• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Links worst Matchups

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
I honestly have more trouble with Fox than Wolf... Sure wolf has a crazy range to his forward smash, but I've played foxes who've completely rocked me with 40%+ combos. Wolf just has better knockback.
Olimars pretty hard, too. 90% of the time his friggin slaves absorb your arrows or rang' / :

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
G&W is a joke vs TL. The only thing you have to worry about from him are bair and dsmash. Even then, your spacing is II gud.
G&W does just fine thank you ;D

MK is pretty difficult, and I just stop using TL whenever I see a wolf. G&W does better for that matchup. And Olimar is a pain in the *** in general...

so x___X

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
This thread makes TL look like a joke.
Olimar, Wolf, Marth(?).
Everyone else is just your problem. (and I personally have no problem with Wolf or Marth.)

and GaW just ***** everybody.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
This thread makes TL look like a joke.
Olimar, Wolf, Marth(?).
Everyone else is just your problem. (and I personally have no problem with Wolf or Marth.)

and GaW just ***** everybody.
Makes TL look like a joke? And just exactly what good players have you played? Everyone else is just their problem?

Good Metaknight will **** you. Good Marth will **** you. Good Zelda will **** you. Learn your matchups buddy.

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
Everyone here hasn't played the same "great" Marth, Meta Knight, Ike, etc. Based on movesets, though, Definatly wolf, Marth, and Zelda? I personally haven't played a great Zelda so I'm not sure. /:
Olimar's definatly a challenge, if nothing short of being a nuisance ><

RPK

Smash Lord
Okay, I still dont get why X does good against toon link after reading some of this sh**. How about this, lets go with a format.

Character:
Why TL does bad against _______:
(And if possible) What can TL do to Counter ____: (And not getting hit isnt an option...)

Also, if nothing comes up, just look at the opposing character's board and then learn how they do good against TL and from there, think up a counter strategy...

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
Makes TL look like a joke? And just exactly what good players have you played? Everyone else is just their problem?

Good Metaknight will **** you. Good Marth will **** you. Good Zelda will **** you. Learn your matchups buddy.
True, I haven't played that many good people.
But hell, good anything will **** you. Just because somebody's Zelda doesn't mean they'll win. If I played Gimpyfish with anything he'd **** me. Most probably you'd **** me too.

Didn't mean anything personal. I was just tired of things like:
"okay so matchups worst(TL):
Kirby
metaknight
shiek
diddy kong
pikachu"
Excuse me? you think Kirby isn't just his problem?

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
^ That's kind of funny you say that. It seems some Lucario mains are having trouble with toon link. Check out their forums if you don't believe me.

And to Rpk's logic:

Metaknight: All his aerials out proritize OR outrange T. Link's, he has much less pre lag to his ground attacks, Dimensional Cape, which is kind-of like a counter, and he's Very hard to edge guard due to his recovery, multi jumps, gliding, etc. And spiking him is.... let's just say unless the player your facing is a total idiot it's impossible. Only chance you have to spike is doing the head-hop to down spike. But his aerials prevent that nearly completely.

Wolf: Most of his ground attacks out-range us, minus his projectiles. But he also has a deflector, while we're stuck with a metal shield. His F-air can make aerial combat tricky, due to it's 0 start up lag.

Marth: Kind-of like wolf. His aerials are Very fast, but with better range. Only real advantage T. Link has is projectiles. But Marth is very fast on foot, too, so camping is neigh impossible. Marth can also be very good at edge guarding (I personally have spiked/ edge-guarded people Easily as Marth when they're under 40% damage). And he's also very hard to edge-guard, due to Dolphin Slash hitting your feet when your standing too close.

Zelda: Nayru's love, Din's fire, and her up-smash that somehow has a huge hitbox...
And if you **** her of her first stock, Shiek can throw your whole game off with 10-15% projectiles and hard to escape combos... And unlike Zelda, her attacks are very hard to punish if she misses.
I've had near losses due to the change of playstyle between the two. You have to be much more cautious with shieks Hyphen smash then Zelda's.

I personally don't have any real trouble with Diddy, as most of T. Link's attacks give him an advantage in the air over Diddy. Can't trip on banannasif your not walking on the ground lol.

Fear The Force

Smash Cadet
Metaknight is his only problem. Meta will win vs. TL if he is up close; if the TL player can get some space in between them, he'll win.

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
MK ***** amost everyone put Snake lol
I still don't see how Olimar would do good against him.
Unless its a campy spamming throwing Pikmin Olimar lol
Zelda I can see where she gives alot of people a hard time
Snake I think would do good
But also wouldnt the whole SF crew do good because of their spam game and plus they have reflectors.
Oh and that chart honestly alot of it is not all true some characters there need to have disadvantages and advantages changed.

Jube Jube

Smash Rookie
1. a good olimar
2. wolf
3. another toon link or link

1. a good olimar will usually be pretty tricky to fight ( due to the pikmin. )

2. wolf is fast and very hard to hit

3. another toon link would also be hard to fight because they have the same moves
I'd probably go with you... but to be honest ANY good Olimar is tricky to beat, unless you're using his counters, which I forgot. But anyway, as for Wolf, I'd go with him because of his down special. That one move only is what can deal a lot of annoyance to TL, especially since it now only gives him invincibility frames but reflects attacks as well.

Also, I'd add Marth due to his greater range with the sword than TL and Metaknight... just because he's Metaknight. Honestly, Anyone who's faster than TL in attacking and has greater range will be a good counter in my opinion, but then again, TL can pull a lot of tricks up his sleeve as well as a great bair combo.

Coselm

Smash Ace
The post to end all posts in this thread

Toon Link's worst match-ups: (no particular order btw)

~ ROB

Rob outprioritizes TL, outranges TL, can outspam TL, his air game beats yours, his recovery beats yours, etc. etc.

ROB can certainly beat you close range with his Dsmash, and if the ROB has any knowledge of spacing, he can pound you with f-tilts and d-tilts to keep you at bay. His top can stop ground approaches, as well as block your boomerang and grounded arrows. His laser comes out faster, and out-prioritizes and projectile TL has. He can chase you off the stage with almost no risk of punishment. ROB spits on TL's edge game. ROB can survive a dair spike.

To sum it up, ROB beats you in any and every situation (on the ground, in the air, on the edge, long range, close range, you name it he beats you.

~ MetaKnight

I'm not even really gonna put much here. MK is a hard match up for any character, imo. His speed makes spamming easy to punish. He can gimp you when you are off the edge. His recovery is great (MK can also survive a Dair spike. If he is at low percent, and meteor cancels, he can survive Dair 2-3 times on some stages). MK is jsut really fast, and has jsut a little bit more range than TL that makes him a really hard match-up.

~ Olimar

Olimar is the king of spammage. He can jsut chill and throw pikmin all day. Once you are stuck with a pikmin, you can't throw bombs. I'm pretty sure you can Dair off of the pikmin when they are stuck at you, which can lead into some mindgames, but most Olimar's won't let you be that close to them for long enough for this to really happen much. Well anyways, like I was saying... He can jsut spam pikmin, and if you make a desperate foolish approach you will just run into a wall of Fsmash pikmin. His Fsmash both outranges and outprioritizes any of your ground approaches, and it is not likely you will be punishing him for trying it, either. Olimar's grab range is ludicrous, and sometimes I can't even tell he's trying to grab me because all his moves look exactly the same to me. He can kill you pretty early with his Usmash. Despite all of this, the Olimar match is not a total loss because you can gimp his recovery. The key to beating Olimar is to be patient, avoid his pikmin spammage by taking advantage of your agility, use your edge game to your advantage, and try to get Olimar off the stage and knock him farther with a fair or, more practically, a nair.

~ Snake

I think everyone knows what I'm talking about. Snake doesn't have anything particular on TL, but he is jsut generally a great character. While you beat Snake in the projectile spammage game, he can easily approach you with a mortar slide. Snake can rack up damage VERY fast if you are not careful, which is not a good think cuz he can get early kills. His recovery is very good. I know that you can gimp his recovery with the 'grabbing the cypher' trick, but to be honest, a good snake will RARELY fall into this. Snake is not that hard in my opinion. I think it is overall an even match-up, but it is one of TL's harder ones I suppose.

~ Zelda

She can outspam you, reflect your projectiles, and her moves have massive priority. For instance, if you tried to Dair her, she can hit you out of it with an u-air or an U-smash. She has pretty good recovery, but you will be getting kills around average percents with U-smash so no worries. You can gimp her if you get her under the stage, but other than that you probably won't be gimping her. Another thing that works to Zelda's advantage is the small amount of players that use her. All in all, TL should win this match, but it is one of the trickier ones.

~ Wolf

His laser spammage works well against TL. Fsmash is a good approach. He can sometimes be hard to kill, and can kill you early if you don't watch your back. I think a lot of TLs have trouble with this match up because they don't have the necessary patience to get past the laser spammage, and fall into Fsmashes (which become VERY predictable). TL should win this one because you can gimp wolf due to his mediocre recovery, and you destroy his airgame and can combo him into hell. I don't have trouble with this match-up, but I thought it deserved a spot because I always read about TLs complaining about this one.

ROB, MK, and Olimar are definetly TL's hardest match-ups in my experience. I thought Snake, Zelda and Wolf deserved mentioning b/c, although I think the matches are even, and possibly leaning to TL's favor in the case of Zelda and Wolf, they can be tricky match-ups. Oh yeah... Another TL is also a hard match. It all boils down to who is the better player in that situation I suppose.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
I agree but i think Olimar is #1. One of my friends plays him, and I often have a hard time. Olimars smashes own the ground, and his aerials are brutal as well. And reflectors are easily overcomable if your projectiles aren't as predictable as heck. Wolf is somewhat hard, but most of your aerials **** him hard.

Nevermind on Olimar being #1. I just realized that it said in no particular order. XD

Coselm

Smash Ace
I agree but i think Olimar is #1. One of my friends plays him, and I often have a hard time. Olimars smashes own the ground, and his aerials are brutal as well. And reflectors are easily overcomable if your projectiles aren't as predictable as heck. Wolf is somewhat hard, but most of your aerials **** him hard.

Nevermind on Olimar being #1. I just realized that it said in no particular order. XD
Yea... I realize how you could have been mistaken. I'm going to edit the numbers out of my post so other people don't get confused.

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
Toon Link's worst match-ups: (no particular order btw)

~ ROB

Rob outprioritizes TL, outranges TL, can outspam TL, his air game beats yours, his recovery beats yours, etc. etc.

ROB can certainly beat you close range with his Dsmash, and if the ROB has any knowledge of spacing, he can pound you with f-tilts and d-tilts to keep you at bay. His top can stop ground approaches, as well as block your boomerang and grounded arrows. His laser comes out faster, and out-prioritizes and projectile TL has. He can chase you off the stage with almost no risk of punishment. ROB spits on TL's edge game. ROB can survive a dair spike.

To sum it up, ROB beats you in any and every situation (on the ground, in the air, on the edge, long range, close range, you name it he beats you.

~ MetaKnight

I'm not even really gonna put much here. MK is a hard match up for any character, imo. His speed makes spamming easy to punish. He can gimp you when you are off the edge. His recovery is great (MK can also survive a Dair spike. If he is at low percent, and meteor cancels, he can survive Dair 2-3 times on some stages). MK is jsut really fast, and has jsut a little bit more range than TL that makes him a really hard match-up.

~ Olimar

Olimar is the king of spammage. He can jsut chill and throw pikmin all day. Once you are stuck with a pikmin, you can't throw bombs. I'm pretty sure you can Dair off of the pikmin when they are stuck at you, which can lead into some mindgames, but most Olimar's won't let you be that close to them for long enough for this to really happen much. Well anyways, like I was saying... He can jsut spam pikmin, and if you make a desperate foolish approach you will just run into a wall of Fsmash pikmin. His Fsmash both outranges and outprioritizes any of your ground approaches, and it is not likely you will be punishing him for trying it, either. Olimar's grab range is ludicrous, and sometimes I can't even tell he's trying to grab me because all his moves look exactly the same to me. He can kill you pretty early with his Usmash. Despite all of this, the Olimar match is not a total loss because you can gimp his recovery. The key to beating Olimar is to be patient, avoid his pikmin spammage by taking advantage of your agility, use your edge game to your advantage, and try to get Olimar off the stage and knock him farther with a fair or, more practically, a nair.

~ Snake

I think everyone knows what I'm talking about. Snake doesn't have anything particular on TL, but he is jsut generally a great character. While you beat Snake in the projectile spammage game, he can easily approach you with a mortar slide. Snake can rack up damage VERY fast if you are not careful, which is not a good think cuz he can get early kills. His recovery is very good. I know that you can gimp his recovery with the 'grabbing the cypher' trick, but to be honest, a good snake will RARELY fall into this. Snake is not that hard in my opinion. I think it is overall an even match-up, but it is one of TL's harder ones I suppose.

~ Zelda

She can outspam you, reflect your projectiles, and her moves have massive priority. For instance, if you tried to Dair her, she can hit you out of it with an u-air or an U-smash. She has pretty good recovery, but you will be getting kills around average percents with U-smash so no worries. You can gimp her if you get her under the stage, but other than that you probably won't be gimping her. Another thing that works to Zelda's advantage is the small amount of players that use her. All in all, TL should win this match, but it is one of the trickier ones.

~ Wolf

His laser spammage works well against TL. Fsmash is a good approach. He can sometimes be hard to kill, and can kill you early if you don't watch your back. I think a lot of TLs have trouble with this match up because they don't have the necessary patience to get past the laser spammage, and fall into Fsmashes (which become VERY predictable). TL should win this one because you can gimp wolf due to his mediocre recovery, and you destroy his airgame and can combo him into hell. I don't have trouble with this match-up, but I thought it deserved a spot because I always read about TLs complaining about this one.

ROB, MK, and Olimar are definetly TL's hardest match-ups in my experience. I thought Snake, Zelda and Wolf deserved mentioning b/c, although I think the matches are even, and possibly leaning to TL's favor in the case of Zelda and Wolf, they can be tricky match-ups. Oh yeah... Another TL is also a hard match. It all boils down to who is the better player in that situation I suppose.

This is a very sexy post that deserves to be quoted in its entirety. Very good points on each character. Now we have to find out what to do against them =/

Santi

Smash Lord
I have trouble with that one character where the player only has to push that red easy button on their contoller.
It like forms like some kind of F5 of ****.

Aziel

Smash Cadet
The only characters I have trouble with on Toon Link, specifically out of character match ups, would have to be Marth and Metaknight. Sometimes ROB, I tend to have an easier time with him in the air than on the ground, as his aerials, though high in range and priority, are quite predictable with their startup lag.
Everyone has trouble with Snake, he's a broken character, it really doesn't have much to do with match up, and Toon Link actually has one of the higher advantages against Snake than most characters.
I can't really see how Toon Link, as a character has trouble against characters like Zelda, Olimar, and especially Wolf. Wolf is just silly. Hookshot his predictable smash spamming *** and don't run into his B-airs. Not too hard.

GKRacker: There's a thread dedicated to Toon Links more troublesome Match Ups and ways to go around things like it. I advise reading it and implementing the information into your game.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
I find R.O.B. to be really hard to beat, but that may just be the fact that my friend JJ plays an insane R.O.B. that could possibly rival Overswarm

QUIVO

Smash Master
I actually get to play Overswarm at least a decent amount since he lives 15 minutes away from me :p
Btw, you should get your friend to MM OS

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Apart from the obvious Top Tier characters, I find a good Pit can give TL trouble, as can Zelda. It doesn't help when two of the players I vs online both main Zelda =/

Bomber7

Smash Hero
MK, is a little difficult. Zelda proposes a small problem(once you get past the S-B spamming its easier to fight). Pit, hardly, you out range him in close combat and in long range, he can't rely on his bow the whole match. Olimar can be a problem with his pikman spaz, though if you have a ranged style of playing like I do, it's not that hard. Wolf I see can be difficult. Sheik could be a problem with her speed/agility and he good aerial attacks.

Toon Link King

Smash Rookie
I have the most trouble with metaknight and falco. especially metaknight wow i hate that thing..

Wolf players are really predictable. All they do is spam their fsmash fsmash dsmash dsmash gun gun gun back to fsmash fsmash... just shield fsmash and then punish them.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I have the most trouble with metaknight and falco. especially metaknight wow i hate that thing..

Wolf players are really predictable. All they do is spam their fsmash fsmash dsmash dsmash gun gun gun back to fsmash fsmash... just shield fsmash and then punish them.
that's what wolfs noobs and those who play online do.

Top Bottom