• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TVs

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
Hey guys.

I'm looking into buying another LCD screen but I wanna make sure there is no input lag. What kind of specs am I looking for to avoid this? Is it just the refresh rate I'm after?

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
Ok. The main reason for buying one was to make it a smash tv and I know (because I tested it before) that component cables help with the input lag in smash. The again the LCD I was testing Smash on had 8 or 10ms which was why there was still input lag. Is there such thing as an LCD viable smash tv? :3 Haven't seen anyone bring a good one to a tournament before :/

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Ok. The main reason for buying one was to make it a smash tv and I know (because I tested it before) that component cables help with the input lag in smash. The again the LCD I was testing Smash on had 8 or 10ms which was why there was still input lag. Is there such thing as an LCD viable smash tv? :3 Haven't seen anyone bring a good one to a tournament before :/
your only option is computer monitors with AV inputs or AV -> digital converters

ive played on some monitors this way with 0 lag, just widescreen can make things :x

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288887

Richard7

Smash Ace
Just buy a Panasonic Viera, that's what I have, they're ftw. They have very little imput lag, you probably wont notice it. I've only come across like 1 person who has and thats while playing smash of course. But you after a 1080p native TV or a 720p? I think a 720p native TV will have lower imput lag for a Wii because your Wii won't have to upscale the image as much. You will need component cables for starters btw. Also what size are you looking at getting? 32" is a pretty good size, but for a Wii you'd maybe want the next size down (whatever that is, probably 28, but I don't know if they even exist for Panasonic Vieras).

EDIT: This is also the TV I play smash on and it doesn't effect my play.

EDIT: Mine's a 37" and also a native 1080p one.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
I'd be happy with evem a 24inch as it would be easier to take to tournaments when needed. I pretty much just wanna replace my bulky crt although good, at the same time awkward for transporting.

Edit: Since there are so many Vieras, which gen am I looking at?

Edit 2: Was looking at their X-Series and found 22inch screens.

Richard7

Smash Ace
You could probably get any TV that's between 18" and 32" (even if they're no name brands) and have unnoticeable input lag provided you have component cables and its a 720p TV.

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/product/1256972625094/panasonic--high-definition-lcd-tv

Go with that or just choose any from here (between whatever minimum size you're willing to go with to 32")

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/page/1255508460157/tv-audio-gaming-tv-dvd-video-tvs

Edit: Since there are so many Vieras, which gen am I looking at?
Not sure what gen mine is, but just get whatevers in your price range (if there is a big enough difference between gens) but if price isn't an issue, I'd assume going with the latest would be the best thing to do.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
response time foo.
Response time has nothing to do with lag.

You could probably get any TV that's between 18" and 32" (even if they're no name brands) and have unnoticeable input lag provided you have component cables and its a 720p TV.
Ugh, we went over this in the other thread, but to simplify things I'll reiterate here: you're a ******. "Probably" and "unnoticeable" are not the words you should be throwing around when suggesting a $400-500+ purchase.

Anyway,
Cal, I recently bought an LCD TV myself primarily for smash, and I can definitely reccommend it: a Samsung P2770HD. Supposedly it averages at 23ms lag, just over a frame in smash terms (within the acceptable range). I personally can't feel it even with timing-sensitive stuff like chaingrabbing with ICs or any melee Falco stuff at all (with game mode off btw), not that that really says anything. In any case, just over a frame of lag is pretty **** good, and it's not even a frame for games like smash 64. Other than that it's 27", has inputs out the ***, and you can find it for less than $500. Definitely check it out.

If that's not good enough for you then basically Redact is correct, you'll need to convert the AV signal to VGA (HD Fury, etc.) or buy a Wii VGA cable proper (I believe Mayflash makes a dual-Wii/PS3 one), and plug that into a monitor's VGA port, only then will you get the absolute minimum of lag.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
I've given the wiki pages a bit of a read and it has cleared up a lot of questions in my head. I'll give them a re-read later. I 100% understand RMS now though and have about 70% understanding now on how input lag works. Thanks guys.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Yeah.... making fun of people that state fact makes you look bad. NTSC Virtual Console Majora's Mask > Virtual Console Majora's Mask, this is fact.

Also PAL melee can't do 60hz.
dunno what version of melee you playin, but my ones on 60hz bud, my monitor wont even support 50hz (8

Richard7

Smash Ace
Yeah looks like I mixed up the fact that PAL Melee can't do 480p, while the NTSC one can.

The Majora's Mask thing wasn't irrelevant assuming Redact's statement came from the Epic Yarn thread where we talked about 50hz and 60hz.

Also I must be a pretty special ****** that can live a life as normal as someone who isn't a ******.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
remember kids, ntsc melee is faster than 60hz pal melee
I remember that ****, that was the lols

also richard you arnt doing anything normal.
when will you kids ever learn, am I gonna have to come over there and set things straight?

Richard7

Smash Ace
also richard you arnt doing anything normal.
when will you kids ever learn, am I gonna have to come over there and set things straight?
I dunno hey, I'm on a computer right now typing and stuff, which is what you guys are doing right now, so unless you're trying to say that what you're doing isn't normal, then I'm doing something normal.

And sure, we've been waiting for you to come for something like 6 months.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
The moment EA called Richared a retared I predicted this mess in the thread lol. Anyway this is the PC monitor I really wanna buy: http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Asus-VG236-120Hz-LCD-Monitor-Review/

I wanna upgrade my current lcd I use for PC gaming anyway and I'm hoping I can combine my screen for smash as well. Can anyone tell me why Input lag isn't tested in reviews as much as (I think) it should and why other kinds of games e.g. FPS aren't effected by this.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
nice work richard, assuming i read a thread i have 0 interest in

kirbys a boring series, i dont have a wii, and i havent posted there

nice assumption

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
typing whilst crying uncontrollably isnt normal dude.

also what do you expect, ea is the king of evil.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Sorry Cal it had to be done, I could have been slightly nicer about it but imo the thread would have went this way anyway, just like the 99% of all threads Ric posts in. I couldn't just let it slide since he was spouting false/bad info. :p

Anyway, hopefully my post was of help regardless. :3

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
Yea it was definately. The sad thing is that PC monitor reviews don't really test input lag, just Response Time.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
Btw I'd like to add I found that Samsung tv EA both the 27 and 23inch version for 489 and 326 respectably. I have tried the vga transcoder box/vga cables but you always run into some issue with them eventually or there's always something off about the picture quality which really, really bugs me.

Maybe a plasma would be the way to go. As long as I found one that had a refresh rate of above 80hz

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Yeah, fair enough, I read about the VGA cables having trouble with things like some VC games so I opted to just look around for a good TV rather than go with a monitor/vga combo, even if it meant a slight bit more lag, and even though it probably wouldnt affect me too much; kinda bugged me too.

Also was that price at ARC? I bought mine there for roughly $490, very pleased with that personally considering the TV (budget was $500).

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
What's everyone/anyone's opinion on 120hz screens? I did a bit of research but I ended up confused by the end of it. Btw I was researching at midnight which probably isn't a good idea >_> Does anyone own one of these screens?

As far as PC monitors are concerned I have these 2 choices for an upgrade:

Get a 120hz LCD

Get a 60hz LED backlit screen.

What would you guys choose?

Top Bottom