• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toughest Match-Up

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
So, who is the hardest character for Link to fight against? I personally hate ditto matches the most. I also dislike playing against Marth.

Fireblaze008

Smash Rookie
I also hate dittos. But the one I have .the most trouble with is snake. I have this guy on my Friend List that i can never beat as snake. However when he uses anyone else he gets smoked, usually 2 stocked. Snake just has really powerful moves and a lot of priority. Also his Ftilt comes out super fast and kills very quickly.

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
Marth is the easiest because he has no projectiles and must close in to hit you. One of the easiest, you're probably all just really bad spammers.
One of the problems might be that a good Marth knows how to hit away your boomerang. So it's not like ZOMG PROJECTILES MARTH DIES LOL. But I agree, Marth isn't his toughest match.

How about Meta Knight? Bloody immune to your projectiles when he's using the tornado or sideB. Only reliable thing I've found is the Bomb.

Edit: I suck with the zair, so that might make it more manageable.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Metaknight, Pit, TL,
anyone that can shut down your spam game, edgeguard you, and have priority over your life <_<

Izaw

Smash Ace
Toon Link 0.0, no doubt. Hate him.

Sometimes its just bair, bair, bair, dair kill. -.-

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
I think Pit and Link make for decent matches, through if you hit Link with your fsmash when Link has high dmg, it can be bad for Link.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
Anyone that have good jumps are a good candidate to screw Link over recovering.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Who ruins his spam game?
T.Link, DDD, Pit, Metaknight.. Some others I think, but I haven't played against many of them that are good.

Falco can shut down your spam with lasers and his reflector, but I don't think he's a hard match up.. He's terribly easy to edgeguard.

Olimar can outspam you.. It doesn't really shut down YOUR spam, but it is bothersome. If arrows can't stop him, you're going to have to approach him, which is bad for Link. D-smash is good against Pikmin, at the very least.

Deva

Smash Lord
Alright, honestly, not trying to sound like I'm all that, but coming from someone who plays in tournaments quite often,

Metaknight is easily Link's hardest matchup. And I mean a good one. Not the ones that spam b moves all day, cuz all you have to do is have a bomb in hand. I'm talking about the ones that combo out of every hit with an up-b and gimp kill like crazy. Now, I've beaten the best MKs in the region in tournament, so it's not impossible, but it was definately the match where I felt like I was at the largest disadvantage.

Snake would be next. His tilts just have way too much priority and speed. and his spam game with grenades is really good too. You really have to be good with spacing in this matchup. And abusing the zair.

After that actually, Link does fine as long as you play him right. Like, even agains Tl, you can out spam if you FHDA and make sure to space it right. you jump over the shda and hit him with the ark of your arrow. and the other projectiles are the same, cept you arrows travel faster and you have a better bomb. zair spacing helps immensly in this matchup as well. Overall, Link can spam just as well as anyone else if you do it right. Make sure to arrow cancel everything, bomb to arrow cancel is a really good one. and I can't stress enough how much you should properly abuse zair spacing. It's what makes him playable at higher levels of play.

D

Deleted member

deva is right (he's 3 stocked a MK so you should all bow down lol)

i also think kirby is a hard match because he can do the wall in this game and his dair seals the deal when it comes to recovery. his fsmash is really fast and his combos out of throws are really annoying.

imo kirby is just as hard as MK

Tubs_linkstar

Smash Rookie
^ i agree kirby dair can be a real pain, meta still seems a lil harder to fight though. hard to space against the short guys plus meta can fight so well off the stage ... pretty much were link is screwed. links recovery jsut doesnt cut it against meta.

Deva

Smash Lord
Lol, that meta was so bad, but still,

Kirby isn't that bad. I beat Timmy's kirby in a couple crew battles. The throw combos are a pain, and dair is gay too, but he isn't fast, so approaching Link is difficult. He's really easy to space too. Just as long as you're DIing properly, Link usually doesn't have a problem with recovery.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
I had the chance to play a number of ROBs with Link this weekend in tourney, and I'd say it's a pretty neutral matchup. One of them got to 4th place in the tournament as well. In any case, ROB's continuous up-B to attack game is pretty vicious versus Link. If caught unluckily, Link can get gimped or pummeled. Not to mention that ROB has a pretty weird glide-toss game. But aside from that though, stealing the gyro leads some interesting situations for Link with the Zair. Read the match-up chart thread for my other thoughts on ROB.

As for Wolf, I've heard a lot of Wolf players say Link is easy for them. I haven't seen why yet, but I also haven't played any good Wolfs. He doesn't seem as unforgiving as Falco would be, but Wolf is indeed heavier than both Fox and Falco.

Deva

Smash Lord
Rob's annoying, but overall an even matchup, just remembe to take his gyro when you get the chance. ANd wolf isn't that bad either. You can out spam him. And his smashes have really good range, but just stay back and space him.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
Lucario is a real beast against Link. His aerial juggle can seriously **** Link off the edge and far off so easily that it is just sad. I had done well versus a lot of Lucarios, so I thought it was preposterous that Link would be less than neutral, or without an advantage versus Lucario. And then I played a really fantastic Lucario. I think when Lucario players advance up to that guy's level, Link players should find a counterpick.

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
^ i agree kirby dair can be a real pain, meta still seems a lil harder to fight though. hard to space against the short guys plus meta can fight so well off the stage ... pretty much were link is screwed. links recovery jsut doesnt cut it against meta.
I think all small characters in general are a tough match-up for Link

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
Yea, Lucas/ness is pretty neutral for Link.

Jiggly? I dunno. I haven't even played a CPU Jiggly one on one yet.

But I know Kirby and short characters always have an advantage somehow. Especially against arrows/boomerangs, etc.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
What about Squirtle and/or Pokemon Trainer in general?

I have the most trouble with Squirtle though, just cause he's so freakin fast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated since I have to play a pretty good PT player in the next couple days at my school's tournament....

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
Oh yea Squirtle! Thhat's who I was thinking of.

All those tiny/short characters give me problems with Link.

Come to think of it, they give my Ganondorf problems, and sometimes Ike too. lol

Tubs_linkstar

Smash Rookie
yea as said above ROB is neutral .. the other day i played against a fantastic ROB and got beat pretty bad. the gyro drop can mess up an upB recovery as well as clawshot recovery. laser mind games combod with gyro make it tough for link i suppose. today i 2 stocked a ROB and 1 stocked the same ROB later on .. so id go wih neutral. lucas n ness havent given me as much trouble as some of the shorter characters. fox is a tough match up for link .. he has good approach, speed, and shine spike can cripple .. even if it is brawl. only disadvantage to fox is that hes super light and easy to KO. zelda can be a pain .. but thats the case for alot of characters against that magical woman. dins fire isnt a problem in my opinion but the rest of her stuff gets annoying , i think i just have to get used to fighting her. no one else really comes to mind .. maybe lucario if ur havin problems kncokin him out.. upside against him is that u can dair off the edge while hes tryin to recover or just edge hog ol school

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Back to my question of Link vs PT, one thing I found useful against Ivysaur is that Link's zair can cancel/go through Ivy's razor leaf(side b?)....but Squirtle is more of a challenge to me.

Dieci

Smash Rookie
Rob's annoying, but overall an even matchup, just remembe to take his gyro when you get the chance. ANd wolf isn't that bad either. You can out spam him. And his smashes have really good range, but just stay back and space him.
No, you cannot out-spam Wolf. His blaster has at least as high rate a fire as a Link firing uncharged arrows - however, the thing with uncharged arrows is that they have a SHORT-range versus the medium range of Wolf's blaster. You can match his rate of fire (with uncharged arrows) or out-range him (with a charged arrow) but never both at the same time.

The boomerang has a lower rate of fire (because it has to return to Link), plus it doesn't cancel out Wolf's blaster fire - at best, you're looking at a mutual exchange here, where both Link and Wolf getting hit. The bomb, is both slow and has a terrible rate of fire versus Wolf's blaster.

Furthermore, Wolf has a reflector, enabling him to reflect any projectiles that get through his blaster fire. Reflector > Link's shield.

Against a good Wolf spammer, it's impossible to win against their spam game.

D

Deleted member

No, you cannot out-spam Wolf. His blaster has at least as high rate a fire as a Link firing uncharged arrows - however, the thing with uncharged arrows is that they have a SHORT-range versus the medium range of Wolf's blaster. You can match his rate of fire (with uncharged arrows) or out-range him (with a charged arrow) but never both at the same time.

The boomerang has a lower rate of fire (because it has to return to Link), plus it doesn't cancel out Wolf's blaster fire - at best, you're looking at a mutual exchange here, where both Link and Wolf getting hit. The bomb, is both slow and has a terrible rate of fire versus Wolf's blaster.

Furthermore, Wolf has a reflector, enabling him to reflect any projectiles that get through his blaster fire. Reflector > Link's shield.

Against a good Wolf spammer, it's impossible to win against their spam game.
LMAO

1 blaster against 3 items

i dont even use spam link and i know that wolf has no chance in this argument

if wolf tries to shine anything back the link user will probably just zair him and start the ****

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Well, I really wouldn't try outspamming him, but I would have a bomb ready, cancel his projectile spam with my arrow, than use the rang or bomb with a shorthop and throw them at him if he really wants to spam, personally that is what I do versus Lucas, and it works pretty well. Or Zair him after he is using his annoying projectiles and throw him immediately after you hit him with the zair.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Yeah, my brother does that a lot, I generally still win the projectile fights though, the only problems I have versus Lucas, is when he does his dsmash or his nair and it hits me after I dodge. Other than that, we generally split games.

I think Ness is a little easier for Link, since he can't really do much to stop your dodge game, other than the yoyo. I love dodging.

Dieci

Smash Rookie
LMAO

1 blaster against 3 items

i dont even use spam link and i know that wolf has no chance in this argument

if wolf tries to shine anything back the link user will probably just zair him and start the ****
The bad thing about trying to sound smart is that it only works against people dumber than you. Your argument is terrible - one, Link cannot use all 3 of his projectiles at the same time. Two, nobody was saying Wolf was gonna shine Link - the entire context of this discussion has been about the projectile spamming game - but rather Wolf using his reflector to REFLECT Link's projectiles back at him.

In terms of range, lag, projectile speed and rate of fire, none of Link's 3 projectiles have a definitive edge over Wolf's blaster. Link can eliminate lag by using arrow cancelling, but this sacrifices rate of fire. Link can increase rate of fire by using boomerang followed by arrows, but the boomerang does not cancel out Wolf's blaster and uncharged arrow shots have very short range. Only Link's arrow has a notable higher projectile speed than Wolf's lasers. Bombs do damage but have terrible lag, rate of fire and range.

If the Wolf player knows what he is doing, he can actually win the spam game against Link - at worst, the exchange would be even. It also doesn't help that Wolf's animation of him drawing out his gun also doubles as a melee attack, whereas Link drawing out his bow does no damage.

You may now exit the thread.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
I'm still highly skeptical about Link vs. Wolf. Does anyone have good video evidence one way or another? I've kept my eye out w hile browsing in numerous forums, but Wolf's "RAUL" scream will ring louder for now (joke) until someone kind show a good Wolf vs. a good Link.

Dieci

Smash Rookie
shut up.

why are you telling him to go when you're the wrong one? huh!
Cause he was condescendingly asserting his correctness despite not providing any kind of proof to back up that statement. Sorta like what you're doing.

I simply pointed out that Deva statement is wrong, and explained why. Now, if I pulled an Aurashade or ArkiveZero and responded to Deva by saying "LMAO, I'm not even a Link spammer and even I know this is wrong!" then yes, I deserve to shut up. Fortunately for me, that's the boat you and Arkive are in, not me.

Nonetheless I provided my rationale for believing that Link cannot out-spam a spamming Falco or Wolf. I eagerly await your brilliant reply.

Skiba D

Smash Rookie
Link vs Wolf huh? Let the smash n00b break this down real quick...

Wolf's MAIN advantages:
1)Wolf's main advantage over Link has to be his d-smash. It send link sprawling horizontally above 90% and techincally kills link since his horizontal recovery is piss-poor.

2)Wolf can outprioritize alot of his attacks.

3) Surprisingly Wolf's reflector can cause some major problems for link to, since not only it can reflect all of links ****, but it can stuff any retaliation that link might perform if hes heavily under pressure.

Links MAIN advantages:

1)Link's z-air eliminates all of Wolf's short-hop approaches. PERIOD.

2)Link can gimp the hell of Wolf thanks to gale-gaurding, D-air, and the instant hookshot off the edge.

With all things considered, I say this fight is about 50/50. Wolf his a lot of kill power on link, but Link can vicously shut down Wolf's aerial game and can gimp the **** out of em.

Top Bottom