• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toronto smashfest Aug 18

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
UPDATED On Aug 13

Location: 2344 dufferin street. Directions on how to get there are on my other post below. Scroll down to see it.

Date: August 18 2006

The Policy is BYOC that is, Bring Your Own Controller, and if people don't mind sharing, that's totally fine.

Time: It starts at 2pm and ends at approximately 9-10pm.

We also have a guest from Finland arriving by the name of telpefion so for those of you who will be staying in a hotel downtown(details will be added later and refer to the thread as he will mention). Volunteer's for picking him up would be much appreciated.

Directions are:
From eglinton west station are to take the 32c, 32D or 32B bus to eglinton and dufferin(the bus runs along eglinton). It's about 5-15 mins bus ride depending on the traffic.

Walk south(the bus will leave you off at shoppers drug marts side) and cross the street south to the Esso gas station and then across again to the cornershop convenient store. Keep walking south and you'll see a nail salon called four season's nails(which my mother owns) and that's where my place is.

And it's in the basement of hte nail salon. I'd rather you take the back alleyway(you'll see it to your right as your walking south, since you may cause a commotion, and that's bad for business! haha I kid, but I think you'd be more comfortable, and I'd be more comfortable if you took the back alley way. There'll be a brown metal door in red and white with the store name on it, just knock hard, but not too hard.

My name's Tai btw, and I've attended the community centre NNR tourney, just to let you knwo I'm not too much of a stranger. Met some fellow smashes there, unfortunately i attended that one 8 hours late ^_^? I did manage to get a good hour or so of smashing though.

We're hooking things up on two television sets. One will be in the room next to the living room. I may need help moving the TV to the other room. We'll have so some snacks, and feel free to bring some cash if you want since there's quite a few places to eat around close by. Subway, MC'd's, shoppers drug mart, no frills, popeye's, etc.

Also, it would be nice if somebody could bring an action replay or some other device so we can play the PAL version. So speak up if you have one.

PS: My place can't hold more than 8 people. Undoubtedly some friends of mine will come so that could potentially make the croud a bit larger than 12.

Add me on msn if you feel the need to, it'd probably be in your best interest to. Tai_duong10@hotmail.com

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Well, there already are a lot of tournies going on in the Quebec region already (August 12: STYD and August 26: SFF. OC2 is also coming up so a couple top players are going away for awhile...although I believe the Toronto people will still be around). If you're planning to make a smashfest, first you should either PM all the NNR members (and maybe Ottawa/Missisauga(sp?) people and other Ontario regions), and ask them if they want to go to one of your smashfests. Hook up with them on a messenger service. Smashfests usually spread through word of mouth (although you specifically stated that you can't hold too many people), and you can either organize some or travel a bit.

Try getting in contact with...Delorted1, Kingsley, PheonixFyre, BreadnButtererx(sp?), Uhh...and whoever else lives in Toronto and etc.(find out through those guys =P).

Anyways, take my advice to heart, and I hope your future smashfests are a success!

Bread-Butterer

Smash Ace
It's just Bread-Butterer, but that's a ***** to spell out so just call me BreadX.

I'm gonna come to this and bring a few people with me. I think this'll fill up fairly quickly.

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
This'll be at my place, I can have two setups, one in the living room, and one in teh room next to it, so there'll be a fair bit of smashing. Somebody has to bring their own system game, and controller's though. Since, about two of my GC controller's c-stick goes haywire(along with l and R when that happens), but it's erratic. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but i wouldn't depend on it.

Directions are:
From eglinton west station are to take the 32c, 32D or 32B bus to eglinton and dufferin(the bus runs along eglinton). It's about 5-15 mins bus ride depending on the traffic.

Walk south(the bus will leave you off at shoppers drug marts side) and cross the street south to the Esso gas station and then across again to the cornershop convenient store. Keep walking south and you'll see a nail salon called four season's nails(which my mother owns) and that's where my place is.

And it's in the basement of hte nail salon. I'd rather you take the back alleyway(you'll see it to your right as your walking south, since you may cause a commotion, and that's bad for business! haha I kid, but I think you'd be more comfortable, and I'd be more comfortable if you too kthe back alley way. There'll be a brown metal door in red and white with the store name on it, just knock hard, and not too hard.

That's a mouthful, so the Policy is BYOC just in case you missed it.

As for how many people you'll bring, just gimme a number, I'll limit how many people you can bring depending on whether or not the number of people coming is overkill.

And as for the date. Tuesday, wednesday thursday are the only days this week I'm available, but that may be a bit too soon for your preference or perhaps this week sunday. If not we can go with a date next week, sunday's are best for me. What about you guys?

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
Lanowen, Were you at the NNR tourney before june 24th? I remember playign a samus player and asking somebody's name. It could be you. I was using the white marth, and I'm asian. We were playing each other during the finals between kinglsey and pkmvodka i think.

THe address is 2344 dufferin street btw.

Volasko

Smash Ace
Thanks for the invite, like I said in my PM this weekend ill be busy with plans. If you make it the week after that I know most of the players that have posted above me will be at the montreal tourney. Im still on the ropes weither to go or not(to montreal that is), but if I dont, and its that weekend you can count me in for sure lol.....

I can drive so dont worry about what station and ish like that lol

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
Hello Canadians. I am posting here because it seems 95 % certain that I will be in Toronto from the 17th to the 20th this month. My mother works as a stewardess for Finnair, and she has a flight to Toronto and I'll be going with her. I get cheaper flights and free accomodation at the hotel so that's all good.

I'd like to get some Smash in with some local smashers. The hotel I'll be staying at is located very centrally as far as I know, it's the Marriott hotel at 475 Yonge Street. I obviously don't know anything about Toronto or how to get anywhere in the city, so either someone could come up to the hotel and play some Smash in the room, or someone could even meet up with me at the hotel and take me elsewhere. A smashfest would be nice, but like I said I'd be totally dependant on someone to pick me up or at least give me VERY detailed instructions on how to get there with public transports.

I'll bring my controller.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
That would be great. It's conveniently on a weekend, I have 2 entire (non-travel) days in Toronto and I could use one of those for Smash. It would have to be either the 18th or the 19th, Friday or Saturday. For me it doesn't matter.

I can bring my PAL SSBM if someone has a FreeLoader or Action Replay that can be used to play it on an NTSC Cube.

Also, I'm only known as TelpeFion on forums. On the hub and otherwise I am known as WMK, and I prefer that to TelpeFion.

super_nintendo

Smash Journeyman
I'm driving up there to play. It's not far, so I should be up the Saturday before the projected date with my dad. If possible could you provide housing for me Tai that Saturday? I'll be the only one, my dad will stay at a hotel, and if you can't provide any housing I'll be more than happy to stay with my dad.

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
phew, this is freaking awesome, I tottally didn't expect smasher's from another country to be coming to a smashfest, haha, but i'd be more than happy to arrange a date. If some can't make it ecause of the Montreal tourney, then that's cool, I can just hold two seperate smashfests.

And Toronto's map system isn't too complicated, I can provide you with directions depending on your location OR you can get a pick up from someone at a station.

Should I set a date in stone now? Which date is best for those traveling from far away?

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
Have something on the 18th or 19th (exactly 2 weeks from now) and I'll be happy. Also, if at all possible I would prefer someone coming to meet me. I wouldn't want to get lost in such a big city...

Really looking forward to this.

purpL

Smash Cadet
just lettin you know, im interested in this smash fest and my friend is interested as well so if you be finalizing all the information such as date time etc it would be good if you post it cuz people may have to check their schedule to see if it fits in. And approximately what is the max amount of people you can fit / will allow in ur crib.

and on a side note can someone post a link where i can edit my sig size its kinda big seen?

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I'll make the date 18th or 19th, depending on whichever is better for people. I won't be able to provide housing to you super_nintendo. Refer to the first post for updates and details.

D

Deleted member

Looks fun, NNR will be sure to hit it up

TY for hosting btw Tai

Way to totally steal my sig layout wes :p

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
Alright, as for the action replay, I'd like to play a bit of the PAL version too, just to see the differences. I don't know who has one so who can supply the action replay?

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
scarborough eh? I don't think I'm doing anythign on wednesday. IS there anyway to get there by bus, because if there isn't, then I won't be able to make it.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
The hotel I'll be staying at is located very centrally as far as I know, it's the Marriott hotel at 475 Yonge Street.
Yep, that's the hotel. Hotel Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Toronto
475 Yonge Street, Toronto M4Y 1X7, Ontario, Canada. Any volunteers for picking me up? It doesn't matter to me if this is on the 18th or the 19th, both days are fine. I check this topic like twice a day, people just don't seem to post too much.

Volasko

Smash Ace
Woah Im down for sure, ill bring 2 others (Snowblind and Bowdy) ready to bring the pain .... yeahhhh boy!

Errr can it be the saturday instead of the Friday? Most of us peeps gotta work ya know... lol... if not ill see you around 6ish on friday.

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
Woah Im down for sure, ill bring 2 others (Snowblind and Bowdy) ready to bring the pain .... yeahhhh boy!

Errr can it be the saturday instead of the Friday? Most of us peeps gotta work ya know... lol... if not ill see you around 6ish on friday.
haha, sorry the date's been set :). But not to worry, I only set the time for the tourney to end at 9-10 just because I thought that would be a convenient time for everybody, so staying a lil late is fine by me.

As for how many people are coming, I haven't even compiled a list. But Lemme think about how many are coming so far. It's about the figure I guessed, so things are good. I don't mind a few extra's, if you guys want to have an extra set-up feel free to bring another tv and a GC. It might be better if you do.

Top Bottom