• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Match-up Video and Critique Thread

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
@mjg
Er... In Vs. Mr Doom Match 1, around 4 : 50, it looks like you cancelled the knockback of Ike's Fair with a bomb O.o... How did you do that?

RATED

Smash Lord
Match 1 vs bassem...soooo GREEDY and RISKY. WTF mjg XD.
I saw that one, while searching for Bassem vids today. I agree with Sheikant, you were too greedy and that's wrong and even more with TL since he as a character can be punished easily if he gets to greedy or try to risk a lot. Also why risk so much when your character has 234234234233 projectiles.

Sheikant: Let's play Wario vs TL next time we play. That matchup seems more fun than TL vs Snake.

MJG

Smash Hero
I saw that one, while searching for Bassem vids today. I agree with Sheikant, you were too greedy and that's wrong and even more with TL since he as a character can be punished easily if he gets to greedy or try to risk a lot. Also why risk so much when your character has 234234234233 projectiles.

Sheikant: Let's play Wario vs TL next time we play. That matchup seems more fun than TL vs Snake.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Go back to getting owned by Sheikant.

kthxbai

On a serious level. Yes I did get greedy.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
*watches the Mr. Doom videos*

match 1 made me sadface :(
so close...ah well you got him later lol. I think you caught onto him and your own mistakes after this match

match 2 : o_O crazy good stuff. I felt like I was watching Hyro with his crazy fast shenanigans. Plus you have those totally random mixups that I shall steal am amazed by
lol

match 3: you got up a lot on the edge with ledge drop DJ fair...but I guess it worked, still you could mix it up more often I think...

But yeah, loving what I'm seeing! Good stuff :D

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
im not mad or anything but i just really want that set critiqued cause its __X__s brother and im getting closer and closer each time i play him

if it was Hyro, everyone would've been like "omg hyro da bess" or "good **** hyro".

Anyways, I'll hopefully give you a critique when I'm not on my phone (whenever that is).

First things first, it looks like you got really overwhelmed against ROB. Rob's fair gimps like crazy, so it's best to just try to avoid that at all costs. If you get caught in it, I would just air dodge since it's the fastest action you could possibly do and DI back to the stage. I don't know if there's any other ways around his fair, but if someone knows, they should correct me. Dealing with Rob's offstage is tricky because of his gimping/spiking abilities, but what you really have to do is just time everything right and you'll always make it back on stage. His dair has a nice chunk of startup lag. Fair is harder to avoid, but like I said, just air dodge. If he starts baiting your air dodge, then mind game him.

Also, don't approach!!!!! Seriously, just don't. If you look at the match, you can see how much you're approaching. Just hang back and collect damage. Keep him out of range and watch out for his lasers/gyro. They aren't hard to avoid.

Critiqued.

MJG

Smash Hero
Wow sorry. I missed this. I am not looking for a critique anymore though. All my mistakes have been pointed out by jerm and quivo <3

Anyways..vs wolf, bair is your friend. I know its pretty useful for almost any MU but more so for wolf. Wolf sticks his foot out asking to get sliced (lol jash). So yea..that and we juggle the HELL out of wolf...other than that...just remember to keep your spacing and what not. From what I can tell, you mix it up when coming back on stage for the most part.

Also, around 0:40, that bomb pull was REALLY unsafe. You have to know when its ok to pull a bomb and when it is not.

@toonysonic: I only used fair from the ledge once game 3.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Nah they do this all the time if it was hyro or someone they would have critiqued the vid for 10 pages
if it was Hyro, everyone would've been like "omg hyro da bess" or "good **** hyro".

Anyways, I'll hopefully give you a critique when I'm not on my phone (whenever that is).
Thats how it works. People want to see things that interest them. I personally dont watch most of the vids here unless I know one or both of them are high level players. Mainly because in low level fights, both players are making a great deal of mistakes, but they dont really see it because they are getting away with it. So I would have to explain what both players are doing wrong, plus sit through a non entertaining match.

But if i was to watch jash, hyro, quivo, mjg, or tlmnoobaint, I can be like "ooohh shii im stealing that" while watching, then have a discussion/critique about what happened in the match without even having to explain much.

TL:DR Im too lazy to help the TL community =[

Thats how it works. People want to see things that interest them. I personally dont watch most of the vids here unless I know one or both of them are high level players. Mainly because in low level fights, both players are making a great deal of mistakes, but they dont really see it because they are getting away with it. So I would have to explain what both players are doing wrong, plus sit through a non entertaining match.

But if i was to watch jash, hyro, quivo, mjg, or tlmnoobaint, I can be like "ooohh shii im stealing that" while watching, then have a discussion/critique about what happened in the match without even having to explain much.

TL:DR Im too lazy to help the TL community =[
Actually I was focusing more on how when someone like Hyro does something, everyone just says HYRO TOO GOOD or HYRO IS DA BESS instead of saying something like "Hyro, that was good because..."

Just sayin'

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
I would just air dodge since it's the fastest action you could possibly do and DI back to the stage. I don't know if there's any other ways around his fair
Not too sure, but I think Nair might work.
Nair comes out frame 6, ROB Fair is 7.
But I don't know about how much hitstun it has.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
See, I respect Shadow because he points out stuff like that

why is he banned again lol

...well I don't need an exact answer, it's more of a rhetorical question.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
thats understandable Jerm but i was playing "LADA" if you recall he and __X__ took 2nd in teams beating out dsf and tyrant at sin2 so Lada is a legit high level player

CTX

Smash Journeyman
I don't think he was implying that at all. But how you play in doubles is vastly different than how you play in singles. Ever heard of the phrase "The whole is greater than the sum of all of its parts".

That's what can happen in teams

Edit: Fixed

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
well thank you for the critique i will try and not go into auto pilot if you know what i mean, cause it happens a lot. i have another vid comin up soon

Ic0slay3r

Smash Apprentice
If you are gonna use Quick Draw/Arrow Cancel, make sure that you can execute it correctly. It leaves you vulnerable if you don't cancel it properly.[/QUOTE]

I though I was canceling them correctly. There were a few times that I din't try to cancel them, but those where like 2 times top. Also I need some stage suggestion, cause I'm getting tired of using delphino as a counter pick for falco.

~TLK~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toonlinkking777
it would be nice of one of the good TL players on here like MJG or KT could play me on here and then save the matches and either upload them or send them to me to send them to someone else to upload or whatever. i cant save any good matches but id like to get some critique. any good toons with wifi up for it?

Hyro

Smash Lord
but no one wants to watch a wifi match lol...tbh

if you 3 stocked mjg 4 times in a row i still wouldn't think anything more of you or less of him...is that just me?

~TLK~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toonlinkking777
as long as it isnt laggy it isnt too bad. we had some good matches back in the day like a year ago hyro LOL. i wasnt too concerned about it being wifi

no matter what you think of wifi if i 3 stocked him period that would still mean something as long as it was playable. of course i wont 3 stock him but i think i can still be a challenge and take him to his last stock hopefully.

Top Bottom