• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link should be de-cloned!

Mashour2

Smash Apprentice
Link to original post: [drupal=963]Toon Link should be de-cloned![/drupal]

Don't read this if you don't care about Toon Link.

Toon Link is basically a floaty version of Link with different graphics and extremely similar attacks. First of all, I never recall Twilight Link owning a Wind Waker.( in case you haven't played the game, it is a conductor's baton that appears in one of Toon Link's taunts but it is magical )

I guess Sakurai didn't feel like giving zelda fans a new Link. I mean, they could have let Toon Link use the WW in battle! It doesn't take much thought to quickly clone a character, but the game would be much more appealing if they lowered the clone count. Bottom line: Toon Link should be de-cloned. I hope this will happen in the next addition of Super Smash Brothers.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The very same thought occurs to me with Ganon, considering he HAS a sword, Sakurai even gave him a taunt using it (which was really his taunt to us), but doesn't have a separate moveset from Captain Falcon, who's not even from the same franchise as him. It'd be nice if other clones got removed, but yeah, with Ganon and Toon Link there's a lot of potential so there's not a good excuse for them to not have a separate moveset -- although I'm pretty sure it was because of time constraints...even though they STILL had to delay it twice. Ugh. Maybe if Nintendo had asked Sakurai about working on the game BEFORE they announced it at E3, there wouldn't have been ANY time constraints.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Yeah, but he's better than link. And thats all that matters :laugh:

They're not even that similar.

Different:
Bairs
Nairs
Fairs
Upsmash
Down smash has different mechanics
Bombs
Boomerangs

Toon links recovery is better, different look, different costumes.

At least they're not clones like melee fox/falco

Tony_11

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, but he's better than link. And thats all that matters :laugh:

They're not even that similar.

Different:
Bairs
Nairs
Fairs
Upsmash
Down smash has different mechanics
Bombs
Boomerangs

Toon links recovery is better, different look, different costumes.

thats true about the moves, but sepite those differences, the similarities are usually more visible than the differences. It would be nice to declone characters, even though im pretty sure a clone will come next game O.o

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Clones are only deemed the same from a superficial point of view. Fox and Falco were played completely differently in Melee, despite them having the same movesets, because they had subtle differences to their moves.

People should stop complaining about clones imo. I really don't see how they could make Toon Link that much different in terms of moves. He's Link, he has basically the exact same equipment as Link, the same sword techniques...
Cloning really isn't that big of an issue, as long as it isn't excessive and done out of laziness.
LANDMASTER!

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Cloning really isn't that big of an issue, as long as it isn't excessive and done out of laziness.
LANDMASTER!
Falco was supposed to get an Arwing Final Smash, but due to time constraints (as in: due to the fans being upset with Nintendo already having delayed the game once) it wasn't finished.

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
So it looks like Peach is smoking in Spadefox's signature.

Also, if TL was a clone they'd be a bit closer to each other in, like, every tier list every created by (a )competitive player(s).

Mashour2

Smash Apprentice
Clones are only deemed the same from a superficial point of view. Fox and Falco were played completely differently in Melee, despite them having the same movesets, because they had subtle differences to their moves.

People should stop complaining about clones imo. I really don't see how they could make Toon Link that much different in terms of moves. He's Link, he has basically the exact same equipment as Link, the same sword techniques...
LANDMASTER!
Thats like saying "If <insert game here> was so popular, just make another of the exact same thing!"
Besides, they don't always have the same thing.

Example:

Toon Link has a hurricane spin, allowing him to move far distances
Link has spin attack, which is immobile.

Also as I stated before, the Wind Waker. Which could have been used for more moves, like using cyclones as a recovery, or have a wind blowing one that will make it harder for others to recover. I just wish there were no time constraints so that they could have made brawl it's best.

Big Bear

Smash Cadet
Yeah like Mewtwo and Lucario! He's more like young link than anything else (and its not just his size)! His attacks and the general feel of the character are very phantom hourglass (eg the bombs)! Its quite clever! I wouldn't say that they outright cloned link! In respects to the franchise, its a completely different person so maybe they could've done something else!

Big Bear

Smash Cadet
And links up smash results in 3 slashes whereas his toon counterpart only does 1. His arrows are also more powerful and require less holding!

haha or he could use the cyclones to escape!

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
i think they coulda given toon sumin like the leaf so he could glide a bit or it could blast air at em and push chars like marios F.L.U.D they coulda made it so link turns into a wolf tht would be cool and with gannon if he had a sword he would be a lot like ike tho i would rlly like to see a toon gannon with dual swords would awesome ^^

Sonic Phantom

Smash Cadet
Falco was supposed to get an Arwing Final Smash, but due to time constraints (as in: due to the fans being upset with Nintendo already having delayed the game once) it wasn't finished.
lol, I always found that funny. When Falco uses his final smash he says, "I prefer the air," then brings down a landmaster.

Darkslash

Smash Master
If some one didn't mention this before.

Toon Links FS shouldn't be the Triforce Slash. It should be the phantom hour glass.In PH when fighting Bellum he freezes time. Now that's awesome. Plus his sword should be the Phantom sword, so the confusion of 2 master swords are gone and his ability to freeze time is there as well.

PrepareYourself

Smash Ace
TL doesn't have to be a clone. I have no complaint with his current moveset, but I was bored and made this.

B - Arrows
Side B - Boomerang

These moves please me; they should keep.

Up B - Spin Attack
Down B - Bombs

They got lazy here it seems. And as much as I love Bombs, two projectiles will do.

What it could be:

Up B - Deku Leaf
Used on Ground: TL takes the enormous leaf, brings it above his shoulders, and swings it forcefully after about a split second. If hit by the leaf itself, you take 10% and trip. If you are in front of TL, you will be pushed back a great distance. (Three Wario Bikes worth) You are safe if you are behind him.

Used in Air: Much like Game & Watch's recovery. TL takes a great leap and pulls out his Deku Leaf, floating in the air as if it is a parachute. Pressing down puts you into Fall Special. Press Up to go back) Pressing B causes TL to suddenly puff up the leaf, pushing back opponents and dealing slight damage if near enough. If the leaf (not Toon Link) is struck in midair, TL is put into Fall Special and unable to use the leaf a second time.

Down B - Iron Boots
Used on Ground: TL does a short hop and crashes onto the ground with his super heavy boots, causing a small shockwave causing 5%. This will limit his ground movement severely; to only about half of his walking speed. The length of time he can spend on the ledge will he halved. He will drop quickly from the air (as if he had a metal box). These boots increase his weight to about that of Bowser's, Making him much harder to KO. It will also make his FSmash twice as strong (FSmash is a jump forward and a vertical swing downwards).

Used in Air: A stall and fall. He stops in midair and hops into his boots. He will drop extremely fast, and anybody underneath him will be spiked diagonally and take a LOT of damage. Operates like normal boots after landing. TL will, however, will be damaged himself on landing, depending on how far up he was. Reverse vertical recovery. Boots cannot be removed in midair.

Final Smash - Phantom Hourglass
I haven't played Phantom Hourglass. Whatever a Phantom Hourglass does.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
toon link and link are more different than link and young link in melee. i mean in melee, they almost look the same. in brawl, they look completely different. they have different types of attacks. although still the basic idea, they move and look different.

what nintendo should of done is fix ganondorf, like firust said. they are still the exact same thing exept for a slight change in ganondorfs side B.

Top Bottom