• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link General Information Discussion Thread

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Regular link is rank higher than young link in melee
No.

Young Link passed him in the tiers a year ago, and will probably never drop below him. And even then, before that, Link had been 1 spot higher for over half a decade.

Young Link counters a high tier character in Jigglypuff, whereas Link counters no higher tiered character.

Last edited:

tetraforce

Smash Rookie
I'm looking at the official tier super smash bros Wiki list it still says link is higher than young link if young link is some how higher its then its not official yet since link has occupied the spot for a decade and young link has only been higher for a year that would imply he is going to drop again or people thinks its some type of fluke any way I would hardly call the child links being better a tradition it only really occurred in brawl

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Probably not a popular idea, but since TL still has the same semi-cloonish B-moves as Link,
it wouldn't hurt if some of his custom moves were standardlized for tournament play.
I don't actually think this is good idea myself, but for the sake of sepparating the two even more.
I guess I'm only mad because they didn't give him Bombchus.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So apparently Tink can't quickdraw this game, which to me was the main use of his bow in Brawl. Are there any other competitive uses of his bow? I hate the idea of not using one of his weapons, but at the same time I don't want to use it if it's suboptimal in basically every circumstance.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
So apparently Tink can't quickdraw this game, which to me was the main use of his bow in Brawl. Are there any other competitive uses of his bow? I hate the idea of not using one of his weapons, but at the same time I don't want to use it if it's suboptimal in basically every circumstance.
Eh, who knows how his different move variations will work, though. Obviously, I'm disappointed that they continually make the bow one of the worst projectiles in the game, but still... we don't know the full extent of its capabilities and options yet, and we probably won't until the game's released.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
@ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8
Ahh, the aerial spike doesn't make TL bounce off anymore? Or something? He goes through Kirby but then bounces slightly on Greninja... Hrmm.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wait, I'm a bit confused. So Toon Link goes through his opponents during the earlier part of his D-air but can bounce slightly off another around the end of the animation?

Guess I should wait until the games come out and experiment a little with his D-air.... Though perhaps to be safe, I should kinda get off the habit of using his D-air as much in Brawl because I can foresee myself making some silly self destructs with the changes of this move....

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
I love Toon Link, he is awesome.

But I personally think he is a waste of a character. He is Link, just cartoony and with a few minor tweaks and moves. I liked him in Brawl because he was a newcomer (poor reason, but meh), but I sort of wished his time was up since there probably will not be a Zelda newcomer in Smash 4 due to him being a veteran now and it looks like there will be a limit of five characters per franchise.
And let's face it, Ganondorf is bound to return. That's the only problem I have with Toon Link.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We don't know what "the limit" is in terms of how many characters a series will be given this time around, if Sakurai wants to include another Zelda character, then he can go ahead and do so, in fact he planned to give us 7 Zelda characters (or 5 if you're the type who doesn't include transformations despite that Sakurai himself does) in Brawl so if he feels that the Zelda franchise (as well as Mario and Pokemon) can have more than 5 characters then he will go ahead and do so.

Besides, which characters he wants to include and considers is done from the very early stages of development, so if said character doesn't make it in, chances are they where probably never planned to be included to begin with and not because another character "took their place". (either that or because they where simply of a lower priority or there was a lack of time to complete them)

Just my two cents here.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Toon Link's custom specials should have him using items like the Deku Leaf and Skull Hammer, instead of just variations of his bow, bombs, etc. Even if it's just variations, still maining Toon Link

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Toon Link's custom specials should have him using items like the Deku Leaf and Skull Hammer, instead of just variations of his bow, bombs, etc. Even if it's just variations, still maining Toon Link
That would be pretty neat, but I'm still hoping to see Fire and Ice Arrows.

zombieRabbidz

Smash Journeyman
I think because i hate characters that have the same final smash as much as i hate clones (toon link is not a clone in my opinion) that toon links final smash should be changed to the wind waker where he plays the winds requiem and all the characters on screen get BLOWN OFF STAGE by a massive gust of wind!

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Lots of details from NintendoEverything:
http://nintendoeverything.com/lots-of-super-smash-bros-for-3d...

• This is from a demo event in Japan
  • Someone provided some impressions
  • Peach's butt bomb is a lot stronger
  • Link has a red costume with markings underneath his eyes
  • Toon Link has the four swords colors and the old style Link color
  • There is no Outset Island Toon Link
  • Pac-Man is slow
  • Zelda has a white costume
  • Chrom appears in Robin's victory pose
  • Nintendo was very strict about pictures and video at the event
  • Olimar has an Alph alt
  • Fox has a Wolf palette swap
  • Glasses Pikachu confirmed
  • Fierce Deity Link confirmed
  • These other colors and costumes are rumored at the moment
  • Fire Peach is a Peach alt
  • Black and purple Yoshis confirmed
  • Palutena has a Viridi color scheme
  • Dark Meta Knight and Galacta Knight are Meta Knight alts
  • Shiny Charizard is an Charziard alt
  • Pac-Man can wear accessories
http://nintendoeverything.com/lots-of-super-smash-bros-for-3d...

I'll be posting this information on threads that contain the characters mentioned and on the social thread. You can read in better detail by clicking on the link.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****.

According to GimR playing at a Best Buy demo, Zair autocancells like it does in Brawl (normal landing lag).
It can also cancel airdodge. As all of us, or maybe some of us know now, airdodging into the ground has a lot of lag in Sm4sh. Therefore, right before oyu hit the ground, you can zair to cancel out your lag. This is probably old news, but I dunno, maybe worth noting.

also:
You can still hold an item while Zairing by cancelling your airdodge with zair while holding an item. In Brawl, because the Zair had low knockback, you could immediately autocancel the zair on the ground, and follow up with a bomb- definitely not guaranteed with the low hitstun, but still works most of the time.

If Toon still retains his camping properties (mostly, camping in the air) then this is a GREAT component that can move over to Smash 4 from Brawl.

Kunai KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
From what I can see is, that Toon Link will be Low Tier this time.

All Attacks are damage nerfed, his Dair/Pogo is gone, which was really good for Combos. Also he got lesser Killpower :/
Zair Nerf, Bair Nerf, Dair Nerf, Up-Smash Nerf.

Not sure if I´m going to main him like in Brawl, but I will try for sure.
Dont forget guys, thats my opinion.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

All Attacks are damage nerfed, his Dair/Pogo is gone, which was really good for Combos. Also he got lesser Killpower :/

Not sure if I´m going to main him like in Brawl, but I will try for sure.
Oh well that's a bit of a shame to hear. Did you get to play as Toon Link with the final release? Guess I'm going to have to try him out for myself and see once the full game comes out.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
We really need to see a match to see how much the changes have affected him.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Well, Toon never really used Dair anyway. :p It's generally just not a very safe option in both Brawl and Sm4sh. Although, no pogo... what will his spike be now? T-T (Dtilt please?)
Normal Link has an INSANE double jump though, compared to the past Smash games. I'm not very sure about how his recovery is compared to other characters.
I might switch over to Link for Sm4sh, because I mean, I dunno, I at least ASSUME that Link has better damage on his projectiles again. Toon's Boomerang is still better in many, aspects though.

I actually prefer Toon's arrows to Link's because of my playstyle... yes, Toon's are slower, but that also means that there's a hitbox that is there for a LONGER DURATION. There's a more effective wall that is created with TL.

Last edited:

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583

Even though his attacks could of gotten nerfed, is he still viable to the point where he racks up percentage by combo counts while doing for example Grab+Uptilt+Uptilt+Bair+Bair+Etc.?

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Yeahh.... a thing to note is that Sm4sh is a lot more combo-oriented than Brawl. :/
Toon is a projectile-based char, and most likely, he will have frame data that's not all that great, just like he did in Brawl (Fastest moves came out in 6 frames)

I dunno, Young Link fared pretty well in Melee.
I honestly have watch almost no Melee Link matches, so idk how that goes...

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
Yeahh.... a thing to note is that Sm4sh is a lot more combo-oriented than Brawl. :/
Toon is a projectile-based char, and most likely, he will have frame data that's not all that great, just like he did in Brawl (Fastest moves came out in 6 frames)
Y'know.. im trying to find a good video showing proper use of TL on SSB4 but everything so far is utter garbage lol, only place where you might see some good stuff may only be on live stream. I really cant wait to try him out /:
The demo isn't enough for me, I need me the Outset Island Hero c:

Kunai KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
Well you should know that Double Bair doesnt work anymore. So i dont see any combos, except with his projectiles involved, which got nerfed a bit. Even you saw him doing it in the recent WII U Version in MegaMan Trailer. I didnt see it in the Final Build on 3DS. Someone checked this aspect right now. Here you can see some of his debuffs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Bb8735S88

I even made a list to check how his damage went lower:
Jab Brawl: [3% / 2% /5%]
Jab 3DSV: [3% / 2% / 4%] --- [0% / 0% / -1%]

Bumerang Close Range Brawl: [11%]
Bumerang Close Range 3DSV: [8%] --- [- 3%]

Uptilt Brawl: [9%]
Uptilt 3DSV: [5%] --- [- 4%]

UpSmash (Full Charged) Brawl: [21%]
UpSmash (Full Charged) 3DS : [21%] --- [-0%]

Ftilt Brawl: [10%]
Ftilt 3DSV: [9%] --- [-1%]

Dtilt Brawl: [9%]
Dtilt 3DSV: [7%] --- [-3%]

Nair Brawl Double Hit: [10% / 10%]
Nair 3DSV Double Hit: [9% / 7%] --- [-1% / - 3%]

Fair Brawl: [13%]
Fair 3DSV: [13%] --- [0%]

Dair Brawl: [16% / 8%]
Dair 3DSV: [16%] --- [-0% / -8%]
No Pogo

F-Smash Brawl: [10% / 13]
F-Smash 3DSV: [10% / 11%] --- [0% / -2%]]

Toon Link won't have any Killpower, and he needs a lot of time to rack up damage now. And if you see in the 3DS Version the Blast Zones got bigger, I guess it wil take more time to kill someone. I will get the version very soon, than i will check if Double Bair works or doesn't work.

If I get my version I will tell you a bit about TL =)

@Dair
Bair Footstool Dair was guarantee on many of the Smash Cast. xD
Ok it was a difficult option to pull off, but i used it a lot.

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
Well you should know that Double Bair doesnt work anymore. So i dont see any combos, except with his projectiles involved, which got nerfed a bit. Even you saw him doing it in the recent WII U Version in MegaMan Trailer. I didnt see it in the Final Build on 3DS. Someone checked this aspect right now. Here you can see some of his debuffs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Bb8735S88

I even made a list to check how his damage went lower:
Jab Brawl: [3% / 2% /5%]
Jab 3DSV: [3% / 2% / 4%] --- [0% / 0% / -1%]

Bumerang Close Range Brawl: [11%]
Bumerang Close Range 3DSV: [8%] --- [- 3%]

Uptilt Brawl: [9%]
Uptilt 3DSV: [5%] --- [- 4%]

UpSmash (Full Charged) Brawl: [21%]
UpSmash (Full Charged) 3DS : [21%] --- [-0%]

Ftilt Brawl: [10%]
Ftilt 3DSV: [9%] --- [-1%]

Dtilt Brawl: [9%]
Dtilt 3DSV: [7%] --- [-3%]

Nair Brawl Double Hit: [10% / 10%]
Nair 3DSV Double Hit: [9% / 7%] --- [-1% / - 3%]

Fair Brawl: [13%]
Fair 3DSV: [13%] --- [0%]

Dair Brawl: [16% / 8%]
Dair 3DSV: [16%] --- [-0% / -8%]
No Pogo

F-Smash Brawl: [10% / 13]
F-Smash 3DSV: [10% / 11%] --- [0% / -2%]]

Toon Link won't have any Killpower, and he needs a lot of time to rack up damage now. And if you see in the 3DS Version the Blast Zones got bigger, I guess it wil take more time to kill someone. I will get the version very soon, than i will check if Double Bair works or doesn't work.

If I get my version I will tell you a bit about TL =)
Thanks for all the useful information and the nerf list on his attacks.
A shame to see these nerfs :/
Dat hookshot recovery tho :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Thanks for sharing this Kunai KazeKun. It's indeed a bit of a shame to hear of these nerfs. But I guess I will need to test him for myself to get a good feel of how he is like compared to Brawl. Hopefully he would still be viable though.....

Anyway, I hope some of his costumizable moves can at least assist in buffing him up a little....

Toon Link's Hookshot recovery seems to be better than Link's and overall very buffed though. But that's according to the E3 build. Not sure about the final build.....

Last edited:

Kunai KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
Ähm ok,

i have to correct my preview on the game xD. I mean i didnt know that Toon Link Bombs doesn't hit himself, when he hits the opponent. Thats a huge buff for TL, cause you can Footstool Dair out of it. But i dont know if the opponent ground bounce when he get Meteor'ed. Maybe he have a second hit on Dair, but not sure.

Bomb > Footstool Dair > Ground Bounce > Second Hit of Dair? <-- Should be tested, =)

If it works its really good option for him. He can even grab without getting hit now. His pressure game can be a bit better now.

Shield Pressure like returning Boomerang > Bomb > F-Smash 2 Hits should work, if the timing is correct.
Looks like i have a lot to test now xD I will do it, when I get my version fo the game xD
Wish us Mainer Luck!

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Something interesting, Toon's Boomerang technically wasn't nerfed.

The 11 damage at close range actually is only 8 damage initial, and the RETURNING BOOMERANG damaging the opponent again with an additional 3% damage. Yeah, weird Brawl thing, you can go to Training and hit the opponent around with the boomerang- it'll say that it was 2 consecutive hits.
Same thing with boomerang from far away; I'm not very sure, I think it does 5 damage, and 3% while returning, for a total of 8%.

It's unfortunate that in the VGBC demo video, that they did charged smashes -.-
Was it charged dsmash? I forgot...

But yeah, loss of the SH double Bair is unfortunate -.-
I REALLY hope that it was just some kind of thing where you can't string Bairs together, rather than just not being able to do anything for the whole duration of time...
It's probably as fast as Nair now or something, in which case, Nair is 100% better than Bair, except for the occasion when you use bair because of staling. I don't know how fast Nair really is, but yeah.
Another thing though: it's not the final build... and in the direct, he DOES have SH double Bair: http://smashboards.com/threads/toon-link.324207/page-12#post-17206322
It doesn't seem like the second hitbox comes out though. BUT STILL, THERE'S HOPE. :(

Looking at the video again (http://youtu.be/_7Bb8735S88?t=1m22s), holy ****, utilt is pretty buffed, in base knockback anyways. Maybe the knockback scaling won't be as nice (not a kill move like it was in Brawl)
utilt doing 5 damage AND insane base knockback? It's DEFINITELY a combo starter.

Okay. Uair seems to have a much shorter duration (2:14)
This can be good and bad. Uair ofc, has insane landing lag, so shortening the duration WILL help with preventing you from landing with a uair.
BUT a REALLY nice thing about Uair... is its duration lol
it can literally outlast airdodges. So in Brawl, if you uair someone recovering from above and they airdodge, just follow their DI, and you might be able to hit them.

Zair cancelling airdodges will definitely be a huge advantage for tether users.

Zair recoveries, I literally have not seen people do that effect that happens when you double-click the Zair in Brawl (You return to the ledge very quickly). I've only seen them hanging, and THEN pulling to the ledge, EVEN ON STREAMS
nerf, for obvious reasons.

Apparently Dair still spikes, but TL doesn't go down as fast -.-
So I wonder how that will go :p
I guess you'll still be able to recover if you do it early enough, but...
What if the base knockback of the meteor sends the opponent downward at a speed that is lower than Toon's descent? That would be... weird... and very punishable.

Oh yeah, a cool thing to note, the beginning of normal Link's dair is a spike now.

Last edited:

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Hello, new here. I am a huge fan of Link (including toon link) and really what to main the Tink in ssb4. However, with all these nerfs, I am start to worry about him. IS he still good and fun to play with or is he the new brawl Link D=. However, after watch some video's I found out that Toon link's F smash is actually really buff on two matachs vs dedede and falco (I can't post link =( )
And managed to kill them both around the 100-120% mark on final forms of arean Ferox and the mother or earthboud stage (don't know, still a smash noob =/) so I was just wonder you guys opinons,
also if you can, may you be able to translate this famitsu page on toon link, particualr the top right part about his f smash and grab. (again I can't post link, sorry )X )
Unfortunately I won't be able to reply for a while so I am sorry but if you guys could still give your opinion about my post, that would be great thank you

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
For now it's a bit vague in regards to what his status really is imo. Some say he's been nerfed, others say he's still good. I think we will just have to wait until the western release until we can fully find out in regards to what exactly they have done to him.

I certainly hope they didn't make him trade places with Link as he was quite appalling in Brawl. So hopefully any nerfs they've given him doesn't set him back too much. Eitherway, I hope he is at least still a viable character.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Why is the toon link thread so quiet? also, if any can answer, how does tink's fire arrows compare to young link i.e are there distances the same?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If he has received a few notable nerfs I still doubt they would affect him that negatively. I'm not too concerned for him myself atm but we'll see.

Regardless of what does end up happening with him in this installment, he'll still be one of my mains once again.

Top Bottom