• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tomafia 4: Game Over - Mafia Wins!

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
So what are the votes at RN?
Rockin (2) - lessthanpi, Werekill
TewnLeenk (1) - Matunas
--- (1) - Strong Bad

My trihy vote isn't doing anything, so I will unvote without putting a vote on another player.

Does anyone who hasn't put a vote up have a strong opinion about anyone?
TewnLeenk TewnLeenk
Not asking for a wagon/vote necessarily, just trying to figure out where people are at in terms of reads.

Or like, if you were Cop, is there someone you'd really like to investigate atm?
Vote is on Tewn atm. Want to see his reaction to being voted on. So far he likes it!

I see Strongbad and Werekill as the most vocal and active, neither side, just the easiest to get know what they are saying and where they stand on things.
Rockin and <3 I are the people I want to watch closely, but no strong reason yet.
Everyone else is in the same kinda position of null.
Cop choice to me would be based on final votes, so no answer to that yet. But if there was a free investigation I'm an at random kinda guy.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Vote is on Tewn atm. Want to see his reaction to being voted on. So far he likes it!
LOL ****, I actually put your vote on my tally list immediately before tagging you asking why you hadn't voted. I'm amazing.

that meaaans the person I forgot to tag is:

So what are the votes at RN?
Rockin (2) - lessthanpi, Werekill
TewnLeenk (1) - Matunas
--- (1) - Strong Bad

My trihy vote isn't doing anything, so I will unvote without putting a vote on another player.

Does anyone who hasn't put a vote up have a strong opinion about anyone?

Not asking for a wagon/vote necessarily, just trying to figure out where people are at in terms of reads.

Or like, if you were Cop, is there someone you'd really like to investigate atm?
Can I get --- --- to weigh in on this?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Last edited:

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
t!
Cop choice to me would be based on final votes, so no answer to that yet. But if there was a free investigation I'm an at random kinda guy.
Final votes notwithstanding.... I think it's a far more strategic option to at target the more active / talkative players. knowing you can trust those who are very active in the community is nice. Almost gives you a one way mason. Or a scum! it's win win, at least from my perspective.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Atm, I personally want to put a slight more of a focus on <pi and tewnleenk. despite the early tackle, I'm surprised neither of these two have been approached. Not just cause they're newer players, but maybe it'd help to get more of an idea of how they think?
I'm really struggling. I'm over thinking.

SB and Medi felt off to me from that start. But my interpretation of what they were saying initially was more "let's vote without discussion to get a reaction." And I didn't like that.
The pair has been the most active and were really pushing the direction of conversation until rockin came in.
I dont like SB specifically for implying I was trying to push for no vote.

These aren't super strong but those two I have my eye on the most.

Next is rockin. I dont like that he is getting town vibes on SB. I think he was first to openly admit that.

I'm not getting town vibes from anyone.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Sorry I meant SB and Werekill seem most off followed by Rockin and then no other reads.

No reads on medi or any other unmentioned players.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Atm, I personally want to put a slight more of a focus on <pi and tewnleenk. despite the early tackle, I'm surprised neither of these two have been approached. Not just cause they're newer players, but maybe it'd help to get more of an idea of how they think?

<Pi & tewnleenk - Hello! I just want to ask ya a simple question. is there anyone you feel is scummy/suspicious, and why? I'm not asking for who you believe is town, but I want to get more of an idea to see how you guys see things/think.

I would also like your explanation behind this as well, seeing as you're keen to keeping your vote on me.

Now while I wait for that...
I don't really have a super in depth explanation for it. It's just something I noticed that was slightly off and against the flow of the game. Same thing with <pi being hesitant for voting right out of the gate.

I haven't decided my vote yet, and I'm not saying that these things are directly affecting what I do right now, but they're just things I've noticed. As a noob loser, I'm mostly doing my observing right now and getting a feel for how things are going. But I won't be afraid to throw out a vote.

Also, I guess using the term "callout" was a little mean sounding, so my apologies for that. I mostly meant it was something that stood out to me immediately.

TewnLeenk

BRoomer
And yeah to be honest, I am struggling a little bit here too

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
SB and Medi [sic] felt off to me from that start. But my interpretation of what they were saying initially was more "let's vote without discussion to get a reaction." And I didn't like that.
Cmon dude, random votes at the start of D1 are very common. There's nothing wrong with them and you've never offered any alternative strategy.
I asked you for clarification since you brought up the odds of lynching Mafia on the first night, directly in response to early random votes. I didn't think you were trying to push for a no vote, I was just concerned about the possibility.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Vote: Mediocre Mediocre

I don't have much, if any, vibes thus far. Might as well go with someone I'd like to hear more from.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I'm really struggling. I'm over thinking.

SB and Medi felt off to me from that start. But my interpretation of what they were saying initially was more "let's vote without discussion to get a reaction." And I didn't like that.
The pair has been the most active and were really pushing the direction of conversation until rockin came in.

These aren't super strong but those two I have my eye on the most.

Next is rockin. I dont like that he is getting town vibes on SB. I think he was first to openly admit that.

I'm not getting town vibes from anyone.
I don't quite understand how you're struggling, but it's best to explain your thought process a bit more.

and you are mistaken for the 'town read' on SB. I don't think he's town, just that what he's shown thus far is more of a playstyle then just straight up say he's scummy.

I don't really have a super in depth explanation for it. It's just something I noticed that was slightly off and against the flow of the game. Same thing with <pi being hesitant for voting right out of the gate.

I haven't decided my vote yet, and I'm not saying that these things are directly affecting what I do right now, but they're just things I've noticed. As a noob loser, I'm mostly doing my observing right now and getting a feel for how things are going. But I won't be afraid to throw out a vote.

Also, I guess using the term "callout" was a little mean sounding, so my apologies for that. I mostly meant it was something that stood out to me immediately.
don't need to be in depth. Just explain it the best way you can. I can try and figure it out what your reasonings is. this is why this is a discussion.

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
TewnLeenk TewnLeenk What you are saying so far to me makes sense. The early days in this game are typically a bit strange as far as gathering info.
Unvote: TewnLeenk

Vote: Rockin
I think applying a little pressure is a good place to move forward. You are being slightly aggressive, going after Tewn and <π - telling that his opinion about Strongbad is wrong, and saying you don't think SB is town (something about how it is his playstyle instead).

Waiting on a few more posts from a couple people as well for general reads.

But for now I'd like say that --- is right in prodding Medi a little. But I too would like to hear your ( --- --- ) opinion on anything so far.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Vote: Rockin
I think applying a little pressure is a good place to move forward. You are being slightly aggressive, going after Tewn and <π - telling that his opinion about Strongbad is wrong, and saying you don't think SB is town (something about how it is his playstyle instead).
Matunas, I was correcting him based on what he saw were my thoughts on Strongbad

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Vote Count [5/9 to lynch]:
Rockin (2): <π, Werekill
TewnLeenk (1): Matunas
Mediocre (1): ---
Not voting (5): TewnLeenk, Pythag, Rockin, Mediocre, Strong Bad

Day 1 will end without a lynch on Friday, March 29 at 5:30 CST, or when a player reaches 5/9 votes.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Rockin (2): <π, Werekill
TewnLeenk (1): Matunas

Day 1 will end without a lynch on Friday, March 29 at 5:30 CST, or when a player reaches 5/9 votes.
Is that vote tally accurate Tom Tom ? I just saw Matunas vote for me recently

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I'm really out of practice at this.

Rockin (3): <π, Werekill, Matunas

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah, I'd really like for votes at this point to be more carefully placed. Matunas Matunas are you able to respond to Rockin's correction to your reasoning for voting on him? I went back through the posts and verified that he was correct.
<π your vote on Rockin has been there since #86 for nonsense reasoning. Can you either grant us new valid reasoning or unvote?

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Yeah I misread all that.

UNVOTE: Rockin

I'll be gone a good chunk of today, but will be checking in and posting when possible.

We have a little more than a day to come to some kind of conclusion. I'm still waiting to hear more of anything from Mediocre Mediocre and --- --- .

Pythag Pythag How are you feeling now that a lot more has been said?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
My weekend is over so I have to work tonight. My activity will be down until tomorrow morning.

That's very problematic, seeing as how there's a good portion to discuss about. Is that really going to be your answer?
More or less for now. I've laid out my clues and don't have much else to say beyond wanting to poke other people into posting, if only to keep the conversation going like everyone else. I can't really say I've noticed a definitive flow to Day 1, beyond past games where Mayors try and prove themselves out of the gate.

Am willing to give a role claim in Night PMs to any interested party, no strings attached.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I still have next to nothing in terms of reads right now. I have the weak scum read on SB, and a very weak town read on <pi, but that might be me mistaking inexperience for innocence. Whether <pi is town or scum though, I suspect his opinions about day one strategy were misguided, but genuine.

In the next few hours I'll do a reread and more thoroughly break down my feelings on each player.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Am willing to give a role claim in Night PMs to any interested party, no strings attached.
Is this even allowed? This seems to go against rule 06 laid out in the OP. Tom Tom

Anyway, if there's no other discussion points to be had ATM I think we should try to make a list of our reads, and then question each other about anything that seems off.

Here's my listing, I actually wrote this last night but it hasn't changed based on stuff posted today:

Scumlean: lessthanpi
Slight scumlean: ---
Null: Rockin, Pythag, Mediocre
Slight townlean: Matunas, TownLeenk, Werekill
Townlean: Ya boi, of course.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
wowee.
Yeah, I'd really like for votes at this point to be more carefully placed. Matunas Matunas are you able to respond to Rockin's correction to your reasoning for voting on him? I went back through the posts and verified that he was correct.
<π your vote on Rockin has been there since #86 for nonsense reasoning. Can you either grant us new valid reasoning or unvote?
SB are you trying to bully people off of Rockin? Or am I missing something.
Cmon dude, random votes at the start of D1 are very common. There's nothing wrong with them and you've never offered any alternative strategy.
But now we need to be careful with our votes? Nah... I had a feeling about you... and now I'm feeling rockin even more. Nah... I'll keep the joke vote.

I asked you for clarification since you brought up the odds of lynching Mafia on the first night, directly in response to early random votes. I didn't think you were trying to push for a no vote, I was just concerned about the possibility.
It didn't feel like you were asking for clarity it felt like you were trying to bait a "new player" into saying yes to a dumb question.

p.s.
I like how you waited for Werekill my "joke vote" before piling on.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Is this even allowed? This seems to go against rule 06 laid out in the OP. Tom Tom
Are Night PMs not a thing in this game? If so that'll be a first for me. I always thought they were a given unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Either way I've given several clues to my role. That's the biggest contribution I feel I can make for now.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi

Anyway, if there's no other discussion points to be had ATM I think we should try to make a list of our reads, and then question each other about anything that seems off.

Here's my listing, I actually wrote this last night but it hasn't changed based on stuff posted today:

Scumlean: lessthanpi
Slight scumlean: ---
Null: Rockin, Pythag, Mediocre
Slight townlean: Matunas, TownLeenk, Werekill
Townlean: Ya boi, of course.
note post timings I didn't post this is response to being called scum. I do like the idea of a running list of where we place each other though.

TewnLeenk

BRoomer
I'm still having a bit of a tough time with my reads. I'm going to do a full reread when I'm not getting beat up by work and try compile some thoughts.

This is hard lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Pi I'm not trying to bully you off of Rockin, I'm trying to make you give an actual reason for it since your vote has been there for over 24 hours. I didn't post til after Werekill because his timezone is 3 hours ahead of mine.
Are Night PMs not a thing in this game? If so that'll be a first for me. I always thought they were a given unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Either way I've given several clues to my role. That's the biggest contribution I feel I can make for now.
I have no idea, this is my first forum mafia game on SWF.
And yeah, you definitely have.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
My reads

scumy: sb rockin werekill
scumish: teewn mediocre
Townish: pythag --- matunas
Towny: <3

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
My weekend is over so I have to work tonight. My activity will be down until tomorrow morning.

More or less for now. I've laid out my clues and don't have much else to say beyond wanting to poke other people into posting, if only to keep the conversation going like everyone else. I can't really say I've noticed a definitive flow to Day 1, beyond past games where Mayors try and prove themselves out of the gate.

The bolded line is weird as ****?

Why would you hint that you are a power role then immediately say that you're fine revealing that role in night PMs? Let's pretend that Night PMs are a thing. Literally every single player would be dumb not to immediately ask to get that claim in Night PMs.

If this is a gambit as Vanilla Town to draw fire/protect towards yourself, it's a bad one (and I mean no offense or intelligence insult there). I am failing to see the motivation as Town here.

If you are Scum, then this means you're drawing a protect towards yourself. I see more benefit for Scum here to do this gambit than town.

Currently I'm having a hard time deciding if this is just a bad town gambit or a good scum one. I'm 50/50 on it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Town gambits usually suck anyway, and there's no way Trihy has a read on a power role this early in order to do it well.
Please expand more on your reasoning here instead of a vague list.
Out of curiosity, why did you request lessthanpi to elaborate on his reasoning for his list but didn't for me? Do you feel that most of my reads had been explained in previous page(s) whereas Pi's weren't? Just wanting some consistency here and to understand your thinking a bit more.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Town gambits usually suck anyway, and there's no way Trihy has a read on a power role this early in order to do it well.

Out of curiosity, why did you request lessthanpi to elaborate on his reasoning for his list but didn't for me? Do you feel that most of my reads had been explained in previous page(s) whereas Pi's weren't? Just wanting some consistency here and to understand your thinking a bit more.
Tbh it's because I was typing up the bit towards ---, then the "view more" thing popped up with <pi's post directly before mine, so I immediately responded to it.

Please give more elaborate statements, it only helps. I'd love to see similar from you too, SB.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Read list, keeping in mind that it's a bit early for direct scum/town reads imo:

Scum lean:

Rockin: Still feels weird with the hesitancy to vote plus asking the two most active players to step back a bit. His answer to that didn't really satisfy me, and it still feels weird to me. Any player pushing for no voting early on D1 automatically is weird to me if they don't present an alternative strategy, but in Rockin's case, I could see this read softening over the course of the game. Depends on flips and actions.

<pi: Leaving the joke vote on while having the same hesitancy earlier as Rockin feels weird. I don't see any explanation for keeping the joke vote on, and his story of an earlier game as scum still absolutely reeks to me.

Tewn: Zero offense to Tewn here, but the lack of decisive reads and decisions this far in is a bit weird. "Hoo boy I should reread, I'm not sure how I feel" is odd, new player or not. While all of these reads are just leans, consider this one a much softer lean due to his newness.

Null but notable:

Strong Bad: I want to put you as town lean, but I'm forcing myself to keep you as null to account for bias. I don't want to instantly lean town on someone who agrees with me, is similarly active, etc. If I see more activity from you towards other players that mirrors my own thoughts before I post on them, I'll feel a lot safer about this not being a buddy attempt/bias on my end. If not for that, you'd be a town lean.

Null:

Everyone besides ---. Most other players have asked decent questions and had no huge issues, unless I missed something.

Town lean:

--- : I've decided to go with my gut and see their gambit as a Town player making a mistake. Let's pretend that this is a Scum gambit for a second- what Scum player would do this gambit this early, and without being prompted into it? The weird timing makes me think this is Town trying to be clever, or at least that's what my gut is saying.

TewnLeenk

BRoomer
Alright here's my reads:

Scumbos:

<pi: Some of the things you've been saying has seemed weird to me. Talking about past mafia games seems weird too. The "joke" vote doesn't help either.

Rockin: I almost want to put you as a Nullo, but I keep thinking of back when you wanted the active people to take a step back, and that's always stood out to me.

Nullos:

Werekill: You're acting pretty aggressively with the way you're addressing people, but I see it as you trying to get discussion started, which I can dig.

Matunas: Your early vote on me caught me off guard, but once again I see it more as you trying to get things rolling and getting reactions out of a new player, which again I dig.

Townos:

Everyone else

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Actually let's add Medi to the Scum lean list after a short reread. I've quoted the two weird posts that I found.

I find the wording of the quoted sections interesting. They all seem very carefully worded to strongly delineate between SB and "scum".

Strong Badam Strong Badam , is that something you're doing intentionally, or is it subconscious? It seems pretty unusual to me from the mafia games I remember playing.

Also, is there an easier way to tag people than manually typing out the bit? Feels like there must be, but I didn't see it.
On the surface, this post sounds like Medi calling out SB and questioning him for a bit of loose wording.

But let's look a bit deeper. The posts that Medi quoted were partially about activity vs inactivity in terms of how town should play, particular the third quoted post (not shown in this quote chunk of my post). This was Medi's first non-intro post since the game began; he certainly fell into the "inactive" player pool. To then have his first active post be a condemnation of a player calling out inactive players?

It's weird.

I still have next to nothing in terms of reads right now. I have the weak scum read on SB, and a very weak town read on <pi, but that might be me mistaking inexperience for innocence. Whether <pi is town or scum though, I suspect his opinions about day one strategy were misguided, but genuine.

In the next few hours I'll do a reread and more thoroughly break down my feelings on each player.
Not trying to sound full of myself, but I've been roughly as active as SB and more active than <pi. Why do you only have reads (albeit weak ones) on only those two players? Why explicitly choose one player as town read and one player as scum without mentioning any others? Again, it's weird.

Top Bottom