• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link combo setup thread

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
I thought of the idea to create a thread where people can discuss combos they came up with. So all you do is post your combo, and explain how to set it up. Tell which characters it is better on etc.
I'll update this post with user submitted combos.

Here is one of my favorite combos:
boomerang>Utilt> up-b
Which characters is it most effective on?: Bowser, DDD, Charizard, ganondorf, yoshi, Ice climbers.
Description:
First you space the opponent with the boomerang. Run across the stage while the opponent is still recovering from knockback. Use Utilt, Then quickly use Up-b (don't charge). This is a great set-up and can easily be combo'd up.

One I used to do when I sucked really bad at this game:

Zair - > dash attack (then, if they trip) -> charge Dsmash.

Dumb people usually roll into you.
Down throw - > Hope they Di into you -> Up b not charged -> which ever way they fall either right or left grab them again -> Try to do anything

I'll edit my post when i have the match i did it on >_>
throw two bombs like the santi bomb and make out your gonna upsmash but grab there shield and up throw the first bomb hits them as you use them as an umbrella ^^ and then the second just before the hitstun stops this is just for degradeing the opponent lol
Here a combo
Throw boomer,(there gnna expect it to come back)
Zair, grab, pummel(if they struggle they'll break loose quicker) then fwrd smash or up smash or up b if u want to rack up sum damage. Im not 100% sure this worx altho all the times i tried it it has worked.
Up tilt, back air(3times, please dnt 4get to short hop) dwn air on stage or off. Dnt be stoopid and dwn air them whn u no there gnna air dodge do it after. Well yay my 3rd post i think..
Down throw - > Hope they Di into you -> Up b not charged -> which ever way they fall either right or left grab them again -> Try to do anything

throw two bombs like the santi bomb and make out your gonna upsmash but grab there shield and up throw the first bomb hits them as you use them as an umbrella ^^ and then the second just before the hitstun stops this is just for degradeing the opponent lol
Zair, to grab dwn grab and peform the mind game chain grab doesn't work on all opponents works best on heavy characters.
ZAir to nair, zair bomb nair, zair bomb usmash or vg combo, bomb zair in one short hop, zair to grab, bair bair, SMS'd arrow to grab, bomb from above to any aerial really, dair pogo to bair, Zair to dash attack, Zair to usmash at high percents, ibomb bair, ibomb usmash, ibomb utilt i ll think of more things i do later.

EDIT: Jab jab spotdodge, bair bair turnaround utilt, nair to nair o_O (i did it once in a vid :p) and still thinking about more.
zair to nair + quickdraw is pretty solid at low %
If you're talking about what moves are "reliable" for setting up combos (other than Jabs) it would be the Zair, Bair, and Utilt.

Zair tends to be a 2-hit combo. Everyone knows you can Zair to Nair (or bomb then Nair). If you hit a low short Zair you can link it into an inescapable combo even if you're opponent is in KO range. But your opponent tends to naturally shield if you get really close. That's pretty much it.

Bair and Utilt goes hand and hand. Both reaches further in the back knocking your opponent up allowing the possibility to linking into each other. You have to put yourself at risk, but there is a good reward if you can start it off.

Anything other than those are more random opportunities you should keep an eye out for. Returning boomerang, random Dairs, or whatever.
After the utilt-> bair chain, on the last bair I DJ at the same time, and knowing the opponent will usually airdodge, throw a boomerang while falling, usually hits.

Zair-> f-tilt and Zair-> grounded Up B work well for me.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
One I used to do when I sucked really bad at this game:

Zair - > dash attack (then, if they trip) -> charge Dsmash.

Dumb people usually roll into you.

magikguy

Smash Lord

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace

Tiersr4Queers

Smash Apprentice
Here.

Here a combo
Throw boomer,(there gnna expect it to come back)
Zair, grab, pummel(if they struggle they'll break loose quicker) then fwrd smash or up smash or up b if u want to rack up sum damage. Im not 100% sure this worx altho all the times i tried it it has worked.
Up tilt, back air(3times, please dnt 4get to short hop) dwn air on stage or off. Dnt be stoopid and dwn air them whn u no there gnna air dodge do it after. Well yay my 3rd post i think..

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
ZAir to nair, zair bomb nair, zair bomb usmash or vg combo, bomb zair in one short hop, zair to grab, bair bair, SMS'd arrow to grab, bomb from above to any aerial really, dair pogo to bair, Zair to dash attack, Zair to usmash at high percents, ibomb bair, ibomb usmash, ibomb utilt i ll think of more things i do later.

EDIT: Jab jab spotdodge, bair bair turnaround utilt, nair to nair o_O (i did it once in a vid :p) and still thinking about more.

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
dair pogo footstool dair to bair or n/f air depending on their di afterwords.
rapesauce

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
If you're talking about what moves are "reliable" for setting up combos (other than Jabs) it would be the Zair, Bair, and Utilt.

Zair tends to be a 2-hit combo. Everyone knows you can Zair to Nair (or bomb then Nair). If you hit a low short Zair you can link it into an inescapable combo even if you're opponent is in KO range. But your opponent tends to naturally shield if you get really close. That's pretty much it.

Bair and Utilt goes hand and hand. Both reaches further in the back knocking your opponent up allowing the possibility to linking into each other. You have to put yourself at risk, but there is a good reward if you can start it off.

Anything other than those are more random opportunities you should keep an eye out for. Returning boomerang, random Dairs, or whatever.

NearZzz

Smash Lord
After the utilt-> bair chain, on the last bair I DJ at the same time, and knowing the opponent will usually airdodge, throw a boomerang while falling, usually hits.

Zair-> f-tilt and Zair-> grounded Up B work well for me.

Sean~

Smash Apprentice
Zair > Throw bom > Zair again > Grab > Pummel > Dthrow ( loosen ur fantasy )

I always throw a Boomer behind them, Then Pick a bom Quick Draw, then Throw, if it hits, boomerang comes back and i F-air.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Bomb foreward > Fair

Simple and very effective killing move. Can be use while opponent is in the air or on the ground.

At high %'s Bomb up > Up B

I have nothing more to say.

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
Sure thats a combo? sounds more like a lucky shot.
The bomb will most likely be cancelled out by sheild/dodge rolling. Fair is slow as it is, wouldnt it be shielded and countered with a grab of a smash attack?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
If everyone sheilded when they were supposed to then there would be no point in playing a match, cuz then you'd have srsly stalled matches of campers and sheilders. And trust me From 64 all the way up to brawl, it never has failed me.

as for the Bomb > up B, that has declined with Link's abilities. 64 was beast knock back, Meele was fair less knock back but I soon managed to adjust bombing to meele and that move to make it a killer, now that Link can use that move worth anything in Brawl, I went to TL, TL has the closes spin to Meele Link's, in brawl however the aerial spin is practically worthless in this game seeing as the high % = close to 200.

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
If everyone sheilded when they were supposed to then there would be no point in playing a match, cuz then you'd have srsly stalled matches of campers and sheilders. And trust me From 64 all the way up to brawl, it never has failed me.

as for the Bomb > up B, that has declined with Link's abilities. 64 was beast knock back, Meele was fair less knock back but I soon managed to adjust bombing to meele and that move to make it a killer, now that Link can use that move worth anything in Brawl, I went to TL, TL has the closes spin to Meele Link's, in brawl however the aerial spin is practically worthless in this game seeing as the high % = close to 200.
however the lag from fair could be cancelled out upon landing. This move is best used off edge.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
like i said, it can be used in the air, it doesnt matter if its in the stage zone or off it.

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
If your on stage, the bomb would have to send the opponent flying to the "mid level" part of the stage for fair to hit. After being hit with bomb they are most likely going to recover. This combo would be great but it needs more to it than bomb>fair. Actually bomb>(insert moveset here)> fair would be an awsome combo.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
there was a move back in meele I would get alot on CPUs and opccasionally on my friends as link where I would jump foreward > d-throw bomb > throw 'rang when ladning past them > fair. It was a beauty. TL, I havent really thought of using it, not to mention with that blast radius, downd stuff with his range is a bit hard.

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
Trust me it works. Just work on targeting with a rang. It causes beatiful backstun, perfect for a fair!

Bomber7

Smash Hero
ok I'll try it tommorow when I'm brawling my friend tommorow, or even befor that I'll try it on training mode.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I just had another idea. I think I'm gona bring over my GC so when I'm not playing brawl, I can play Meele. I'm gona practice Link and pay attention as to what moves I used to use in that game. Then I'm going to integrate that into brawl. To be honest my bombing was better in 64 and meele than it is in brawl. I know if I can somehow get back to that old rythem since I'm sorta adjusted to TL, I can become a brawl bomber. =D

Tiersr4Queers

Smash Apprentice
Back 2 combos...ok zair(close) fwrd smash.
Pull out bomb,air dodge, zair,thrw bomb grab. I tried this only most pple it worx idk about kirby or meta. Up! Just tried it its way more effective on them. Especially heavy cuz they sink dwn. Zair(close) dsmash.

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
Back 2 combos...ok zair(close) fwrd smash.
Pull out bomb,air dodge, zair,thrw bomb grab. I tried this only most pple it worx idk about kirby or meta. Up! Just tried it its way more effective on them. Especially heavy cuz they sink dwn. Zair(close) dsmash.
Thats a silent but deadly combo!
It has a wide range for attack.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I have a bunch of little things i do with toon link as combos set ups. I havent really read through this thread, but a few combos i like to do are.

Actually my favorite combo to pull off with toon link, ive been playing around with for a long time, and found this to be the best setup for this combo. I forget how much % it can actually do when fresh but i know it goes from like 0-70+%damage. I have an example of this in my clans combo video thing if u wanna look it up. "Street Brawlers"
-utilt(1-3 hits based on weight)>Nair>Jump(before you hit the ground)>Dair(2 hits)> Aerial Spin attack to finish

Jab Cancel combo i've used before for fun mostly but got it to work a few times.
-Jab>Jab>Utilt>Jab>Jab>Utilt>Utilt>Bair or Nair

Short but simple combo that seems to work alot, just be sure to follow them closely.
-Nair>Arrow Cancel>Grab

Simple Projectile combo. If one hits the following ones may hit. Also good if ur opponents tend to spot dodge your projectile attacks.
-Boomerang>SH Bomb throw>Arrow Cancel

Chain grabs which many know about. I've actually hit someone with 5 in a row, even though it does crap for damage, its still interesting.
-Bthrow or Dthrow

Combo Finishing
-I always try to finish off a combo with a boomerang or arrow, since there's a chance it may stun them long enough for you to continue to hit them. Especially at high%, it gives you a good chance to land a killing fair or something.

Theres probably more stuff i do but i cant really think about it atm, that and i do them mostly out of reaction rather then planning.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
jab, boomerang, sh bomb throw, sh boomerang (over target), grab, pummel, fthrow, boomerang returns, regrab. profit

Alzi

Smash Master
Back air -> Up tilt -> back air to arrow cancel jab twice -> grab -> down throw -> grab again -> down throw -> uair/side smash.

Cheesewulf

Smash Cadet
DThrow > Bair (>Bair >Bair >... depending on %)

when I get the chance:
Dair, doublehop on the opponent and then Nair, works quite good at low percentages

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
Zair > Zair > pullbomb > airdodge zair > throw bomb > low Zair > Grab > beat up till release > Nair > arrow cancel > SHDA > Rang > pull bomb and throw up > pull another Ibomb > upsmash. thats for noobs or ppl who like to jump into the Zair ****

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
These are some killer combos! to bad there are to MANY good combos... Its these times I wish i could copy and paste....

Top Bottom