• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to hard?

Stray Element

Smash Cadet
I have been playing Olimar for 2 months now and I just thought that maybe I am trying too hard. When I watch the videos that I see posted on the Oli boards, I see so much pure and un-adulterated awesomeness that I often immediately turn on my Wii and start practicing. I've noticed that the people in these different videos seem to use all the colors for pretty much everything (except using whites for KO's obviously). What I do whenever I play as Olimar is use the pikmin that I have next in line for the purpose it serves best. For example if I have a red behind me, I focus on using it in an aerial attack and nothing else, or purples for upthrow/downsmash, and whenever I see a white I just hit side b the moment I have a clear shot (you get the idea).

Essentialy I would like to know if I am trying to hard to use the pikmin for their best purpose, or if I should just spend less time worrying about which pikmin I have next, and more time about other things? I am not really noticing myself loosing because of this, but if concentrating less on which pikmin is next, and more on KOing or something else will help me become a better Olimar player then I would really appreciate any advice you all could give me.

(BTW I'm sorry if this belongs in a thread that is already active, I searched the Olimar boards but I couldn't find a specific thread where I might actually be able to post this and receive an answer :))

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
No, this is almost exactly as I play. It's great, that's my reason to play olimar, to think while playing.
Just make sure it doesn't get to the point where you ONLY fb a white and they are right in your face and not only knock the pikmin off, but get a nice, clean fair in your helmet.

Point is, be dedicated to your line, know it, love it, know all 6 pikmin and be able to downsmash twice to get your 5th one in line to your front. Don't let it consume you wholly though. Go with the motion. It works out the best.

asob4

Smash Champion
keep track bot don't try to keep it tooo specific kkz?

it's ok to throw every pikmin :)

Stray Element

Smash Cadet
Hehe I know its OK to throw all of em :p, but I meant more along the lines of I am within range to either do smashes/aerials and I perform my next attack based on the pikmin that comes next.

Actually that's another question I have and I guess I might as well get it out of the way while I'm posting here...

When I throw my pikmin, I usually just keep throwing till either my opponent kills the ones on him, or approaches me to where I have to do something else. All the vids I see show people just throwing 1 or 2, but I usually throw like 4... I always make sure to have at least 2 with me at all times though. Should I not be throwing so many at once?

asob4

Smash Champion
it's up to you
i tend not to throw as much as some and generally use them more as an approach or to bait campers

i've found that out of the other olis i conserve my line much more than them

Fino

Smash Master
It's good to watch your pikmin and utilize their best options, but don't just take 40% trying to grab with a blue for the bthrow kill you might not get.
I try to do this, but when I notice that people are watching my pikmin, I like to change things up. For instance, say I grab with a blue... I might intentionally stall to let them see which color and then do a uthrow instead of a bthrow. Why? When the see that it's a blue, they'll immediately DI up. Ect.

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just don't get so caught up in the pikmin lineup that you ignore the basics- zoning, pressuring, stage control, etc.

I personally try to focus on choosing between my options in a given situation, and then factor my pikmin order into the equation. Not the other way around.

Just do what works for you.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Something your going to have to become good at when using Olimar is handling his line, not ordering it, handling it. Your line doesn't have to be perfect, and don't waste your time ordering it. Play by what you see, and try to always know the next 2-3 pikmin you have up, just so you don't go around trying to kill with a white and start grab combos with purples, things like that. Just be wary of who you have, but don't ruin your game over it. The only thing I really try to do are make sure my whites are out of the way when I'm going for kills. I love whites, they deal great damage when latched and are excellent for starting grab combos, but they are weak as hell, so don't hope to get kills with them. God bless you if you do.

In other words, be wary, but don't focus your entire game on your line. Just know whos next at bat.

asob4

Smash Champion
i once usmashed a falco with a white and killed him at 150%

the falco was played by creepy fingers and it was during a crew battle
raaape hahaha

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Whites are **** against Ike's side-b recovery. It's sooo easy to aim.

Stray Element

Smash Cadet
Haha thanks for the input guys :)

Actually I managed to get a pseudo-spike with a white pikmin once. I hit my friends Mario with my Dair with a white, and instead of going strait down on FD, he went slightly down and right (we were off the left side of the stage) and he actually got (kinda) stage spiked by it.

Top Bottom