• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

trainer = 40 characters.... read why...

Shadowplusle

Smash Journeyman
Stupid way to start an arguement. Can you give me 10 good reasons why the hell they shouldn't take any given character out? Most people will only come up with four or five before they start repeating themselves, even with iconic Nintendo characters like Mario. Then the other person will poke holes in the other arguements by saying they're not good enough. Since a good reason is a subjective term. It's not about how many reason you can find, it's how good the point behind the arguement is.

Just like this whole stupid problem. It's not about how many characters Sakurai can add. It's how good they make the game.

Sakurai said they're removing characters. So face it not every character is returning.

This guys good. i support you.

Talendime

Smash Ace
35-40 is a safe estimate to begin with, and today's update has nothing to do with it.

I read a long time ago (I think on the old version of the Dojo site) a direct quote from Sakurai saying that he's hoping to get atleast 50 characters... I'm not lying, I wouldn't say this if I wasn't positive, but this should make you guys happy.
And 50 is a solid number. It would mean that they doubled the size of the roster for each game. Sounds good.

DonVitoOR

Smash Apprentice
ive just been suprised by todays update.
pokemon trainer is a character.
that means they are willing to use a valuable character space again for the pokemon series.
this concludes my point 100% that there will be tons of characters in this game.
im guessing 45
im super serious , he brought another pokemon into this game.
there will be a ****load of characters. dont be stingey anymore. this confirms it.

(i thought ash would be a AT that would throw venasaur,blastoise, and charizard at the same time on stage, a few months back... this was a close prediction)

but wtf?

who else believes there will be a grip of characters in brawl??

You do know, that he only has/throws Squirttle, IvySaur, and Charizard? Only using single pokemon for each evolution.

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
Mario & Pokemon are the 2 highest selling game franchses in history. They rightfully deserve their spots.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
This is getting out-of-hand and slightly ridiculous. Here is what I think.

-40-45 characters has been said as a good guess of characters since the announcement of the game way back when. Just because Red has been confirmed doesn't mean you can expect a certain number of characters. Maybe Red took 7 months to make. You just simply don't know anything until it has been confirmed. I believe there are going to be 40-45 characters, but Red didn't confirm that, it is just my opinion.

-Again, we don't know the number of characters that are going to be in the game. Personally, I would like Sakurai to do whatever the hell he wants with the characters. I don't hold grudges against any series, because I love Nintendo way too much to hate characters. There are some I feel would be better left out of the game, but I am not complaining if they get in. Also, I'd rather have less characters that are really well developed than a mass of clones and under-developed personal. Just because a certain character has been confirmed, doesn't mean you can expect any single thing from the game until it has been confirmed.

Takuyo90

Smash Apprentice
people, people, your missing the true point, theres now three more pokemon in smash bros, and thats about 4 too many
well since we cant fully control the trainers pokemon that woulnd realy count and you saying 4 too many is kind of wierd since there are about like 40 pkmn to use in melee(im talking about the pokeballs) do you see my point?

TxuZz

Smash Cadet
that update really surprised me. and made me think of a few things: this is definitely going to cause the sheik-zelda thing, when you'll get used to estrictly one of the three pokemon, master it, and never change! mmm.. i wonder if it will be possible to change pokemon in midair, cause that would be an awesome recovery move.. ( even better if the next pokeball is thrown on the stage, like most of the pics)

I think there wont be anymore independant pokemon besides pikachu( since he doesnt like being inside a pokeball and that ****) so what came to my mind is that maybe they'll put another trainer ( as a hidden ch.) with another three- new gen- pokemon... like a clone. (woah.. i just love dreaming..)
i mean, they just did it with three pokemon, and you say "obviously its gonna be more pkmn than in melee.. ok 4 pokemon". think abouit it: three in last game.. and only one more in brawl? dude! we're talkin' bout' freakin' Brawl! so, what u think about a clone female trainer? it would only takes one spot.. leaving at least 44 according to most of you.

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
I read a long time ago (I think on the old version of the Dojo site) a direct quote from Sakurai saying that he's hoping to get atleast 50 characters... I'm not lying, I wouldn't say this if I wasn't positive, but this should make you guys happy.
And 50 is a solid number. It would mean that they doubled the size of the roster for each game. Sounds good.
50? Link plz....

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lmao, i'd be **** surprised to see more than 35. heck, more than 30 would be pushing it. this discussion surprises me.

Fawriel

Smash Master
that update really surprised me. and made me think of a few things: this is definitely going to cause the sheik-zelda thing, when you'll get used to estrictly one of the three pokemon, master it, and never change! mmm.. i wonder if it will be possible to change pokemon in midair, cause that would be an awesome recovery move.. ( even better if the next pokeball is thrown on the stage, like most of the pics)

I think there wont be anymore independant pokemon besides pikachu[...]
-The game forces you to switch every once in a while. Read the updates well before posting theories about them!
-Again, read better. It says that the next Pokemon appears in the same spot the other one disappeared in. If anything, it's a technique for stalling.

-There's no reason to believe that there won't be other independent Pokemon, so... yeah.

EDIT: More than thirty is pushing it? Wow. That's depressing.

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
The Pokemon Trainer surprised me as well (It wasn't as satisfying as the other character appearances IMO).

All in all, I doubt Pokemon Trainer will be of any real importance to me.

I also remember reading(back when ssbb was first announced) that Sakurai was aiming for around double the amount of chars in melee (or around 40-45).
And although I don't believe that it has been further confirmed by this update, I do think it has confirmed one thing...

:::SAKURAI IS DEFINATELY THINKING OUTSIDE OF THE PROVERBIAL BOX:::

~Does this mean more characters??
--My intuition says probably, but then again my intuition is Not To Be Trusted.... >_>

But to those of you thinking that more characters means less quality, just think of the update. I doubt anyone expected a pokemon trainer to be a character and nobody would have guessed at an indirect character. This obviously proves that there is plenty of room for ingenuity in Sakurai's head, and plenty of possibilities in Brawl for original and untouched ideas (for example the Pitfall, Attack trophy, etc.).

~~~Also, I HIGHLY doubt Pikachu will be replaced. Think about it for a moment, Pikachu has appeared as a Normal(not locked) character in BOTH preceeding Smash brothers. Not to mention His status as the icon for all that is Pokemon...
please try to reason before counting the original characters out...

Kentalish

Smash Lord
Mario & Pokemon are the 2 highest selling game franchses in history. They rightfully deserve their spots.
isn't donkey kong right up there like top 10 or somthing in the most games sold... but theres only 1 char.... I honestly think that there shouldnt be any more mario chars

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
isn't donkey kong right up there like top 10 or somthing in the most games sold... but theres only 1 char.... I honestly think that there shouldnt be any more mario chars
No he's not & I'm talking games period

susu_atari

Smash Ace
this doesn't mean that pokemon's getting more spots than any other franchise... i mean, i guess we can probably see 4 zelda characters again, and so far we've got 2 pokemon characters, and we can probably see a couple more. so... that's the same.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
I really don't see how a Pokemon trainer is the secret variable that concludes the number of playable characters........

Kentalish

Smash Lord
like ive been saying its one character. because when you go to the character selection screen there will just be Red not ivysaur and the other guys

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
ok....
i did get a little hyper when i started this thread cuz i just saw it a few moments b4.
wat i mean is that with the inclusion of pokemon trainer there will be more characters than expected to represent each franchize, so i think there will be around 45 characters. also think about this=
pokemon trainer 1....... uses the three starter pokemon
pokemon trainer 2.... second gen pokemon
pt 3...4....
wat if there are more of them???
i do relize that pokemon is the second highest selling franchise ever.
so i wouldnt be suprized
wat do u guys think about that?

GDhunter95

Smash Apprentice
ok....
i did get a little hyper when i started this thread cuz i just saw it a few moments b4.
wat i mean is that with the inclusion of pokemon trainer there will be more characters than expected to represent each franchize, so i think there will be around 45 characters. also think about this=
pt 3...4....
so i wouldnt be suprized

Ooookay. I apologize for snapping at you then. Still, I don't see why you think this is reason to believe that they will have more characters then expected to represent each franchise. It's not like the newcomers need to balance out the number of characters represented by each franchise. I was expecting them to add at least one new Pokemon character. I half expect them to add at least two actually. One because it's a new game and one to replace Pichu.

As for the trainer idea? I don't like it. Partly because it subtracts from the uniqueness of the character, partly because I never really cared for any of the starters outside of the 1st gen anyway, but mostly because nobody really knows if this is a good idea yet.

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
ok....
pt 3...4....
so i wouldnt be suprized
No offense, but I doubt that there will be multiple PT characters.
At most, maybe a more dynamic costume system which can not only change colors but entire characters as well (for example: "red" can be changed to different gens or maybe, just maybe, misty w/ her mains, and brock and his mains, etc.) not aa great chance, but possible nonetheless.

Also
The_Corax_King said:
I really don't see how a Pokemon trainer is the secret variable that concludes the number of playable characters........
What I'm saying is this:

Throughout the past, people have been guessing as well as speculating about the possible characters to be featured in brawl. After all of this, we keep expecting to see a prespeculated face, as if we've already explored all ideas that have even the slightest ioda of a chance. Thus, after the PT update, the possibilities greatly expanded.

Think of it like this, our idea of the probable amount of characters is a box. the box is a set length, width, and height and for a while, it seemed as if it would stay that way. we all knew every inch of the box, and all possibilities for it. but with the announcement of the Pokemon Trainer, we realize that the box might be alot bigger than we previously thought. If they can create Pokemon Trainer as a playable character, think of what else they might create...

Perhaps more indirect characters or maybe characters with an unorthadox way of defeating others.

I may just be being way too philosophical but my point stands. The PT isn't significant to me, what's significant is the addition of a character that would normally be unheard of. A character that I could never imagine being in Brawl is now announced and now it seems like it would fit in quite well...

So there ya have it........YA FOOL!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
No more pokémons !!! :( they take slots for other cool chars! pokemon sucks!

muesli :)
That's not logical at all.

I hate Metroid games, but I still say Ridley should be in. Why? Because their games are popular. :o Just because you don't like Pokemon doesn't mean there shouldn't be anymore characters.

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
it doesnt confirm it. it just confirms that there will be more unique characters then we are expecting. so if everyone is expecting 36-39.... IMO it will be 45 =]

thats all i meant
EXACTLY

I never meant that it DEFINATELY meant more characters, I just said that it SIGNIFIED more UNIQUE characters, which, undoubtedly, may just as well lead to more characters.

It just opens the possibilities...

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
Let the Trainer be on his own, so far he's one of the most original movesets so far with a good concept limiting it. Few different costumes, some kind of way to dress up the Pokemon for Trainer vs Trainer matches, but let's not make everyone into a Transformer or Tag-Team.

We don't need a gigantic roster with every single Poke trainer, multiple colors of Yoshi, a Link with every mask form, and a French fashion show of feminine swordsmen with primary hair colors. Clones are where Melee dragged. Out of all the hidden characters, three of them had original movesets, the others were well-done or poorly-down conversion jobs, plus a few returns like Luigi and Jigglypuff. As nice as 25 character was to see them all up there, these screen edge squares were just stat and costume changes.

We got a three-in-one shape-shifter with a balance system. Awesome, creative, it'll really mix things up. Now let's not stop shaking, throw in some more original characters with new concepts, focus not on series exposure but to making one wild, crazy, anything goes arena with all kinds of characters and all kinds of players.

We don't need clones of new characters, as much as we all just loved Roy, but save the energy for expanding the limits and variety of the game. I'd rather have one new, useable character than three clones. I forgive the developers for throwing in new faces at the last minute, won't mind a clone or two in Brawl as long as they come the new ones coming, but

WANTING multiple clones of a character is as purposeful as wanting more colors of ketchup. They gave us green, some people liked it, just look at the Falco and Ganon players, but that does not mean we need orange, purple, yellow, and violet because Americans will buy an extra crayon because the label says it's a different color than purple.

Anyone play the old Rampage 2 for N64? Unlock the hidden characters? You could unlock the original three monsters on top of the new three. Then, a cyclops guy. Then...With a lot of work...a purple Cyclops guy. Then, after you get the code of all codes, the ultimate monster...black Cyclops guy.

They 'technically' have nine characters in there, that was a lot for back in the day. Thing is, even as a ten year old I remember telling my friend they only had seven but got lazy. That's more or less what happened with Melee, the clones went from just a couple conversions that in the end held their own, to just polluting an otherwise varied, unique roster. The fact they didn't add in Daisy, Blood Falcon or Mewtwo wearing top hat was a sign of their relative shame.

...Yes, I am quite aware we are missing out on the glory of tophat Mewtwo...

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
Let the Trainer be on his own, so far..........................the glory of tophat Mewtwo...
For some parts, I agree with you.
However, the idea that there will be less clones made many people's idea of a character limit shrink very noticably.

some people may have had a great idea for a new character but they seemed too much like one which was already in the game or probably would be.

But with this new character, it proves that you can have an unorthadox character work almost perfectly in an unusual way.

I'm sure many people laughed at the idea of a pokemon trainer as a character and counted it out almost instantly, due to the difficulty of coming up with a stable, equal, and realistic moveset. After which, most would think it impossible to neatly implement him as anything other than an AT at most. therefore, one character possibility seemed lost meaning less ideal characters.

However, the amazingly innovative way he was implemented shows the opening possibilities of other characters that may have seemed impossible at first.
\

Also, Just want to mention, Daisy could be a VERY unique character if it was needed and she would be to peach what luigi is like to Mario. :grin:

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Ok, OP makes no sense, but 40 characters is a reasonable expectation based on this:

SSB64 had 12 characters. SSBM had more than double that with 26 characters. While Sakurai did say that there will not be as big an increase in Brawl's roster, an extra 15-20 characters isn't too far out of bounds.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
People stop *****ing about Pokemon!

Pokemon is a multi-BILLION dollar franchise

That means that it doesn't matter if you like them or not, they're going to be in Brawl. If there is going to be about 40-45 characters, then there will be about 6 Pokemon.

If you don't like that, don't buy SSBB.

Spazznid

Smash Cadet

That means that it doesn't matter if you like them or not, they're going to be in Brawl. If there is going to be about 40-45 characters, then there will be about 6 Pokemon.

Amen to that BRUDDAH

Star105

Smash Journeyman

Amen to that BRUDDAH
well i agree with that statement like i said the more popular a game is the greater chances of a character is being in the game.

Chaos Paladin

Smash Journeyman
Ya i think there will be more then 40 charecters. He adds a new one too his site more often then i had expected. Plus there should be a good amount of secret charecters he wont tell us about.

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
I hope there will be 40+ characters because if you play Wifi-Connection your Unique
I don't know about "unique" but it would allow for more diversity...

And Like Chaos Paladin mentioned, considering the rise in character updates(however small they may be), 40 characters seems about right.

Top Bottom