• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Match-up Video and Critique Thread

Arc -The Fallen-

Smash Rookie
being defensive with TL isn't "bad" it's just TL has a few laggy moves that you have to watch out for when playing aggro which to took to mind and played very well.
props
I am very well aware of what I am sayin' (I am STILL a knowledgable and experienced TL main), and I never said defense was "bad" at all. In fact, what I am saying is defense is REALLY GOOD and I (myself) am willing to take the "big leap" off the Defense Cliff into battle and still do well and look good. Your a Toon Link, I'm a Toon Link; you hit em high, I hit em low. We both are trying to accomplish the same thing (winning with TL), but taking different paths--what's the difference if we take different paths if we still beat up everyone along the way.

I'm reppin' Toon Link from a different side of the same spectrum and am proud of it.

Heck, if some "guy" can get good with C.Falcon even SEMI-DECENTLY, then I can be a pure-offense TL. Sure, I KNOW it's going to be rough for me... but I can take it--not only that I'll make it happen--I'll win. Laggy moves, chancy moves, 50/50 die or live--that's how I play.

If anyone wants to see me play a textbook TL, I'll be happy to perform for them--I am VERY capable of defending and I'll still win my battles.

So long as it's up to me tho, I'll still choose to play a berserker Link.

I'm the windwaker link, wherever the wind flows (wherever my opponents camp), I'll follow and bring a storm... hehe. >:D

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Dayum, Arc your TL is swift & sexy, very entertaining to watch.

Aggressive TL is where it's at. Great use of spin attack.

Keep it up, don't change your style!

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Arc, what your doing isnt really that aggressive nor diffrent. I watched one of your "epic" vids and saw nothing that I havnt seen before from a TL. Only different thing that I saw was the excesive usage of up B. Im not saying up B is bad, you just used it in the wrong places.. alot. The way quivo used to up B was amazing and a great with to mix things up with TL. So you really didnt do anything new =/ Hyro probably has the most original while effective TL, and thats gonna be tough to top.

Arc -The Fallen-

Smash Rookie
Arc, what your doing isnt really that aggressive nor diffrent. I watched one of your "epic" vids and saw nothing that I havnt seen before from a TL. Only different thing that I saw was the excesive usage of up B. Im not saying up B is bad, you just used it in the wrong places.. alot. The way quivo used to up B was amazing and a great with to mix things up with TL. So you really didnt do anything new =/ Hyro probably has the most original while effective TL, and thats gonna be tough to top.
Wow... what a way to put a damper on a fellow link. Can't you let a brother relish the moment even for a lil' bit?

My post: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=8320682#post8320682

[start rant/

By the way, the phrases up there in blue you said are relative in the eyes of the beholder... plus, there are always little "spins" (no pun intended...lol) people put on an already known move/approach, including the mindgames that led up to it--saying that there is NOT ANYTHING new or "unique" about my video is somewhat harsh.... You must also remember that I am contributing rare Pikachu matchup vids also (against a Pikachu PR'er)... when was the last time you dodged dozens of laser-targeted thunders by the skin of your teeth?! I wake up and breathe 'fighting pikachus'. I'm not dissin' your skills or experience (I'm just pointin' out... that is SOMETHING new I have to share in footage--not nothing... a pikachu-fighting TL could make use of the new footage). Every good TL has something decent and different/new to share that a toon link of any skill level can appreciate, if you don't see it, then someone else will--if you don't see it now, maybe you'll see later.

The phrase up there in red is definitely NOT condusive to the encouragement of fledgling Toon links and even good ones. Isn't this thread for critique, tips, and encouragement. Sounds almost like you want to snuff out my hope/chances... (not saying that you actually wanted to do that... but you could have worded your phrases a LOT better).

The last thing I want to hear after I posted a video of my hard work and SINCERE effort against a rarely seen matchup is the name of some OTHER Toon Link being shoved down my throat. Now... topping Hyro is not my goal...My goal is giving my very best, achieving my very best potential, exceeding my current maximum--isn't that what this thread is about--to help you become a better you, not to help you become more like Quivo/Santi. If my trying my best soon tops Hyro, then I guess that'll be good--I don't need you to tell me how tough it is for me to be effective and unique.

/end rant. lol

No ill-manner towards you Jerm, just making it clear that some of your comments carry across almost flame-like (plus it's really late and I might be cranky). You were quick to diss, and slow to understand deeply how/why I fight. I like taking higher risks in battle--more than most Toon Links would deem reasonable; i charge fowards a majority of the time and rarely ever camp. Take a moments re-look at the vids and see if you can figure out something--ANYTHING at all that you can take home with you that is new/valuable, whether is a setup or taking a hit in a certain way.

About those wrong spin attacks... I up-b those times because I was fighting a QaC'ing crazed pikachu who could close the distance between him and my sword/projectile at almost any one point and who QaC's foward most of the time--I wanted a cool-looking kO/followup (that WILL have potentially worked against the QaC'ing pika); can you blame me for that?

Thank you though for your opinions. I still appreciate your taking your time to comment.... Remember no 2 Toon Links are the same. Each one has something VALUABLE and new in their own way to contribute to the community, no matter how newbish or good the TL is....

As for me, I'll make sure that I become known as playing like no other Toon Link and be good at it. If not now then in the times to come and will take pride in doing it--please don't stop me... let a fellow Toon Link make his dreams come true. :D

Kaffei

Smash Hero

Wow... what a way to put a damper on a fellow link. Can't you let a brother relish the moment even for a lil' bit?

My post: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=8320682#post8320682

[start rant/

By the way, the phrases up there in blue you said are relative in the eyes of the beholder... plus, there are always little "spins" (no pun intended...lol) people put on an already known move/approach, including the mindgames that led up to it--saying that there is NOT ANYTHING new or "unique" about my video is somewhat harsh.... You must also remember that I am contributing rare Pikachu matchup vids also (against a Pikachu PR'er)... when was the last time you dodged dozens of laser-targeted thunders by the skin of your teeth?! I wake up and breathe 'fighting pikachus'. I'm not dissin' your skills or experience (I'm just pointin' out... that is SOMETHING new I have to share in footage--not nothing... a pikachu-fighting TL could make use of the new footage). Every good TL has something decent and different/new to share that a toon link of any skill level can appreciate, if you don't see it, then someone else will--if you don't see it now, maybe you'll see later.

The phrase up there in red is definitely NOT condusive to the encouragement of fledgling Toon links and even good ones. Isn't this thread for critique, tips, and encouragement. Sounds almost like you want to snuff out my hope/chances... (not saying that you actually wanted to do that... but you could have worded your phrases a LOT better).

The last thing I want to hear after I posted a video of my hard work and SINCERE effort against a rarely seen matchup is the name of some OTHER Toon Link being shoved down my throat. Now... topping Hyro is not my goal...My goal is giving my very best, achieving my very best potential, exceeding my current maximum--isn't that what this thread is about--to help you become a better you, not to help you become more like Quivo/Santi. If my trying my best soon tops Hyro, then I guess that'll be good--I don't need you to tell me how tough it is for me to be effective and unique.

/end rant. lol

No ill-manner towards you Jerm, just making it clear that some of your comments carry across almost flame-like (plus it's really late and I might be cranky). You were quick to diss, and slow to understand deeply how/why I fight. I like taking higher risks in battle--more than most Toon Links would deem reasonable; i charge fowards a majority of the time and rarely ever camp. Take a moments re-look at the vids and see if you can figure out something--ANYTHING at all that you can take home with you that is new/valuable, whether is a setup or taking a hit in a certain way.

About those wrong spin attacks... I up-b those times because I was fighting a QaC'ing crazed pikachu who could close the distance between him and my sword/projectile at almost any one point and who QaC's foward most of the time--I wanted a cool-looking kO/followup(that WILL have potentially worked against the QaC'ing pika); can you blame me for that?

Thank you though for your opinions. I still appreciate your taking your time to comment.... Remember no 2 Toon Links are the same. Each one has something VALUABLE and new in their own way to contribute to the community, no matter how newbish or good the TL is....

As for me, I'll make sure that I become known as playing like no other Toon Link and be good at it. If not now then in the times to come and will take pride in doing it--please don't stop me... let a fellow Toon Link make his dreams come true. :D

Well, even if it DOES look cool, it doesn't mean that it's an efficient way of dealing with something. I understand what you mean though, great work nonetheless. =]

TheJerm said:
If you're not too busy, could you critique my Toon Link as well? I'm not really good with him yet, so anything will help... Just don't be TOO blunt, haha.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I only watched game two and you made a nice comeback. You weren't aggressive though, and IMO, we shouldn't be too aggressive against Pikachu.

The only good pika I've fought is anther though..

Your up b usage was pretty sporadic it seemed and you were pretty much using it defensively out of shield. Imo it was like a "hope for the best" attack.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
About the pikachu thing, i've actually taken out two good pikachus. I dont know their level compared to the top of pikachu play (anther) but I know they are good. I'm not telling you to play a certain way or to try to top hyro. Just that if your trying to be different, I didnt see it. If your trying to be agressive, I didnt see it. Hyro is great at both of these things, so thats why I mentioned him.

But anypoo, I like your font xD

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Arc, how are you going to surpass your limits if you aren't comming to NC tourneys? :|

I hate being the only high placing Toon in NC.
Oh... for the record... we've been workin' (college and needing money for life and other things [including paying for tourneys]). But that's summer...

And another note... just for that, I think Andy'll personally take you down... lol. (half-j/k).

Good job on your tourney placings tho. We'll be around for the billfests and crews. Hopefully we'll win or place high in both. My highlighting goal: beat Dr. Peepee's marth with pika... lol.

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZY_o05UBu8&feature=channel_page

Doubles set from a recent offline tourney at which i got 5th in both singles and doubles....one of those days where your brain is on the right track but your fingers aren't :/
Looks like you guys would have done better if you worked together in my opinion, there were a lot of times were you were camping giving opportunities for your opponents to double team the Snake player. I dunno thought maybe it was just that Neo and Moe worked together really well.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Your TL wasnt so bad, but you seemed to have bad habbits in the game in general, like bad rolls n such. The falco was pretty much the same way, bad DI lol. Try to use more arials against falco, and bait smash attacks.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
KunaiX- u arent that bad. But stop being so predictable and dair every single time after a bair. Use more upair, there were some instances in which u couldve used it to outlast his airdodges but didnt. Use more bombs, never fsmash, learn to momentum cancel with bair instead of airdodging and ur gonna be decent.

KunaiX

Smash Cadet
KunaiX- u arent that bad. But stop being so predictable and dair every single time after a bair. Use more upair, there were some instances in which u couldve used it to outlast his airdodges but didnt. Use more bombs, never fsmash, learn to momentum cancel with bair instead of airdodging and ur gonna be decent.
Yeah, momentum cancel is one of my biggest Problem... but without it i survive along time. Maybe longer when i get it in my brain xD

My styles is good enough, to beat many guys =D
It is a bit different, when i play against another Chars, this fight were just for fun but more intense as i thought. BTW dont forget, he is my teammate and know how i fight. I use UpAir as a kill move, and so i hold them back o,o. Maybe i should change it...

Fsmash is a way to good i using it only for shield pressures + when to opponent is near the edge to save myself, when he get both hits. Fsmash isnt that bad, you can do some good thinks like double first hit to third hit, it works. Try it ^^

I use Dair a way to much, but on the otherside i know when i have to use it. Sometimes i have Dair Phrases , dont think its my main move or something similar. I will upload another videos to see my current style ^^

Smith

Smash Ace

Oh... for the record... we've been workin' (college and needing money for life and other things [including paying for tourneys]). But that's summer...

And another note... just for that, I think Andy'll personally take you down... lol. (half-j/k).

Good job on your tourney placings tho. We'll be around for the billfests and crews. Hopefully we'll win or place high in both. My highlighting goal: beat Dr. Peepee's marth with pika... lol.
Last Billfest, I 2 stocked Arc.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Hey guys I'm going to get a video of me playing uploaded.
It's going to be done sometime next month but let me keep posting about it instead of just posting it when it's out.

NeoTLkid

Smash Cadet
would I be able to send vids to someone so they can post them, but the only people I can fight aren the ones in the meet+greet begginner arena thing. Would that be ok? (srry if this belongs in inquery thread)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I can't rigtht now due to lack of internet on my computer. =/

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Get some manners.

I'll critique your video when I can get on a computer tomorrow. ^_^
Okay, thanks. =]

A~Kid/ToonethLinkage said:
lol I'm hated.

Kaffei: Use projectiles MOAR. And no tier war intended but face a better character. =\
But I wanna know why it's bad to charge an arrow or to use a Usmash early.
What if I'm SHDAing & I charge it at one point? It could "mindgame" the opponent, but idk. So I need your help to tell me why it's bad.

He likes to play CF and Snake, lol. What moar projectiles should I use?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I use charged arrows a lot. You just have to use them in appropriate situations.

A~Kid/ToonethLinkage

Wants His Own Custom Title
Okay, thanks. =]

But I wanna know why it's bad to charge an arrow or to use a Usmash early.
What if I'm SHDAing & I charge it at one point? It could "mindgame" the opponent, but idk. So I need your help to tell me why it's bad.

He likes to play CF and Snake, lol. What moar projectiles should I use?
Use a lot of bombs. I suck at critiking, sorry. =\ Maybe Sheikant will save the day.:chuckle:

Top Bottom