• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too many Joke characters?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
But she was the one of the best characters in the game as opposed to be morbidly god awful like in Brawl.

I'm looking at the tier list and it seems like Gannon and Zelda are worse than Jiggs. Does that make them "Joke" characters? Since Captain Falcon is also there in the F tier, does that make HIM a joke character?

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
People need to stop equating the terms "Joke character" and "Bad character."

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Why would the villager be a joke character?

Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's best series

I feel that OP has a hatred towards the characters that were brought into the game. Everyone wants that "one" character to be placed in it, but it is not possible to put in everyone's favorite character in there. At first, I was nervous and worried with the direction Wii Fit Trainer was going. After I actually saw her in action, I had a change of heart and thought she fit the game quite well. It's different, unique, something new...... It's hard to think abstractly and put something new into a game that no one else would think of. People are just upset that their characters aren't in the game and start flaming on every other newcomer that gets shown. If you don't like the character, don't play it. If you don't like the character being in the game....then move on and wait another four years for the next game in the Smash series...

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
A joke character is a character who is put in the game as a joke, like Mega Man in SF x Tekken. None of the characters added so far qualify as joke characters.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm looking at the tier list and it seems like Gannon and Zelda are worse than Jiggs. Does that make them "Joke" characters? Since Captain Falcon is also there in the F tier, does that make HIM a joke character?
I'd argue no because he's simply a bad fighter and it doesn't seem intentional that he's so bad. Jigglypuff, on the other hand, is a disgruntled puffball who likes to sing and dance so you'd expect a character like that to be terrible.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
At first sight the WFT did look like a joke but when I saw her gameplay I was convinced she is pretty viable and brings a unique fighting style. After seeing the Villagers move set I was not really impressed though :\, I agree an animal crossing representative deserves to be in smash but it's hard to make a proper move set for them :O. Smash Bros. is the most unique fighting game already without the inclusion of crazy characters and I don't want people to think that smash bros relies on these wacky characters to be viable. (And I don't mean that Sakurai deciding to use nintendo characters in ssb64 as relying on wacky characters, that was the best decision ever made)

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
This thread basically boils down to. "1) I'm sick of characters being poorly designed, 2) I don't understand why people want certain characters in, and 3) I want certain characters in."

Wacky ≠ Poorly designed.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'd argue no because he's simply a bad fighter and it doesn't seem intentional that he's so bad. Jigglypuff, on the other hand, is a disgruntled puffball who likes to sing and dance so you'd expect a character like that to be terrible.

Okay....so does that mean Snake isn't a joke character? He is odd to be in the game, more so than Jigglypuff in fact. So is a Joke character have to be bad and silly to be a Joke character?

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Villager adds a bunch to the playing field. We haven't seen his full move set yet, but the attack that he has are quite interesting. Villager could potentially be a great 2v2 partner, especially with his D-Smash. We know he has a slingshot, but not too sure how its used, maybe Side B? He also has great counter-play for characters with projectiles.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Okay....so does that mean Snake isn't a joke character? He is odd to be in the game, more so than Jigglypuff in fact. So is a Joke character have to be bad and silly to be a Joke character?
In my eyes, yes. I personally don't equate wacky or unusual characters as being joke characters unless they're also terrible.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
At first sight the WFT did look like a joke but when I saw her gameplay I was convinced she is pretty viable and brings a unique fighting style. After seeing the Villagers move set I was not really impressed though :\, I agree an animal crossing representative deserves to be in smash but it's hard to make a proper move set for them :O. Smash Bros. is the most unique fighting game already without the inclusion of crazy characters and I don't want people to think that smash bros relies on these wacky characters to be viable. (And I don't mean that Sakurai deciding to use nintendo characters in ssb64 as relying on wacky characters, that was the best decision ever made)

You just contradicted your statement within itself. What makes Smash fun is the wacky characters, if you think that if instead we fought using only the alloys and not the characters. Smash wouldn't be loved? No, I believe we would forget it quicker than other old N64 games. The more wacky the characters, the more fun the game is.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
This thread basically boils down to. "1) I'm sick of characters being poorly designed, 2) I don't understand why people want certain characters in, and 3) I want certain characters in."

Wacky ≠ Poorly designed.

I completely agree with you, but sometimes when picking a franchise or character it is hard to design a good character out of it that's why I think picking a character that fits with the concept of smash is more important than anything. The term joke character may have confused everyone, let's change that to "Bad" characters which add nothing incredible to the game lol.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I completely agree with you, but sometimes when picking a franchise or character it is hard to design a good character out of it that's why I think picking a character that fits with the concept of smash is more important than anything. The term joke character may have confused everyone, let's change that to "Bad" characters which add nothing incredible to the game lol.
So Pichu?

He's already gone so... yay!

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Conclusion: We don't want bad silly characters in Smash Bros. In which a plumber fights a space fox while dodging lightning from a electrical rat. I now understand our mindset.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Yeah... I'm definitely sensing that people have wildly differing definitions of a "Joke." character

I would argue that if a "Joke" character is a character whose inclusion is somewhat ironic (such as Game & watch, WFT, R.O.B.), then I would say that a joke character has just as much potential to be very competitively viable, despite the character's ironic inclusion.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
It is still too early to judge on things we haven't seen yet. There is still a whole move set for the Villager to be unveiled.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
ANY character can be designed well. Look at Capcom with Phoenix Wright in MvC3.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
You just contradicted your statement within itself. What makes Smash fun is the wacky characters, if you think that if instead we fought using only the alloys and not the characters. Smash wouldn't be loved? No, I believe we would forget it quicker than other old N64 games. The more wacky the characters, the more fun the game is.
You didn't understand me properly. I mean the series is standing out already due to the nature of it and the current characters and think that we don't need over the top characters to be added to make it any more successful.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Joke characters by definition are character purposely designed to be bad in an effort to be funny.

Pichu is the only joke character in smash.

Jigglypuff may have been one in 64, but she is no longer one.

A character that fights in a funny or silly way is a fighting clown.

You didn't understand me properly. I mean the series is standing out already due to the nature of it and the current characters and think that we don't need over the top characters to be added to make it any more successful.
Without the over the top characters, the cast would get stale pretty quickly.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni

So what if we don't NEED them. People WANT them. Just because you don't doesn't mean that doing it is somehow a bad idea.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
I dont think the series ever had too many joke characters. WFT is the only one that comes to mind. some were stupid but not jokey.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
The characters that are being added aren't being added because they're over the top, they're being added because Sakurai wants them in the game.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Joke characters by definition are character purposely designed to be bad in an effort to be funny.

Pichu is the only joke character in smash.
Do you have some sort of source stating that Pichu was INTENTIONALLY bad as a fighter? I've always seen Pichu as poorly executed.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Joke Character =/= Bad Character. Joke characters are over the top silly with their inclusion. (R.O.B., Mr. G&W, Wii Fit Trainer). Bad Characters are just bad.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Do you have some sort of source stating that Pichu was INTENTIONALLY bad as a fighter? I've always seen Pichu as poorly executed.
His trophy stated that you needed to rely on items to be good with him.

That says enough.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Pretty much what everyone said. Miss Fit is a lot way "badass normal improbable martial arts" user and she looks way well-done in that deparment. It takes quite a big effort to make these sort of characters look fun to play despite how crazy and improbable they'll be. It's very respectable sight when one succeeds on that.

Villager just does things we all loved to do in Animal Crossing, and boy he's done well to translate all that to Smash Bros.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Joke Character =/= Bad Character. Joke characters are over the top silly with their inclusion. (R.O.B., Mr. G&W, Wii Fit Trainer). Bad Characters are just bad.
That's not the definition of joke characters either. A joke character is a character that was added or created AS a joke. Like Dan in Street Fighter, Mega Man in SF x Tekken, etc. Mr. Game & Watch isn't a joke character in the slightest.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
joke - something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism,a short and amusing anecdote,or a prankish act

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Definition of a Joke Character, a Lethal Joke Character and a Fighting Clown according to TV Tropes.

Fighting Clown.

This is not the Joke Character, as those are characters that are purposefully bad, nor is it the Lethal Joke Character , which is when a Joke Character utimately has some hidden utility. This is simply a character that just looks and acts silly without being a bad character.
Make of it as you will.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
So what if we don't NEED them. People WANT them. Just because you don't doesn't mean that doing it is somehow a bad idea.

Which means everyone wants a character for the sake of it rather than the gameplay. Therefor I'm talking to mostly casual gamers. I guess the hardcore gamer/ tourney style player is hard to find now.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Which means everyone wants a character for the sake of it rather than the gameplay. Therefor I'm talking to mostly casual gamers. I guess the hardcore gamer/ tourney style player is hard to find now.

What about the characters revealed so far makes them not susceptible to competitive play? You have shown no proof as of yet.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Again...you are really contradicting. Of course we want a character for the sake of the character. That is what smash is about, for both hardcore and casual. If you asked any smash player "What character do you want in the game?" they would say a silly specific character and not "Well, a character with a certain special that could give me a edge in the battlefield." Smash isn't Street Fighter, Smash is not ONLY fighting and its not ONLY silliness. They combine to make something epic and awesome. Why don't you understand that.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You're making a lot of assumptions there.

Tons of them.

Some of them offensive.

You realize most of us are competitive and go to tourneys right?

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Joke Character =/= Bad Character. Joke characters are over the top silly with their inclusion. (R.O.B., Mr. G&W, Wii Fit Trainer).
thats what i thought he meant too. Pichu's not a joke character, hes a pathetic character that was rushed into a slot destined for wario cause melee was rushed. Pichu is terrible and not funny in the slightest.

Jigglypuff isnt a joke character either. She's basically Kirby if he ate Lady Gaga.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
What about the characters revealed so far makes them not susceptible to competitive play? You have shown no proof as of yet.

I've already said the WFT move set seems decent to me. I'm talking about what people are hoping for in the game. Some ideas just don't look promising.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni

On the contrary, people who want wacky characters also want them to be competitively viable. That seems to be the point that you can't comprehend. Wacky and competitively viable are not mutually exclusive, as you yourself have stated.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Which means everyone wants a character for the sake of it rather than the gameplay.
The gameplay comes later on. It's not the most important thing.

I've already said the WFT move set seems decent to me. I'm talking about what people are hoping for in the game. Some ideas just don't look promising.
Any character can be good as long as Sakurai makes them good. You can't predetermine how good a character will be. That's the point we're trying to get across.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

See, WFT just contradicted your whole damn theory. A silly character doesn't mean bad gameplay. Why don't you understand that?

Top Bottom