• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

trouble with double short hop fair.

ihatethecape

Smash Ace
i can shffl any of marths aerials but his fair. i don't know why. if it helps any i use y to jump. please help me. i've tried pressing a as fast i can after the initial jump but it still doesn't work. gayness.

Forsworn

Smash Cadet
Maybe I can help (I use Y to jump, too. ^5 :) ) ...

It's kind of like timing a wavedash. You know how you jump then immediately airdodge for a wavedash? Well, it's pretty much that same timing for the 1st Fair in a SH double Fair. Some people say press Z or use C-stick for the first fair; I use the regular side-A using the control stick for the first one, then C-stick the 2nd Fair so I can DI away or behind the opponent with the now-free control stick. Just use whatever combination is comfortable for you, though I advise at least C-sticking the 2nd Fair to DI.

SH-> Immediate Fair (side-A, Z, C-stick; all with wavedash-like timing from when you SH) -> 2nd Fair (side-A, Z, C-stick)

It's much easier said than done, of course. Once you get the timing down for the 1st Fair, the second one should come out about half a second after you start falling from your short hop.

It's all practice, practice, and more practice though. You'll get it soon, I'm sure.

EDIT: Make sure to L-cancel as you land so you can start another SH double Fair if you like, grab, etc.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't recommend to do it with C-Stick, cause it's too far away from the jump buttons.
Just SH and inmideately do a Fair, so that as Marth rises from the ground he performs the attack, then very near the ground you perform the other Fair. It is a thing of timing, not button smashing.

demonsbane105

Smash Journeyman
i'd have to agree with Roche. i just use the A button for everything. i don't use the c-stick at all since its too far from the rest of the buttons.

path411

Smash Cadet
I would recommend the using a or z button definetly for the first, then the second one c-stick would definetly be good for di like forsworn said.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
you cant do a single fair in TWO short hops!?

O.o

haha just kidding. once you master approaching with short hop double fair, you should work on retreating short hop double fair. i say cstick works best for that one mmhmm mmhmm

but work on normal ways first, probably a into cstick will get it best.

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
its just the timing

dont mash just press A *pause of like 1/3 -1/2 second the* A

and try to get your first A click off as fast as possible after you jump

atleast this is how i do it

balladechina212

Smash Ace
It's all about rhythm. You can't just mash it. Get the rhythm down and press A or the c-stick accordingly. Personally, I use A for the first fair and c-stick the second so I can space it better (I also c-stick uairs after the fair). Remember, the rhythm is different if you MISS the first fair and if you HIT the first fair (due to hitlag).

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i use c-stick for both fairs when going left, but when im going right, its nearly impossible to use c-stick so i just use the a button. (using x to jump)

seriously though, c-stick is way easier, and so much easier to combo, cause u can DI to swipe the opponent at proper distance.

zoomj

Smash Rookie
i decided not to make another thread about this

i am able to perform the dshuffled fairs. question is at low damages lets say with yoshi, i do the doublefairs and when i go for the first fair in the next short hop. the fair seems to miss, even though i seem to be above him, if the previous fair was not a tipper. this is correct? If so i am thinking about using the nair instead to get a higher percent of combos or another attack to combo.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
The claw is definitely NOT necessary for the short hop double fair. It's not near as hard as techniques such as Fox's SH double laser. Finger sliding will easily do the trick, just practice more.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
The claw is definitely NOT necessary for the short hop double fair. It's not near as hard as techniques such as Fox's SH double laser. Finger sliding will easily do the trick, just practice more.
It may not be strictly necessary but it makes it significantly easier. Not only that, but it makes DI'ing aerials in general much easier. I have extremely precise control over my fair chains because I claw. I can also do things like ledge-hopped reverse neutral Bs. And you don't have to have ungodly fast hands either. You just have to get used to an unusual grip, which IMO is easier than trying to move your thumb faster than should be possible.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
well now i do this weird thing where i move my whole left hand over from the control stick to c-stick right. i can double fair pretty well now but i still have trouble ever pulling off that combo everybody knows where they fair fair then spike with dair. havent pulled that off yet.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
well now i do this weird thing where i move my whole left hand over from the control stick to c-stick right. i can double fair pretty well now but i still have trouble ever pulling off that combo everybody knows where they fair fair then spike with dair. havent pulled that off yet.
Ken combo =p

Against semi-floaties like Marth you need to full jump a sweet-spotted FAIR around 45 - 55, which should pop them up nicely for an easy double-jumped DAIR. Against slightly heavier characters, increase the percentage. Against heavily damaged semi-floaties (don't know the percentage, probably around 100) you can chain non-sweet-spotted FAIRs into a DAIR. Against heavily damaged fast-fallers (100ish?) you can chain sweet-spotted FAIRs into DAIRs.

Schweppes

Smash Ace
Clawing is bringing your index finger onto the front of the controller. In this case, you'd press Y with your right index finger leaving your thumb open to press other buttons.

Top Bottom