• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tomafia 4: Game Over - Mafia Wins!

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I was bragging a little. I talk about that game every time someone brings up mafia.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
:066:

I'm still trying to process all this information, but I will say that I like how things are getting right to the point. It's really the only way we can get some quality information, even it's still day one.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I live a very average life Werekill. I get it where I can.

I can't find the thread it was prob over ten years ago..... which makes that flex.. depressing.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Rockin, how else do you suggest we get info? We have at least some discussion going on now.
I mean you can get the info anyway ya want. I'm just going to take note of it, and even possibly judge the intention behind said method.

Like I get both Werekill and Strongbad have been talking a bit, but I'd like for them to take a backseat for a bit. I want to hear more information from the others (but I know it's early, and I am patient as we have a bit of time). Currently, i don't think Strong Bad's scummy. I'm seeing more of just playstyle then anything currently. I don't have a problem with werekill either, but wouldn't be against a lynch on him (though I want to see what my other options are).

EDIT: (had to fix strongbad's name. called him strongbag by accident LOOL)

Last edited:

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
VOTE: ROCKIN

He misspelled SB and broke the rules to edit it.
I misread on the rule heavily. Sorry D:

I'd really rather not take a backseat, if you don't mind Rockin. We only have 72 hours, and while things are slow at work, I'd like to ask as many questions as possible.
Not asking for the rest of the D1 period, just for now. Asking questions is fine, but it'll do little good if there isn't enough infos from the other's prespective to get a read on how they feel about things. Day's not going anywhere and the game just started.

But since you want to ask questions, may as well ask me since I only started posting recently.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
We need to start some discussion or Mafia won't have any opportunities to make mistakes.
If you're pro-town, you should be trying to discuss things, not delay discussion.
Hesitancy, lurking, inactivity etc all benefit scum too much.
I find the wording of the quoted sections interesting. They all seem very carefully worded to strongly delineate between SB and "scum".

Strong Badam Strong Badam , is that something you're doing intentionally, or is it subconscious? It seems pretty unusual to me from the mafia games I remember playing.

Also, is there an easier way to tag people than manually typing out the bit? Feels like there must be, but I didn't see it.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Here's one Rockin Rockin : you say that you have Strong Bad as not scummy, but you say you'd be fine with myself being lynched.

What is your clear, defined read on myself and Strong Bad? What differentiates between the two players? What is your read on <pi?

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Also, is there an easier way to tag people than manually typing out the bit? Feels like there must be, but I didn't see it.
I was trying to ask if there was a way to tag people without manually typing the USER=##### bit, but part of my message got interpreted as forum code and disappeared.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I was trying to ask if there was a way to tag people without manually typing the USER=##### bit, but part of my message got interpreted as forum code and disappeared.
Oh you can do @ then the letters of their name, and usually a drop down will appear with each letter. You can click the relevant user and it auto fills.

It's glitchy on mobile though.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Here's one Rockin Rockin : you say that you have Strong Bad as not scummy, but you say you'd be fine with myself being lynched.

What is your clear, defined read on myself and Strong Bad? What differentiates between the two players? What is your read on <pi?

Not a definitive clear, just a understand from what I'm seeing from Strongbad is more of playstyle than any sort of scummy intentions. I don't agree with some of the points he made, but I get the general feeling that he's looking for scum. I guess the same can be said for you as far as looking for scum, but my lean on a lynch from you is merely gut instincts atm.

I got nothing on<pi. Not seeing anything scummy or townie. Atm, I don't want to lynch him.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I should clarify that I didn't mean to say that you have a "clear - town" read on SB, more that I was asking for more clear, definitive reads put down on the record. Clear as in clarified etc.

Those reads are fair, though, Rockin.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
SB, what's your reads so far?

My current detailed reads are more or less null on everyone minus Pi, where his game-as-mafia bragging felt super weird. However, I'd love to see your answer to Medi's points from earlier, re: the posts from you.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I find the wording of the quoted sections interesting. They all seem very carefully worded to strongly delineate between SB and "scum".

Strong Badam Strong Badam , is that something you're doing intentionally, or is it subconscious? It seems pretty unusual to me from the mafia games I remember playing.
I'd say that the 2nd quote you quoted was rather aggressive and lines up with how you describe it, but the others are just me trying to promote discussion. I don't know how you all play so from a game theory standpoint I want to make sure everyone knows that discussion helps out the town. "Inactivity benefits scum" -> please be active, it wasn't necessarily trying to paint inactivity as scummy but rather that inactivity of a lot of folks including townies is harmful to town. If someone is super inactive for like the ENTIRE DAY PHASE then that'd be cause for concern but putting pressure on someone to be more active != calling them out as scummy IMO

Of course, the fact that I'm being active and promoting discussion doesn't mean I'm not scum, hence why you're questioning me right now.

Was that satisfactory?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
SB, what's your reads so far?

My current detailed reads are more or less null on everyone minus Pi, where his game-as-mafia bragging felt super weird. However, I'd love to see your answer to Medi's points from earlier, re: the posts from you.
OK, I answered Medi's post. I don't have good reads on anyone at the moment, but my read on lessthanpi's lines up with yours. It's a lot of weird stuff, like huge concern over someone having 2 votes on them, friction to RVS conceptually, bringing up the 7/9 chance to hit town, then quietly agreeing that we should eventually lynch after being called out on that.

I have weak scum reads on Pythag and --- but they aren't heavily substantiated at the moment.

I don't have a read on you yet, I think your behavior isn't necessarily towny or scum. Guess if I had to put a lean on it, it would be town.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Thanks for the explanation, Lore Lore .

Was that satisfactory?
Honestly, it just made me slightly more suspicious. I appreciated the detail you gave, but I would have also appreciated a more direct, yes/no answer to my question of whether you were intentionally wording your posts to try to delineate between "Strong Bad" and "scum".

That said, I don't think I've ever played with you, so I'm open to the idea that I'm just totally misreading your post/play style.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I was not intentionally wording my posts to try to delineate between Strong Bad and scum.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
OK, I answered Medi's post. I don't have good reads on anyone at the moment, but my read on lessthanpi's lines up with yours. It's a lot of weird stuff, like huge concern over someone having 2 votes on them, friction to RVS conceptually, bringing up the 7/9 chance to hit town, then quietly agreeing that we should eventually lynch after being called out on that.

I have weak scum reads on Pythag and --- but they aren't heavily substantiated at the moment.

I don't have a read on you yet, I think your behavior isn't necessarily towny or scum. Guess if I had to put a lean on it, it would be town.
Any particular reason for the Pythag and --- lean?

Thanks for the explanation, Lore Lore .

Honestly, it just made me slightly more suspicious. I appreciated the detail you gave, but I would have also appreciated a more direct, yes/no answer to my question of whether you were intentionally wording your posts to try to delineate between "Strong Bad" and "scum".

That said, I don't think I've ever played with you, so I'm open to the idea that I'm just totally misreading your post/play style.
I'll be real here and say that I may be a bit bias towards SB so far; I have them as null, but their agreeing with my posts may be making me much more lenient on their material. I directly pushed someone as scum last game for similar reasons to what you have here, Medi.

For now though, I'm going to keep SB as null and not really push this point. It may be my bias, but it feels like someone trying to spur activity like I was.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Thanks for the more direct answer, SB.

And Werekill, I think a null read on SB is totally reasonable. The only reason I'm pursuing my weak read as hard as I am is because it's the only read I've got.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I hear of discussion and whatnot, but all I see are just light wifom at metagaming and baseless votes.

Discussing INFORMATIVE information (or at least, as informative as it gets)rapidly is crucial to town. Rapid discussions with little to no base/value can lead to mislynches and possible lack of info to go on for the next upcoming Days, and I rather we take as much time as need to calmly discuss who we want to lynch and why.
You're right. So what information do you suggest we discuss? Do you see any?

I don't think anyone is arguing we need to rush through the day for a lynch. I think there's just an incredible lack of information that's even available on D1, so to posit this argument strikes me as empty. Of course we want to discuss informative information. Perhaps this is more and admission on how bad I am at the game, but I certainly don't have any information at this time.

How does "hesitancy" equate to scum behavior? I'm genuinely curious.

I feel like the opposite is true; rushing to vote people off without getting feelers out seems like a waste of a day for us, even day one.

We want to get as much evidence out of the day as possible. With a 7 in 9 chance of hitting town I guarantee you mafia won't get voted out day one. Good mafia players are going to try and steer any true threats of being voted out early. I feel like if we pay attention and don't just bandwagon on votes we might be able to see those connections more clearly.
I think you're allowed to be hesitant if you'd be putting someone at 3+ votes. That could easily be bandwagonned, and people taken out. Throwing a vote, and potentially even two, isn't exactly a call to alarm for me, especially on D1. You seem to want discussion without action.

You and Rockin are both talking about the importance of information, yet also seem to be spurning the act of voting which creates information and evidence.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
oooh, I lot of discussion took place? My browser didn't update??

reading now.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
The anti-voting stances I've been starting to take as hesitancy this early into the game, but that view can change given further posts.

I'll be honest here and say that it's definitely frustrating to not have much to go on right now. Coming in and saying "we shouldn't vote, we don't have enough info" when we literally had zero info just derailed the convo and erased any possible pressure.

Actually **** it, let's go with a vote in that direction out of frustration.

Unvote, Vote: Rockin

In hindsight, wanting the two most active players to "take a backseat" was super weird, especially while pushing to get more info at the same time. Wouldn't you want players to be more active, to get info on them specifically?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Also I'm assuming <pi's Rockin vote is a joke one, and since I legitimately want to vote for Rockin here, I'd recommend <pi to remove their vote since it's no longer a joke wagon.

If it somehow got to l-2 with the joke vote still on there, I'll unvote out of fairness until the joke got removed.

--- --- What are your reads so far?

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Whole lotta talking going on. Nice to see.

I think you're allowed to be hesitant if you'd be putting someone at 3+ votes. That could easily be bandwagonned, and people taken out. Throwing a vote, and potentially even two, isn't exactly a call to alarm for me, especially on D1. You seem to want discussion without action.
So far it seems the votes have been mostly to stimulate discussion more than anything. With that in mind though, I don't think on day 1, that someone at 3 votes has to worry too much of being bandwaggoned. If something like that happens it would be pretty telling as to who all jumped on and when.

Lot of prodding so far, so lets continue that trend. TewnLeenk TewnLeenk , you are new to mafia right? Welcome! VOTE: TewnLeenk

Lore Lore , you seem to be the most vocal so far and are getting conversation rolling. Whats your plan if D1 starts to come to a close with no good conclusion?

Strong Badam Strong Badam I agree with the vast majority of what you have said so far.

Mediocre Mediocre Rockin Rockin Hey guys. Long time.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
If it comes to a close without good conclusion, as in a No Lynch or a lynch without much discussion/info/reads attached? I'll be frustrated. It's why I keep pushing people to say their reads, even in this low-info scenario that we are currently in.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Sweet my first vote!

But seriously, I'm liking all the discussion going on and I like trying to figure out what people's gameplan is.

Which is why I have to call out Rockin's comment to tell people to pull back for a bit. I feel like people being more active and constantly prodding for information is a good thing for this game. Just something I noticed.

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
If it comes to a close without good conclusion, as in a No Lynch or a lynch without much discussion/info/reads attached? I'll be frustrated. It's why I keep pushing people to say their reads, even in this low-info scenario that we are currently in.
Hah, fair enough. Maybe this is a better way to phrase it: Is there a current standard in mafia these days for D1? I know no-lynch was always seen as terrible. Days are much shorter than when I was playing in the past, so harder to wait for something big to occur.

@ <π I'm in agreement with others in that player meta info doesn't help much. Were you simply looking for a way to spark discussion or looking at ways to get larger reads on people?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Hah, fair enough. Maybe this is a better way to phrase it: Is there a current standard in mafia these days for D1? I know no-lynch was always seen as terrible. Days are much shorter than when I was playing in the past, so harder to wait for something big to occur.

@ <π I'm in agreement with others in that player meta info doesn't help much. Were you simply looking for a way to spark discussion or looking at ways to get larger reads on people?
I'm not sure on the current trend, having only played one "modern" game. No Lynch is definitely terrible just from sheer game theory and logic, though.

UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin Funny, but please don't post if you aren't playing lol. You saw how annoyed I got at rule breaking in the other game.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So what are the votes at RN?
Rockin (2) - lessthanpi, Werekill
TewnLeenk (1) - Matunas
--- (1) - Strong Bad

My trihy vote isn't doing anything, so I will unvote without putting a vote on another player.

Does anyone who hasn't put a vote up have a strong opinion about anyone?
TewnLeenk TewnLeenk
Not asking for a wagon/vote necessarily, just trying to figure out where people are at in terms of reads.

Or like, if you were Cop, is there someone you'd really like to investigate atm?

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
You're right. So what information do you suggest we discuss? Do you see any?

I don't think anyone is arguing we need to rush through the day for a lynch. I think there's just an incredible lack of information that's even available on D1, so to posit this argument strikes me as empty. Of course we want to discuss informative information. Perhaps this is more and admission on how bad I am at the game, but I certainly don't have any information at this time.
I didn't see any at the time of my first few posts, but I believe we got stuff to work with.

Atm, I personally want to put a slight more of a focus on <pi and tewnleenk. despite the early tackle, I'm surprised neither of these two have been approached. Not just cause they're newer players, but maybe it'd help to get more of an idea of how they think?

<Pi & tewnleenk - Hello! I just want to ask ya a simple question. is there anyone you feel is scummy/suspicious, and why? I'm not asking for who you believe is town, but I want to get more of an idea to see how you guys see things/think.

Which is why I have to call out Rockin's comment to tell people to pull back for a bit. I feel like people being more active and constantly prodding for information is a good thing for this game. Just something I noticed.
I would also like your explanation behind this as well, seeing as you're keen to keeping your vote on me.

Now while I wait for that...

Actually **** it, let's go with a vote in that direction out of frustration.

Unvote, Vote: Rockin

In hindsight, wanting the two most active players to "take a backseat" was super weird, especially while pushing to get more info at the same time. Wouldn't you want players to be more active, to get info on them specifically?
Can one really say that you two have been active? can one say ya been active for good reason early on?

Jeeze, I can't even tell if you're serious or not.

But yes, I want players to be active. more players. Not just two. I'm not sure why you're gungho about being super active when that doesn't confirm that you're town at all. You say you're creating discussion, but I'm not seeing it. All I'm seeing is baseless accussions with pressure votes and comments.

I find it especially bothersome when you seem accepting of my read of you and SB.
Also I'm assuming <pi's Rockin vote is a joke one, and since I legitimately want to vote for Rockin here, I'd recommend <pi to remove their vote since it's no longer a joke wagon.
OR. OR.

You can unvote now and just vote when you actually want to lynch me. Choice is yours.

Mediocre Mediocre Rockin Rockin Hey guys. Long time.
Sup Bruh!

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Me being active does not equal town, same for Strong Bad. I've never even implied that.

I'm accepting of your read because it's basically null like every other read, but that doesn't mean I can't find your wanting us to "take a backseat" to be weird as hell.

Top Bottom