• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too many Joke characters?

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
Is it me or is Smash Bros. going in the direction of having too many gimmicky characters instead of solid fighters. I'm looking at it at a competitive point of view of course, I know there's a lot of casual gamers but what about the veterans? One characters which is a popular choice which I don't understand at all is Pac-Man, I'd rather have Lloyd from ToS. Fighters and not clowns please!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Goodness gracious.

We get two "casual" characters and the whole world goes nuts.

Can you people really not think about this rationally? We will get "Serious" fighters. Heck we already have "serious" fighters confirmed. Link, Samus, Megaman,etc.

Can people just wait and see what happens instead of freaking out?

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
I'm not talking about the ones that have been added, I'm more concerned about what people want in the game. Do people want to actually battle it out or see their favourite characters there for just the fun of it.

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
This is a game where an Italian plumber, a fox that flies spaceships, an electric rat, and a creampuff try to knock each other into bottemless pits. I don't think silliness is really that out of place.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
What are you talking about? The only joke character we have ever had is Pichu and he's been kicked out a long time ago. I think what you are referring to are fighting clowns.

Plus, this is Super Smash Bros we are talking about. A series with lots of colourful and quirky Nintendo characters (And a few third parties) battling it out. I think you are taking the series a bit too seriously...

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I like to think of them as unique characters who add unique playstyles. They look fun as hell, even competitively.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I Do people want to actually battle it out or see their favourite characters there for just the fun of it.
People want both.

I thought that was obvious.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
So I guess I'm the only one here that hated the entire existence of R.O.B in brawl? lool. Some characters are just better left out as they look out of place in my opinion of course. I'd say I was more pleased with the Melee roster than the Brawl one.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So I guess I'm the only one here that hated the entire existence of R.O.B in brawl? lool. Some characters are just better left out as they look out of place in my opinion of course. I'd say I was more pleased with the Melee roster than the Brawl one.
Oh. You hate R.O.B. huh?

It's one of these guys...

Why do you hate him? Because he took the place of a more "deserving" character? He looked silly? He's not even a fighting clown. If you think R.O.B. is silly than what do you think of Mr. Game & Watch and Wario?

Bedhead

Smash Rookie
I loved R.O.B. personally. I think Smash could use more cute and funny characters. It's not a serious or gritty series, in my eyes.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
Is having an opinion so wrong? Since when was it necessary to agree with everything Sakurai does? Of course there were more deserving characters.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Is having an opinion so wrong? Since when was it necessary to agree with everything Sakurai does? Of course there were more deserving characters.

I don't believe anyone is saying that your opinion is wrong. They are just disagreeing with you.

Well there is always the next smash. Which is is this one by the way. Not all newcomers have been revealed yet.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No. But there's also nothing wrong with stating my opinion.

I don't. Tripping and Pichu were terrible ideas. R.O.B. was a good one.

R.O.B. saved Nintendo in the west. You know that right? He deserves it as much and Mr. Game & Watch.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But joke characters make the Smash games more fun.
Pichu was a joke character.

He was not fun.

R.O.B. was intended to be a serious inclusion.

If you mean WTF or silly picks than yes. We need more!

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
This game and series as a whole is a mash-up of Nintendo characters and other video game icons. Fighting is secondary to that. Pac-Man >>> Lloyd.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
The entire premise of a "joke" character necessitate a subjective opinion that a character is a "joke."

Really, there are no characters that one could really objectively call a "joke" character when there exist people in this world who consider every character in the game to be valuable in one way or another.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
I'm not talking about what made Nintendo successful, plenty of things did. I'm saying characters that fit in with the concept of the game should have more priority. And everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that I said I'm talking more towards the competitive side of smash bros. Yes I agree there should be fun characters but they should be represented in a way it can be fun and competitive at the same time. R.O.B isn't very competitive is he?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The entire premise of a "joke" character necessitate a subjective opinion that a character is a "joke."

Really, there are no characters that one could really objectively call a "joke" character when there exist people in this world who consider every character in the game to be valuable in one way or another.
:pichumelee: ?

I'm not talking about what made Nintendo successful, plenty of things did. I'm saying characters that fit in with the concept of the game should have more priority. And everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that I said I'm talking more towards the competitive side of smash bros. Yes I agree there should be fun characters but they should be represented in a way it can be fun and competitive at the same time. R.O.B isn't very competitive is he?

He's mid tier. So he is competitively viable. But if you just mean cool attacks, fire to the face is awesome!

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni

R.O.B. may not be all that competitive, but that isn't by design. The GOAL was to make all characters equally viable for whatever degree of competition that a player wants to partake in.

A "serious," more mainstream character can be just as much of a competitive "joke" as a character that someone might subjectively think doesn't fit into the game.

I think the real joke is thinking that a character can't fit in Smash Bros...

volbound1700

Smash Master
I actually like playing as Pichu. I do better with him then Mewtwo in Melee. I like all the Smash characters and I wish there was no cuts from Brawl and at least Mewtwo was added back in.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Is it me or is Smash Bros. going in the direction of having too many gimmicky characters instead of solid fighters. I'm looking at it at a competitive point of view of course, I know there's a lot of casual gamers but what about the veterans? One characters which is a popular choice which I don't understand at all is Pac-Man, I'd rather have Lloyd from ToS. Fighters and not clowns please!

Yeah, because a "serious" fighter = great characters, and fun/unique playstyles = lame casual characters

Ganondorf and Link must be top tier in Brawl right?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
We get one "joke" pick per game. Villager is not a joke character. Just because he's not 8'5" and able to deadlift 2000 pounds while slicing through eighteen people at once with a katana doesn't mean that he is not a serious inclusion.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
At the heart of Smash Bros. is a collection of characters that celebrate the heritage of Nintendo, whose movesets are the vehicle by which that heritage is displayed. That is the theme of Smash Bros.

Yes, as a game where players compete against eachother, there is obvious competitive potential, but that is entirely up to the player. Characters are designed, first, to showcase the character, and second, to be a viable fighter. Both aspects are absolutely necessary, but remember the order in which they come.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
It is possible to have fun unique characters in the game, the main problem is having a viable move set. Wario is no less than a clown of a character in terms of looks and personality but they've made him viable due to his move set. I'm not talking only about the looks of the character it's the move set I'm worried about. I'm glad they chose the old school more cartoony look of megaman as it makes sense, I'm not just saying add every single badass in nintendo.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It is possible to have fun unique characters in the game, the main problem is having a viable move set. Wario is no less than a clown of a character in terms of looks and personality but they've made him viable due to his move set. I'm not talking only about the looks of the character it's the move set I'm worried about. I'm glad they chose the old school more cartoony look of megaman as it makes sense, I'm not just saying add every single badass in nintendo.
But Villager's moveset looks great, and so does WFT's.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni

Right. But your original post has the connotation that characters whose movesets are not competitively viable is something that was done intentionally... It ought to be understood that every character is designed to be balanced. Characters that aren't are a result of poor design execution, but not poor intention.

In regards to people's character requests and wishlists, obviously people want their favorite characters to be both unique and have a viable moveset. I don't think anybody sets out to create a character that is supposed to suck compared to the other characters.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how "joke" characters negatively affect competitive play. Aside from pichu, none were designed to be bad. Plus the entire premise of Smash Bros. practically begs for off the wall fighters.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Every character in the game will have a viable moveset... EVERY SINGLE ONE. Whether it be Pac-Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Prince Fluff or Toadette... That's the nature of the game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To me a character is only a joke character if they're terrible too. In my opinion, Pichu was a joke character in Melee and Jigglypuff was one in Brawl. My definition of a joke character is a character that's so weird and so terrible that it's hilarious.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I wouldn't consider Villager a joke character. He should be taken more seriously than this. But when it comes to WFT, it's more along the lines of funny/quirky. (Practically what you would call a "joke" character, but I hate how people use it in that context...)

This also shouldn't affect the game competitively.

To me a character is only a joke character if they're terrible too. In my opinion, Pichu was a joke character in Melee and Jigglypuff was one in Brawl. My definition of a joke character is a character that's so weird and so terrible that it's hilarious.
Jiggs was in melee.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Most games include comedic relief. Wii Fit Trainer fits this perfectly. I'm sure in Tales, Lloyd did some stupid things at one point that wouldn't make him a fighter.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Aight! Letz haz Ryu, Nurutu, Luffy, and Heihachi! Der! We got erselve a serious team!

In all seriousness, thats the fun of smash brothers. I don't want characters that just have a sword, because they're movesets aren't inventive in the slightest. (Ike and Marth i'm talking to you, you may be cool, but your movesets aren't that inventive). Also, who are you talking about specificly....you say that if someone doesn't have a viable moveset they are joke characters. Personally every character in the game in both brawl and melee (except Pichu) is actually playable. So in my eyes there hasn't been a "Joke" character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I wouldn't consider Villager a joke character. He should be taken more seriously than this. But when it comes to WFT, it's more along the lines of funny/quirky. (Practically what you would call a "joke" character, but I hate how people use it in that context...)

Jiggs was in melee.
But she was the one of the best characters in the game as opposed to be morbidly god awful like in Brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why would the villager be a joke character?

Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's best series

Top Bottom