• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tourney Locator Tech Of The Week: Perfect Parry Dodge OS

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
A great way to become better in Smash is to understand all available options and be a master of tech. Being able to work quickly out of shield can makes punishes that much better was well. One Smash in partnership Tourney Locator have worked together to produce the Tech of The Week series for a good while now and this week they are here to present Tech #18: Perfect Parry Dodge OS.

Viewers may have noticed the techs are not presented in order. This is because all of the techs to be shared are a part of the One Smash Tech Tree. This makes each video feed of the others, showing how each tech works together to form a complete game. Some other videos in the series include Fast Fall Break, Snap Back and Slow Run. A full playlist is available here so be sure to check these out to get the full idea of the One Smash Tech Tree.

SmashCapps hopes that these videos help players up their games to the next level. To keep up with his own adventures training in Smash follow him on Twitter.

Smash Ace
inb4 comments about mindblowing tech

Me 1 week ago:
MINDBLOWING TECH

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
(btw this also works in PM/Melee, I often option select between wavedash back and dtilt out of shield)

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
As useful as these techs are, I wish they wouldn't try to give them fancy names. Perfect Parry, Prattack, Hip Check, it's a little silly. Just call them what they are.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
As useful as these techs are, I wish they wouldn't try to give them fancy names. Perfect Parry, Prattack, Hip Check, it's a little silly. Just call them what they are.
I think I sorta get the video but I am still alittle confused. I wish it was summarized in a simple way. Are the moves just dodge when attacked and press shield, is that basically what this is ?

I also still dont get what a perfect parry is versus a perfect shield.

Last edited:

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Perfect Shield is already a thing. Parry is already a widely known concept in fighting games and real world combat. This is the combination of the two... Perfect + Parry.

Pratt falls are already a thing in the Smash lexicon. Prattack is a combination of Pratt fall and attack. So... Prattack.

This is about as straightforward of a name as it gets.

Also, these names aren't fancy. They're useful for driving the concept home. They're thematically consistent and short. The Smash community (and every other non-super-strict-scientific-community) gives names like this for their events, techniques, etc.

It's not silly. It's how the world works.

Did you watch parts 1 and 2 of this video series?

Last edited:

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
(btw this also works in PM/Melee, I often option select between wavedash back and dtilt out of shield)
Do you mean after a perfect shield or what?

I'm not sure how what you described is an option select.

rp17000

Smash Cadet
NNID
rp17000
A perfect parry is just when you do something immediately after a perfect shield. Like a perfect shield than an attack, or a perfect shield than a grab, etc.

Last edited:

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Oh i see, thank you for the reply
A perfect parry is just when you do something immediately after a perfect shield. Like a perfect shield than an attack, or a perfect shield than a grab, etc.
oh i see, thank you for the reply, this series is great, still trying to pick up on things, I did watch the first 2 aswell kirbyI just get alittle lost sometimes. Again great videos though

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
also Is there a series out there that covers how to escape from a grab immediately or quickly? I cant find any tutorials on that topic.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Do you mean after a perfect shield or what?

I'm not sure how what you described is an option select.
yup, after a perfect shield. During a perfect shield's release, you can input attacks, while during a normal shield's release, you can only input jumps. So you press and release shield immediately, then input an attack and a wavedash in quick succession. If you landed the perfect shield the attack comes out, else the wavedash comes out and you can gtfo.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Pratt falls are already a thing in the Smash lexicon. Prattack is a combination of Pratt fall and attack. So... Prattack.
It is Smash lingo but it's not the correct smash lingo. Pratfalling is what we call tripping, but prattacking has nothing to do with tripping.

Parry is already a widely known concept in fighting games and real world combat. This is the combination of the two... Perfect + Parry.
Calling it perfect parrying isn't necessarily wrong but I feel it just makes it a bit confusing. Parry isn't a term native to smash, so if you tell someone that they should "perfect parry" your attack, they probably won't understand what you mean. However, if you gave it a name like "perfect shield attack," or just said "attack out of perfect shield" it'd be easier to convey since attacking is generally the term we use in this game.

DigitalAtom6

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DigitalAtom6
3DS FC
1864-9481-4247
Looking at this means I have some more training hours in play that probably won't work well on for glory, since this has to be frame perfect.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
It is Smash lingo but it's not the correct smash lingo. Pratfalling is what we call tripping, but prattacking has nothing to do with tripping.
So... Pratt is a word for "butt".
In melee, there is a bonus award for pratfaller, which is given to players who do not tech AND land on their backside.
Prattacks in Smash4 are moves that when used, cause the opponent to slide off platforms and fall on their backside in an untechable state.

So it all fits really. A Pratfall isn't just tripping but what tripping entails, e.g. falling on your butt.

Calling it perfect parrying isn't necessarily wrong but I feel it just makes it a bit confusing. However, if you gave it a name like "perfect shield attack," or just said "attack out of perfect shield" it'd be easier to convey since attacking is generally the term we use in this game.
I agree. Learning new things isn't always easy for a variety of reasons. "attack out of perfect shield" is a great description for it, but not a very good term/phrase. It's better, I think, for a phrase to be snappy and easy to say/remember. It's also helpful to distinguish from OOS options like grab, roll, spot dodge, and jump. These actions do not count as perfect parry moves because they always cancel the shield time.

Looking at this means I have some more training hours in play that probably won't work well on for glory, since this has to be frame perfect.
If you replace yoru normal rolling and spot dodging habits with these OSs, you can get them even on For Glory.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I really enjoy the work you put into this series. Also recently the tech has been very useful (At least for me). Keep up the good work!

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
No wonder there's so many "techs" in their tech tree, if they keep releasing "Perfect Parry + (Move)" videos. Talking about Perfect Parrying is fine, but if you have to make a half dozen videos telling what options you can pick from it, you're doing something wrong.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman

Calling it perfect parrying isn't necessarily wrong but I feel it just makes it a bit confusing. Parry isn't a term native to smash, so if you tell someone that they should "perfect parry" your attack, they probably won't understand what you mean. However, if you gave it a name like "perfect shield attack," or just said "attack out of perfect shield" it'd be easier to convey since attacking is generally the term we use in this game.
I agree with Kirby and Jehtt for different reason. I feel its easier to understand because you dont need any additional information when you say "perfect shield attack". Its just easy to remember, no new words to learn. I get it right away and makes things less confusing. But if you want to make the saying smaller and relate to other games universally than I get why perfect parry would make sense aswell. Once you understand what it is, its simple to remember.

Last edited:

yackamajez

Smash Rookie
NNID
yackamajez
wow I'm probably gonna have to watch this a few more times to comprehend it

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
No wonder there's so many "techs" in their tech tree, if they keep releasing "Perfect Parry + (Move)" videos. Talking about Perfect Parrying is fine, but if you have to make a half dozen videos telling what options you can pick from it, you're doing something wrong.
Each of these OS techniques require a different input string and a different understanding of the game.

If I had even the tiniest bit of confidence that people could understand the content of these videos in a more condensed form, I would have named them all the same thing and have been done much earlier.

Your comment isn't very well thought out or very nice. I appreciate the feedback, but next time, try to work with us rather than coming across so antagonistic.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Each of these OS techniques require a different input string and a different understanding of the game.

If I had even the tiniest bit of confidence that people could understand the content of these videos in a more condensed form, I would have named them all the same thing and have been done much earlier.

Your comment isn't very well thought out or very nice. I appreciate the feedback, but next time, try to work with us rather than coming across so antagonistic.
Aight. Watch a video on moonwalking or shield dropping or something. I don't think anyone has followed up with "Shield drop uair", "Shield drop DJ fair" and so on. (I call the latter the "SDJF".) This is because that techniques that require within 3 frames of perfect input aren't advertised to people who don't know what they can do from where. On top of that, the initial video explains what state it puts you in, so as to assume what can be performed from it. If you have no confidence that people could understand your video, you're doing something wrong. Once you're done, someone will demonstrate "your" "tech" (both these terms are sketchy in this sense) in a quick, concise, 15 minute video.

However, while I have the chance, my biggest recommendation is to look up """"your tech"""" beforehand. None of these have been original, and been here since Brawl days (Some pre brawl), yet named different. It would be fine if you just said "Tech #69, X, originally called Y in Brawl, is when..."

This is just making videos for the lowest common denominator, hoping for page views and subscriptions, while creating false hype for your "skill tree".

chrispz

Smash Rookie
Punpun is right. If you make a video for every single option out of "Perfect Shield," you may as well make a video for every option out of wallteching or pivoting. It would've been more than sufficient to make one video about powershielding and show every option, which is basically everything available in a neutral ground state. You're heavily underestimating your viewers if you doubt they could comprehend something that simple. Blunt constructive criticism =/= antagonism.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
Blunt constructive criticism =/= antagonism.
Being blunt also doesn't necessarily equate to useful criticism either. It's pretty clear by the comments on most of these videos here and on their youtube videos that most people don't know most of these techniques, and that, even with this level of explanation that not everyone immediately gets the execution of the purpose of the technique. So, obviously some people are getting quite a bit out of the amount presented.

Also, comparing several very circumstantial uses of a sub-technique as being the same as teaching every single way to wall-tech is a ridiculous amount of false equivalence. While the videos and techs have been short, each out of shield option has had very specific purposes to them. This Option Select may be more defensive, but it doesn't get a free grab like the last one, and grabs are deadly in this game.

You COULD sum all of this information up with a very quick video, but your audience would have a low retention rate, and the point of a tutorial video is to teach, not to show off how much you know. Just because one explanation clicks instantly for you, doesn't mean it'll click for every viewer. That's why a good educational video tries to engage as many different types of learners as possible through repetition, audio cues, visuals, and button inputs on screen.

So, yeah. I don't the criticism you guys offered is a whole lot more than oddly vitrolic nitpicking. If you really think your advice is worthwhile, you can bother to be nice about it instead of intentionally wording it aggressively. But hey. That's just some blunt criticism about your constructive criticism.

luke_ario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lukeario13
When you go frame perfect in smash 4: ALL THESE SQUARES MAKE A CIRCLE. ALL THESE SQUARES MAKE A CIRCLE. ALL THESE SQUARES MAKE A CIRCLE. ALL THESE SQUARES MAKE A CIRCLE.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
so, a third option out of a perfect parry, considering how strict the timing is, I suppose I'm not surprised not a whole lot of people are implementing this in tournament...

very few others from this series I don't see much of, either, Hip check I've recently been seeing, but that's about all I recall.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well said, DairunCates.

Filosafer, your comments and "criticism" will be ignored.

Top Bottom