• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Triforce of Courage: Link's Match-Up Thread!

Beat11

Smash Apprentice
No. MK is not Link's worst matchup. Learn to use bombs each and every chance you get. Use them defensively. Keep the distance between you and him with bomb in hand strategy to avoid up close confrontation. He will approach you so make it as hard as possible with annoying defensive bomb maneuvers. It is the exact same thing Snake does for this matchup. It is still in our disadvantage but it is definitely not our worst. Try thinking of a character with an annoying sideB, lasers, reflector, CGs and a stupid fast jab. CGs and a annoying sideB eliminates Fox from the equation. Wolf's sideB and lasers kinda sucks against Link so that leaves you with.....

Xcallion

Smash Ace
obviously Link's worst matchup is Zelda. idk about you guys but i can never control her with my mindgames to get her where i want her... but in all seriousness, cant you prevent falco from lazer camping by standing still and letting the hylian shield protect you? i can see how the CG to spike would be a ***** though

Beat11

Smash Apprentice
He'll just aim for your head then. We take some lasers by TRYING to camp him at the first 50% of our stock then go mid range afterwards.

BTW, for some reason, I lose to Zelda often even tho I know exactly what to do. I even loss to my Lvl 9 CPU once. It's a luck thing tho. For some reason, Zelda is just bad luck when I fight her.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Both MK and Falco are murder matchups for Link, and which one is more difficult is kinda irrelevant. I definitely think Falco's more frustrating and taxing on the mind to play against though.

Dedede's also bad, but I've never played a good Dedede, so I can't say a whole lot about that matchup.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
DDD is bad because a single grab can mean death if they read you well offstage, that and his weight is very hard to kill him at a decent %. Also DDD has a guaranteed kill on Link out of a Dthrow a jump canceled Usmash. So now not getting grabbed is even more important than ever.

I don't mind Falco too much because, well I guess I play it enough where I have the idea of what Link should and shouldn't do at certain points.

MK...he can just so so much stuff that Link can't do anything about, off stage it's really bad if they know what they are doing. Even with him approaching he has the speed upclose and running to get to Link and apply pressure just fine with range comparable to Marth.

Personal I guess but yeah like Huggles said it's a toss up between the two, they both are really bad for Link.

Rizen

Smash Legend
:falco::metaknight::dedede:Massacre MUs.
:fox::olimar::dk2::kirby2::pikachu2::sheik:Murder MUs.
:wario::popo::diddy: Can be h*** sometimes.
:ike: Supe.r hard on wifi.
(April fools s.ensor d.odge :))

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
IC's are obnoxious. I'm sure I'm probably in the minority, but I think Wario's almost even (I've played a couple of good Warios). I don't think Diddy is too bad but if you let him get set up and get full control he will massacre you.

Also, check the original post. It's about a million times better now:awesome:

EDIT: so Weegee is Luigi, the evil twin brother with the bike is Wario.... I have to know what Mario is now, haha.

SECOND EDIT: Yessssssss. SWF is amazing today.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I read a lot of this MK v Link stuff, and beat is right, Bombs are so good in this match up, just run, drop bomb, get bomb, throw boomerang, throw bomb, magically avoid MK, get bomb, throw bomb.........get hit, bomb you are holding explodes, DAIR that Shuttle Loop, dead. Repeat.

Beat11

Smash Apprentice
I recommend Fox, MK, R.O.B, or King D3

I know the Fox and MK MUs (especailly Fox, dear GOD SO MANY FOXES!!!!!) I just wanna see people discuss them.

I never understood R.O.B due to playing no R.O.Bs at all

I beleive D3 has become a little better after watching how Kirin plays with all the amazing shield pressure and spacing to avoid shield grabs and up close pressure. This is theorycraft tho.

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
Sonic is so annoying when the MU is played right, best thing is they are bad at killing lol so expect time outs...

Beat11

Smash Apprentice
I find that SH Nair and Bair help alot in this MU. They easily beat all of Sonic's attacks due to his proirity issues. Nair stops Sonic's grounded and low aimed aerial spinshots while Bair can sort of stop running shield dash since he can't shield grab a Bair on shield. I spam as many bombs as i can when i get the chance. Mainly bomb in hand tactics and cooking my bombs to keep him away and stops him from getting grab happy.

I don't know if this helps anyone but it what helps me. I also spam as little projectiles as possible unless i have a bomb to cover me close range.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I dont really play too many sonics. But the ones i have played are more annoying then dangerous. I played a few that just spin dash>aerial>Up special> Dair> Roll repeat. Its pretty hard to damage a sonic doing that. But its a very easy to defend against strat.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Espy experience?
Not just Espy, but I've played a few others, like Tesh and a sonic that went by the name of Josh at Oh Snap VI.

Sonic is so annoying when the MU is played right, best thing is they are bad at killing lol so expect time outs...
Time outs in favor of Sonic.
Also, here's a visual of friendlies between Tesh and me (this was back at HOBO 31):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhOy1GFWn9A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjEDvqNCIxk&feature=related

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Good matches ALSM!

Sonic has good recovery and is heaver then average so he can survive well. His only good killing moves are Fsmash, which is surprisingly disjointed, and Bair but he's good at gimping with his long recovery and its spring.

Link can only grab out of the air (from offstage recovery) with the 'grab bubble' on his hand but he has 8 frames duration when sonic can UpB into it. Then wait w/o pummeling or throwing for a grab release and Sonic can't jump until he lands or falls to his death. Like everyone knows.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I really don't have much Sonic experience. Seriously, all I have to go on is playing as Sonic a decent bit, haha, and I wouldn't trust that at all.

Sonic does live forever though. Between his decent weight, good MCing, and amazing recovery he's not gonna die early from what I know. With his recovery I doubt he's going to need his up B much anyway; not unless he wants to use it, and it's good enough it'd seem to me it wouldn't be too hard to avoid the grab release gimp (especially with Link; with that super laggy, tiny hit bubble good luck grabbing anyone out of the air).

Having good SDI probably helps a lot, with his fair, usmash (doubt it gets used a lot anyway), maybe it can get you out of spin dash followups?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Best thing is to not get hit by the spin dash in the first place. Its fairly easy to see coming. Though a good sonic will mix it up so you can really tell wtf hes doing. Just time everything so you power shield or put up the shield only when you need to and not spot dodge since it will leave you vulnerable afterward.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^G&W. I used to know that fairly well. Now I can't get an edge on him, the MU feels like I'm treading water.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
#Note. This is opinioned. Some heads will be in other locations. (for example Sheik in -1 and -2) because i cant decide.

:falco:
:metaknight: :fox:
:kirby2: :olimar: :pikachu2: :lucario: :dedede: :diddy: :wolf: :popo: :sheik: :toonlink: :zerosuitsamus: :peach: :pit: :yoshi2: :snake:
:dk2: :luigi2: :lucas: :sheilda: :marth: :wario: :toonlink: :sheik: :gw: :ike: :rob: :sonic: :samus2: :popo: :mario2: :ness2: :peach: :snake:
:ness2: :pt: :samus2: :jigglypuff: :falcon:
:zelda: :bowser2:
:ganondorf:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
:falco: :metaknight:
:dedede: :sheik: :fox:
:kirby2: :olimar: :pikachu2: :lucario: :diddy: :wolf: :popo: :toonlink: :zerosuitsamus: :peach: :pit: :snake: :marth: :rob: :ike: :dk2: :gw: :luigi2:
:samus2: :mario2: :ness2: :jigglypuff: :yoshi2: :sonic: :wario: :pt:
:zelda: :bowser2: :falcon: :lucas:
+1
:ganondorf:

My opinion. I've played PR'd Warios before and don't think it's bad at all, but I also second Wario and think I have a pretty solid Wario myself so that probably helps.

Haha, sorry Zeldasmash, but Link kinda sucks. He beats Ganon, but that's about it, and who doesn't beat Ganon?

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I find him not having any positive matchups atrocious.
Some Explanations:

Link vs. Ganondorf is a lot even than people think. I'm digging this from experience playing Espy's and Kprime's ganondorf, and from seeing KirinBlaze vs. Vermanubis vids. If Ganondorf had Falcon's frame data and speed, he would be a better character than Link.

Link vs. Falcon, Falcon is quick and that jab game/close-quarters-combat and how easily he can juggle Link in the air really gives Falcon the +1 in the MU in my opinion. Link's projectiles are too slow, you really have to play on your toes in this matchup to avoid getting overwhelmed with frame traps.

As for Zelda and Bowser, those characters are arguably in Link's favor imo.

DK, Ike, R.O.B., and G&W could arguably be -1 for Link imo.

Fox is not as hard as D3 and MK imo. I've played Zeton before (and other Fox players), this MU is tough don't get me wrong, but not that tough.

Just my thoughts.

Beat11

Smash Apprentice
Some Explanations:

Fox is not as hard as D3 and MK imo. I've played Zeton before (and other Fox players), this MU is tough don't get me wrong, but not that tough.

Just my thoughts.
This. I live in memphis where there are many foxes. KDS, Talon, my brother and others all play Fox. I almost beat Talon's and never faced KDS's. That MU is constantly exagerrated. Learning to SDI really hurts Fox by the way.

Anyway, I need a little more advice for MK. He was the only character i was afriad of running into during my two tournies that i've been to. I need to figure out how to **** scrub MKs.

BTW, always counterpick Falco, sheik, Snake, and Diddy on RC. you guys should really learn the stage as it helps majorly against many characters except those who are extremely good on it.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Link vs. Ganondorf is a lot even than people think. I'm digging this from experience playing Espy's and Kprime's ganondorf, and from seeing KirinBlaze vs. Vermanubis vids. If Ganondorf had Falcon's frame data and speed, he would be a better character than Link.

Link vs. Falcon, Falcon is quick and that jab game/close-quarters-combat and how easily he can juggle Link in the air really gives Falcon the +1 in the MU in my opinion. Link's projectiles are too slow, you really have to play on your toes in this matchup to avoid getting overwhelmed with frame traps.

As for Zelda and Bowser, those characters are arguably in Link's favor imo.

DK, Ike, R.O.B., and G&W could arguably be -1 for Link imo.

Just my thoughts.
Haha, I agree on the Ganon thing. It's definitely not as bad for Ganon as some people say. I play as Ganon a lot. In particular, I think Link's got the edge but Ganon's pretty good at murdering people when he gets a bit of momentum going. I'd call it 55-45 using the old system; near-even, Link has a slight edge.

DK's definitely not a -1 in my mind, I think he's worse than that. Ike and ROB are manageable, I could see -1 for them. I think -1 is a bit generous for the G&W MU imo, although I can understand it.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^ I totally agree.
BTW, always counterpick Falco, sheik, Snake, and Diddy on RC. you guys should really learn the stage as it helps majorly against many characters except those who are extremely good on it.
Brinstar's usually better but banned.
Anyway, I need a little more advice for MK. He was the only character i was afriad of running into during my two tournies that i've been to. I need to figure out how to **** scrub MKs.
Scrubs? Abuse Link's strengths and things like bombs and Dair. Play like the MK doesn't know he can be 150 times cheaper than you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYx268CCUEg

Beat11

Smash Apprentice
^ I totally agree.

Exactly. people never suspect the fact that Link is actually good on RC and they go for FD or Brinstar instead. I caught a Falco and a Snake by surprise with this stage. Whenever They start banning RC, then go Brinstar.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Coming from playing against DLA's Ganon I can safely say it's a +1.

As for Zelda and Bowser, Zelda is a +1 while it's not as simple as keep away it's mostly what you need to do, just don't play her game and you'll do a lot better.

Bowser is even if played correctly I agree with that.

G&W thread will be made soon.

X3DS

Smash Rookie
^ I totally agree.

Scrubs? Abuse Link's strengths and things like bombs and Dair. Play like the MK doesn't know he can be 150 times cheaper than you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYx268CCUEg
Link vs. Metaknight

I sort of play this as if I'm playing Snake vs. Metaknight except much more carefully as Link does not have the recovery, kill power, or priority of Snake. But basically you never want to be above Metaknight in the air and you'll want to keep him afar with your projectiles and make him come to you since if you approach him you'll likely get torn apart. Bombs are very useful for this match up not just for projectile spamming but also against nado. Never follow Mk off the edge but instead be patient and bait him with your projectiles. recover low as MK can easily gimp you if you try to recover high. you never want to be fighting MK in close range as is the case with Snake your moveset simply lacks the speed to match his something a good MK will know and do his best to abuse.

Top Bottom