• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toronto smashfest Aug 18

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
both days are fine with me too and Telpe hopefully my friends and i can come pick you up but we would be taking public transit
That'd be very nice, I'm cool with public transit. I'd appreciate it a lot. We should probably decide on a time. Anything is fine with me, just say when you're coming. Maybe meeting in the hotel aula or just outside if they won't allow you inside is a good idea. Any time is fine with me, just tell me when. I'd like to know by tomorrow if possible, though I can check the boards on Thursday before I leave as well.

Volasko

Smash Ace
Ok so Its just going to be lil ole me at this fest, Ill bring an extra setup so its not a big line up to play. Im coming right from work to go pick up this new GODLY computer(seriously... its too good IM ****ing AMPED!! haha) I just bought at Lawrence and Bathurst then Ill head right over to the fest. Ill be in nutty traffic so hopefully i can get there by 7.

Word....

alucard.ec

Smash Apprentice
noooooooooOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Sorry I got a little bit carried away, Im from south america (ecuador) and i will arrive this monday (21 ag) I wanted sooo bad to play Smash Over there...

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I'm SOOO down for this. but I'm worried that if I show up at 2 ther might not be enough room for me. Seems like alot of people are going. plus your friends. way more then 12 Id assume. So should I still come? Or is there a possibility that after travelling something like 1-1-1/2 hours uptown I'd not be able to get in?

ANNND. Wes, Tomorrow, Wednesday; Kio is home all day so I'm goin over. You should come, NNR crew practice.

ANNND. Volasko. I need your number and msn dood. I have a cell. annnd I've been going to NNRs house alot lately. You should come by for some good smashing. Tomorrow you should drop by as well. Sometime between 11am -8pm.

Cell it. (416) 877 5704.

Volasko

Smash Ace
Aight so Brando is going to make it to this also. We would be showing up later though. Probably around 7 or so. Is this someones house, or is it some rented out room? How many TV's do we plan on having?

Raynex: If u need to get a hold of me (905 334-8340) I work 9-5 weekdays until next next week when I dont got **** to do until school starts back up.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
Guys, it's 11 PM here and I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon. I don't want to sound rude, but could we please settle on a time? Or can anyone even come meet up with me? I don't care who, I don't care what time, you decide and tell me! It starts at 2 PM I guess, so... 1 PM? 2 PM? 3 PM? Please answer as soon as possible, thank you!

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
That's perfectly fine, like I said it doesn't matter to me what time. So, hotel aula or just outside? I don't know who you are, but I'm 1.80 meter tall myself (I think that's 6 feet), more skinny than fat, I have dark brown hair and round glasses and look a lot like Harry Potter, heh. I'll quickly check the boards before going to the airport tomorrow, so if you have anything more to add I'll see it. See ya on Friday then, thanks a bunch!

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Dam its on the 18? dam i cant until 21 lmao cause iam in vacation oh well have fun lmao

Volasko

Smash Ace
Ehh is scintilattedseed even around.... it would be nice to see some feedback as he is the one having people over lol
It seems like there is gonna be more people that u expected... is this going to be a problem??

purpL

Smash Cadet
eh i have an interview friday so i cant make it with my friend but i guess that turns out well for you seeing there are enuf people coming, well enjoy and do tell me more about the tournament on the 26th is. is it in T.O.?

purpL

Smash Cadet
well can u send me the forum link or some info im interested and can we still sign up?

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
Well some people have canceled so I don't think it will be a problem that we have extra's. Delorted won't be there. I figured I can fit aroudn 15 people(maximum), but bi'm guessing about 13 if everybody here attends, so that's fine with me.

As for setups we will have two(unless someone brings an extra tv, and gamecube) which then changes things to 3.

If anybody needs any details or for anything urgent I will be on msn in teh morning at 11pm or later. See ya guys there. WAAAAH!!

Volasko

Smash Ace
If people can bring a quick setup that would make this event better as there wouldnt be as much waiting, ill be bringing my usual small TV and cube...

Jagg

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately I won't be able to bing my usual set-up since I'll be taking the subway and I really don't feel like carrying that crap with me. So someone else should step it up and bring one in my place.

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
same dude, same. I didn't know you actually came, so you were the one with the action replay. Aww, I should've introduced myself and asked for introductions.

And I wish I had more time to play everyone myself. There were a few people I didn't get to play, but I had fun all in all. Once volasko left the party was over, haha. :laugh:

I foudn something disheartening about my tv though, it has lag O_o. I wasn't aware of this until today, I didn't really get time to confirm it until I just tested it myself. I was immediately aware. Well, at least it answers some of my questions and will make it easier to practice.

Extra thanks to bernerd for coming early, owning me, and helping set the place up. And also thanks to volasko for going through the trouble of bringing the extra TV sets, and to everyone else for attending and making my first smashfest a success. I was almost doubting that you other guy would arrive after it hit 5.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
COOL MATCHES.

Scinty seedy = You got loads better. Yea, you actually have Marth combos, and you beat me in a dit. Seriously, i can't even do that fair to dair thing. You've improved a lot since I played you April

Volasko = You've gotten better too. I got a couple of games with you on that 1 t.v. while we were waiting for the team thing. Your a smarter player, but you have to work on your edgeguarding, and you seem to have this thing where you overthink match-ups. Like "I don't know how to play young link" or something like that. Your Marth, just fair 2 fsmash.......

But yea, GGs.

Blinding Snow dude = Yea your sheik is badass, and so is your peach. Iuno how you get so many dsmashes to hit. REally, its beyond me. But yea, your CCing is pro. How do you sleep at night? 0 - 65 on fox? like come on. :D

Marco = Nothing to say there, your always a challenge

Ambrose = Improved since that crew match. Your falco gave me some trouble. You just don't seem to pillar at all. You get the shines but always link to bair. Its prolly because of backward DIing lvl 9s. I had that habit too. But yea, besides following your shines, you've got skill. GGs

Wes = ICs, meh. You seem to have lost your intensity. For me anyway, I found it much harder facing your bairing fox and your falcon. The ICs are still difficult. But its a bit less tramautic then your crack fox. EAsier to usmash and shine. You've got potential though. GGs.

Telpe = Cool finding your hotel in the taxi. GGs, and hope to see you again sometime.

Lanowen = Didn't get to play you much I think. but if i did.....ggs

uhm. yea i don't think i left anyone out....BUt w/e. Shoutouts are good.

No matter how SMALL the event. Was awesome. I'm planning to do the same thing in my basement. Uhm. so check the boards often. l8err.

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
I'll definitely be sure to check that one out bernard. Ever since you told me about that TV lag that occured, I realized, "My goodness! What a difference in makes in my techincal skills!" I started practicing on my small tv with fox, and I see it all. I'm going to try to take down your fox with my marth next time ;). And I'm definitely going to improve my fox a lot more, to get beat by your mewtwo was just saddening, haha. You've got mindgames man, but I'm glad I took a beating, I'm definitely getting prepared for the tourney >=].

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
Back in Finland now, safe and sound. Awesome trip and very nice to meet you guys.

Lets see,

Wesley: Huge thanks for being cool and picking me up. We had a few matches, can't really remember what happened but it was fairly even I think.

Bernard: You are also mad cool, thanks for sharing the cab on the way back. Your Fox is really technical, good stuff. I went even with you Samus vs. Fox, the matchup is luckily the same as in PAL except that Samus has to watch out more for that usmash. You are also very good in teams, you were getting most of the KOs. Also, how the **** should one try to recover vs. your Fox with Fox/Falco? That shine always got me...

Volasko: Got some matches, mostly teams though. You're cool and play a solid Marth. You finally got the 1 win vs. me & Bernard in teams!

Tai: Thanks for hosting this! Hmmmmm I wonder if the switch to PAL we macde at the end gave me a huge psychological advantage or something? When we played NTSC I remember barely losing to your Marth, then in PAL I 3-stocked you, and 3-stocked you Sheik vs. Marth and beat your Falco with Bowser. That's weird, especially with the Sheik vs. Marth thing since I may have lost that one to you as well in NTSC.

Marco: You were the best player there as far as I could see. Falco is your main or? I think I got one win Samus vs. Falco, otherwise you were dominating me. I do have a John though, you were like the 2nd person I played and I wasn't warmed up yet so my DI was horrible, I was dying at around 90 % vs. Falco in some cases. Good stuff though, your playing style was weird but effective, you somehow kept combos going even when they were over.

Lanowen was the Samus player there I guess, good Samus anyway whoever it was, heh. Hmm it feels almost like I'm mixing 2 people into one here, confused. Maybe there was just 1 who was everywhere?

Then there were some people I played but whose names I never probably even heard. Good games to y'all.

Too bad we couldn't get that mini tourney done, I would have enjoyed it. I would say Toronto level, based in this smashfest, is about the same as Finland level. No-one I played in Toronto was nearly as good as the best players I've played (CJ, Ek, Nihonjin etc.) but that's fine, it's not too much fun getting 4-stocked all the time.

As for some general gameplay notes...

Marths space better and are harder to grab. This is definitely because of NTSC Sheik.

People seem to play high tiers more. This is probably also due to NTSC Sheik.

There was almost no Peach usage. This maybe because she has a harder time in NTSC vs. most top character.

People in general seem to DI worse than they could and should. I was living really long in several cases (after warming up), in a Fox ditto vs. Bernard I survived an fsmash at high % and as Falcon I lived to 272 % vs. Sheik once.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was the Samus that was playing on the small TV, and we played teams. I used the tag ANDY, and was the Jiggly that rest combo'd you that couple of times that one match.

And I was the guy with the AR.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
Yeah I thought that was you, you were everywhere then, hehe. I dunno if I have any real tips to give for your Samus... bomb jump only when you need to since most characters can intercept it somehow, and grab more if you can fit it into your playstyle. Otherwise you impressed me, you even use upB in a good way.

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I see you caught htat one. I was thinking the same. "How'd I lose so badly?" THen again, when I was playing I didn't really care to win unlike the other times we matched up, I played casually and carelessly. I think the larger psychological factor other than pal was because when i came back volasko was gone, and everybody was leaving so my mind was preoccupied with that loss at a chance to game some more. I was thinking I should've just ordered the food and came back instead of sitting down at that restuarant. I didn't expect everybody to leave so soon, but I guess it was because of the lack of extra tv sets.

Anyways, other than that, there's one major flaw I have to work on(and it moreso involves my health than anything) so I don't know how I'll be when I'm at full health. It'll be interesting to see how my potential leaks out.

As for your points about marth's spacing, haha, maybe our Marth's are just more challenging? ;) haha but I kid, shieks definitely a ***** to get grabbed by in the ntsc version, and she's just such a difficult match up because marth's at such a disadvantage. Gotta be aware of that down throw combo.

As for DI'ing, I think generally people don't DI well enough in Toronto, haha I heard bernard say, "you don't need the c-stick to DI", which made me think "huh? It can only help to learn it." But seeing as how I was missing my control stick DI because of it, I suppose he had a bit of a point. Gotta learn to use the two in conjunction though. But i'm getting better at it. Anybody know about how to semi-circle DI or smthing like that?

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
The only "semi circle DI" I can think of is inputting several Smash DIs, which can give nice results with moves with long hitlag. However, it's nigh on impossible to do. If you have questions about DI you could ask Doraki, I think he's still in the US but when he's back you can contact him either on the boards on the hub. He may be the person who knows the most about DI.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
TelpeFion: Reason why you didn't see a lot of Peaches is because the local smash scene doesn't have that many Peaches and not that much experience with them = (

Dice

Smash Lord
If anyone has any questions about DI ask chet. He doesn't do any of those fancy tricks and he has legendary DI.

Dice

Smash Lord
EC Canada is dominated by space animals, which makes falcon mains really sad :(

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
So waht's chet's username I'd like to know his secret on that "legendary DI". And nigh on impossible to do that semi-circle DI?! But I've seen Ken, captain jack and some other's who do it pretty often, well whenever htey predict htey're going to get hit in a certain direction at least and can't do anything about it but DI.

I leanred a little about it and it moreso invovled a quarter circle rather htan semi. Been trying it, and well-- i'm not sure if it's working.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
Aight I used to be able to do the semi-circle DI... it's not that hard to do on reaction, though you gotta be really fast.

I'm pretty sure the way semi-circle DI works is that it combines Instant CC and several Smash DIs at once. May be wrong, I haven't looked into this stuff at all.

Use this **** on Fox's Up Smash for sure; Up Smash is easily predicted (though you can't do anything else but DI) so you can live to ungodly percents.

Top Bottom