• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Match-up Video and Critique Thread

~TLK~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toonlinkking777
well here is some matches i would like to have critiqued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOd9616b1dk

all three matches are in the video. would like to know for one what i did differently in the match i lost but also know what i did good in all three :D

there is also a second set. i am more concerned with the critique for this one because i lost both matches. thanks for the help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUZ5a4t6LYA

NH Cody

Smash Champion
>_<

well, first of all

why are you fsmashing at 60%?
why are you approaching with short hop fair and short hop airdodge zair when you should just run away throw more stuff?
why do you always drop or throw your bombs soon as you pull them out?

also, don't be so reckless. It seems like you were always just jumping around and attacking. You should wait in shield sometimes to bait an approach while your projectiles are out (this pressures them to approach) and then punish with stuff OOS (like full hop nair/bair/sometimes grab if you feel like it)

and think about what your opponent is doing and what habits they have, the MK you played airdodged out of hitstun a lot but you didn't catch on to that, so you would just jump up and fair and he would airdodge it. lol. bait it and then throw a bomb up or something

killing: you have to keep up your projectile wall when you want to kill him. This keeps him distracted so you can catch him by surprise. and instead of just running up and usmashing him, come up with something more clever like throwing a bunch of stuff, then hitting him with aerials when he goes flying because of a bomb

oh and if he's not grabbing (like the MK was), and doing too much smashing/aerials, then use your shield! lol shield it all, since his patterns are really linear and you should be punishing that over and over xD

think about conditioning, mindgames and more projectile mixups as well

TL;DR: THINK

MJG

Smash Hero
>_<

Stuff
Wifi habits unfortunately
Listen to what he said still

EDIT: Wait..I didn't see the "shield" comment. You really shouldn't stay in your shield for too long as TL. TL's OoS options aren't amazing. Plus, TL is better off moving and to constantly be moving.

That being said, there will be moments when you will be forced into your shield but yea, this^

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Right, but I mean like I never EVER saw him at least try to bait an approach or powershield a thundershock at least once (even on wifi it's still possible when you know it's coming that slowly lol)

yeah so I wasn't saying sit in shield all day and nap while he comes and dashgrabs you, more like, if you see he's just running up and fairing over and over again, then shield it and punish instead of jumping up and getting hit.

I don't know, this is just me ranting out ideas. Just forget about the shield part xD

~TLK~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toonlinkking777
yeah my biggest problem is a tendency to not camp as well when i want a kill. i start to spam because i just want them dead! xD

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Well, I have a couple recent videos on which I could use some critique. (wifi) I look back at them now, and I notice how many mistakes I made xD. I notice I'm sidestepping and airdodging too much. And a few other little things involving patterns I have. But if you guys have things to say, by all means tear me apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IztkFVpkgls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDmJpKGgMto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mClWVAlfD8c

also, don't mind my video bias of playing so many marths lol, hopefully I'll have more close matches that aren't against marths. Apparently there's just a lot of them @_@

MJG

Smash Hero
Ew wifi :o

Your spacing was really good at times and then there were moments when you would be swinging your sword towards marth when you were right outside of his tipper range >_>

Around 0:35, don't drop down so low to pull out a bomb. It isn't very safe at all.

You have some good mix ups. Keep at it.

Tewx2

Smash Ace
I feel like you played that game really well, the only thing you could have done better was more double jump bomb pulls.

Ic0slay3r

Smash Apprentice
No music makes those videos so hard to watch >.<, also your fastfalling from the ledge and waiting till the last second to recover was really wtf, I thought like 3 of the times that you did that your opponent was gonna edgegrab you or at least punish you, but apparently he was nice.

Jaxys

Smash Cadet
Hey.
I don't have any recording device to post videos, so I'd lke to ask for some assistance with that.

Brawl FC: 2408-2090-2990
Wii Friend Code: 7330 2594 8655 3166

I don't have many people added in Brawl so I don't have a lot of Toon Link WiFi videos to show you. I can play some friends and get some footage, but I'd like to ask: would posting records of CPU matches be allowed? I'm currently facing some CPUs in hope of getting some videos and feedback.

Also, to the person who'd like to help me with videos (ohai)... I'm completely lost when it comes to technology so expect to be frustrated when helping.

Thanks ^^.

Awesomecake

Smash Rookie
I needs some more experience against real people, my friends kinda suck. If anyone would like to add me and give some feedback about my skills as a toon linkist, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ssonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeartP

MJG

Smash Hero
l'll watch a few later (even though wifi is hard to critique) but I can say that, Zair, Rang, Bombs and Bair help a lot in the peach MU.

Rising zair grounds peach and for the most part, peach should be forced to approach from the ground.

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
Looks good, one thing I saw was you were rolling a lot. He didn't always punish you for it, but you probably could've done a little more work if you were spotdodging some of them instead of always rolling away.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
i got some matches from the last tourney that i did fairly well in. i have a set that really needs to be critiqued
my set against Mars
this is the best ive done against him
DS4 vs Mars (sheik)
match 1
match 2
match 3

Top Bottom