• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Tips - Reward or Loss Pressure

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I've seen this many times. Players with a lot of potential and skill simply play different when they're playing against a well established top player or when they're in the big stage in front of everyone. They can see victory, because it's right in front of them. Yet, when it comes down to performing when they really want to... they just don't. They play sloppy, overly defensive, sluggish, get themselves cornered often and play a more reactive style rather than an active one. They don't take the initiate anymore, but just hope for their opponent to make mistakes. However, against a top player, you don't wait for them to make a mistake in order to beat them. You make them make a mistake. In this article I will go over the different aspects that cause this and ways to solve them from my experience, since I used to be really vulnerable in this aspect, so I'd like to help others after I managed to improve at it.

Forget about the reward

Who wouldn't want one of these?

Imagine you're in Grand Finals at MLG. Just for a bit, put yourself in that position. What is the first thing that comes to your mind? Is it the prize money? Is it the glory? The fame? Most likely, they are. Or some type of accomplishment from -if you won that-. However, are you actually thinking on how to win the set you're about to play? Was that the -very first- thought you had in your mind? Chances are, it was not. Most of the time, human behavior tends to focus in results and what that can change for them if that result became a reality rather than how to accomplish aforementioned result. While this is a simple life advice that sounds easy, it is actually a very powerful one: Set a goal for yourself, and after that, focus every resource in accomplishing that goal. Forget about how awesome accomplishing said goal would be -especially during a tournament set, when you're one step away from achieving this goal- because it often does two things:

1.- Makes you realize what is at stake, and how close you are. And it only depends on how you perform. Recognizing this will add pressure on you, meaning that you will probably get nervous. Getting nervous sucks. Affects your play tremendously in almost every way. We all know about this feeling, you just don't want to have it while playing. The more experience you have, the weaker it is. But it's always there in some way. Even if you truly don't feel nervous when playing, there's still the nervousness that comes of what would happen if you lose. It gets a bit more complicated after that, since it depends on the individual and how they value what's around them. But, the bottom line is that you don't want to have this feeling, so focusing thought process in it is useless. Also:

2.- You're using a significant part of your energy -that should be used to develop a strategy to win your upcoming set- into situational awareness that only leads to you getting nervous.

As you can see, while the reward can be your motivation to play, at the same time, it's a double edged sword. My personal advice in this situation is to always focus on achieving the win, and nothing else. After it's all over, you can detach yourself from this 'tournament mode' and enjoy and/or reflect on what you accomplished. Not before, not during but after. I've found a lot of success with this strategy and most of my big wins use this thought process to be accomplished.

It's always a new opportunity

CT EMP Mew2King right after winning The Big House 3. He used to lose to Jigglypuff for years. Mental blocks can be powerful if you let them grow.

It's easy to throw the towel. Call it quits. Say it's impossible, or use the word 'No' in general. What's difficult is trying your hardest and believing in yourself when times are hard. Smash is no different and in fact I thought of that line while thinking about Smash!

When you lose to someone, two things can happen: You either get more motivation to beat them, or you get discouraged whenever playing that player again. You get down on yourself, and you think that you have a disadvantage when facing that player again. I'm talking about a mental block.

Fellow team member, CT EMP Mew2King, used to have mental blocks in the past. First, it was Mango, then Jigglypuff, and in Brawl it was Diddy Kong and then Olimar. But why would a player of his caliber have a mental block and basically, defeat himself before even playing the matches? Isn't he able.. of just getting past these obstacles? He sure is and there's no doubt about it. In fact, there's only one question here, and it's not towards this situation, but to you. Yes, you, the reader. But before you answer, think about what I really mean with my question:

Are you any different from Mew2King?

You're not. You're both human beings with tons of capabilities and potential. And this is exactly my point: There's no difference between players based on their skilled level. We're all human, and we have weaknesses. But humans adapt pretty well, we've been doing it for a while now. So how do we adapt here? Well, from what Mew2King told me in person 'I just stopped caring about losing' which brings us back to my first point: He stopped caring about what could of happened if he lost and/or won and started only focusing in how to win. He started thinking about the present, not the future or the past. That's also a great life lesson. It sounds very simple, and it really is if you think about it, though, it's hard to always apply. It takes time, experience and effort. But I believe in you.

CT ZeRo is a professional Smash Bros player over at Clashtournaments who enjoys reading, writing, content production and sometimes anime. You can contact him on twitter @CT_ZeRo

Last edited:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
What you've written about really reminds me of a book that a friend recommended to me called 'The Inner Game of Tennis by Timothy Gallwey' (free PDF) and it goes over pretty much the same thing about mental blocks but in the context of Tennis. It's a really good read and has helped me improve my mental attitude in general. :)

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
I think this is happening to me. When I play my friends online I kinda get sluggish and nervous. I hesitate when I do certain things (Ex: Wavedashing to ledge or trying to keep opponent from returning to stage). Not to mention I get a pretty crappy feeling when I lose, especially in dittos I know I could easily win. I even said I was gonna quit multiple times. But now looking at this article it's nice to know that others are experiencing the same problem. That's why when I play I'm gonna start focusing on winning and trying to be less hesitant. Thank you for making this article I really appreciate it.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Excellent article, getting into the psychological part of the game. Heck, I could really use this myself.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Very nice article. After all, Mental is to physical is 3 is to 1.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
.They play sloppy, overly defensive, sluggish, get themselves cornered often and play a more reactive style rather than an active one. They don't take the initiate anymore, but just hope for their opponent to make mistakes.
I don't understand this, I'm seeing completely opposite problems when watching streams of top players in tight situations. When players get antsy they tend to take too much initiative. When foxes play against puffs that are in kill percents, you see them throwing out upsmashes and get punished for it. M2K especially stopped playing reactively enough vs hbox in the past. Marths tend to start throwing out fsmashes and other moves at every single opportunity.

I think one should always be as reactive possible when you play, but maybe you use the word with different meaning or something. Especially if the situation is tight for both players, playing as reactive as possible is very good, since your opponent is more likely to make mistakes you can take advantage of.

I give you that many players start playing too evasively and yield stage too easily because they are afraid of confronting the enemy.

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
Hit the nail right on the head. Thank you.
I get so nervous when I play and this article is exactly what I needed to open my eyes. When I try to go up against say, Denti or Lunchables in PM, my heart just starts pounding because I am thinking, "OMG I cannot believe I made it this far into bracket, these guys are in the top ten in DFW what am I going to do?" I focus too much on the opponent being such a high rank and not enough on the game; causing my abilities to crumble. Sethlon I think was alluding to this when he told me that if I got rid of "tournament jitters," I would be a force to be reckoned with. I finally understand what he meant.

Thank you again for the article.

Last edited:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I didn't do that this week. Really is the same way I think though. It's just another smasher. Focus on one game, one goal. Take it one step at a time. Set small goals. Focus on what's in front of you. Great read. This is a good mindset to be in for Smash.

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
Very awesome read. I'm still transitioning into that mindset. I used to get extremely nervous/anxious but I am doing much better about it now. I feel that now I am able to play effectively without breaking my nerves when I go up against strangers.

_waffles

Smash Rookie
NNID
xXKuppaXx
3DS FC
3780-9487-0614
This is indeed, an excellent article ZeRo! Talking about the psychological part of the game helps me a lot now! I will transition this into my mindset.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
doesnt help with people screaming all the time either lol music is a good way to tune it all out

Last edited:

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Mindset really is absurdly important, especially the part regarding mental blocks. There are plenty of people I go back and forth with in friendlies who I consistently beat in tournament simply because they get in their own head. They've convinced themselves they can't play under stress and that they'll lose to me because they lost last time.
I honestly think that when you're in the situation mentioned earlier in the article, playing against an established player far in bracket, it's really good to let that sink in a little bit, although not too much. Acknowledging that you're probably not going to win without doing something risky is a pretty good mindset to have in this situation, because it tends to be right, although you should be careful not to overestimate your opponent and switch into this mindset for no reason. You know all that time you spent theory-crafting edgeguards and setups? Time to test those out. Not necessarily the 'useful tricks' that you can't quite do consistently (If you're iffy on doing Falco's ledgehop double laser, don't do it). More like intentionally mispacing a move while the enemy Marth is on the ledge in order to bait out a ledgehop Fair, crouch cancel it, then punish for the kill.

BIGSmeez

Smash Cadet
NNID
BIGSmeez
3DS FC
0920-1652-8184
I really enjoy reading any article zero puts out, keep up the good work brother and keep encouraging smashers to get better!! We do appreciate it more than you may know!

ToastyDaMosty

Smash Rookie
NNID
ToastyDaMosty
The mindset of how a player plays is extremely important, it determines their play style for that match and by default can make them either very predictable in some cases, not so much others

It's good that you mention M2K, always going for the best possible options and getting punished just because Puff for once actually were looking to capitalize on letting him do what he does, because they know he doesn't want to take any damage when approaching them.

Getting beat in such a laid back passion would've certainly put a mental block on anyone, ESPECIALLY someone like M2K. Someone who studies these games as much he does and of course with the added autism.

It's good to see him though, finally after so long be able to conquer both them and a lot of other challenges he faces, despite all the negative stuff he gets he's still a nice guy deep down. He's changed a lot.

Top Bottom