• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Match-up Video and Critique Thread

MJG

Smash Hero
You have some of the same habits that I use to have. Try not to stay in your shield for too long and watch your spot dodge usage. Don't hesitate for too long. There were times during the match where you would just stop momentarily to think about what you wanted to do. Just play. There was also an apparent example of this towards the end of the vid when you were on the right platform. That situation was a little different though. Your spacing seemed fine.

That stuff that I mentioned earlier about hesitating is something hyro told me awhile ago. Shield for split seconds and then throw out that safe hit box. Your play style is unique.

:phone:

MJG

Smash Hero
It would be nice if someone could give me tips ^^

Tsunayoshi :toonlink: vs (S!C) :wario:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUweSUya00g (Match 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDVqrfWuuyA (Match 2)
Before I watch the match I want to say that when you are facing wario, something you should try to do is force an approach from wario and you should try to influence his aerial movement with your boomerang and DON'T approach him. Also, bair walls wario out completely. ALSO, idk if this is actually legit or not but I was able to footstool wario OoS the last time I played a wario in tourney...so this might be useful..?

Try not to use your double jump so often. Wario and other characters (like MK) will really screw you over if they catch on to your double jump habit.

You seemed to struggle with getting back on stage. This just comes with getting used to TL but getting back on stage (without taking too much damage) would be preferable.

Your TL is very flashy (not on that Hyro status though) :bee:

You don't have to approach when you are losing (especially when you and your opponent are on the same stock with 3 minutes left).

I already said this but I feel like it needs to be said again...wall wario with bair if he starts approaching you.

Tsunayoshi

Smash Apprentice
Before I watch the match I want to say that when you are facing wario, something you should try to do is force an approach from wario and you should try to influence his aerial movement with your boomerang and DON'T approach him. Also, bair walls wario out completely. ALSO, idk if this is actually legit or not but I was able to footstool wario OoS the last time I played a wario in tourney...so this might be useful..?

Try not to use your double jump so often. Wario and other characters (like MK) will really screw you over if they catch on to your double jump habit.

You seemed to struggle with getting back on stage. This just comes with getting used to TL but getting back on stage (without taking too much damage) would be preferable.

Your TL is very flashy (not on that Hyro status though) :bee:

You don't have to approach when you are losing (especially when you and your opponent are on the same stock with 3 minutes left).

I already said this but I feel like it needs to be said again...wall wario with bair if he starts approaching you.

ok thx i will keep that in my mind if i face a wario again and next time i will beat sic no matter what!

Something that I noticed and it bugged me a lot.

You gotta stop spot dodging after whiffing attacks. Very important: Notice how he's punishing you. It's always with an attack (mostly FTilt), and rarely with a grab. Since that opponent in particular rarely grabbed, that means that you don't have to depend on your spot dodge all that much. Shield that crap and punish/gtfo. You almost always got punished for it, and you didn't notice it.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Yeah I like to think about it like this. If you whiff an usmash, you MIGHT get punished. But why mash spotdodge? If you actually have the time to pull off the spotdodge, that means they didn't punish you quick enough. And if they didn't punish you quick enough, instead of spotdodging, you could have done ANYTHING else. Like walk away. Or jump away nair. Or grab. Or jerk :D Or quit brawl because you have such terrible habits :X

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Yeah I like to think about it like this. If you whiff an usmash, you MIGHT get punished. But why mash spotdodge? If you actually have the time to pull off the spotdodge, that means they didn't punish you quick enough. And if they didn't punish you quick enough, instead of spotdodging, you could have done ANYTHING else. Like walk away. Or jump away nair. Or grab. Or jerk :D Or quit brawl because you have such terrible habits :X
I dont think most of you understand how much truth is in this post.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
thanks twink ive just heard that toon link has an above average spotdodge so i started using a lot more
i don't like sitting in my shield very much so i have a habit of picking spotdodge over sheild. :/

@hyro
im sure you had habits like this before where you had to work a lot to fix
braking habits is easier said than done give me a break
btw
the short hop - back air - fast fall - backwards quickdraw, thing i have down so easy
all I have to do is buffer the fast fall at an angle with the stick and buffer the B button, it just does itself :p
but the jerk thing is a little tricky! im in the phase where i throw a rang from snapping the stick to fast or slow i don't know..

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
btw
the short hop - back air - fast fall - backwards quickdraw, thing i have down so easy
all I have to do is buffer the fast fall at an angle with the stick and buffer the B button, it just does itself :p
but the jerk thing is a little tricky! im in the phase where i throw a rang from snapping the stick to fast or slow i don't know..
TL's techs are more harmful than good imo

buut ey w/e floats ur boat

MJG

Smash Hero
@hyro
im sure you had habits like this before where you had to work a lot to fix
braking habits is easier said than done give me a break
Constructive criticism is better than no help at all. Hyro was mostly joking at the end :awesome:. You ask for your vids to be critiqued and they have been critiqued. We all had those habits (none of us have completely stopped spot dodging, don't let them fool you) but take what he said and work with it.

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
i feel that tink is jus a hard char to give advice on since hes jus so unorthodox. theres really no right way to play him and u jus have to pick which style works best for u.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
i was half serious replying to hyro too :ohwell:
and i thanked twink for his critique i learned something from him :/
hyro's post was basically telling me to get better or quit

Only saw your first vid against Sheik.

Notice that he started punishing your air dodges as the match went on. Air dodge less.

Against Samus: Don't get Zaired, lol. It's almost like Marth's Fair, in which people say that once he short hops, at least one Fair is coming out before he hits the ground. Well.... apply that to Samus.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I think u were pretty good pj. I did saw a few spacing mistakes and predictability while recovering but i liked. Err...i mean...bad region...bad tl...bad samus.

:phone:

Top Bottom