• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament in Lancaster PA September 8, Labor Day Weekend

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Somebody get a whiteboard or something so we can track these matches.

Komosutro, you should set apart one or two TV's for money matches and ranking matches.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i won't do MM's but i will do "serious sets" (one per person of course) with people who want to score easy wins that count towards rankings

and elk matches of course

D

Deleted member

just remember

a money match (or even a single set that you both agree to count on for more) would be worth more for rankings purposes than an hour of friendlies
You really should determine what you're going to base the rankings off of this time around, and please don't make it the same people who have been playing for 1 year ranking people straight off the results list cause that would somehow be more lame than the first list.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
PA has a choice for rankings:

option 1: base rankings on some sort of point system based on tourney/mm results
option 2: don't do rankings

panel is good for nothing because no one respects anyone else's opinion so we either make it 100% concrete and indisputable or we can't have something.

Note that this does not represent my personal views on how a ranking should occur, it's just my opinion on the only way that we can avoid ******** amounts of drama on boards.

vagabond

Smash Apprentice
15 person round robin = (15*16)/2 = 120 sets of matches. Good luck with that. Thank you Gauss making that much easier than adding 15 numbers. </nerd math>
However impractical it may be, RR is the way to go. If people bring enough setups though, we could possibly do RR during the regular tournament with TVs dedicated to each. It would probably get really confusing though. :ohwell:

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Pakman's math is off, it's 15*14/2 = 105 matches.

There are also extra difficulties involved with trying this at this tournament:

1. Not everyone on the list will be there.
2. People who are not currently on the list will need to be involved too.
3. We're also running a double elim tournament at this thing.

The growth of matches with the extra people in a round robin is also pretty **** substantial. Assuming only 20 people play for rankings (which I think is an underestimate), we have (20 * 19)/2 = 190 matches. lets say we have 5 setups devoted to this round robin all day with no down time and 15 minutes allocated per match, that would require (190 * 15) / 5 = 570 minutes = 9.5 hours. If it's as many as 25 people, it comes out to 12 hours, and all of this is assuming the most wonderfully organized schedule of matches possible...

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Pakman's math is off, it's 15*14/2 = 105 matches.
<wrong>Gaussian summation is (n*(n+1))/2. Therefore YOUR math is incorrect. But that makes your point even more poignant because there are more matches which means more time.</wrong>

see post below.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Gaussian summation is (n*(n+1))/2. Therefore YOUR math is incorrect. But that makes your point even more poignant because there are more matches which means more time.
Think about a smaller example:

5 Man Round Robin Tournament:

1 v 2
1 v 3
1 v 4
1 v 5
2 v 3
2 v 4
2 v 5
3 v 4
3 v 5
4 v 5
--------
10 matches

By your math (5 * 6)/2 = 15 matches. (Incorrect)
My math (5 * 4)/2 = 10 matches. (Correct)
QED

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Think about a smaller example:

5 Man Round Robin Tournament:

1 v 2
1 v 3
1 v 4
1 v 5
2 v 3
2 v 4
2 v 5
3 v 4
3 v 5
4 v 5
--------
10 matches

By your math (5 * 6)/2 = 15 matches. (Incorrect)
My math (5 * 4)/2 = 10 matches. (Correct)
QED
Crap. I forgot we were counting pairs not doing a summation (The math is still similar). You are/were right. There are 15 players but since a player cannot play him/herself the number calculated should be one less than the number of players. Therefore n=14 so: (n*(n+1))/2 is 14*15/2.

I apologize.

if players could play themselves my math would totally be right.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
math is sweet.

yes, if we wished to hook up 2 wavebird inputs onto the same channel and play ourselves once for good measure, your math would be totally right :p. It's actually barely relevant at all though. All that matters is that this would take a hell of a lot of time to do.

ps. Props for remembering the term "Gaussian summation", I've always been terrible at remembering math terms.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I am so out of practice with my Math. Stupid CO-OP.

I was a Mathlete in highschool. You can make fun of me all you want but keep in mind that we are all posting in a video game tournament thread.

xyt

Smash Lord
hmm.. if do the round robin that i mentioned.. which is 2 matches per set..
it wouldn't take 15minutes per set... probably 10 min. per set at most...
that probably still amounts to A LONG TIME.. but at least it would be a shorter long time?
shrugs... just trying to help..

SLAYERCoLdKiLr

Smash Journeyman
Yo guys, I Live about 20 mins outside Philly in Abington, PA. I can get to philly, i can get to lancaster, i can go anywhere close to philly to practice. My AIM screenname is Coldkilr1000 and my cell is on my profile. I can't host a game, but I do have a car so I can make it. I'll bring those little delicious Curly bbq fritos that Everyone loves.

xyt

Smash Lord
Yo guys, I Live about 20 mins outside Philly in Abington, PA. I can get to philly, i can get to lancaster, i can go anywhere close to philly to practice. My AIM screenname is Coldkilr1000 and my cell is on my profile. I can't host a game, but I do have a car so I can make it. I'll bring those little delicious Curly bbq fritos that Everyone loves.
ooh... what are those? O_O)...??

Top Bottom