• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Triangle Jumping

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Hey guys. I've recently been exploring a long forgotten technique that I think might help the ICs get in against characters with superior range, specifically Marth.

For those that don't know, triangle jumping is the younger brother of wavedashing; you jump and airdodge towards the ground. However, you do the airdodge late so that you get actual frames of invincibility, but you still hit the ground.

The ICs, thanks to their shape, actually have a decent triangle jump. Using 16th angles can get you decent horizontal range and still leaves you with standard wavedashing lag. It's tough to get the timing down though. You want to be invincible for as long as possible while still touching the ground before the airdodge ends so you don't lag for very long. You also want to get as much horizontal range as you can because doing it in place, while neat, doesn't help solve the spacing issue.

Can people do me a favor and try practicing with this? I want to data to know how handy it is. I think it may also help against Ganon if you can cross him up during his f-airs and trick him into jabbing thin air.

Matchups I think it will help:

Marth
Ganon
Jiggs
Falcon?
Maybe Peach, letting you advance while catching her turnips.

Help me out people, I need to brute force this research data ^_^ I'm going to start working on it as soon as I can and see where it comes in handy. It'll be dangerous to do with Nana present because she'll do it late, get hit, create extra hit stun and extend hit boxes. It might work if you go all the way through certain moves by making them lag longer, but I'm more worried she'll just get you hit.

Thoughts?

Binx

Smash Master
It's something I've tried using before, I'm a lot more trixy now so it would definitely be something to try again. From what I can remember though at least against Marth it isn't fast enough, it can get you inside smashes (what can't lol) but he can still fall on top of you with a second fair or upair or grab you if he just did a single or no fair.

I really do see it being useful against Ganon though and I'll experiment with it the next chance I get at fighting one. Against peach if its to catch a turnip she would already be advancing on the spot you would be jumping to so it probably would not be a good idea to catch turnips that way because you would be jumping into damage or at the least immediate peach shield pressure.

I'm not too experienced against jiggs, but I would like to hear your reasoning on how triangle jumping could be helpful vs her.

All in all though it could be just what we need, this is to everyone, don't be afraid to experiment with it just because I don't think it's effective, the worst case scenario is you know for sure. And I will try this at the next opportunity.

Binx

Smash Master
This really could be great against Ganon, it could really be a good mix up, once they start to expect this it lets you wavedash in without getting hit by an aerial because they are waiting for something slower.

Not to mention the obvious advantage of punishing Ganon's missed attack with a utilt or grab or something out of this a few times before they catch on.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Well, like I said I don't really *know* what will work and what won't. Even if it seems unlikely to succeed, can you please *please please* try anyhow? I would like to be pleasantly surprised.

As arrogant and silly as it sounds, my goal is to surpass Chu and be best ICs in the world :D To do this, I need/want/would love the forum's help.

Part of my attempts to do this will also include writing down everything I know about the ICs in one big document and sharing it here. I know a LOT of tiny details that I'm sure most people aren't aware of so I'd like to hand all the knowledge off--in turn, I'd like for people to tell me things that I don't seem to know. It's going to be hell, but I intend to become the M2K of Ice Climbers :)

PB&J

Smash Hero
Well, like I said I don't really *know* what will work and what won't. Even if it seems unlikely to succeed, can you please *please please* try anyhow? I would like to be pleasantly surprised.

As arrogant and silly as it sounds, my goal is to surpass Chu and be best ICs in the world :D To do this, I need/want/would love the forum's help.

Part of my attempts to do this will also include writing down everything I know about the ICs in one big document and sharing it here. I know a LOT of tiny details that I'm sure most people aren't aware of so I'd like to hand all the knowledge off--in turn, I'd like for people to tell me things that I don't seem to know. It's going to be hell, but I intend to become the M2K of Ice Climbers :)
arre u coming to to4..i know doh,caveman and xelic are going..u should come and show me more stuff

Binx

Smash Master
Good goal Wobbles, I think you're on your way man, I've seen some of your stuff, and for sure you are one of if not the most knowledgeable climber players. I used to have that goal too but then I sucked out and decided to pick Fox vs characters I couldn't seem to overcome =(

I really respect you for sticking with the little guys against Peach =)

For sure though I'll learn what I can when I actually get a chance to play and get back to you on it. It might be a way to get around missiles from samus too, instead of jumping over all of them.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Pocky: Used correctly it's faster than rolling and gives you different spacing, allowing for more subtle crossups. I hope. The downside is that because it's faster your safety window is smaller.

PB&J: No can do man :( I'd love to go to a big Melee tourney but school starts for me shortly and I have a personal vendetta against my academic life for kicking my *** recently. It needs put in its place.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Hmm... messing around with this a bit more in training mode I found it's easier to time and space the air-dodge if you short hop into it. You go at a very convenient height for controlling the angle and distance of your dodge. Still haven't tested it out against a person, but I may be able to this evening.

L__

Smash Master
I'm trying to perfect the timing. It worked a FEW times on friends.

*will edit after "perfection"*

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Well, if you look purely at the frame data on it, a well timed triangle jump can make it through Marth's f-air hitbox and land with plenty of time to punish. He's the matchup I'm most concerned with improving, ATM.

Actually, frame data says this can be really handy, depending on your opponent. The IC's air-dodge lasts 48 frames. Frames 4-29 of the air-dodge are invincible. Of course, a fair amount of that is the ending hang time, but I don't know how much... that's important because it means you've got a much smaller window, probably only 10 frames of invincibility at best.

Looking at problematic moves you can try to figure out which ones can be punished with a good triangle jump.

Samus' f-tilt (which I think is unpunishable out of shield and can't really be CC'ed except at low percents) is a move I'm concerned with. Apparently it only lasts 31 frames, and frames 6-8 of it are active. That means 3 frames of hitbox, and let's pretend you get 10 invincible movement frames on a perfect triangle jump...

A perfect triangle jump, by the way, would be one where you get as much invincibility as possible while still hitting the ground and canceling the dodge. We'll assume you have invincible movement for 10 frames, to look at this situation.

Here are possible scenarios:

You air-dodge and get invinicibility at the same moment Samus' hitbox comes out. That means 4-10 frames are spent landing. You add the frames Samus' hitbox ends -- 8 -- then add the time until you hit the ground -- 6 -- and you get 14. Samus' tilt is on frame 14 when you land. There are 10 more frames of landing lag from the air-dodge, and then it's frame 25 when you can act again. That means you have a frame advantage of 6. Even if you were absolutely perfect, you could not--strictly speaking, grab in that time--the grab takes 7 frames to come out. If you were late at all, Samus' up+b could let her escape, assuming SHE was perfect as well. This is probably the worst case scenario, apart from getting hit.

Here's another one: Samus' hitbox comes out on the 7th invincible frame of your dodge, meaning she just BARELY misses. So now her move is at frame 8, and you're already landing. Ten more frames on that means 9 + 10 = 19. 31- 19 = 12. You'd have 12 frames to act before Samus can move again, letting you d-smash or grab if you wanted. This is the best case scenario for a perfect triangle jump.

Here's what all that means. First (and most obvious), the laggier the move, the better the triangle jump will be at punishing it. Second, the opponent's reflexes are important in how this works; if Samus is watching you carefully, she would see the airdodge on frame 1; you'd become invincible on frame 4. If she tilted at the last possible moment and still missed, that would mean she waited 11 frames--a little over a sixth of a second. That's probably about a .2 second reflex time.

The average person has about a .25 reflex time, and if the airdodge is unexpected you can tack on some time; if you KNOW the Samus will tilt and you have decent timing, you should be able to make it through with time to spare.

The key word is unexpected. Here's a short example; Samus' grapple comes out on frame 18, and one of my friends has a reflex time of .17 seconds. He's absurdly fast, and if he was watching for it he could dodge Samus' grapple on reflex without a problem. But he still can be caught off guard in actual matches and get grabbed. This is because he's not always looking for those start-up frames and he's not mentally prepared with a plan. If the Samus knows you're going to air-dodge AND she has good reflexes AND can recognize the initial animation, then you could be in trouble. Fortunately, not many moves are as fast and far-reaching as Samus' f-tilt.

And remember, I'm guessing on the 10 frames thing. It could be more, could be less; more movement frames would be better AND worse--you could travel farther and it would make the timing window easier, but it would also be easier to react to the air-dodge. Less would make the timing window harder. And this doesn't account for imperfect triangle jumps.

Smaller triangle jumps would actually be ideal, but more difficult to execute because you'd have a smaller window.

Obvious drawbacks: this requires good spacing, timing, and reasonable tech-skill to get the air dodge angle you want when you need it. It also requires good prediction and the ability to throw it out at the right time--using it well would be **** hard. Fortunately it's a vastly underused technique and you will have the surprise factor on your side.

But then there's the issue of Nana -- she WILL get hit in almost every circumstance that you triangle jump. Getting hit means the opponent's hitbox stalls on her, and that keeps it active longer. Unless you manage to air-dodge out of the hitbox's range, then you'll probably get hit as well--this would mean going THROUGH the opponent with the dodge. This is somewhat feasible using 16th angles, especially against aerial opponents moving towards you. However, your goal is to use this trick to get inside of an opponent's range--you'd already have to be deep in their range to go through them.

So clearly it's a tactic you'd almost never use unless you were SoPo, and even then it's risky. It opens up some more punishment options but it's **** tough. The best (and possibly easiest) application is short hopping towards an enemy's shield and doing a late triangle jump *through* them. You could easily bait a shield grab and punish it with d-smash or a grab and have plenty of time to spare. I *know* that this yields good results, as I've done it pretty consistently. Again, it's better with SoPo because Nana could easily get grabbed and thrown into you.

Lastly, looking at frame data, I was right: triangle jumping is almost completely worthless against Peach except possibly against turnips. Retreating triangle jump into air dodge catch, perhaps--I would love to catch a stitch face or Bobomb like that.

BTW, all frame data comes from http://www.angelfire.com/games5/sdmcoolvid/frames.html. SuperDoodleMan is awesome :D Next post is about problem moves that it can work on.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
So what moves can we use it on?

Once again, I'm doing math on the assumption that your air-dodge will invincibly move for 10 frames at most. On top of that, this assumes the opponent and you are moving as fast as possible, so in a real match with mistakes and imperfection there would be variation as well. This is strictly theoretical to let you know what is technically *possible.* Finally, unless I indicate otherwise, I'm assuming that you're using SoPo against these.

And I'll restate the draw-backs so people don't feel the need to point them out later. 1) Triangle jumping and getting guaranteed punishment is gonna be REALLY HARD. I'm always hunting for new ways to gain an edge, but I fully recognize how difficult and risky this is against certain moves. 2) You often already have an option for dealing with the move anyhow, so this often isn't the best option.

I think it's most useful if you don't have much room on the stage to maneuver. It's also the best way, IMO, to avoid certain grabs--if I was deep against a shield, for instance, I'd rather dodge through and force them to whiff a shield grab. But yes, upon close examination it's definitely limited. Right now it's more of a fun side project that I'm messing around with.

So here we go. Here are a couple moves I want to try and deal with.

Marth's jab: Ordinarily, the biggest wall you face against Marth is f-air d-tilt. D-tilt is amazingly hard to punish even when he whiffs it, and the best option for conquering it is short-hopped f-air; you go right over the tip and with Nana present you get 20+ damage and a positional advantage (a grounded crouch cancel, the opportunity to up-air him a bit, or at 0 percent a combo'd grab. That's a stock right there!) Marth *could* f-smash instead of d-tilt, but that's punishable out of shield with a grab, and many Marth players will be wary of smashing against ICs who can grab-combo--the odds of getting f-smashed are low, especially if your movements aren't predictable.

But then there's the jab; like d-tilt, it comes out fast and has good range. Unlike d-tilt, it reaches up kind of high. Short-hop in with an f-air and you'll just get swatted away. Not many Marths do this, but against me (personally) when I SHFFL f-air over d-tilt and kill off the grab, they start trying new options :D So it's something to be wary of and have a plan for defeating. It's not particularly devastating, but if he can shut you out then he has no reason not to do it. Also, bear in mind that it's *possible* to wavedash in and punish the first jab if it whiffs, but it requires excellent timing and spacing, and you have to input the wavedash well in advance.

For the record, perfect wavedashes have about 13 to 14 frames of lag; 3 as you jump, 10 from the landing, and I'm not sure if there are some frames in there where you aren't moving and can't input commands... so let's just call it 14, to be conservative. To wavedash in against a jab, you'd need to be able to act as the jab ends, but you'd also need to be sliding in... on top of that, your strongest options, grabbing and d-smashing, have 7 frames of startup. That adds up to mean that it's really effing difficult. Of course, we've already established that triangle jumping is really hard to do as well, so... whatever. We're off topic and that's inconveniently deflating my post.

His jab acts on frames 4-7, and the second swing can come out between 20-27, depending on when Marth hits A. If he doesn't use the second jab, the move ends on frame 27. So 4 active frames and somewhere between 13-20 frames left to punish; in a perfect world, you'd land with 3 frames to spare. That's enough time to throw up a shield and shield grab the second jab. If he decided NOT to swing twice and you landed deep enough, you'd get a few extra. That's a grab opportunity.

Something that's nice about this is you also have a chance at punishing u-tilt with it. U-tilt is active for 7 frames, but half of those are above and behind him; if you aren't dodging in REALLY deep you shouldn't get hit; you'll have at least 10 frames to punish.

Marth's f-air: This is the move that really sucks to fight against, and it's Marth's bread and butter. Typically you don't want to challenge it at all, but there is an opportunity for you to break in and get guaranteed punishment. It has low l-canceled lag, so you have to get in when he CAN'T L-cancel but you can still reach the ground. The only time that happens is right when he jumps off the ground.

It's out for 4 frames, starting on frame 4, so it's way too fast to react to; on the bright side, Marths almost always throw it out as soon as they short hop or full jump, then go for the second one while they adjust their spacing.

Speaking of spacing, one of the nice things about characters who rely on it is it makes them a little predictable. Admittedly they can shut you out really hard if they're spacing well, but it also means you generally know when they're going to try and attack. They'll attack at the moment when you're at the furthest limit of their range.

So in a weird way, you can almost control when the f-air comes out. When that f-air comes out you can be invincible, moving towards him. Here are the frames.

Again, it's out for 4 frames and can be interrupted on frame 30; from 8-30, it's vulnerable. With a good air-dodge that leaves you 12 frames to get in there and hit him. Since you've just invaded his space, it also means you don't have to spend that time moving much--you have enough time to short hop and n-air, u-air, or b-air him before he can even throw out another attack, and that doesn't even account for the startup time on his aerials.

F-air comes out on frame 4, b-air on frame 7, d-air on 6, n-air on 6, and u-air on 7; even his forward+b takes 6 frames to come out, and if he jumps that's 1 extra frame he's not able to attack you.

Can he fast fall and escape? Well, he can start fast-falling on frame 20, and at best (for him) that means he's in the air for 26 frames; then again, there are four frames of ordinary landing lag, so we're back up to 30! In fact, if he lands on frame 26 then he has to L-cancel his f-air, and that means 7 frames of lag on landing instead; so if he SHFFLs as fast as he can, you'll have 15 frames to get him. If he delays it at all (which is more likely, since he'll have a tough time reacting) the f-air will autocancel on landing but he'll be in the air longer and he won't have time to throw another aerial out. And if he starts fast falling and you throw out a d-smash, you'll catch him with it DI'ing down. That thought makes me smile.

Ganon's f-air: This is a rough move to get around. He's going to tip it when he can and he'll jab afterwards, but if you're charging in you can force the move to go deep. Unlike the other moves that I've talked about, this one's an aerial (durr) and that means you're contending with L-canceled lag. Fortunately, his f-air has a lot of landing lag; its shield stun normally compensates for that, but we're not going to shield it.

Comes out on frame 14, lasts for 6, and has L-canceled lag of 12. This move is going to be REALLY hard to deal with using a triangle jump. If you assume that the Ganon is attempting to hit with the tip of his fist as he lands, then the move will only be out one or two frames; that means he's got 12 frames of lag, and a triangle jump won't deal with that. If he lands at the last hitbox frame, the hitbox will be more inside his body and a deep triangle jump might get you hit. We don't want that either.

In both cases, if you timed everything absolutely perfectly, you would still be at a disadvantage; you'd get hit or he'd have time to shield, roll or jab you. It may be possible to get in deep enough to shield grab his landing jab (you'd have enough frames to pull it off) but nothing would be guaranteed. If you managed to get behind him and you d-smashed, it would only work if he tried to turn and f-tilt you. If he shields that, he could probably SH b-air out of shield on reaction and punch your skull off.

So there's really only one way to get this to work, and that's if you're triangle jumping with Nana. You need to get in kind of deep and let Nana get hit by the f-air while you made it inside Ganon's range. Ganon and Nana would stall in hit lag and you'd be able to punish in the meantime. You don't even need to do any math to see you'd get a grab; even if Nana flies away, you can d-throw chaingrab Ganon until she returns; that's when you could work your grabbing magic.

Triangle jumping, then, is pretty bad against this move. It MIGHT work at lower percents if you know the Ganon will short-hop into it, and even then you might as well sneak under him with wavedash into up-tilt. If he's full jumping, you'll either retreat, snare him with blizzard, or try to get under him with u-air... you might even pester him with double squall, if you wanted. But let's say you really wanted to get a grab (and there's a good reason for that against Ganon) then this has the potential to yield good results.

That was fun for me; if anybody found that information helpful at all and wants me to keep researching, I'll do it. If I posted things that are factually incorrect and flat-out stupid, you're also free to call me on it. Lastly, you can also research on your own if you like and please post your findings if you do!

EWC

Smash Ace
I might be missing something, but what makes this better than simply wd out of shield?

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
If a Marth tippered your shield with a SHFFL'd f-air you could not punish it using WD out of shield.

Wavedashing out of shield has lag based on the following elements: shield stun and normal wavedash lag (13-14 frames-ish). By that point, a lot of moves (particularly aerials) have already ended. In the case of Samus' f-tilt, if the Samus doesn't make a terrible error it's nearly impossible to punish the attack with a wavedash out of shield. With a good triangle dodge it's possible (theoretically, anyhow).

WD out of shield definitely has more application and is probably one of the first techniques an IC player would want to master, however.

EWC

Smash Ace
Now that I think about it more, this is a pretty neat idea. I think I'm gonna learn this. Thanks.

Binx

Smash Master
Okay, so I played a few games yesterday vs Marth, Fox, and Falcon. I didn't try triangle jumping vs Fox, what I go from Marth is that its an alternative to wavelanding onto the stage, if they expect a waveland they will basically grab at the jump sound and you should land with enough time to jab or grab yourself. If they were close enough to the ledge a fair would probably be fine as well.

VS Marth's Fair, I didn't have any success, he was able to jab me out of grab attempts, I didn't think of jabbing in that situation so I don't know if I would have had enough frame advantage to do so, many of the times I tried it he ended up double jumping away into another retreating fair which he would mix up with forward b stalls, after a bit I stopped trying to implement triangle jumps and started uairing and dash attacking more, yielding better results.

On the bright side thought I won 3 $5 money matches, we did 5 person self crews, where each of us had 5 different characters, the first one Ice Climbers got me 6 stocks leading to an eventual 1 stock win at 100% damage, the second one I didn't make it to Ice Climbers before I won =) and the last one the little Ice Climbers Anchored and gave me a 2 stock win.

PS: And Falcon wrecked my Ice Climbers and their attempts to do anything, including triangle jump, I am awful at the match up =(

Top Bottom