• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training mode

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Could use the record cpu actions and then play it over like traditional fighters like sfv,tekke n 7.would make labbing so much easier

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I agree. Making the CPU doing single moves like specials is too shallow. I want to experiment with situations and find out what’s unsafe on shieldstun.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Training mode is boot butt cheeks garbage and need to be worked on. Smash kids should not have to deal with this garbage for another game folks have to start speaking up on it instead they complaining bout the wrong thing. All it needs is dummy record and like 2-3 other things and it be good to go. Have to start spreading the word with the right people and get a petition or letter to the dev team.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Honestly, this game has seen the best evolution of the training mode in any Smash Bros game to date. The frame advance from 4 is much easier and accurate to work with. The launch trajectory is neat. When you increase CPU or Player damage it "locks" onto common values of 100% and 300% so you don't overshoot. There's a Rage Toggle. The 1v1 damage multiplier is turned off when you increase the amount of CPUs (I was ESPECIALLY worried they would miss this detail). You can toggle visuals indicating invulnerability and invincibility frames, which in turn lets you see precise hurtboxes. Though I wish they'd go further and give us visual hitboxes as well as indications of super armor which are absent. You can make the CPU attempt to escape your combos, even using SDI. You can fix the damage so that it doesn't increase - saving you the hassle of resetting each time you test something. You can toggle move staling.

That's an insane list of improvements. Seeing how few features were added between Smash 64 and Smash 4, All I dared to ask for at the time was a Rage toggle. But now the only features I can think of to add are hitbox visuals and the record settings in Street Fighter games. And even in that regard you can practice block punishing neutral specials and forward smashes which isn't nothing. For the first time it feels like the Training Mode wasn't doing slightly more than the bare minimum of functionality.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Honestly, this game has seen the best evolution of the training mode in any Smash Bros game to date. The frame advance from 4 is much easier and accurate to work with. The launch trajectory is neat. When you increase CPU or Player damage it "locks" onto common values of 100% and 300% so you don't overshoot. There's a Rage Toggle. The 1v1 damage multiplier is turned off when you increase the amount of CPUs (I was ESPECIALLY worried they would miss this detail). You can toggle visuals indicating invulnerability and invincibility frames, which in turn lets you see precise hurtboxes. Though I wish they'd go further and give us visual hitboxes as well as indications of super armor which are absent. You can make the CPU attempt to escape your combos, even using SDI. You can fix the damage so that it doesn't increase - saving you the hassle of resetting each time you test something. You can toggle move staling.

That's an insane list of improvements. Seeing how few features were added between Smash 64 and Smash 4, All I dared to ask for at the time was a Rage toggle. But now the only features I can think of to add are hitbox visuals and the record settings in Street Fighter games. And even in that regard you can practice block punishing neutral specials and forward smashes which isn't nothing. For the first time it feels like the Training Mode wasn't doing slightly more than the bare minimum of functionality.
True I give you that however dummy record has been a standard since mid 2000's and has been showing up earlier than that. With bots you cannot 100 % trust them on inputs cause they can be slightly off via be too fast or too slow and when it comes to very finicky things you rather do it yourself hence another reason dummy record is a big thing and working with Bamco they easily can obtain help with that sort of thing.

Nah

Smash Champion
You can make the CPU attempt to escape your combos, even using SDI.
I would like to hear more details on this.

Setting the CPU to try to escape combos in different ways would've been so ****ing nice to have in Smash 4

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I would like to hear more details on this.

Setting the CPU to try to escape combos in different ways would've been so ****ing nice to have in Smash 4
It's the CPU Shuffling option. What the setting describes is what we call DI and SDI, but if you go into the techniques section of the HELP menu, they officially refer to DI and SDI as "Launch Shuffling" and "Hitstun shuffling". The setting will have no effect if the CPU behavior is set to Stop or Control. But any other behavior and you will see them escape your multijabs and similar moves. As for their DI, I can't tell what the impact is there. I don't think the computer is smart enough to decide where to DI combos versus when to DI to survive. So it definitely warrants extensive testing in that regard.

NathanD

Smash Rookie
It's a pain you have to set them to something besides stop to get them to shuffle correctly.

Recording inputs would make it actually useful.

I have to use it a crap load as I can only play online at best once a week.

fozzy fosbourne

Smash Apprentice
As someone coming from other fg, the lack of recording functionality is really surprising. In other games, if there was a situation I couldn’t figure out in-game, I would set it up in training mode and try all my options. But here it looks like I would need someone else to play 2p for many situations?

I was wondering if maybe there are controllers or something that could record inputs and play them back. It would still be obnoxious to get the 2p in the right position each time you wanted to practice, but it might be decent for some things.

NathanD

Smash Rookie
A add on device seems reasonable for a wired connection as I cant imagine reverse enginners the outputs would be too hard. A microcontroller could easily do the work once it's reversed. It would take some soldering, some testing, and the right equipment. Probably a sophomore electrical engineering student could do it easily if they had a digital logic analyizer (cheap) and could learn to program a cheap microcontroller not a Arduino. Putting it into manufacture wouldn't even be hard it's only a few components to solder together when all is said and done.

Doctor Grudge

Smash Cadet
I was shocked there was no record function as well, I thought that maybe I was just blind and couldn't find it.

It sucks that you basically need a training partner to experiment proper counters and what not.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I mean, some of us have been playing Smash games for over a decade having to get a buddy in to test if a combo is true, test block/dodge punishes or learn how game mechanics worked before we based our gameplans around them. Having a training partner was always a given. As far as I can tell, you can test anything you want in Ultimate alone with frame advance and two controllers in the same amount of time it would take to adjust a record feature, but I guess every revolution is a matter of perspective...

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Thought of it as well.
At least let us select a specific move from the opponent's moveset to loop.

Top Bottom