• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trading Card game themes

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
Anyone ever play any actual games of the TCG? For those of us who have, what kind of themes for your decks did you like? Anyone want to come up with a counter to these decks?

My favorites included an energy removal deck with focus on dragonair and golduck because of hyper beam. I had a charizard/venasaur combo deck which used venasaur's pkmn power energy transfer to keep up charizards energy for a continuous attack. A gameboy only deck had just 2 legendary zapdos so I could use big thunder (random 70 damage to any but zapdos himself).

MBreeto

Smash Ace
back in the day, I had a badass psychic deck, but that was when only first gen were out. Too many cards now.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I have a few decks made. My favorite is... I guess you could say a refresher deck, filled with energy recyclers, Town volunteers, nightly garbage runs, and an Electrode that let's me take energy cards out of my discard pile. I think it's mostly Psychic/Grass, with the most powerful card being a Gardevior EX.

It might actually suck because I've never gotten to duel anyone with it.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I had a good Haymaker Energy removal deck.
Fighting/Electric. 4 Hitmonchans, 3 Electabuzzes, 1 Scyther. And a few other pokemon. 4 energy removals, 2 super energy removals. The rest was pretty standard. We never played with weakness and resistance so counters were impossible.

Commander Blizzard

Smash Apprentice
I used to be into TCG back when it was popular around my area, but then it started getting boring, especially when all you had as an opponent was yourself. Most, if not all, my themes involved my favorite Pokemon, and that's usually a water type; therefore, most of my themes were water-type based.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I only had the cards during the Red/ Blue era.

I quite just as the Silver/ Gold cards were coming out, though I did get a few before hand.

My deck actually beat some of the people that had the later gen cards. It was based upon Charizard and Ditto...

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I had a deck with just one Pokemon (literally, one Pokemon card, the rest were Trainers and stuff), and I'd keep redrawing starting hands until I drew it. It was Mewtwo. The rest of the deck consisted of cards to support Mewtwo lol

Energy Removals, heals, that one rare energy removal, that thing that upped attack, and some card that reduced damage.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
I had a few decks, but my favorite one was a psychic deck based around dark dragonair :)

I had a few others I forget, I think I had a haymaker deck and one based around fossil moltres

it's been so long lol

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
When I was younger when it was still 1st gen someone gave me a huge box of pokemon cards. I never knew how to play and none of my friends had them but I would just lay them out on the floor and look at and read them...ahh good times.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I used to be really into this lol.

As for my favorite decks... Uhg, it's so hard to remember. The last time I had a deck that I played competitively was back in like the Neo set of cards. I never tried competitive play with the new series (and they dont allow old cards - stupid).

I think my best was a Electric and Psychic, though I think I had like 3 main decks. I forget what the others were. I should go search for my old deck lists lol.

Chibo Fun Fact: When I was around 13 or so years old, I used to run one of those Pokemon League groups (where they had the things at stores like card shops or Toys R Us) where you go once a week to play cards and do activities and get promo cards. It was pretty ballin'. lol
I didn't get paid for doing it, but I got the employee 10% discount card for doing it, and access to the back room where I could just wop whatever promos they had saved up lol. I think there was also tourneys and stuff. Now that I think about it, maybe that's why I naturally became a TO in smash, I've been doin that kind of stuff forever lol.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
Were there any riots at your pokemon tournaments?

At least you were lucky enough to go to those, my parents would never take me :(

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I used to love Pokemon cards. Until I actually played the game.

"Flip a coin to win the game."

Then I stopped.

I play Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic: The Gathering. They don't have too much coin flipping and dice rolling antics. Have you guys have ever seen Magic's unhinged set...?

Hilarious stuff right there. :)

Julien

Smash Rookie
Anyone ever play any actual games of the TCG? For those of us who have, what kind of themes for your decks did you like? Anyone want to come up with a counter to these decks?

My favorites included an energy removal deck with focus on dragonair and golduck because of hyper beam. I had a charizard/venasaur combo deck which used venasaur's pkmn power energy transfer to keep up charizards energy for a continuous attack. A gameboy only deck had just 2 legendary zapdos so I could use big thunder (random 70 damage to any but zapdos himself).
i have one very similar to that one. if you want to try a fast deck that seems to work in that game, try this one.

18 water energy

4 Seel
4 Dewgong
4 Lapras
4 Articuno lv 37

2 Professor Oak
4 Bill
2 Pokemon Trader
1 Super Energy Retrieval
3 Energy Removal
1 Super Energy Removal
2 Switch
2 Scoop Up
2 Computer Search
4 Gust of Wind
3 Gambler

i have a few other fun ones, but i really like this one.

Julien

Smash Rookie
i think that deck was really overrated. there were better decks during that era like.. Feraligatr or that slowking deck.

D

Deleted member

I don't see how a deck based on the best card in the game could be overrated, unless you're saying that all other decks in comparison were underrated.

Top Bottom