• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too many Joke characters?

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
You're making a lot of assumptions there.

Tons of them.

Some of them offensive.

You realize most of us are competitive and go to tourneys right?

Then you should also want characters which have proper move set potential rather than just gimmicks.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
I've already said the WFT move set seems decent to me. I'm talking about what people are hoping for in the game. Some ideas just don't look promising.

Just relax then and wait till the game comes out. Then criticize it however you like. Making assumptions off a few trailers and not actually playing the game is kind of silly.

Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice
I've already said the WFT move set seems decent to me. I'm talking about what people are hoping for in the game. Some ideas just don't look promising.

ok, run by me the idea of captain falcon please - he's a character who in his game has no fighting moves. f-zero fans were probably pretty happy their game would have representation, and no one had any idea what kind of moves he'd have. but look at him now - he's one of the most iconic smash bros characters, both in game representation/personality (if you'll allow me to call it that), and in moveset/gameplay.

right now just bask in the character concepts and be excited by them, and then when the game is released talk **** about ideas and movesets.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Then you should also want characters which have proper move set potential rather than just gimmicks.
What part of we don't like Pichu do you understand?

How is R.O.B. a gimmick?

How are fighting clowns gimmicks?

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
PRAY TELL: Who wants characters that are nothing more than just gimmicks? EVERY CHARACTER has "proper moveset potential," as proven by WFT.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

You are really trying my patients. Where does it say that a silly character has to have a ****ty moveset? ANY character, no matter the silly/seriousness can have good balanced movesets. Look at all of those create-a-charater threads. Most of them have decent movesets.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
You guys don't get my point. It would be easier to make some characters with better move sets according to their games. There are limitations to each franchise. Sakurai can make any move set but it must make sense. Some characters will be very limited because of the nature of their game. Which is why I say characters should be picked upon the possible move sets rather than gimmicks.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
You guys don't get my point. It would be easier to make some characters with better move sets according to their games. There are limitations to each franchise. Sakurai can make any move set but it must make sense. Some characters will be very limited because of the nature of their game. Which is why I say characters should be picked upon the possible move sets rather than gimmicks.
Captain Falcon. Your argument is invalid.

Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice
WFT actually has some of the MOST moveset potential i've seen out of some of the joke characters - she's a goddamn fitness trainer whose A-moves will almost obviously be fitness related exercises + kicking ass, and her b moves will probably involve the exercise equipment you use in wii fit (like from the trailer, the hula hoops and whatnot)

Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice

did you read my post? :V

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So how does that apply to competitive play?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

So....you are saying that Sakurai has no creativity? That he can't make silly characters have cool movesets, he sure proved you wrong with WFT.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni

I will only say this one more time...

Every

Conceivable

Character

has the potential for a viable moveset. Sure, some characters' moveset potential is more obvious, like Link, Mario, Pikachu, etc., but that's not a valid reason to ignore other characters that are just as important to NIntendo, even if the source material doesn't naturally lend itself to a fighting game.

I suspect a lock sometime soon.... this thread is going nowhere.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace

How doesn't Wii Fit Trainer's move set fit from her game? How doesn't Villager's move set fit from his game? I don't understand where you are getting at. Each of their abilities is something from the games......Does Villager dig holes? Yes. Does Wii Fit Trainer exercise? Yes. What's taken out of proportion here?

Does Mr.Game and Watch flip bacon? Yes. Does ROB have a spinning top? Yes. Does Jigglypuff sleep? Yes............I could go on and on.....

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I will only say this one more time...

Every

Conceivable

Character

has the potential for a viable moveset. Sure, some characters' moveset potential is more obvious, like Link, Mario, Pikachu, etc., but that's not a valid reason to ignore other characters that are just as important to NIntendo, even if the source material doesn't naturally lend itself to a fighting game.

Completely agree, look at Phoenix Wright in UMvC3. He has one of the most unique movesets in any game ever, but he is still good when used by the right people.

Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice
To be honest the vast majority of the cast (maybe even all) have moves that were just completely made up just so they could have a complete moveset - when does Mario ever do his spike animation or his upair or sexkick in his games? I could be wrong about these, obviously, but the idea still stands.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
So....you are saying that Sakurai has no creativity? That he can't make silly characters have cool movesets, he sure proved you wrong with WFT.

It's not about creativity. It's about the character's potential itself. WTF and Captain Falcon are kinda like a blank canvas and I don't disagree with them both being in the game. I'm talking about characters that have traits which don't suit the game. Not every character out there is a blank canvas.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
To be honest the vast majority of the cast (maybe even all) have moves that were just completely made up just so they could have a complete moveset - when does Mario ever do his spike animation or his upair or sexkick in his games? I could be wrong about these, obviously, but the idea still stands.

Totally agree. This is crazy.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
This guy has a valid point. For most characters, the specials are the only attacks that draw directly from source games. The vast majority of standard attacks are just invented based on the character's personality, and only in some cases, actual canonical attacks.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's not about creativity. It's about the character's potential itself. WTF and Captain Falcon are kinda like a blank canvas and I don't disagree with them both being in the game. I'm talking about characters that have traits which don't suit the game. Not every character out there is a blank canvas.
So...which character in not a black canvas and doesn't suit the game?

Do tell us.

Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice

?????????????????????

you're not making any sense - how could the character being a blank canvas help your point in any way? you just said their game's limitations limited their moveset creativity, which WFT and Captain Falcon obviously disprove. stop trying to act like you still have a valid argument.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Name ANY character, I dare you. And we will create the best moveset for that character. Hell, even the Nintendog would have biting/cuteness powers.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
In Conclusion. Every character that could be made, EVER, can have a possible moveset. Phoenix Wright, Roll, and Mr. Game & Watch proved that to us.

Challenge Accepted:

Up B: Paragoomba

Side B: Goomba Rush

Neutral B: Goomba Head Butt

Down B: Spike Helmet.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You look like the type of guy who would really hate Layton if he were to ever make it in... Ah well, this place is a headache anyway so I guess I should make my leave. *walks away*

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
You look like the type of guy who would really hate Layton if he were to ever make it in... Ah well, this place is a headache anyway so I guess I should make my leave. *walks away*

The thing is Layton can have a moveset. He has fencing abilities for normals. His laytonmobile. PUZZLES!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That's it. I'm maining Big Toe now.

Top Bottom