playstyle you were trying to adopt, i.e. lurk so you don't get NK'd as this seemed to be your biggest fear. However, J/Seph dieing day 1 actually worked out pretty well, because you effectively became indy and didn't have to worry about your scum buddy. Say for instance J/Seph had been lynched Day 2, the possibility and chances go up that you'd be connected. But since they never did anything, Town didn't have that info to differentiate between Scum/Indy in endgame.

To me, that was one of the real disadvantages of mafia in this game (who I still think are the weakest faction). But you ended up just operating solo and dancing the line of "scummy enough that indy won't kill me" and "logical and level headed enough that you are useful to town" which I think you always do really well.

You caught some lucky breaks with Delvro not getting lynched Day 1 (which imo was infinitely worse for you then J/Seph getting shot) and the X1/Delvro/Nabe lynches really seemed like coin flips as opposed to thought out lynches.

But yeah, you were better than everyone else basically lol.

Also btw these were Kat's reads a couple days into the game (before Zim replaced out). Kat for MVP!!! :chuckle:

Kat said:
Also yeah I'm reading your game atm!

Currently i think there's something really off with Delvro. I think he's a likely SK! I like Cello's reasoning on Zim, but Delvro seems to be lurking right beside pushing that momentum on him. I would nominate Delvro/Zim as the potential SKers so far.

Neutral on Cello atm.

I feel like the Sho-mininininimato person is mafia - I really believe that entrance posts are so underrated - scum have to crack the game and enter it and it's a tricky situation for them - Sho's entrance post looked eerie - also I absolutely didn't like their comment of "let's get back to scumhunting", if this was a concern of their's, surely they would have scumhunted there and then, looking at the intent behind the maths Cello and Zim were arguing about. They didn't. The fact that Sho simply accepted that Cello vs Zim was just an ordinary D1 argument about maths makes me think they have no need to be analytical about this BECAUSE they are scum. I would probably push for their lynch at this point if I were in!

I think Afro Horse is Town.

Swiss I'm actually leaning scum atm. "Pseudo supporter" makes me want to kill him kill him with a rocket launcher. "Something in this game is hollow", what a needless statement - Town Swiss is less cryptic, he's being picky with his word choices here which makes me think he's thinking about what he's typing, whereas Town Swiss is like china glass to a brick wall.

In order I would lynch:

Sho
One of Delvro, Zim
Swiss

Atm!!!!

MVP!!!!!!!!

Finally on the note of MVP I've decided that there won't be one for this game. A MVP performance (to me anyway) constitutes great play either by a single player or group of players. It should not necessarily be the winning faction either.

From a town perspective, Cello played good on day 1 and if he had managed to nail the entire scum that would constitute an MVP performance. But imo, he fell short of that (missing the SK) but still played well.

From a scum perspective, Swiss recovered and won the game for his faction from a terrible Day 1 result (his partners lynch). Yet most players had him pinned as scum, so there wasn't really a "WOW SWISS WAS SCUM???" revelation at the end. It's more that he abused lurkers and bad town play to win.

Of course, this is not take away from his win, but at many points in the game he was dangerously close to losing and didn't die due to a lot of sheer luck. The point I'm really trying to get at is that "Great scum play should be indistinguishable from great town play" and I think Swiss fell short of the bar.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
yeah, i was able to be on the forums a fair amount, because it doesnt take up that much time. playing a mafia game takes up a whole lot more, and i was already getting a little bit behind.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
But vandy. Great scum play, which according to you is analogous to great town play, would only get you NKd in this setup <_<

I think Swiss maneuvered everything quite nicely and though some of it was given to him on a coin toss, I personally think he earned an MVP.

Just sayin'

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Holy balony, I already knew Kat was extremly good at reading but my God he really pretty much pinned everyone that soon? He needs to teach me to read as well as he does, he seriously has a talent for that kind of thing.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
But vandy. Great scum play, which according to you is analogous to great town play, would only get you NKd in this setup <_<

I think Swiss maneuvered everything quite nicely and though some of it was given to him on a coin toss, I personally think he earned an MVP.

Just sayin'
That's a real narrow way of looking at my analogy ^^. Everyone thought BSL/Joey was town... was he? Yeah, but if he WASN'T he would of been a mastermind lol.

Swiss played well but the only reason you'd nudge him in as MVP imo is because he won.

For instance, if -Joey- had made the right choice and voted Afro in endgame, would you still give Swiss the MVP? Probably not. Would you give Joey/Nabe the MVP? Again, I don't think I would.

Delvro came soooo close to winning, as did town. In fact, everyone was a coinflip away from winning. But I don't think anyone played "amazing" and I don't think MVP should just be given out because someone won.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
ofc. its your call.

to answer your question: you're right. I would not have given anyone an MVP if Swiss had lost in that lylo. Though you may look at that LYLO as Joey making a bad move, it still had to do a lot with Swiss imo. The fact that he did pull it off from such impossible odds just says something to me. idk i may be off base, your call.

Swiss

Smash Lord
I can understand not getting the MVP from Vanz' point of view.

I deliberately made myself look like SK to pseudo clear myself when we lynched him (which I only had to do because Cello was the friggin' FBI). I know I'm insanely hard to lynch and gambitted on that. Vanz I'd disagree my D1 play was poor by my standards, I'd say it was incredibly unlucky (non Cello FBI = hai Swiss confirmed nonSK). After that I think I danced the line of avoiding the NK's and the lynches fantastically. As for some of the lynches, I suppose they were coin tosses, because I didn't care who out of a group died (IIRC X1 was town to me, but he had to die - that's a day phase where I knew I wouldn't hit the SK).

To me, playing a good scum game isn't about ending the game and people always being "OMG no way Swiss how were you scum?" it's about getting there in the way that I think gives me the biggest chance. I don't care if I endgame people when they all think I'm scum. I endgamed them. I play to endgame purpose. Mafia is 'you won' or 'you lost', and I won. I regularly win as scum, because 99% of players here don't realise playing a good scum game isn't about having a huge reveal at the end, shock factor isn't in your winCon, getting yourself or an ally is. You thought I was scummy at endgame? Cool. I still made you lynch someone else. Why? Because I can. Did it here, did it in Disc (kinda), did it in Taco, did it in Pikmafia, did it in Halo yet still people don't realise what scum play is all about - everyone of these scum games people thought me scummy at endgame, everyone of these games I played other people to secure the lynch I needed. Every time I won.

Playing scum isn't about looking town, it's about getting scum to endgame.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
^ Dude I know. I've never lost as scum. Never been lynched as scum. My scum record is 6-0. Get at me :awesome:

I'm not saying you did anything wrong. In fact, doing anything more than you already had to appear protown or change peoples minds would be against your win con. You did exactly what you needed to win.

Considering the inactivity, I feel this game was an incredibly easy environment for scum to win (or at least town to not win). I'm not trying to take away from your win at all, honestly, but Town in general was horrible on Day 1 and even worse for subsequent days.

3 players had to be replaced and another 2 had about the same or less posts than the mod.

I was just under the impression that MVP's were supposed to recognize good play, not just be handed out because someone won. When I read this game I don't think "wow Swiss totally manipulated the lynches to go his way and win!" but instead "wow Joey and Dark horse didn't even read the game >.<" (no offense joey/dh!)

Maybe I'm contradicting myself >.<. I don't know.

I just feel that for the same reason I don't think IC's should be eligible for MVP in a newbie game, I don't think he deserves it here because everyone else just sucked >.>

Swiss

Smash Lord
Ignoring the terminology on 'Most valuable player' I agree.

I think I was the most valuable player, but MVP should be handed out when someone excelled. I more wanted people to realise what my goals were for the game. I'd want an MVP for how sheerly stacked the game was against me when Sho/Ryker died, and think I powered through well, deserving some major kudos - but I agree that town weren't exactly godlike.

Regardless, I'm happy with how I played the game, and would statistically make the same decisions again. I'm fine with there being no MVP, it doesn't detract from another win on my sheet or mah mad scum rep ;P

Top Bottom