• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to start a huge SSB64 Tournament

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Since I stopped playing Smash 64 around 2002, but I just started back up recently, I was wondering what the chances were of getting a huge tournament together for it. I also just ran a tournament for free, with no cash pot, and we had 27 people show up and play in it.

I live in Memphis, TN. How many people normally go to SSB64 tournaments (a lot or a little)? If we were to have a tournament with a guaranteed $350 to $500 cash pot, how many people would actually show up?

Any info and hints would be appreciated. Thanks.

dandan

Smash Lord
as it seems right now, unless the tourney takes place in cali, you would not have high attendance.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Psh, we got plenty of Smash here, just not 64. We pull in 25-35 people for weeklies and 60-80 for our monthly tournaments.

And I kind of expected what DanDan and PD said, but I hoped it would be different lol.

The Star King

Smash Hero
as it seems right now, unless the tourney takes place in cali, you would not have high attendance.
I would have agreed before reading this thread, but holy ****, apparently he got 27 people. That's more than any Cali tourney I've heard of - hell, that's more than Apex 2010 got. It doesn't compare to the 90 man tournaments Japan has, but still.

And yes, VueBrawler, sadly 27 is a good turnout for Smash64.

dandan

Smash Lord
I would have agreed before reading this thread, but holy ****, apparently he got 27 people. That's more than any Cali tourney I've heard of - hell, that's more than Apex 2010 got. It doesn't compare to the 90 man tournaments Japan has, but still.

And yes, VueBrawler, sadly 27 is a good turnout for Smash64.
i think he meant for melee and brawl.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
No... we had 27 for SSB64 this last Friday. They definitely weren't of the same calibur I've seen online, but they did come out and play. I can put the bracket up at some point as proof. Darn that Talon... he put me out in the semis :(

For Melee and Brawl; we had about 40 people in Melee last month and 56 in Brawl, Totalling about 63 individual persons in the tournaments cumulatively.

EDIT:
We had 23 people in the tournament. I was 4 off.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Seriously? 23 is impressive? I refuse to believe this. Literally, 50% of the people I talk to around here claim to be a God at Smash 64, so when we did the tournament they all showed up. Would it really be unfathomable to get close to a 64-man tournament? Even with $500 guaranteed to be in the pot?

moogle

Smash Ace
Hey VueBrawler, I'm not terribly far away from you (3-4 hours), and I'd call myself a retired ssb64 player. I'd show up to an ssb64 event in Memphis, though I mainly play Melee these days. I know the Memphis Melee guys quite well... IHSB, Nite, Iori, etc.

Anyways, drawing national attention to a ssb64 tourney in Memphis sounds pretty difficult, but maybe not impossible. Having a guaranteed pot size would certainly help. Although, I think the best way to do a large-scale ssb64 tourney is to piggyback a national Melee/Brawl tournament, like Pound 5 or Genesis 2. I think FC-Diamond did it best (in 2007), where there was a flat $75 entrance fee for everything, and there was effectively a "free" ssb64 tournament that any of the attendees could join. That ssb64 tourney had 64 people. (p.s. I got 3rd. :)) I think even a $5 surcharge would deter many Melee/Brawl players that only have a casual interest in ssb64.

Oh yeah, I would say 23 is a pretty good turnout for a ssb64 tourney.

So, there's some thoughts. Glad to hear there's interest for ssb64 in Memphis. :)

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
IHSB, Ambix, BunBun and Iori were supposed to come until "Too Many Knees" got scheduled... I was saddened. That would've been an awesome showing. But the Brawl guys and middle/low end Melee guys came, so it was fun.

Anyways, I get the general idea of piggybacking, but could you explain the specifics of how exactly that works? I'll definitely have to talk to the guys tomorrow/Tuesday and see what they think about working on an SSB64 tournament.

AND there is an interest in all Smashing in Memphis, it's just been hidden and dispersed until recently (except the melee guys, they've been here forever).

moogle

Smash Ace
The logistics of actually setting up a ssb64 tournament at a larger national smash tournament would probably be difficult, especially if you don't know the tournament organizers well (Plank, etc., for Pound 5, and HomeMadeWaffles, etc. for Genesis 2). This might not be a realistic option for you to pursue. I guess I was saying that's probably the best way to get a high-attendence ssb64 tournament in the US.

I do think Genesis 2 is having a ssb64 side tournament, with support from Isai(?). Not sure about Pound 5.

As for hosting a ssb64 tournament in Memphis, having a guaranteed pot could get some national attention. Though, being far from the biggest Smash hotspots (DC, NYC, SoCal, NorCal, etc.) is unfortunately an obstacle. I guess see where this thread goes, and see what people say.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Seriously? 23 is impressive? I refuse to believe this. Literally, 50% of the people I talk to around here claim to be a God at Smash 64, so when we did the tournament they all showed up. Would it really be unfathomable to get close to a 64-man tournament? Even with $500 guaranteed to be in the pot?
23 is the same number that APEX got.

Of course, the skill level was probably a lot lower for your tournament, but it WAS a local.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Yes, the skill level here is rather iffy... I got beat by the one legitimate player lol. But combine the 23 we had for that tournament and maybe some semi-national recognition and I might have full 32 man bracket... Maybe?

BunBun

Smash Master
All I heard in this thread is the sound Moogle makes when he wakes up in oncoming traffic.

Also, come up to Memphis for post-christmas awesomeness, please.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
what you need to do is get a huge bus and move to the bay area. There is enough gamers in the bay to pull off a huge tourney........ ou6t on the east coast and midwest..... not so much.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Yes, let me round up a few of my buddies and move, forsaking friendships and family, in our quest to run huge smash brothers tournaments! :bee:

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
Yes, let me round up a few of my buddies and move, forsaking friendships and family, in our quest to run huge smash brothers tournaments! :bee:
now this guy is talking! haha

but on a serious note, if there was a guaranteed pot, id be down to go. but it wont be for a while as money is tight right now :c

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Well a tourney of this epic proportion wouldn't happen for about 6-8 months. I have to be able to raise enough money to support the tournament. We'll see how that goes.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Well if im ever in Memphis while you have a tourney, count me in. Anyway I hope you suceed. Nothing beats a 64 live tourney :)

Top Bottom