• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top SSBM players opinion on SSBB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackWithABlade

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know how they personally feel about the game? Who liked it? Who didn't like? All that stuff...

TimelessWind88

Smash Rookie
We have been playing Melee for 5-6 years now, and Brawl has been out in America for less than two days. I'm sorry, but I really just don't understand why everyone asks these questions about opinions on Melee vs. Brawl. At the very least, shouldn't we wait 6 months or so for people to really sink their teeth into Brawl's gameplay before attempting a just comparison? To do anything right now is so incredibly skew that it is not even worthwhile to discuss.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
We have been playing Melee for 5-6 years now, and Brawl has been out in America for less than two days. I'm sorry, but I really just don't understand why everyone asks these questions about opinions on Melee vs. Brawl. At the very least, shouldn't we wait 6 months or so for people to really sink their teeth into Brawl's gameplay before attempting a just comparison? To do anything right now is so incredibly skew that it is not even worthwhile to discuss.
QFT 10char

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
Here's some comments:

Brawl is not melee.
You should play Brawl.
Ask again in six months to a year.

BackWithABlade

Smash Rookie
I didn't ask for a comparison. Stop spewing the same garbage everyone else is saying for two seconds and actually answer my question. If you know don't anything don't post. And btw
I don't have anything against brawl at all. I just want to know what the top SSBM players think.
I'll revise the question for you.

"As of yet, what is the known current first impressions of Brawl to the top SSBM players?"

brawl is awesome!

nuff said
Thank you for contributing nothing.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I didn't ask for a comparison. Stop spewing the same garbage everyone else is saying for two seconds and actually answer my question. If you know don't anything don't post. And btw
I don't have anything against brawl at all. I just want to know what the top SSBM players think.
I'll revise the question for you.

"As of yet, what is the known current first impressions of Brawl to the top SSBM players?"

Thank you for contributing nothing.
And if you were paying attention, there was already an interview with several pros about their first impressions on brawl, so thank you for looking like an *******, using the search tool, and creating a wasted thread.

BackWithABlade FTW

BackWithABlade

Smash Rookie
And if you were paying attention, there was already an interview with several pros about their first impressions on brawl, so thank you for looking like an *******, using the search tool, and creating a wasted thread.

BackWithABlade FTW
Sorry for searching and not finding anything. It was the only reason I made the thread. But the funny thing is about this post is that you flame me, try to make me look like a stupid ***, and then you don't even help me out.

You didn't tell anything that was in the said interview and you didn't even provide any means for me to see it. Who is the actually jerk here? Really? There was an interview? Links pl0x or they don't exist.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
As far as I recall:

Gimpy likes it. Azen apparently likes it. M2K thinks it could be better but supports it because he wants to see the community become competitive. Yuna dislikes it. Wes likes it and those are the only ones that I can remember off the top of my head.

BackWithABlade

Smash Rookie
As far as I recall:

Gimpy likes it. Azen apparently likes it. M2K thinks it could be better but supports it because he wants to see the community become competitive. Yuna dislikes it. Wes likes it and those are the only ones that I can remember off the top of my head.
SERIOUSLY THANK YOU.

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
ima pro.
lmao i think i am
but yea dat tihs is the best! omg!! i brawl for 24 hours straight. and my head is killing me!
YEss!! thas a sign its good!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
As far as I recall:

I don't "dislike" it. I just don't think it's great. I'll play it, but I'd rather we stick to Melee (mind will change if we find more depth).

And those people, did any of them say they like it more than Melee? Anyone can like something but it doesn't really matter if it's pretty far down on their list of likes.

Repryx

Smash Champion
As far as I recall:

Gimpy Loves it. M2k says he doesnt like it...When I talked to him he just he's just gonna fair with Marth lolz. Azen is frickin amazing I played his Pit (in teams) and had the chance to see his Ike. We almost beat him in teams tho....heh!

pirkid

Smash Lord
I personally didn't like that interview. Yea, we got their opinions, but the rest of the questions were boring and uninformative.

Just wait until these Randoms that could never make it to a big tourney start winning everything. (Me)
/kidding about me

But yea, the whole popularity thing around here is gonna change big time.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
out for 2 days? In america, yes, but all the big name people who live in NY and around Cali have had the import for a month or so now.

ima pro.
lmao i think i am
but yea dat tihs is the best! omg!! i brawl for 24 hours straight. and my head is killing me!
YEss!! thas a sign its good!
-facepalm-

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Like: Chillin, HugS, Romeo, Caveman, G-Reg (I think)
Dislike: Fastest, Eggm (sorta)
Neutral: M2K, Mookie, KillaOR

as well as what NESSBOUNDER said.

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
I personally don't dislike it but also fear it won't last as long as melee did. The whole gameplay is too slow now and some people might get bored of it soon. At the moment is definitely a lot of fun, but I think it's mostly because it's still brand new. Let's wait a few months.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
Fast =/= more interesting.

Some of the most in-depth, long lasting games have been far slower than Brawl. I.e. chess. What contributes to lasting appeal is the overall quality/depth. Speed has no bearing.

And just to throw in my two cents about Brawl, it seems to have plenty of depth to me. While it is certainly slower and less technical, this does not mean it is more shallow or of worse quality. It just means that it is less centered around incredibly precise, fast-twitch button-presses, and instead on more mental aspects of the game (which can be just as fun/challenging)... The slower pace of brawl should allow for increased time for thinking, leading to an emphasis in mindgames, planning, and baiting your opponent (not unlike chess). It's definitely a different game, but I think it will prove to just as good/better than Melee.

mthegreatone

Smash Cadet
i really think the developers just simply wanted to make it accessible to everyone. advanced techniques aren't the kind of thing everyone WANTS to get in too, and they probably took that into account.

Evil-Knuckles

Smash Rookie
My Opinion

I got brawl at the midnight realease and have played it for about 20 hours. This plays much different from Melee. The biggest change is the speed of the game is slower due to characters falling slower. The fast fall isn't really much faster from a regular fall but it is there. I don't notice much anymore exept when im fox but it just takes some getting used to. Airdoging took a lot of getting used to for me because it no longer give you that extra height but I think the change is good because you can use up b after it if you accidentaly airdoge off the edge and you can use it more than once. This also gets rid of wavedashing which was never intended in the first game anyway. Dashdancing is less usefull though because of the random tripping at the start of a dash. One thing I really liked was that they fixed moves like link's up smash and fox's fair so that all of the hits connect. Overall I like the changes that they made to brawl(exept for slower falling) and will continue to play this game for years to come (especially online). The game hasn't been out for very long so it's hard to judge it so early but I wanted to help answer your question so there.

DogsWithJobs

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't classify myself as a pro, but I enjoy the game, and even though there are small things I dislike(like tripping for example), I still think people will accept them and play this one since the multi player allows for widespread competition to really test your skills.

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
Fast =/= more interesting.

Some of the most in-depth, long lasting games have been far slower than Brawl. I.e. chess. What contributes to lasting appeal is the overall quality/depth. Speed has no bearing.
Brawl can't be compared to chess, chess offers a lot more possibilities than brawl and the two players play on a completely even battlefield. In Brawl, expecially after the elimination of advanced techniques, the gap between top tiers and low tiers will be much higher, so some player may be forced to choose between a strong character and a character they like, while smash should be playing as your favourite character.

i really think the developers just simply wanted to make it accessible to everyone. advanced techniques aren't the kind of thing everyone WANTS to get in too, and they probably took that into account.
those who didn't want advanced techniques could just play with items on in order to add the luck factor to the game. Also, those who knew how to use advanced techniques worked their a$$e$ off in order to learn them, so they actually deserve to win against those who don't know them if you ask me. The only reason that justifies the elmination of advanced techniques is the possible lag during net play because of the high rate of buttons pressed each second. But people play SSB64 using advanced techniques on emulators and the lag it's acceptable. Also, the presence of tripping in the game is the ultimate proof that Sakurai didn't want a game in which players could win only with their abilities, preferring a party game in which luck is always an active factor (although fortunately tripping doesn't happen so much). Sakurai himself stated it in one of his updates (can't really remember what was..)

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
Brawl can't be compared to chess, chess offers a lot more possibilities than brawl and the two players play on a completely even battlefield. In Brawl, expecially after the elimination of advanced techniques, the gap between top tiers and low tiers will be much higher, so some player may be forced to choose between a strong character and a character they like, while smash should be playing as your favourite character.
Your reasoning is flawed. My point is that slowness does not preclude excitement, and that a slow game can still be interesting. The fact that chess provides a more even "battlefield" and more possibilities (debatable) does not change this fact. Neither of these factors are correlated with the speed of the game.

Also, there's no proof at all that Brawl is highly imbalanced like you are suggesting. Not enough is known about the game to make a bold statement like "the gap between strong and weak characters is much larger in this game."

Who exactly do you believe is miles ahead of the rest of the characters?

Even Marth, a character widely regarded as broken in Brawl, has many counter strategies. In fact, Mew2King (among others) recently said that he no longer believes Marth is even top tier (he believes Toon Link and Pit are top tier).

arrowhead

Smash Ace
Your reasoning is flawed. My point is that slowness does not preclude excitement, and that a slow game can still be interesting. The fact that chess provides a more even "battlefield" and more possibilities (debatable) does not change this fact. Neither of these factors are correlated with the speed of the game.
let's slow down nascar!

face it: speed is an important factor in smash. it's a game of quick thinking and quick reflexes. slowing it down lowers the action

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
I agree - having some speed is definitely an important factor in smash.

However, I think that losing some speed is acceptable if we receive an equitable increase in strategy. Although slower, Brawl could prove to be just as good. Let's not write it off purely on the basis of speed.

My point is that slowing the game down a little doesn't necessarily make it worse.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
but the speed wasn't the only "fix". hitstun duration has been drastically reduced, almost every character is as floaty as samus was in melee, DI is too incredible when getting hit, and tons of advanced techniques were removed without reasonable justification.

Kumori

Smash Apprentice
It'll become better and better as the community learns it's intricacies.

SuperEmma

Smash Rookie
It'll become better and better as the community learns it's intricacies.
Yes i think some new techs will certainly be found, people are already starting to find things.
I can see Brawl becoming very competitive, people will become more and more acustomed to it and pros will emerge.
Either way brawl is an amazing game that had a lot of effort put into it, plus its fun!

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
Your reasoning is flawed. My point is that slowness does not preclude excitement, and that a slow game can still be interesting. The fact that chess provides a more even "battlefield" and more possibilities (debatable) does not change this fact. Neither of these factors are correlated with the speed of the game. .
Chess and smash don't really compare... Chess was perfected over the course of hundreds of years, and it's SO deep that people dedicate their lives to mastering it. There's almost infinite possibilities and every move can be read extremely far in advance (masters think 13-15 moves ahead).

Speed and reaction time are vital to Smash... so it's much much different. The metagame is sort of similar to Chess, because you're trying to control and predict the opponent's actions, but the game overall is not based on teh same principles at all.

We value the speed of smash because it's thinking on your toes, at breakneck speed... Chess is more of a battle of contemplation.

Brawl isn't breakneck speed anymore though. I'm not a top player but I can at least compete with the big boys in Melee... and my opinion on Brawl is neutral to bad. I just find myself getting bored with the defensive nature of Brawl... Oos attacks, too much floatiness, no hitlag, and ridiculous DI just make it too slow and defensive for my tastes... I want to overwhelm! I want my strongest attacks to actually kill at 100%! I want an exciting edgegame! And spamming shouldn't be the most viable strategy!

But alas, this is the future... so I'll keep trying to enjoy it. I'm not too optimistic though (last night I started playing Madden over Brawl... that's really sad). Maybe the switch in my head will get flipped soon.

*crosses fingers*

Kamin

Smash Rookie
So from what I've read most of the people who don't like Brawl, don't like it because most of the advance techniques are gone and most of those advance techniques are what added the speed to Melee. Kinda figured that would happen. Personally I enjoy the game though and right now I must say I like it better than Melee.

CookBadGrades

Smash Cadet
Okay, I admit, Brawl is fun and all, like I a major melee over brawl fan enjoy playing it sometimes NON-competitively with my friends. But the thing is to ALL melee players that they say (including me) is that if your good and you play peach and you can win a lot, then good job. But then someone who just started with Meta-knight or Snake could beat you. Since the no wave dashing and other things makes it take no TECH-skill. Example: One of the Best Melee players in the world was beaten by a 11 year old girl who just started.

BUT I'm not saying I HATE Brawl, because I like it. I just don't think it's as good as Melee competitive wise.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yes i think some new techs will certainly be found, people are already starting to find things.
I can see Brawl becoming very competitive, people will become more and more acustomed to it and pros will emerge.
Either way brawl is an amazing game that had a lot of effort put into it, plus its fun!
I really doubt there is much to be found. This game has been hacked to death and the physics were dissected already. If there was something else to find, the hackers would have found it already.

Also, Gimpy doesn't like Brawl.

/thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom