• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tower of Smash Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
I would do anything, absolutely anything for at least one pic of the Character Select screen from the TOS leaker. I mean, i was talking with Spainkiller on twitter, and even he said it was starting to seem unlikely at this point. I'm just holding out for anything to prove the leak real. Even another video leak.
So even he feels it's unlikely now? That's a bummer. Risking his NEOgaf account for nothing. Though some could argue that's no big loss, it's still more than others have put on the line for supposed leaks. If the leak isn't real, or even just Ridley/Mewtwo not being on the Wii U before the 3DS version, I really won't know what to think of Sakurai. Well, I'd a know a few things, all of which censored and moddable on the forums, but just in his train of thought. Ridley/Mewtwo would generate massive hype and make fans happy so not including them on the roster really does make little sense to me other than Sakurai just not wanting to do the most requested things the fans want, and instead putting in a lot of his own creations/franchises.

Last edited:

Waverunner

Smash Cadet
Well Polar Bear also is in, but has no playable representation... at least not anymore
Yes, but remember, the Ice Climbers were planned characters, so it could still count as a series with playable representation.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
So even he feels it's unlikely now? That's a bummer. Risking his NEOgaf account for nothing. Though some could argue that's no big loss, it's still more than others have put on the line for supposed leaks. If the leak isn't real, or even just Ridley/Mewtwo not being on the Wii U before the 3DS version, I really won't know what to think of Sakurai. Well, I'd a know a few things, all of which censored and moddable on the forums, but just in his train of thought. Ridley/Mewtwo would generate massive hype and make fans happy so not including them on the roster really does make little sense to me other than Sakurai just not wanting to do the most requested things the fans want, and instead putting in a lot of his own creations/franchises.
Not saying you're wrong, but weren't Palutena, Mega Man and Little Mac also widely requested? Sakurai sure did make some mistakes (some that are completely unjustified), but saying "fans" and your last sentence seems to be generalizing why you're upset. Yes, he definitely put a bit more of his wants than I would like, but your talking as if he gave fans absolutely nothing.

Though to prevent an argument, I respect your opinion though, and you most certainly right on some of these cases. While Ridley/Mewtwo were important, and you have a justified reason for being upset at their exclusion as playable characters (as far as we know anyway), fans are generally happy anyway.

On another note, while what you said about Ridley/Mewtwo generating more hype is true, I personally don't believe that they'll come with the Wii U. However, DLC is a different story. And with MK8 & HW having DLC, Smash having it isn't out of the question. So, if DLC does come true, I could see: Wolf, Lucas, Mewtwo, Ridley, Dixie, Chorus Men, Impa and maybe Isaac as DLC characters.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
#teamoptimist

hey guys im back, this leak sure has sparked up conversation... im really hoping its real, it'd make alot of people, and myself, happy. except for the lack of lucas
Here here.:sadeyes: If DLC alts become a thing, I'm hoping him for Ness would be their first choice.

BelowZer0

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys think that the hidden voice clip for event matches hinders this leak?

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Do you guys think that the hidden voice clip for event matches hinders this leak?
It hinders it, but doesn't debunk it. Its entirely possible those were leftover data scrapped. Afterall, Sm4sh uses alot of Brawl assets.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
So even he feels it's unlikely now? That's a bummer. Risking his NEOgaf account for nothing. Though some could argue that's no big loss, it's still more than others have put on the line for supposed leaks.
I believe Spainkiller was referring to Tower of Smash being unlikely. That's unrelated to his leak of Ridley, Mewtwo, Chorus Men, and Dixie.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Very possible event matches might be the coffin for this rumor

By the way thanks to duck hunt dogs zapper match the color of the player

The dumps found 4 additional ones

Its these Orange Cyan purple indigo (i think)

But fear not temporary wii u exclusive characters for retail may still happen (then later release for patch in the 3ds.)

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
I talked with one of my teachers about this rumor/leak, big smash fan, it's cool, and he said that it's up in the sky until you can 100% prove it wrong, so I'd stick with innocent until proven guilty
Well logically speaking, if one fact is wrong, then the leak as a whole is wrong. However, the leak can still be correct about the individual elements of the leak (a stage, character, mode, etc).

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
But it also mentioned event matches which he said would not be returning
That does bring it all into question, now does it?

It could be modes that were planned/ Or to be planned for the 3DS but were scrapped/Held off for the time being. There is also a snippet that mentions "Yellow Teams" which is missing.

Last edited:

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
Well logically speaking, if one fact is wrong, then the leak as a whole is wrong. However, the leak can still be correct about the individual elements of the leak (a stage, character, mode, etc).
Aren't "if one fact is wrong, then the leak as a whole is wrong" and "the leak can still be correct about the individual elements of the leak (a stage, character, mode, etc)" totally different ways of logic one against the other?...

In any case, I believe in the second thing you say, pretty much. Previous leaks that ended being true had some false details too.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
No offense to anyone, but to me, Tower of Smash in itself seems to be a glorified Classic mode. AM I getting the wrong idea? I was kinda hoping for something... mroe. I thought Smash Run was a great idea, but I do not know how something equally fun and unique can be implemented. For me, this Tower of Smash so-called rumored mode does not fit that idea. I am probably a minority.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
That does bring it all into question, now does it?

It could be modes that were planned/ Or to be planned for the 3DS but were scrapped/Held off for the time being. There is also a snippet that mentions "Yellow Teams" which is missing.
It's possible that, if team matches are allowed in 8 man smash, there would be more than three team colors.

Last edited:

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice
Tower of Smash could still be on the Wii U as a single player only mode. Which the 3DS could not be a controller for, therefore wouldn't need the files. However, event modes were supposed to be replaced. Unless that is DLC or something.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Those audio clips could just be left over beta elements, but who knows. There's certainly no yellow team, and a good number of characters don't even have a yellow alt. I don't know that unused sound clips found on the ROM are necessarily indicative of anything other than content that was worked on at some point in development. If I recall correctly, Mewtwo and Roy had victory themes on the Brawl ROM. This is also the 3DS ROM, and while they would naturally share some data, stuff that's unused on 3DS may not have anything to do with Wii U.

Then again, I could just be in denial. Either way, Event Matches, 8-player Smash, and all that stuff aren't for sure included until an official source confirms them.

Last edited:

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Very possible event matches might be the coffin for this rumor

By the way thanks to duck hunt dogs zapper match the color of the player

The dumps found 4 additional ones

Its these Orange Cyan purple indigo (i think)

But fear not temporary wii u exclusive characters for retail may still happen (then later release for patch in the 3ds.)
What do you mean by this? That there's four colors not assigned to a character yet? Dixie, Impa, Mewtwo, Ridley? I hope that's what you're getting at. Because those could be added threw thransferring data, and wouldn't they realign the CSS to look a lot better if other things like the clones moved where they belong?

As for the Event Matches line, there's a chant for Nana and Popo in the files too. I don't think it means anything as of now. Perhaps Event Matches aren't there, unless you link the two games? Who knows. Maybe event matches don't exist on the Wii U version but will at some point on the 3ds?

Even if Tower of Smash isn't real, I'm still gonna hold out hope for Ridley/Mewtwo. Maybe I'm too optimistic, or just crazy. Probably both.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Assuming that the leak is still correct about Tower of Smash replacing event mode, the announcer voices may have recorded some time before the devs decided if there was going to be an event mode or not, is which case it would have made sense for them to record that line with the assumption that it would return. But who knows yet, for now we can just speculate and wait for a PoTD that gives some more information on the Wii U exclusive modes.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
Welp... That's it. It's over.

Last edited:

GideonSmash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gideon1999
No offense to anyone, but to me, Tower of Smash in itself seems to be a glorified Classic mode. AM I getting the wrong idea? I was kinda hoping for something... mroe. I thought Smash Run was a great idea, but I do not know how something equally fun and unique can be implemented. For me, this Tower of Smash so-called rumored mode does not fit that idea. I am probably a minority.
I feel exactly the same. This tower of smash mode sound waaay more boring than SSE or Smash Run...

Waverunner

Smash Cadet
Actually, I believe a leak could be right, and still have some wrong facts:
1. The leaker could have seen something that was eventually scrapped. (Maybe what happened with Chrom in the Genatsu leak)
2. They could not be familiar with certain Nintendo games and guess wrong in certain elements. (ToS leaker maybe mixing up GCO w/ Mt Dedede.)

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I looked at Palutena's Temple and couldn't pinpoint where on the stage it was though.
Look at the bottom right corner of the stage

The one at the farthest end, one below the latter, it matches the pic.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I agree. The Tower of Smash mode is the main reason I want this to be fake.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
The sound clips actually might be for the Wii U game modes. The 3DS can be used as a Wii U controller for Smash 4, so those sounds might play from the 3DS when playing one of those game modes. Either that, or they were planned features that were cut - 8-player Smash sounds awesome, until you recall that Ice Climbers were cut because the 3DS couldn't handle 4 of them at a time (It also better explains DHD's extra reticle colors). We can rule out planned future DLC for 3DS for this reason.

So... how do we take this? If they are indeed Wii U sound effects, we have two mode confirmations that were safe guesses, and a huge blow to the big game mode... They don't exactly counter each other out, in favor of debunking the leak. One could argue that Tower of Smash is "Event Match," and I think that chance is the only thread this is hanging on right now. However, if they were cut features, then they're all meaningless to the leak.

If the leak isn't real, or even just Ridley/Mewtwo not being on the Wii U before the 3DS version, I really won't know what to think of Sakurai. Well, I'd a know a few things, all of which censored and moddable on the forums, but just in his train of thought. Ridley/Mewtwo would generate massive hype and make fans happy so not including them on the roster really does make little sense to me other than Sakurai just not wanting to do the most requested things the fans want, and instead putting in a lot of his own creations/franchises.
This bothers me more than anything else. Those two characters have been strongly hinted at in previous trailers (along with Metalface, Dark Pit, and Mr. Game and Watch, the latter two having made it in but also being the only two characters we saw in full detail without a hard confirmation). Metalface is most likely a boss, but the fact that Ridley was also teased with a shadow concerns me as it does make it seem more likely that Ridley is a boss... Lastly - and most frustratingly - there have been analyses of Greninja's trailer that indicate the Pokemon we saw at first wasn't Greninja, and more closely resembled Mewtwo all the way up until it started using Water Shuriken. The suggestion of Mewtwo's appearance was not an accident.

Why? Why would Sakurai do this if they weren't playable? No matter how you slice it, Nintendo is a company that makes money, and teasing your customers with something they're not going to get is a terrible business decision. The facts we do have don't make any sense.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
What do you mean by this? That there's four colors not assigned to a character yet? Dixie, Impa, Mewtwo, Ridley? I hope that's what you're getting at. Because those could be added threw thransferring data, and wouldn't they realign the CSS to look a lot better if other things like the clones moved where they belong?

As for the Event Matches line, there's a chant for Nana and Popo in the files too. I don't think it means anything as of now. Perhaps Event Matches aren't there, unless you link the two games? Who knows. Maybe event matches don't exist on the Wii U version but will at some point on the 3ds?

Even if Tower of Smash isn't real, I'm still gonna hold out hope for Ridley/Mewtwo. Maybe I'm too optimistic, or just crazy. Probably both.
The 4 colors are simply players 5 6 7 8

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
This bothers me more than anything else. Those two characters have been strongly hinted at in previous trailers (along with Metalface, Dark Pit, and Mr. Game and Watch, the latter two having made it in but also being the only two characters we saw in full detail without a hard confirmation). Metalface is most likely a boss, but the fact that Ridley was also teased with a shadow concerns me as it does make it seem more likely that Ridley is a boss... Lastly - and most frustratingly - there have been analyses of Greninja's trailer that indicate the Pokemon we saw at first wasn't Greninja, and more closely resembled Mewtwo all the way up until it started using Water Shuriken. The suggestion of Mewtwo's appearance was not an accident.

Why? Why would Sakurai do this if they weren't playable? No matter how you slice it, Nintendo is a company that makes money, and teasing your customers with something they're not going to get is a terrible business decision. The facts we do have don't make any sense.
I agree with your points on Mewtwo somewhat. Ridley, however I believe would have been shown by now if there isn't something more to his role. I can't see why Sakurai would purposely bring up Ridley by strong implication without giving us any solid information or details on what he does whatsoever. Another thing that seems downright strange to me is the lack of DK content. We've so far seen no new stage for the series, and as far as we know, no newcomers. No new items. No new assist trophies. Nothing. Even after two very successful games as a reboot for the franchise. One thing that seems the most suspicious to me is about alternate costumes. If Olimar has Alph, Marth was meant to have Lucina, Bowser Jr. has the Koopalings, then why doesn't Diddy get at least a Dixie alt? This is seems strange to me and leads me to believe that we'll most likely get her, Mewtwo, and Ridley in the Wii U version as arguably the most hypeworthy and somewhat controversial characters.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
To what stage are you referring?
Great Cave Offensive I imagine. I don't think the level itself has been officially named yet.

Listening to those announcer voice clips. Are some of them (Event Match and Tourney) the exact same clips from Brawl, or are these new? The announcer in SSB4 rerecorded every line in this game.

I'm leaning towards new since it matches his SSB4 announcer tone much more than Brawl's

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom