• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon link is ****ING ANNOYING!!!!

ADHD

Smash Hero
Does anyone have any experience in this matchup that could help me? This has got to be one of the most annoying things I have ever fought in brawl.

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
I really don't like fighting Toon Link players that run away most of the match.

Diddy King

Smash Cadet
Toon Link and Olimar, I have the most trouble against (one of my friends mains Tink and the other mains Olimar >__>) It's incredibly frustrating when they do that whole shoot arrow, throw boomerang, spam, repeat. Just dont try to attack them from above.

Count

Smash Champion
My best friend mains toon link. He isn't that great, but I probably have the most experience against TL since I spent the 14 hour drive on the way to spring break playing vs him in the van lol..and we play smash together about once a week.

-Bait him into using dair, then punish the land
-spotdodge the boomerang
-arrows can be annoying, if you kung fu kick, it goes through the arrows, so kung fu kick can be your friend
-glide toss to grab I find to be the most successful
-he has a good aerial game, but other than his bair diddy's is better in my opinion
-be wary of his fsmash, i still spotdodge the first hit then get hit by the second one sometimes
-ftilt outranges most of his attacks, so i use it often

Hope that helps, anything else you can ask me or I'm sure some of the better/more experienced diddys can weigh in. Granted my toon link opponent isn't the greatest, he isn't a complete scrub and I probably have more experience playing a toon link than anybody else.

So, bottom line, projectiles can be annoying, kung fu kick goes through them, the key is getting and maintaining the momentum (as it is with most matches as diddy)

IDK

Smash Lord
nope. falco's worse. so is luigi. if i'm playing falco, luigi, TL, i'll just go marth...

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Its really annoying and if your playing against a Toon Link who spams projectiles and prevents you from grabbing the bananas. Its game over for Diddy pretty much. Just camp and it will make Toon Link use less projectiles and it will make him an aerial fighter instead. Dont even bother trying to attack him from the air just wait paitently for him to come down to the ground and now its your chance to combo him with bananas.

kkkoala

Smash Cadet
-Bait him into using dair, then punish the land
i dont think hes having any trouble with any tl that uses dair tbh lul

i main tl so erm...
hyphens r obvious, spotdodge instantly anytime he goes into the air while being around 1 ditty glidetoss distance from u, sheildgrab the hell out of tl since aside from pivot grab and zair, that botton is unused. juggling tl is pretty effective, as all he can do to u while up ther is throw down bombs (lul catch them and throw them back) or if theyre a noob, dair and lulpunishd. tl's upb is very spikable w/spacing so ur hitting him ontop of his head. tl can zair out of airdodge so dun bother fair out of anything but dashattack. as for dealing w/projectiles, ur sorta out of luck :( nuts cancel arrows but quickdraw owns nuts at spamability, u just gotta sheild aproach.

doesnt help, as sadly the only char with a simple ez counter thing (steal teh naners) is ditty :(

Martial

Smash Apprentice
rob is also tough because he can spam gyros and laser
my strategy is to shield or spot doge/roll projectiles and approach with an aerial or side-b
that's just me though
The best strategy against ROB's gyro is not to shield it (because it'll just disappear, letting him shoot it at you again), but to catch it and then glide toss it upwards, preventing him from using it again for a little bit, while at the same time approaching.

underscore_

Smash Journeyman
I played this match and against a falco today in tourey.

I thought to myself "Oh man TL does good gainst Diddy", so I went MK. I got *****. After that, I was like **** it, stick to your mains. Got battlefield, won with mind gamed fAirs. Normally I'd be going crazy with bananas and attacking but sometimes id just jump in slowly when he was by the edge and do a delayed fAir. If he just stands there neutrally to deflect bananas with his shield just fB hump up and pull out bananas. Next match, Smashville, got a spike .Just shield projectiles like you would a Banana coming at you, and dont get hit, like against anyone.

Diddy actually doesnt do that bad vs falco cause bananas stop the chain grabbing. just gotta predict the Reflector.

I also 3 stocked a marth : )

IDK

Smash Lord
yeah mindgaming them into the reflector is good, but you still have to restrict yourself a little on approaching.

underscore_

Smash Journeyman
i killed the falco player for reflectoring me.

i noticed after he nA'd me he would reflector so the next time i got nA's I spot dodged and fSmashed.

RikyuXz.~

Smash Apprentice
Lol, I main toonlink so maybe I could help a little,, heh

Toon link is one of those campy bunch, so they will usually spam you until your annoyed and then approach or just be a **** and keep spamming until YOU approach. So the best way to deal with toonlink's spam is approach from the air and throw nana's down. Toon link can't spam as well if your in midair since you cant aim his aarows upwards lol. So airdodge/catch any rangs/bombs he sends at you and throw a nana down at him and down-b again to pull out another nana nearby. After you've done this, combo him with nanas and keep at a CLOSE RANGE. If you linger away from him he will start spamming you again and lets face it,, tl projectiles > diddy's peanuts.

Now, to deal with TL's approaches. Tl usually approaches while another projectile is covering him. (He throws a rang, then sh's a bomb and then comes at your with a shnair.) So the best way to deal with his is to spot dodge his projectiles and shieldgrab his aerial. once you got him grab'd you have to keep him in close range and combo with lots of dashatks/nanas. If he goes midrange throw a nana at him IMMEDIATELY and approach with dash attack/nana combos again.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, (but do it nicely^^) cause I don't play many diddy's but I know for sure once we're stuck in your nana combos,, its gonna take awhile for us to get out of it x_x. Hope it helped ^^

ADHD

Smash Hero
i Dont Think Hes Having Any Trouble With Any Tl That Uses Dair Tbh Lul

I Main Tl So Erm...
Hyphens R Obvious, Spotdodge Instantly Anytime He Goes Into The Air While Being Around 1 Ditty Glidetoss Distance From U, Sheildgrab The Hell Out Of Tl Since Aside From Pivot Grab And Zair, That Botton Is Unused. Juggling Tl Is Pretty Effective, As All He Can Do To U While Up Ther Is Throw Down Bombs (lul Catch Them And Throw Them Back) Or If Theyre A Noob, Dair And Lulpunishd. Tl's Upb Is Very Spikable W/spacing So Ur Hitting Him Ontop Of His Head. Tl Can Zair Out Of Airdodge So Dun Bother Fair Out Of Anything But Dashattack. As For Dealing W/projectiles, Ur Sorta Out Of Luck :( Nuts Cancel Arrows But Quickdraw Owns Nuts At Spamability, U Just Gotta Sheild Aproach.

Doesnt Help, As Sadly The Only Char With A Simple Ez Counter Thing (steal Teh Naners) Is Ditty :(

Its Diddy!!!!!!

Top Bottom