• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind if he ended up being called his Japanese name, Kinopio. It's fun, sounds kind of Italian, like Pinocchio.

There are rumors that the developers call Blue Toad "Bucken-Berry" and Yellow Toad "Ala-Gold". If Toad was given a similarly jaunty title it could be awesome.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
*crosses fingers for Toad to be confirmed as a newcomer in SSB4* :)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
This is a Toad moveset from the old PreBrawl days.

Toad's Design: Toad would be larger then Pichu, but still lacking in size. I picture him with racing gloves and specially designed shoes that have turbo boosters in the back to incorporate his special in MarioKart. Toad would be a nervous guy and when he was standing still he would be wringing his hands together and anxiously looking back and forth for danger. However, although Toad would be tiny and would have horrendous jumps that cover more horizantal ground then vertical ground (like a hopping toad, get it!) he would have suprising power. Besides DK, Toad would be the only one to be able to hop around while holding a barrel or crate and his running speed would be unhindered by the added weight. His paranoia would get him excellent dodging and evasion skills. This is necessary because Toad would be pretty light and would have horrible range during brawls.

Rapid A: Toad looks over his shoulder away from his oppenent, squeezes his eyes shut and wildly swings his arms.

Toward A: Does a roundhouse as one of his shoes thrusters shoots out smoke and embers making it a nice quick attack.

Up A: Thrusts his head upwards, character bounces off his mushroom hat. Good for juggiling.

Down A: Does a quick sweep kick

Smash Up: Toad spins on his head as his shoe boosters turn on. As he spins around his feet kick wildly in the air leaving streaks of fire. Hits Oppenent in a wide variety of paths depending on when they hit the spinning mushroom.

Smash Down: Toad quickly pulls out a POW block as he faces the screen does a backflip and then smashes the POW block onto the floor, sending a circular shockwave ripple across the floor near Toad. Charging up the Smash leads to a bigger POW block being ripped out of the ground.

Toward Smash: Skids forward a little with his shoes and pushes his enemy as he screams like a girl. Decent knockback and quick. Good at keeping enemies away.

B: Toad lobs a tennis ball upwards and then pulls out his racket. Pressing B again makes Toad swing his racket. If you press it at the right time the racket will hit the falling ball, sending it extemely fast like a missle in a straight path. Ball can have knockback at medium to high percentages on an oppenent. (If any other button is pressed other then B while the ball is in the air, Toad puts his racket away. Used for fake outs)

Toward B: Toads shoe thrusters turn on and sends him screaming forward (like when he uses the gold mushroom in MarioKart) as a trail of smoke follows. Toad pinwheels his arms and goes about as far as Falcon's kick. If he hits someone both Toad and the oppenent will bounce in opposite directions. Faster on ground then the air.

Up B: A magic carpet appears under Toad and he grabs the front edge. His face is a look of shock. He can freely travel in the air for three seconds. He can perform one air dodge while on his carpet.

Down B: Toad plucks a giant die from the ground. A press of A will throw it. The die rolls around, bouncing of walls or any oppenent for minor damage. When it stops it explodes. The size and ferocity of the explosion depends on the number facing the screen. 1 is a low blast and 6 is the largest with the biggest radius. Only one die from Toad can be on the stage at a time.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
This is a Toad moveset from the old PreBrawl days.

Toad's Design: Toad would be larger then Pichu, but still lacking in size. I picture him with racing gloves and specially designed shoes that have turbo boosters in the back to incorporate his special in MarioKart. Toad would be a nervous guy and when he was standing still he would be wringing his hands together and anxiously looking back and forth for danger. However, although Toad would be tiny and would have horrendous jumps that cover more horizantal ground then vertical ground (like a hopping toad, get it!) he would have suprising power. Besides DK, Toad would be the only one to be able to hop around while holding a barrel or crate and his running speed would be unhindered by the added weight. His paranoia would get him excellent dodging and evasion skills. This is necessary because Toad would be pretty light and would have horrible range during brawls.

Rapid A: Toad looks over his shoulder away from his oppenent, squeezes his eyes shut and wildly swings his arms.

Toward A: Does a roundhouse as one of his shoes thrusters shoots out smoke and embers making it a nice quick attack.

Up A: Thrusts his head upwards, character bounces off his mushroom hat. Good for juggiling.

Down A: Does a quick sweep kick

Smash Up: Toad spins on his head as his shoe boosters turn on. As he spins around his feet kick wildly in the air leaving streaks of fire. Hits Oppenent in a wide variety of paths depending on when they hit the spinning mushroom.

Smash Down: Toad quickly pulls out a POW block as he faces the screen does a backflip and then smashes the POW block onto the floor, sending a circular shockwave ripple across the floor near Toad. Charging up the Smash leads to a bigger POW block being ripped out of the ground.

Toward Smash: Skids forward a little with his shoes and pushes his enemy as he screams like a girl. Decent knockback and quick. Good at keeping enemies away.

B: Toad lobs a tennis ball upwards and then pulls out his racket. Pressing B again makes Toad swing his racket. If you press it at the right time the racket will hit the falling ball, sending it extemely fast like a missle in a straight path. Ball can have knockback at medium to high percentages on an oppenent. (If any other button is pressed other then B while the ball is in the air, Toad puts his racket away. Used for fake outs)

Toward B: Toads shoe thrusters turn on and sends him screaming forward (like when he uses the gold mushroom in MarioKart) as a trail of smoke follows. Toad pinwheels his arms and goes about as far as Falcon's kick. If he hits someone both Toad and the oppenent will bounce in opposite directions. Faster on ground then the air.

Up B: A magic carpet appears under Toad and he grabs the front edge. His face is a look of shock. He can freely travel in the air for three seconds. He can perform one air dodge while on his carpet.

Down B: Toad plucks a giant die from the ground. A press of A will throw it. The die rolls around, bouncing of walls or any oppenent for minor damage. When it stops it explodes. The size and ferocity of the explosion depends on the number facing the screen. 1 is a low blast and 6 is the largest with the biggest radius. Only one die from Toad can be on the stage at a time.

For whatever reason, I don't actually think about Toad as a Party/Sports character... If we get a party/sports-themed character I think it'd be Waluigi. Toad's been a playable character in enough primary titles that I would kind of want him to be mostly represented through those appearances (like your Ub+B recovery, that's fun to imagine).

But, if he plucks something out of the ground, I definitely would want it to be a block of some kind. I really like imagining Toad as a playable character... The more I think about him, the more positively I feel about this adorable mushroom.

Even if his voice is like a kid who's been smoking since he was a baby.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
One more day until we could see Toad in Smash. Praying he will be, because the little shroom has been too much of a meatshield in previous games. (-´A`-)

Let him handle the opponents directly Peach!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm glad this thread got revived. Good old Toad deserves it at this point.

CalumG

Smash Lord
One more day until we could see Toad in Smash. Praying he will be, because the little shroom has been too much of a meatshield in previous games. (-´A`-)

I can get on-board with that sentiment. Quite frankly Toad seems like enough of an iconic Nintendo character that he probably should have been in it since Melee. A lot of the characters I see people suggesting on Smashboards are decent-sounding fighters but only a handful are iconic 'all-stars' and Toad definitely is - having been a major character in Mario from the first SMB all the way to 2013.

Plus, it'd throw the community into turmoil. Many people are expecting that big series' like Mario and Zelda will only get one Newcomer (if any), so if they announce a character from one of the first franchises represented in Smash (Mario, Yoshi, DK, Metroid, Starfox, Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby, Mother, F-Zero) that may rustle some jimmies on the web and get people to re-evaluate some character choices they've personally invested in. Not that that's a bad thing - it does the community some good to get shaken up a bit every now and then since it fosters interesting discussion.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Al
I can get on-board with that sentiment. Quite frankly Toad seems like enough of an iconic Nintendo character that he probably should have been in it since Melee. A lot of the characters I see people suggesting on Smashboards are decent-sounding fighters but only a handful are iconic 'all-stars' and Toad definitely is - having been a major character in Mario from the first SMB all the way to 2013.

Plus, it'd throw the community into turmoil. Many people are expecting that big series' like Mario and Zelda will only get one Newcomer (if any), so if they announce a character from one of the first franchises represented in Smash (Mario, Yoshi, DK, Metroid, Starfox, Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby, Mother, F-Zero) that may rustle some jimmies on the web and get people to re-evaluate some character choices they've personally invested in. Not that that's a bad thing - it does the community some good to get shaken up a bit every now and then since it fosters interesting discussion.

agree all the way. 'specially the first part. Smashboards can get a bit inuslar, in that characters like RIdley or Isaac are considered grade A choices, and the like of Takamaru and Palutena safe enough bets. If you step back and think about it, the former are only big within certain Nintendo communities, and the latter are not really generally well known at all. Toad is one of the few first party characters who is truly iconic, and could get the same sort of recognition with more casual fanbases that the like of Wario and Snake did.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That's a great point about Toad, although I'd argue that the insular nature of SWF doesn't done without reasoning.

While Palutena and Takamaru, especially the latter are much less well known than other Nintendo characters, most of the choices in Smash games make the same kind of sense. I do agree though that were more likely to see recognizable characters and a couple WTF's in the trailer.

However, since we're kind of running out of general Nintendo all-stars, I think Palutena has a better shot for her importance. If I were to think of recognizable all-stars, even to a casual audience, the only usual hits left are:

Little Mac
K. Rool
Dixie
Toad/Paper Mario
Ridley. I'd think so?
Edit: Waluigi? Maybe? Not as much as Toad/BJ/P. Mario. I think...

Uhh... Yknow, I'm really not sure. Although I'd consider Palutena one, albeit less so.

However, I think Takamaru is an excellent choice for a Retro to appeal to the general audiences. He has an aesthetic that just...works.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
That's a great point about Toad, although I'd argue that the insular nature of SWF doesn't done without reasoning.

While Palutena and Takamaru, especially the latter are much less well known than other Nintendo characters, most of the choices in Smash games make the same kind of sense. I do agree though that were more likely to see recognizable characters and a couple WTF's in the trailer.

However, since we're kind of running out of general Nintendo all-stars, I think Palutena has a better shot for her importance. If I were to think of recognizable all-stars, even to a casual audience, the only usual hits left are:

Little Mac
K. Rool
Dixie
Toad/Paper Mario
Ridley. I'd think so?
Edit: Waluigi? Maybe? Not as much as Toad/BJ/P. Mario. I think...

Uhh... Yknow, I'm really not sure. Although I'd consider Palutena one, albeit less so.

However, I think Takamaru is an excellent choice for a Retro to appeal to the general audiences. He has an aesthetic that just...works.

I'd agree with the first four. I think Ridley is borderline; much as I love him I think he needs something like Smash to really put him up with the others. imo Waluigi only has it by association with his three superior counterparts.

But I agree with what you're saying, they're still good and reasonable choice that would fit in smash. It's just, when you're this deep in a fan community people may talk about Mario as much as they might Kid Icarus, because if they're that much into the Nintendo fandom KI would've been quite an important and exciting release for them, and it's nice to find a forum where people would be almost as inclined to play the latter as the former. I think peeps kinda become disconnected from how much more ubiquity Toad has than many "more likely" choices, and how much that ubiquity counts for with the developers and broader fanbase. I'm saying all this from having done it myself by the way, not judgin or whatever.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That's a good point. Yeah, really it's fascinating to find what characters players that aren't "fanatics" want.

Typically I only hear about Toad, K. Rool, and Little Mac. With a few others thrown in (Ghirahim, especially lately, and Chrom, but not in place of Ike)

I've seen people concerned that PM would be a Mario clone (Silly, but Captain Ganon), and that Ridley is already a boss (also silly)

One thing that assures me our group think isn't as bad as it could be, is that I get alot of casual discussions about characters (and believe me, I question nearly everyone I meet who plays games about Smash) and their rationalization a are oddly similar to our own.

Edit; Also Isaac. GoldenSun's popularity is crazy around here. Not as many mentions as K. Rool/Toad (who I also get attached to "Peach needs a new move") or Little Mac (Check the Punch-Out!! Miiverse, it's pretty inspiring.)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One thing I worry about with Toad is that Japan as a whole is quite pessimistic about his odds. In my eyes, two situations can come of this. Negatively, Sakurai sees little Toad mentions because of this, and does not add Toad. Alternatively, he sees that Toad has fans who worry about his chances, and cheers up the fans by adding Toad. Let's just hope Sakurai's a nice guy. :p

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
2013 Moveset

Toad!

A quick grappler with powerful throws. Toad is fast, has good rolls, an average side step, and moves with decent to incredible knockback that lack high damage. His jumps are quick, but short (just like a toad). But with his powerful throws, Toad doesn't need his enemies to be sky in high in damage to take them out of the ring.

Ground Attacks

A: Closes eyes, leans back, and throws two quick slaps forward.
A, repeated: Closes eyes, leans back, throws two quick slaps forward, and then slaps in a blur-like fashion.

Dash A: Trips over feet, and rolls like a bowling ball knocking opponent's up.

Toward A: A quick drop-kick. Lands on back after the move, but gets up quickly. Comes out quick; decent knockback.

Up A: Jumps slightly upwards, character bounces off his mushroom hat. Good for juggling.

Down A: When crouched, puts one foot forward and slides a small distance. If the opponent has high damage in relation to their weight, they may trip over Toad and land on their back.

Toward Smash: Skids forward a little with his shoes and pushes his enemy as he screams like a girl. Hit opponent flies away in a forward trajectory. Good knockback, low damage.

Up Smash: Flips onto his head, spins while crunching up his body and then kicks hard upwards. High stun, decent knockback.

Smash Down: Toad quickly pulls out a POW block as he faces the screen does a
back-flip and then smashes the POW block onto the floor, sending a circular shockwave ripple across the floor near Toad and a circular shockwave. Charging up the Smash leads to a bigger POW block being ripped out of the ground. High vertical knockback if on the ground, a small push if airborne and in contact with the shockwave.

Specials

Side B (Ground): Toad braces his feet, whirls his arms in a circle, and quickly reaches out. If he grabs the opponent, Toad automatically begins spinning with opponent in hands (like Mario's back throw). B can be mashed to in increase spinning speed. A is pressed to let go. Direction depends on position of opponent when A is pressed, distance throw depending on how fast the spinning.

Side B (Air): Toad whirls his arms in a circle and then reaches out. If the opponent is caught, Toad begins spinning the opponent using the opponent as a propeller to move from side to side (like DK's up B, except for whirling arms he is using his whirling opponent). Mashing B Makes Toad spins faster and move quicker. Pressing A makes his throw his opponent upwards.

Down B: Crouches low and starts flashing just like in Super Mario Brothers Two. Springs up while twirling arms at the side. Height of the jump depends on the charge. The top of his head is a hit-box Automatically jumps at end of charge. Cannot perform Up B, or down B until he hits the ground. But gets one regular jump and ability to attack.

B: Spores begin to flow from Toad's head. Running and jumping around leaves a wake of spores that quickly fade. Walking through the spores give damage to the enemy. Cannot attack in this condition. A press of A or B will end the flowing spores with slight lag before an attack can be performed.

Aerials:

Up A: Aerial headbutt, similar to DK's

Down A: Claps shoes together, points toes downward, and spins like a drill. First part hits downward, twirl does damage.

Back A: Turns around in a curled position and rapidly kicks five times. Last hit has decent knockback.

Forward A: Leans forward, so his whole body is parallel to the floor and pushes. Decent KB, low damage.

Neutral A: Faces screen, does a jig with his legs as his body rotates 360 degrees.

Throws:

A: Shin kicks.

Toward A: While holding Opponent's hands, lifts the enemy straight above him so the top of their heads are touching (like how he picks up enemies in SMB2). Can jump, move around, and then throw opponent like DK's forward throw.

Down A: Leaps on top of opponent's head and kicks off. Leave enemy briefly stunned with stars over head if their percentage is high enough, but propels Toad upwards.

Up A: Shot-puts (places enemy alongside a shoulder with one hand pushes away) the opponent in a forward moving arch

Back A: Flips the enemy so the opponent rotates 360 degrees in a cartoon blur slightly above the ground. Reaches into the blur and throws the opponent backwards.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Even though Toad wasn't confirmed right away, I still think there is a good chance of Toad getting in SSB4 as a newcomer. Nintendo seems to be giving the Toad species a lot of more attention as of lately. Pre-Brawl, Toads were only playable in spin-off games but had only one playable role in the main games (SMB2) but that was way back in 1988. Post-Brawl, Toads are playable in at least four main Mario games (NSMBWii, NSMBU, NSLU, and SM3DW).

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Blue Toad for Smash, I guess.

Only half-trolling.

Remember, the developers' name for Blue Toad is Bucken-Berry. Doesn't that just make you more excited? (or less.)

In any case, Toad definitely would be representing Red, Blue, and Yellow Toad as well. And, er, Green Toad, I guess. Maybe Green Toad would represent One Up mushrooms?
(Green on the main part of the head, not the dots)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I would assume his colors would be the Red (default), Blue, Yellow, Green, and Purple Toads from NSMBW and Galaxy 2, as well as perhaps a Pink color to represent Toadette. Just my view on his colors.

D

Deleted member

Blue Toad is also mysteriously referred to as just "Toad" in the upcoming game.
With that in mind as well as the Mario vs. DK series making the Mini-Toads be blue after their debut in Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis, perhaps blue being Toad's default color isn't that farfetched.

EDIT: So Peach could keep the red dot + blue vest Toad as her meat shield while the playable Toad is solid blue with a solid red, green, yellow, etc. set of alternate colors.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Blue Toad is also mysteriously referred to as just "Toad" in the upcoming game.
With that in mind as well as the Mario vs. DK series making the Mini-Toads be blue after their debut in Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis, perhaps blue being Toad's default color isn't that farfetched.

EDIT: So Peach could keep the red dot + blue vest Toad as her meat shield while the playable Toad is solid blue with a solid red, green, yellow, etc. set of alternate colors.

I think the popular vote on the thread is for Peach to start using a wriggling Toadsworth for her meatshield. Yes, because it frees up Toad, but mostly because it's hilarious to imagine.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ah well, at the end I was referring at color limitations. The artwork for SMB2 still shows Toad in SMB2 was The Toad (red-spot-blue-vest), obviously.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Does it really matter what color Toad is? This is another win for the Toad species.

Besides, it is pretty obvious that Nintendo wanted to color code the characters for multiplayer purposes.

Red = Mario
Green = Luigi
Blue = Toad
Yellow = Peach

Even THE Toad (red Toad) is playable in some sort of single player mode.

EDIT: Peach should totally have a palette swap where she is wearing a red/white wedding dress complete with red hair just like in her SMB sprite.

D

Deleted member

Peach is Pink. There is no "Yellow" this time (other than Mario's Cat Suit).

EDIT: So the reason Toad is blue is because of SMB2. The entire system of the 4 characters is a throwback to that.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

Naw, he was blue-spotted just because of NES color limitations. All-stars fixes that.

D

Deleted member

All-Star also made Tryclyde turquoise when he's supposed to be red like in the NES version according to his artwork. :awesome:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
All-Star also made Tryclyde turquoise when he's supposed to be red like in the NES version according to his artwork. :awesome:

Hah, hmm. Oh. Well, I don't have anything to say to that, no idea why they'd do that. A red fireball spitter makes more sense than a cool turquoise. Looks like the All-Stars for the gameboy advance also had him that color, just a little lighter.

Man, why didn't they bring back some of those bosses? I liked Mouser and Tryclyde.

And... Robirdo from the Gameboy remake? Whaaaa?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Nintendo likes Toad. It just depends if Sakurai does.

All racers in Mario Kart 64 would be characters in Smash if Toad does indeed make it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
From the start I pretty much dismissed Toad's chances as slim. But Nintendo is putting extra focus on him. And he would fit perfectly in this brighter Smash world.

Of course, the newcomers could primarily short men if Toad and Little Mac get in to join the Villager and Megaman.

D

Deleted member

Little Mac isn't that short though (he's as tall as a Charizard in canon).
It's just his opponents are so damn big.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac isn't that short though (he's as tall as a Charizard in canon).
It's just his opponents are so damn big.
Yeah but smash don't give two ****s about canon height. I actually kind of agree in terms of having too many short, strong, somewhat cartoony protagonist dudes. spice of life, etc. Little Mac better be bigger than his AT.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah Little Mac better be bigger than his AT.

Well, at the time of Brawl, his canon height was actually a foot shorter than what it is now, if that helps. He'd likely be bigger as a playable character. Although, this might be better for the Mac thread.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Well, at the time of Brawl, his canon height was actually a foot shorter than what it is now, if that helps. He'd likely be bigger as a playable character. Although, this might be better for the Mac thread.

Good to hear. And yeah, you're right.

I know most peeps thought Toad would be a starter prior to the announcement trailer; has that changed for anyone else since? I get a feeling most of the characters we thought would be starters will be left to unlockables now as they're mostly secondary within their franchises. Though Toad's more iconic than average, too.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still think Toad might be in SSB4 even if as an unlockable like Luigi is.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
This is my 100th post, I need to celebrate by posting something of the most extreme importance.
TOAD FOR SSB4!!!!

Groose

Smash Champion
All racers in Mario Kart 64 would be characters in Smash if Toad does indeed make it.
Wow, that's actually pretty cool. I'm trying to think of a way to prove you wrong right now, but I believe you are correct.

Anywho, if another Mario character is to make it, Toad definitely is the most deserving. The poor fellow has been there forever. But please, if he does make it, make his moveset unorthodox and completely outside the box. Toad does have the potential for that. For example, and this may not be canonical, but in the old cartoon series, Toad used to take off his fungus-hat-thing and use it as a parachute when he was in danger of falling. I always found it hilarious and pretty awesome; I'd love to see a similar mechanic in Smash if he were to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom