• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too many Joke characters?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
This of course is all opinions, some opinions are more logical than others. You guys are defending a character you will not even play yourself.
Are yall still arguing with this 12 year old?
You have all stated your points and he has offered nothing to counter it, just let him have the last word or make your arguments more idiotic than his because this thread has made me laugh harder than any other I've seen here.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
People are getting a bit too defensive even though this is an opinion based thread. I don't know what to say against temper tantrums.

I'm just going to go on a whim and say you are a troll. If you are trolling, congrats. If not.....you are a clown.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People are getting a bit too defensive even though this is an opinion based thread. I don't know what to say against temper tantrums.
Look. Dude. You're trolling.

Stop baiting people.

It isn't funny.

On the off hand chance that you're serious then get professional help.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
There are characters that from the start have more moveset potential: that is a given. Ike has more moveset potential than ROB for example. However, it doesn't mean Ike should have a priority over ROB as, with enough hard thinking, one can get ROB a moveset and properly balance it for competitive play. Do I have to remind you Brawl was destined to be casual? Sakurai said so himself. In this kind of games, the priority goes to iconic and wanted characters - not those with better moveset possibilities. But then again, I just repeated this whole brainless thread again and you will probably dismiss this as with the other posts.

I actually agree with you as you understood my point. And like you said Brawl was casual right? I'm just worried it's going to stay casual is all. I'll play the game none the less but I hope it does bring back a little more hardcore gaming elements to it.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
XD why'd he have to say Pacman was a stupid character request. I f he had said Goku or Naruto or Spyro or some other 3rd party character who has never seen a nintendo console this argument would never have started.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I actually agree with you as you understood my point. And like you said Brawl was casual right? I'm just worried it's going to stay casual is all. I'll play the game none the less but I hope it does bring back a little more hardcore gaming elements to it.
Even if you think Brawl is casual... IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CHARACTER SELECTIONS.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
This will be my final post on this stupid thread. Every character can have a good, balanced, moveset if you are creative enough. Saying that only certain characters have enough potential is completely opinionated and would be false. I'm abandoning this thread because you don't listen and you keep contradicting yourself. I'm out.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Even if you think Brawl is casual... IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CHARACTER SELECTIONS.

Quoted for truth. SSB4 is supposed to be an in-between of Brawl and Melee but even if it were 10 times more competitive than melee or 10 times more casual than brawl it would NEVER affect the character selection because, once again, provided that if one thinks hard enough, one can come up with a competitive and balanced moveset for a character, no matter how silly. I talked about ROB and Brawl being casual because ROB probably isn't THAT viable because of he never being supposed to be competitive.

I'm all for all kinds of characters in Smash. Mii's? Pacman? Bring 'em in, I'm sure they will be viable now that it isn't just Nintendo doing the balancing.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I just went back and looked at the first post again... and cracked up laughing.
Is it me or is Smash Bros. going in the direction of having too many gimmicky characters instead of solid fighters. I'm looking at it at a competitive point of view of course, I know there's a lot of casual gamers but what about the veterans? One characters which is a popular choice which I don't understand at all is Pac-Man, I'd rather have Lloyd from ToS. Fighters and not clowns please!
This is one of the most nonsensical things I've ever read on this board. As if the inclusion of Pac-Man would make the game less competitive, and the inclusion of Lloyd would suddenly make it more competitive... And this guy wants to talk about "logical opinions" lolwut.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
Quoted for truth. SSB4 is supposed to be an in-between of Brawl and Melee but even if it were 10 times more competitive than melee or 10 times more casual than brawl it would NEVER affect the character selection because, once again, provided that if one thinks hard enough, one can come up with a competitive and balanced moveset for a character, no matter how silly. I talked about ROB and Brawl being casual because ROB probably isn't THAT viable because of he never being supposed to be competitive.

I'm all for all kinds of characters in Smash. Mii's? Pacman? Bring 'em in, I'm sure they will be viable now that it isn't just Nintendo doing the balancing.

Let's bloody well hope so lol. I guess playing brawl after so much melee has given me that fear of disappointment.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Let's bloody well hope so lol. I guess playing brawl after so much melee has given me that fear of disappointment.
You do know that your still not off the hook. All you said was that you want SSB4 not to suck. Which we all agree on. However, your still wrong on this whole character selection thing.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
You do know that your still not off the hook. All you said was that you want SSB4 not to suck. Which we all agree on. However, your still wrong on this whole character selection thing.

I just prefer some styles of fighting than others, we all can't agree on that of course. It's just a thought, it wasn't suppose to cause a riot lool.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I just prefer some styles of fighting than others, we all can't agree on that of course. It's just a thought, it wasn't suppose to cause a riot lool.
now your trying to turn this into a generic casual va hardcore thread! I'm done, your the AT&T of people.

Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice
guys i kind of want to main WFT when ssb4 comes out btw, i've always had good experience maining the hot chicks ;D

max.

Smash Rookie
I don't care if a character is comical or serious. I just want characters who represent Nintendo history and play originally. When it comes to 3rd party characters you must pick someone who is iconic. Pac-Man outclasses Lloyd by a large margin in that aspect.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Why isn't this thread closed yet? On a related matter, there is no such thing as a "joke" character. It's all in one's mind. People say Pichu was joke character just because Sakurai said he was. I have a difference of opinion that, with the right player, Pichu can be mastered. It's all psychology, really, which is what I intend to study in the near future.

TigerBizNiz

Smash Apprentice
I don't see what's wrong with gimmicky characters or why they're considered "joke" characters. :urg: Villager and Wii Fit Trainer (assuming you're talking about those two) were more of a surprise rather than a joke (at least to me). Not to mention, Wii Fit and Animal Crossing were some of Nintendo's most successful games so it's fitting they get in. But I guess some people need to rant for the sake of ranting.. :ohwell:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Okay guys, the animosity in this thread is getting nobody anywhere. Let's just drop the topic and let it die until a mod can come and lock this so we can manage more civil conversations on top of the forum.

grizby2

Smash Lord
what I think the op is trying to say is that theres plenty of other characters that had better moveset potential than, say, the villager's, and fit better into smash bros without being gimmiky.

what he forgot is...
THIS IS SMASH BROS.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Da Fuq is a joke character?

Game & Watch?

What about Rob?
a joke character would be something that's purposely bad, and the closest thing I can think of in smash would be pichu. but you can still win with pichu by all means.
then theres "clown" characters who are just purposely meant to be funny, like wii fit trainer, or yoshimitsu/dampierre from soul caliber... ect.

has sakurai ever used the term "joke character" in any of his interviews? because now im sorta curious.:ohwell: when wii fit trainer debuted, all I remember him saying was (translated)"was anybody expecting that?"

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
I think you're misunderstanding some of these characters. Smash bros isn't going to have straight up fighters like Megaman, Link, Snake in each character all the time. The series revolves around characters from Nintendo and which they are implemented into the Smash Bros fighting system such as Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Number of Joke Characters in MvC2: 3(Dan,Roll,Servbot)

number of Joke characters in Smash Bros series:1(Pichu)

......yeah, that's quite a lot there.

Top Bottom