• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link General Information Discussion Thread

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
REDUCED DAMAGE ON PROJECTILES THOUGH D:
Although, as a Toon main, I honestly didn't get into Toon because of his camping-based technique. I really hope Toon gets a few buffs on his sword game. Better frame data or whatever. I mean, his fastest moves came out at the SAME TIME as some heavies' fastest moves in Brawl, e.g. Bowser's and D3's (Snake is FASTER than Toon -_-)

His utilt REALLY got a nerf, and went from 9 to 5 damage in Sm4sh. Although, it might serve as a move to string together, rather than a kill move.

His range is still crappy, and his sword's disjointedness is meh, doesn't really serve as hitboxes that you can really space at a safe distance.

And @Unknown Hero (Can't find your name to tag, sorry) Tink's fire arrows are reported to be exactly the same. Although, I haven't played Melee much, nor have I played ANY Sm4sh. So I don't really know much about this.

Last edited:

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
REDUCED DAMAGE ON PROJECTILES THOUGH D:
Although, as a Toon main, I honestly didn't get into Toon because of his camping-based technique. I really hope Toon gets a few buffs on his sword game. Better frame data or whatever. I mean, his fastest moves came out at the SAME TIME as some heavies' fastest moves in Brawl, e.g. Bowser's and D3's (Snake is FASTER than Toon -_-)

His utilt REALLY got a nerf, and went from 9 to 5 damage in Sm4sh. Although, it might serve as a move to string together, rather than a kill move.

His range is still crappy, and his sword's disjointedness is meh, doesn't really serve as hitboxes that you can really space at a safe distance.

And @Unknown Hero (Can't find your name to tag, sorry) Tink's fire arrows are reported to be exactly the same. Although, I haven't played Melee much, nor have I played ANY Sm4sh. So I don't really know much about this.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:sadeyes:

Whoa, this sounds really bad, Jez. I really hope that there are some buffs that we don't no about or that these nerfs aren't as bad as they seem. Though Tink's Fsmash seems buff judging by these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYziyZnDUqY (vs Falco)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGpGe-fJypY (vs Dedede)
KO both while stale (don't know how stale though)

Yeah with regards about his fire arrows, that sounds good because I remember read that Tink's only go about 1/3 of Battlefield and I test Young Link's on my Pal version of Melee and they go a bit more than half way on BF, that is way I was worried.

I actually tourneys make this custom Tink's default move instead of his default arrows see as the look and sound much better to use.

Anyway, thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:sadeyes:

Whoa, this sounds really bad, Jez. I really hope that there are some buffs that we don't no about or that these nerfs aren't as bad as they seem. Though Tink's Fsmash seems buff judging by these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYziyZnDUqY (vs Falco)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGpGe-fJypY (vs Dedede)
KO both while stale (don't know how stale though)

Yeah with regards about his fire arrows, that sounds good because I remember read that Tink's only go about 1/3 of Battlefield and I test Young Link's on my Pal version of Melee and they go a bit more than half way on BF, that is way I was worried.

I actually tourneys make this custom Tink's default move instead of his default arrows see as the look and sound much better to use.

Anyway, thanks for the info, really appreciate it.
....... brain fart, completely forgot about the reply function
Well, here, Tink's arrows just go... straight to the ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DhGFgdJ-tQ&channel=Jed05
The main point was to show Dedede's glitchiness with his Gordos, but yeah... this...
Although, the arrows have an explosion animation, so I'm guessing that they're bomb arrows...? I don't even know.

EDIT:
Sorry about that range man, it seems like those were fire arrows.
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=c2xywrva
Seems like normal arrows are the most reliable at the moment, but there's a possibility that arrows are just completely unviable- short ranged, uncharged fire arrows seem just plain bad, and piercing arrow could work in doubles, although I doubt it.

Normal Boomerang seems the best too, since it seems like it's the only one that's able to be angled. pore options = yay

SHORT FUSE BOMB SEEMS SUPER COOL. more Toon recovery options, since it explodes earlier, although I've heard that normal bomb already explodes in less time than it did in other games.

Also, I heard from a guy on Reddit that Zair doesn't autocancel from airdodge anymore, which is unfortunate.

Last edited:

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
....... brain fart, completely forgot about the reply function
Well, here, Tink's arrows just go... straight to the ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DhGFgdJ-tQ&channel=Jed05
The main point was to show Dedede's glitchiness with his Gordos, but yeah... this...
Although, the arrows have an explosion animation, so I'm guessing that they're bomb arrows...? I don't even know.
Wait, who is the brain fart? And Gods that move is Glitchy. Anyway, yeah D3 Gordos are a bit silly being able to be reflected be, well, anything, also i heard that the explosion on Tink's fire arrows are purely cosmetic. Any way, thanks for the info. Just one question, why is this thread being watched?

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Wait, who is the brain fart? And Gods that move is Glitchy. Anyway, yeah D3 Gordos are a bit silly being able to be reflected be, well, anything, also i heard that the explosion on Tink's fire arrows are purely cosmetic. Any way, thanks for the info. Just one question, why is this thread being watched?
Hah, you're fast, you replied before I submitted my edit.
Info is on my edit.

The thread is being watched because you replied to it.
To change these settings, go to the top of the page, mouse over your name in the... top bar thing... and go to "preferences".
I assume you know how to unwatch threads? :p Click that thing at the top that says "Unwatch Thread"...

EDIT:
Gordos are an insanely nice, bouncing projectile, so I believe that your enemies being able to reflect it back is a really nice balance. :p

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The fire arrows leave hitboxes on the ground like in Project M.

Given the arrow's shorter range, I think these would work better as traps than
straight projectiles.

Last edited:

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
EDIT:
Sorry about that range man, it seems like those were fire arrows.
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=c2xywrva
Seems like normal arrows are the most reliable at the moment, but there's a possibility that arrows are just completely unviable- short ranged, uncharged fire arrows seem just plain bad, and piercing arrow could work in doubles, although I doubt it.

Normal Boomerang seems the best too, since it seems like it's the only one that's able to be angled. pore options = yay

SHORT FUSE BOMB SEEMS SUPER COOL. more Toon recovery options, since it explodes earlier, although I've heard that normal bomb already explodes in less time than it did in other games.

Also, I heard from a guy on Reddit that Zair doesn't autocancel from airdodge anymore, which is unfortunate.
Thanks for the info, really helps calm the nerves. But how come you still think the normal arrows are good when you were saying that the have been nerf bad? or am I missing something. The fire arrows though remind me of Project m's a lot, mean the hopefully the have high hitstun and the floor damage could be very useful for racking up damage. To bad at zair though, but how bad is the landlag., minimal or just ugly

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info, really helps calm the nerves. But how come you still think the normal arrows are good when you were saying that the have been nerf bad? or am I missing something. The fire arrows though remind me of Project m's a lot, mean the hopefully the have high hitstun and the floor damage could be very useful for racking up damage. To bad at zair though, but how bad is the landlag., minimal or just ugly
Again, dunno about the zair thing, but I meant that the normal arrows seemed best because they have okay range and okay damage.
I did not previously know about the arrows leaving hitboxes on the ground, so I dunno, maybe we'll see about how the move goes for him. May be better.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, those fire arrows, look concerning. I mean, they're nothing like Young link's or Tink's from project m. There hitsun on theme when connecting looks iffy to me and that range is so small!!! Maybe they might go well with the fast Boomerang. Also the start of the WW spin attack looks really bad and only good in certain situations. That short fuse bomb, thou. I need to try the fire arrows out to give a final opinion though

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Short fuse may be strong, but they seem predictable since you can only really throw them
(and have to do so almost immediately).

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
~_~

*sigh*
short fuse bomb DOES seem unviable. D:
It would definitely let you hold onto it and up-b an extra time, if need be.
The short range of the trajectory of the bomb is really what concerns me though, although the blast radius DOES make up for it a little.

I wonder if the time bomb reacts to any enemy hitboxes though... If so, that would be GREAT.
TOON LINK WITH SNAKE GRENADES. That would be insane. But, wth, that launch trajectory. Weird recovery.
If it's like the Snake Grenades, then you'd definitely be sacrificing recovery for firepower. But, it's also not as great as Snake grenades in that they don't damage your opponent when you throw it at them. So maybe normal bombs will still be better after all.

I take everything back, all those moves look super cool. O.o
Piercing arrow is SUPER FAST so... there's that. Normal arrows do only 4% anyway, so that 3% isn't a huge deal. It's kinda worth sacrificing because of the speed.
High-speed boomerang... is a super straightforward projecile. would probably be super good if it wasn't for the 3% damage, and 1% returning. -_-

What moves are viable will definitely depend on the developing metagame though.
Is it better for Toon to throw out projectiles to make a wall of hitboxes, or does he want to snipe the enemy with super fast ones? (traps or offense?) the normal arrow has a hitbox that covers a plane for a short distance, for a long duration. The fire arrow makes a hitbox that stays there for a... relatively short duration actually, considering that it's kind of a trap. -_- Seems more PK-fire ish in duration than like, Snake C4. So that's not all that great.
It's not even as easy to spam as PKF! super short range + if it hits the enemy, it DISAPPEARS AND DOES LOW DAMAGE. that's really... meh...

I could see Flying Spin Attack being more useful than normal Spin Attack if it goes higher than normal Spin Attack. Toon's grounded Spin Attack wasn't very useful anyway, although it might depend for this game.
In Brawl, grounded Spin Attack just wasn't all that great, because first, it could be SDIed out of, and second, it does lower damage than an uncharged dsmash. The only thing Spin Attack is really actually good ish for is for punishing people who EXCESSIVELY rolldodge. Or spotdodge.
BUT, if in this game, Spin Attack does more damage than any other grounded option, then yeah, grounded Spin Attack would be high-risk, high-reward. So yeah, should probably be used for punishing more than anything if that's the case.

Floating Boomerang definitely wasn't as slow as I thought it was, so I could see that being really great. Also that thing where it follows you around... is really cool too. I could see this being really annoying to an opponent by interrupting their combos.

Last edited:

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I got some good time with him in the final version. He's still good. Main nerfs are the fact that he cant bair combo and airdodge to zair without lag. You can still airdodge to zair. But if you dont air dodge before the zair, then you wont have lag.
Oh, his dair is changed. It doesnt bounce anymore so no point in doing it off stage unless you want to die or you know you'll be able to stop yourself with something. His dash attack doesnt trip, but works more like the other dash attacks in this game.

I have found some good new things you can do with him, specially his dair. And I was able to beat everyone I played while using him the three sessions I had with the japanese version. So its safe to say your TL knowledge will carry over. I'll still be using him, but I dont think i'll have only one main in this game. Too many cool characters

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
The new Bomb AT that cancels lag managed to raise my eyebrow.
I didn't see any discussion on the Toon boards about it yet (though admittedly I haven't been around much) so I thought I'd let you know just in case. If anyone's wondering, apparently you just hit down B to throw the bomb, and it cancels lag. It might be best if you just see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXR0hgJlScc
Not shown in the vid: it can be used to do things like airdodge zair bomb throw without the lag after the zair caused by the airdodge, just the way we like it.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
I am casual as my avatar suggests, but trust me, playing Toon Link is so much fun in this game!! I am suprised how I suddenly like Fox again too.
So Samus Fox ZSS and Toon Link. Not bäd

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
The new Bomb AT that cancels lag managed to raise my eyebrow.
I didn't see any discussion on the Toon boards about it yet (though admittedly I haven't been around much) so I thought I'd let you know just in case. If anyone's wondering, apparently you just hit down B to throw the bomb, and it cancels lag. It might be best if you just see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXR0hgJlScc
Not shown in the vid: it can be used to do things like airdodge zair bomb throw without the lag after the zair caused by the airdodge, just the way we like it.
Yooo Fox, long time no see!

Yeah, I saw that the other day. It's pretty neat. TL can still do airdodge zair bomb throw and probably short hop arrow bomb cancel.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
AHAHA YAY MORE BROKEN LAG CANCELLING THINGS
AND it's for ALL moves rather than just airdodge... don't know whether to be happy or scared of my own character.
I honestly hope lots of other characters get broken aspects too... ._____.

And omg Jerm and Fox
you're back... :''D

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I'll still be around dw. I have less time these days, but the urge to test stuff is still there. Not having the game is killing me right now.

Toon is actually looking pretty good I have to say. In a game where the effectiveness of projectile spam has been nerfed as far as I can tell, he'll probably end up being my main due to the fact that his spam seems to still be effective. And that Bomb AT, jeez; I can only speculate at this point, but just imagine being able to use Fair so the hitbox comes out just before you land, and then cancel all that horrendous lag with a bomb throw. It just covers so many options especially considering that bombs up close don't hurt us, and if Fair has around the same shield pushback it would so super safe on shield. But anyway, mere speculations.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The kamikaze bombs seem cool to use. But I kind of like Adult Link's Multi-hit Boomerang custom more than Toon Link's options. The Fire Arrows are interesting too. Even if they aren't the strongest, you could still screw around with spacing and junk.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So I've been playing as Toon Link quite a lot today. I think he's still pretty good and his nerfs don't seem as bad as I imagined. I even managed to find a neat alternative way to make his D-air a good meteor smash without self destructing despite its non-bouncy nature this time around.

I think he's at least still viable so that's good. I'll be sure to practice with him some more as I try to get along with Villager and Ness as well.

Hyro

Smash Lord
I'm iffy on TL...Bair is nasty now. It doesn't auto cancel. It's extremely slow, no possible way to double bair or even fast fall a sh bair. So slow. And simple. Even his recovery is shot to just like Link's...no fun. No arrow cancels even. Groggy to play. Lag on air dodge zair...dair spikes but a suicide even when you hit. Brawl Toon Link is 3x faster...

Big Link feels quicker to me AND he has a Fierce Deity costume lol.

Really cool tech though, down B for the bomb. Too bad there's not more options other than throwing the bomb forward but it's still great. Feels good to air dodge zair again.As of now, Greninja and Sheik have the speed and aerial mobility to be where I want to be when I want to be there. I like the agility and ability to punish. Really fun to play as. I'll still play Toon Link but I'm shaky on maining him.

EDIT: LOL hold up, arrow bombs are back, shoot an arrow and cancel with bomb haha i'm liking this
Edit2: Doesn't work with rang...you can drop a bomb with Full hop bomb pull fast fall and drop with grab...you have to time it unlike Link's. Then you can pick it up with a bair and cancel lag. Same with, with sh uair.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Those were pretty much my thoughts exactly. I was disappointed in the new Toon, but then that bomb AT came along and I became interested again. I was finally able to play it today (I borrowed someone's 3ds at a tournament), and one of the first things I realised was how difficult it is to z-drop a bomb on the ground now compared to brawl. The timing is fairly specific. This was a bit of a disappointment I have to say, as z-dropping will be essential for getting lag cancels on aerials in a real game. Oh and, feel free to confirm this anyone, but I managed to do a sh bomb pull z-drop. I tried it a few more times before I moved on to checking other things and wasn't able to get it, so I can only imagine that you'd have to pull the bomb out instantly and then instantly input the z-drop. If this is the case, then this might end up being a way to help us with the z-drop timing (?)

Edit: Actually, what am I saying? Z-dropping on the ground isn't our only option. Obviously there are platforms and just catching it bouncing off an opponent's shield, but then, there may be something else entirely.

Can someone test if any of the following things work in smash 4.
You will find below various ideas on how to throw and re-catch the bomb with an aerial in a way that doesn't involve throwing the bomb up and waiting for it to come back down. You will need to read between the lines a bit, for example the instructions for the first one are just about re-throwing the bomb, but in the "Note:" I mentioned that you can simply throw the bomb and re-catch it with an aerial. Also there will no doubt need to be some different button inputs, but you should be able to work out what is required.

Bomb Fake Out
How to Perform 1: Pull out a Bomb, Jump Backwards, Throw the Bomb Backwards at the peak of your Jump then instantly Hit Grab twice quickly.
How to Perform 2: Pull out a Bomb, Jump Backwards, Throw the Bomb Backwards at the peak of your Jump then instantly do the Instant Bomb Throw.
Effect for both: Toon will Jump Backwards, Throw the Bomb behind him (Toon will turn around) then re-catch and throw the Bomb again.
Note: To make this easier simply hold Backwards from the moment you Jump until you re-catch the Bomb. If you don't want to throw the Bomb again then simply Hit Grab once to catch it with an airdodge, this can then be cancelled if you wish with a Zair by delaying the second Grab for a split second. You can also re-catch the Bomb with Fair. Something to keep in mind, if you're facing your opponent you can still do the Bomb Fake Out. Simply Run towards them, RAR then the rest is normal. Get this; The Bomb Fake Out can also be thrown in any direction. To do this, when you catch it with either the first Grab or the Instant Bomb Throw, simply Push the Joystick in the desired direction that you want to throw the Bomb in (Forwards, Backwards, Up or Down) then if you're using the first way to do this, instantly Hit Grab again. This can be a little tricky though because you still have to Hold Backwards until you Grab or do the Instant Bomb Throw then instantly move the Joystick into any other position. If you have the Joystick on Neutral you will do an Invincibomb Fake Out. Finally, if you do the Bomb Fake Out in a Full hop, it can be Quickdrawed.
Stages: All
Usefulness: 4/10
Credit: For further discoveries and applications, ASF1nk

(The following one, for our present purposes, can essentially be interpreted as, jumping, throwing the bomb backwards or forwards while drifting in the direction of the throw, landing, then dashing forwards to re-catch the bomb before it hits the ground.)
Double Bomb Fake Out
How to Perform: Everything is the same as the Bomb Fake Out, except for the end. Pull out a Bomb, Jump Backwards, throw the Bomb Backwards at the peak of your Jump, instantly Hit Grab twice or do the Instant Bomb Throw then instantly Dash Forwards and catch the Bomb with Dash attack (or any SH aerial).
Effect: The same as the Bomb Fake Out except Toon will re-catch the Bomb twice. He will jump backwards, Throw the Bomb behind him, re-catch and throw the Bomb, Dash forwards and re-catch the Bomb again.
Note: You can also do this to an opponent that is in front of you the same way as before, simply Run towards them, RAR then the rest is the same. If you want to catch it for the second time with Bair, Uair or Dair, you will need to use the C-stick to use your aerial without affecting your DI. And for the more technical Toon's out there, you could even catch the second Bomb with a DACUS, now that's one heck of a mind game kill. Just like in the running BFO coming up next, you can catch the Bomb the second time with an airdodge which means you can re-throw the Bomb in any direction and so on. Read further for more details. So that would mean you threw it, caught it then threw it, caught it again and re-threw it. Just let it go already.
Credit: ASF1nk

Running Bomb Fake Out
How to Perform: Pull out a Bomb, run in one direction, JC Throw the Bomb Forwards, Dash forwards before the animation of the throw has ended, catch the Bomb before it lands with dash attack/any SH'd aerial/SH instant airdodge.
Effect: Toon will JC Throw the Bomb forwards, then catch it before it explodes.
Note: The trick to this tech is all in the timing of the Dash before the animation of the throw has ended. If you dash forwards, don't try to catch it and the explosion doesn't hit you, then you're dashing forwards too late. Too early and Toon simply won't dash, so mess around with your timing before attempting anything else. Now in order to catch it with an aerial other than Fair, you'll need to use the C-stick to catch the bomb with things like Bair without affecting your DI. Also, it should be noted that you can cancel the Dash attack with an U-smash (think DACUS) which means you can make it look like you caught the Bomb with U-smash. But where this tech really shines is in the ability to catch the Bomb with airdodge. You see, you can cancel the airdodge with a Bomb throw in any direction (just think the Instant Bomb Throw), so this means that you can JC throw the Bomb towards your opponent and make them think they're out of range then Dash in and re-throw the same Bomb at them. Being able to re-throw the same Bomb in any direction means that depending on your opponents movements and how they avoid the Bomb, you can throw it back at them wherever they are, so if they jump, you throw it up, you get it. But that's not all, because you can catch the Bomb with an airdodge, it also means you can Zair while holding the Bomb and Ibomb, so just keep that in mind.
Stages: All, but it helps if you do it on a flat surface with a decent amount of space.
Usefulness: 5/10
Credit: ASF1nk

If any of these work, it will mean that a relatively useless brawl tech has found a purpose in smash 4 due to the ability to cancel the landing lag of aerials with a bomb throw and the lack of an ability to ZAC.

Last edited:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Pretty cool seeing all these Toon Links come back since the brawl board now is almost completely barren. There's still a few key players here we're missing though.

@ Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive
I tested all those really quickly and you can do the first two out of a short hop and you can do the last though I was only able to catch a bomb with dash attack and not an aerial. It could just be that my hands are too slow though. As you noted, they don't seem too terribly useful save for a few mind games. Even then catching the bomb in the latter two with an attack leaves us open to a counter attack if we whiff it or it gets shielded , especially if we're using dash attack to catch.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I finally have the game and I spent a few hours trying out the starter roster in the training mode. Toon Link is practically unchanged except for a few buffs and nerfs here and there. His D-Air is useless off-stage though. I think you can't even up-b out of it :/

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Hmm.
I've played the demo once on a friend's 3DS and never again after that.
So I remember being able to cancel jump with a throw with normal Link, but does anyone in the game still slide thing when doing JC throw? It seems that some Brawl ATs and mechanics still carry over into Smash 4, with that new discovery of being able to DACUS again. I was almost CERTAIN that at least THAT certain AT would've been removed.
Also, with the new pivot fsmash/ftilt thing, do you still need a JC to throw it backwards? Just by habit, I kept on doing JC throw, so I still don't know...

Last edited:

Lobos

Smash Master
I hate handhelds......its so hard to play on lol

So im not liking TL but it may just be how limited I am with handhelds

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I tested all those really quickly and you can do the first two out of a short hop and you can do the last though I was only able to catch a bomb with dash attack and not an aerial. It could just be that my hands are too slow though. As you noted, they don't seem too terribly useful save for a few mind games. Even then catching the bomb in the latter two with an attack leaves us open to a counter attack if we whiff it or it gets shielded , especially if we're using dash attack to catch.
Thanks for testing them man. I think I can tentatively say that they will all work then. The last one was always strict on the timing and the 3ds is by all accounts a terrible smash controler.
Anyway, this is good news, because it means that Toon might be a pretty good rush down character (once we are able to use GC controlers). Now that it doesn't matter if the bomb blows up in our face when it hits the opponent, we can JC throw towards them, if it hits, combo out of it, if it doesn't because they back away, we should be able to run in and throw out a sh aerial which we can then (ff and then (?)) cancel the lag with a bomb throw. Or you could do the variation that involves simply sh'ing backwards towards the opponent while holding a bomb, throwing the bomb towards them while continuing to drift in the direction of the bomb throw, then instantly re-catch it with e.g. a Fair, only to land and cancel all the lag with a bomb throw. In any case, this way of using aerials with a bomb is far superiour to throwing it up and waiting for it to come back down. It's difficult to make any assumptions at this point though, so take all this with a grain of salt.

One more thing that could come in handy for this rush down idea, can someone test to see if chaining works in smash 4 and are there any differences? It will basically enable us to ensure that we can land with an aerial just coming out in situations where we used an aerial to catch a bomb while rising (and then we can cancel the lag of the landing one).

Here's how it worked in brawl:
Chaining
How to Perform: Catch a bomb in midair with Bair, Dair or Uair then instantly use any other aerial.
Effect: Bair, Dair and Uair are special in that if you catch a bomb with them and try to do another aerial, Toon won't throw the bomb. This means that you can chain aerials together while holding a bomb without throwing the bomb.
Note: You can do as many Bair's, Dair's and Uair's as you like then finish with any aerial, but if you try to do another aerial after Nair or Fair, Toon will throw the bomb, breaking the chain. Something to keep in mind; If you catch the Bomb with Bair, Dair or Uair and you want to instantly throw the Bomb at your opponent, then there is a way that you can break the chain. After catching the Bomb with Bair Dair or Uair, simply throw the Bomb with the Instant Bomb Throw which you can find a little further down the list. This allows you to break the chain and throw the Bomb instead of using another aerial.
Credit: Fox Is Openly Deceptive

@ Lobos Lobos : The 3ds controls are balls. Especially that joystick. People were complaining about the lack of c-stick, which is bad, but coming from a 64 background, I felt that the lack of a decent joystick hindered me even more. There's so many other little things that irritated me as well, like the size of the 3ds, or the size and placement of the buttons. And look, tbh, you may have a point about Toon being lower tier in this game whether people want to admit that or not, but it's probably best that we withhold judgement till smash Wii-U comes out.

Last edited:

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Nope going from Brawl Toon Link to Smash4, he definitely feels worse,

I consider nerfs:
  • Landing Lag on Zair. Bread and butter, probably the most impactful change imo. Difficult to combo into Nair now, easy for people to avoid the followup. More vulnerable in your projectile Wall+Zair spacing game. Overall just messes up your flow and evasiveness. You pretty much want to always be moving so this limits TL a lot.
  • Bair. No Shorthop double Bair strings/combo. No Bair>Nair, SH FF Bair> Utilt....No Bair>anything really. It's duration is so dam long you have to full jump to get two bairs off. However it might have more kill potential not sure, still not worth.
  • Utilt. It's faster and has string/combo potential, but got it's damage cut in half and less kill potential. Not Worth. Usmash and Utilt was Brawl TL's more reliable kill moves, If Usmash was stale, utilt would probs be fresh enough.
  • Dair. Doesn't Pogo off shield anymore. Can't do SH Bair>Dair and bounce off if they shield. Even easier to punish.
  • Nair. Can't jump again after SH Nair. Used to be able to SH Nair, and jump again before you touch the ground. Made for good evasion and mixup.
  • Projectiles weaker. No quickdraw arrow cancel that I could find.
  • Damage number nerfs
GOOD STUFF:
  • Jump cancel bomb throw feels like it slides further. I could be imagining things
  • ^Combined with on-hit bombs not damaging TL (significant change) means it can be used UP CLOSE as a set up and combo. JC forward bomb throw>Usmash, Jump Bomb throw>Fair for example.
  • Still can SH Fair, and jump again before you land. So yeah lol
  • Can't think of anything else :/
A lot of small changes that fuse to make Toon Link feel clunky as ****. He still plays the same in that you throw projectiles, swat them away with Zair>Nair/Bair. Feels less fluid and more limited in options due to landing lag and long aerial durations.

Made the decision to not main TL again months ago to keep things interesting/challenging. This just further cements that.

EDIT: Interesting Bomb Tech tho FIOD. See how it pans out :)

Last edited:

Rioru

Smash Rookie
Hi !
I made a video with some Bomb Advanced Techniques for Toon Link, here it is
There's probably a lot more to discover :)

Mota

Great video Rioru. Canceling Fair and zair lag seems the most useful. Awesome stuff!

With regards to the controls, it felt unresposive at first, but i got used to em after a dozen matches.
Hand cramps galore tho.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Nope going from Brawl Toon Link to Smash4, he definitely feels worse,

I consider nerfs:
  • Landing Lag on Zair. Bread and butter, probably the most impactful change imo. Difficult to combo into Nair now, easy for people to avoid the followup. More vulnerable in your projectile Wall+Zair spacing game. Overall just messes up your flow and evasiveness. You pretty much want to always be moving so this limits TL a lot.
  • Bair. No Shorthop double Bair strings/combo. No Bair>Nair, SH FF Bair> Utilt....No Bair>anything really. It's duration is so dam long you have to full jump to get two bairs off. However it might have more kill potential not sure, still not worth.
  • Utilt. It's faster and has string/combo potential, but got it's damage cut in half and less kill potential. Not Worth. Usmash and Utilt was Brawl TL's more reliable kill moves, If Usmash was stale, utilt would probs be fresh enough.
  • Dair. Doesn't Pogo off shield anymore. Can't do SH Bair>Dair and bounce off if they shield. Even easier to punish.
  • Nair. Can't jump again after SH Nair. Used to be able to SH Nair, and jump again before you touch the ground. Made for good evasion and mixup.
  • Projectiles weaker. No quickdraw arrow cancel that I could find.
  • Damage number nerfs
GOOD STUFF:
  • Jump cancel bomb throw feels like it slides further. I could be imagining things
  • ^Combined with on-hit bombs not damaging TL (significant change) means it can be used UP CLOSE as a set up and combo. JC forward bomb throw>Usmash, Jump Bomb throw>Fair for example.
  • Still can SH Fair, and jump again before you land. So yeah lol
  • Can't think of anything else :/
A lot of small changes that fuse to make Toon Link feel clunky as ****. He still plays the same in that you throw projectiles, swat them away with Zair>Nair/Bair. Feels less fluid and more limited in options due to landing lag and long aerial durations.

Made the decision to not main TL again months ago to keep things interesting/challenging. This just further cements that.

EDIT: Interesting Bomb Tech tho FIOD. See how it pans out :)
How is nair landing lag? and what about fullhop nair? I've always found that SH should be landed anyway, since it's bad if you're caught and cornered using up a double jump... it really restricts your options although there is that first frame jump thing with double jumps, which is helpful.
But yeah, I don't know, I don't see not being able to DJ out of SH nair as too much of a nerf, or do most people use actually use sh nair -> dj and I should use it more often?
Is it still not possible doing a pivot bomb throw without JCing it?

Oh yeah. Do you guys think this bomb cancelling thing can help with our offstage dair...? If it was like how it was in Brawl, then it only spikes on the first few frames anyway, and we can just cancel the rest instead of helplessly falling down.
Another question, is the bomb throw b-reversible, or at least able to do a turnaround on? because bair -> bomb throw looks like it will be REALLY nice if we can actually get the bomb to connect, heh.

Last edited:

Mota

How is nair landing lag?.
The landing lag of Nair isnt a problem, it's the duration of the aerial not allowing for a another jump before you land from SH.
Just a preference of mine. It allowed for SH nair > arrow cancel, or double jump away bomb pull. Just another option, which is always a good thing.

Top Bottom